Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oh, boy! Here we go. ACC advocates for 8-team playoff
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
http://www.heraldsun.com/breakingnews/x7...or-playoff

The 1st iteration of the CFP hasn't even been played and John Swofford, commissioner of the ACC, is advocating for an expansion of the playoff to 8 teams.

Quote:Speaking at Wednesday's weekly Durham Sports Club meeting at the Croasdaile Country Club, Swofford said an eight-team playoff, "in terms of the number of teams, would probably be ideal."

This season marks the debut of a four-team College Football Playoff, replacing the BCS, which chose two teams for a national championship game.

"I don't think all the controversy's going to go away," Swofford said of the new system. "You have four teams that get a chance to play for the national championship, which is twice as many as before, but whoever's fifth or sixth is not going to be happy. There will be some conferences that won't have a team in the playoff."

The ninja is at it again. Look out.
11-19-2014 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
RE: Oh, boy! Here we go. ACC advocates for 8-team playoff
The SEC would love that.

1. Alabama (SEC)
8. Ole Miss (SEC)

4. Mississippi State (SEC)
5. TCU (Big XII)

2. Oregon (PAC12)
7. Baylor (Big XII)

3. Florida State (ACC)
6. Ohio State (B1G)
11-19-2014 04:44 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

Swofford also talks expansion (or really the lack thereof):

Quote:Swofford spoke on a variety of topics in his half hour speech to the Sports Club. He expects the major college conferences to remain stable for a while after a “tumultuous decade” that saw many teams switch conferences, including his own league’s addition of four teams in the last three years.

“For the next 12 to 15 years, I don’t think you’ll see movement in the Power Five conferences,” Swofford said. “Unless someone grows and adds a team not currently in the Power Five, but I don’t think you’ll see any teams moving within it.”
11-19-2014 04:47 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-19-2014 04:42 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://www.heraldsun.com/breakingnews/x7...or-playoff

The 1st iteration of the CFP hasn't even been played and John Swofford, commissioner of the ACC, is advocating for an expansion of the playoff to 8 teams.

Quote:Speaking at Wednesday's weekly Durham Sports Club meeting at the Croasdaile Country Club, Swofford said an eight-team playoff, "in terms of the number of teams, would probably be ideal."

This season marks the debut of a four-team College Football Playoff, replacing the BCS, which chose two teams for a national championship game.

"I don't think all the controversy's going to go away," Swofford said of the new system. "You have four teams that get a chance to play for the national championship, which is twice as many as before, but whoever's fifth or sixth is not going to be happy. There will be some conferences that won't have a team in the playoff."

Note this comes after FSU drops from 2 to 3 despite being the only unbeaten and Alabama jumps from 5 to 1 while MSU only falls to 4 after losing.
11-19-2014 04:50 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(11-19-2014 04:44 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  The SEC would love that.

1. Alabama (SEC)
8. Ole Miss (SEC)

5. TCU (Big XII)

2. Oregon (PAC12)
7. Baylor (Big XII)

3. Florida State (ACC)
6. Ohio State (B1G)

Except 4&8 still have to play. SEC would get two in, tops this year in a 8 team playoff unless there was some major chaos
11-19-2014 04:58 PM
westwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CFB

1. Alabama (SEC)
8. Ole Miss (SEC)

5. TCU (Big XII)

2. Oregon (PAC12)
7. Baylor (Big XII)

3. Florida State (ACC)
6. Ohio State (B1G)

No, Ole Miss wouldn't make it; they'd be supplanted (replaced for SEC fans) by Marshall/BSU/Memphis.
11-19-2014 05:06 PM
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: Oh, boy! Here we go. ACC advocates for 8-team playoff
Take each of the P5 champions(5), the highest ranked G5 Champion(1), and 2 at large bids. The 2 at-large bids can come from the P5 or G5. That would eliminate any qualms about the system.
11-19-2014 05:13 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
The momentum to 8 is already gaining speed. Even though the contract is for 12 and that is the offical statement, this will get amended to 8 before the 6th year and start in year 7. So, two bowls will left out of the rotation for 1 year which is probably the bowl the G5 auto bid will be playing in. Gotta to wonder how it will that will be worked out.

If the Big 12 is forseeing this then they can hang tight on expansion and take what ever lumps come over the next 6 years.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 05:17 PM by MWC Tex.)
11-19-2014 05:16 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
8 teams is definitely the most logical, fair way to proceed. P5 champs + 3 at-large. two things are sure to happen in the next few years:
1. P5 conferences not named the SEC will complain about their champ being left out.
2. the P5 will realize how much $ a 4 team playoff makes and does the math to see how much an 8 team playoff would make.

just my best guess, could be wrong.

(11-19-2014 04:42 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://www.heraldsun.com/breakingnews/x7...or-playoff

11-19-2014 05:21 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(11-19-2014 05:16 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The momentum to 8 is already gaining speed. Even though the contract is for 12 and that is the offical statement, this will get amended to 8 before the 6th year and start in year 7. So, two bowls will left out of the rotation for 1 year which is probably the bowl the G5 auto bid will be playing in. Gotta to wonder how it will that will be worked out.

If the Big 12 is forseeing this then they can hang tight on expansion and take what ever lumps come over the next 6 years.

Note that the contract is only for 5 games, but it could very easily be expanded to more if they use home sites for top seeds. Also note that the actual CFP bowl contracts (Rose, Sugar and Orange aside) are for only 6 years, with a look-in after 3.

It seems like they wanted to keep alive the possibility for expansion.

the question remains, how do the P5 guarantee the super-duper-majority of the revenue? That has always been the question that has kept expansion of the playoff away. They figured it out for the BCS. They figured it out for the CFP. Now they have to figure it out for the expansion.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 05:26 PM by CommuterBob.)
11-19-2014 05:22 PM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
#noexpansionwithoutaccess
11-19-2014 05:24 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(11-19-2014 04:58 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

1. Alabama (SEC)
8. Ole Miss (SEC)

5. TCU (Big XII)

2. Oregon (PAC12)
7. Baylor (Big XII)

3. Florida State (ACC)
6. Ohio State (B1G)

Except 4&8 still have to play. SEC would get two in, tops this year in a 8 team playoff unless there was some major chaos
Except look at the polls...
9 UCLA would still have to play Oregon
10 Georgia(another SEC team)
11 Michigan St
12 Kansas St would still have to play Baylor

So if Oregon and Baylor held serve- Georgia would sneak up in there. Esp in Baylor's case- a loss, and they're out.
11-19-2014 05:25 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(11-19-2014 05:22 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(11-19-2014 05:16 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The momentum to 8 is already gaining speed. Even though the contract is for 12 and that is the offical statement, this will get amended to 8 before the 6th year and start in year 7. So, two bowls will left out of the rotation for 1 year which is probably the bowl the G5 auto bid will be playing in. Gotta to wonder how it will that will be worked out.

Note that the contract is only for 4 games, but it could very easily be expanded to more if they use home sites for top seeds. Also note that the actual CFP bowl contracts (Rose, Sugar and Orange aside) are for only 6 years, with a look-in after 3.

It seems like they wanted to keep alive the possibility for expansion.

the question remains, how do the P5 guarantee the super-duper-majority of the revenue? That has always been the question that has kept expansion of the playoff away. They figured it out for the BCS. They figured it out for the CFP. Now they have to figure it out for the expansion.

I did think about have the first round on the campus sites, but it seems the P5 will still like the relationship with those bowls.

I don't see there is any need revised the revenue. Just keep it the same percentage. The 27% the G5 have currently can stay the same but the total number will be just bigger most likely. The $$ from the contract bowls can still roll into the P5 cut. Perhaps, I'm a little of base there though.
11-19-2014 05:28 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Well that didn't take long, did it?
11-19-2014 05:29 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
No way p5 ever agrees to a G5 champion for an auto bid. It would be be the top 8 teams. Odds are all p5 would get a team in. Still not sure P5 conference wants to risk being left out of the 8. That would be a major embarassment. Hint to the ACC.
11-19-2014 05:30 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
I think we'll get 8 teams but no AQ so that the G5 doesn't have (legal) room to complain (since 8 actually opens up the possibility for multiple G5 conferences to place teams such as the years Boise, Utah and TCU were all in the Top 10) and besides, there have been several years in recent memory where the ACC and B1G champ didn't even finish in the Top 10 and so would have no right to be automatically included.

And for the whiners, it would be very rare for ANY conference to get more than 2 teams.

This year, it would probably be something like this:

1) Alabama 12-1 *SEC champ*
2) Oregon 12-1 *PAC champ*
3) FSU 13-0 *ACC champ*
4) TCU 11-1 *B12 Co-champ*
5) Ohio State 12-1 *B1G champ*
6) Baylor 11-1 *Big 12 Co-champ*
7) MSU 11-1 SEC at large
8) Wisconsin 10-2 B1G runner up

That's 3 conferences with 2 reps each. and seems like it would be a pretty solid field to determine #1
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 05:42 PM by 10thMountain.)
11-19-2014 05:40 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(11-19-2014 05:40 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I think we'll get 8 teams but no AQ so that the G5 doesn't have (legal) room to complain (since 8 actually opens up the possibility for multiple G5 conferences to place teams such as the years Boise, Utah and TCU were all in the Top 10) and besides, there have been several years in recent memory where the ACC and B1G champ didn't even finish in the Top 10 and so would have no right to be automatically included.

And for the whiners, it would be very rare for ANY conference to get more than 2 teams.

3) FSU 13-0 *ACC champ*
7) MSU 11-1 SEC runner up

That's 3 conferences with 2 reps each. and seems like it would be a pretty solid field to determine #1

10-2 Georgia would get in over 10-3 Wisconsin.
11-19-2014 05:41 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
(11-19-2014 05:41 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-19-2014 05:40 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I think we'll get 8 teams but no AQ so that the G5 doesn't have (legal) room to complain (since 8 actually opens up the possibility for multiple G5 conferences to place teams such as the years Boise, Utah and TCU were all in the Top 10) and besides, there have been several years in recent memory where the ACC and B1G champ didn't even finish in the Top 10 and so would have no right to be automatically included.

3) FSU 13-0 *ACC champ*
7) MSU 11-1 SEC runner up

10-2 Georgia would get in over 10-3 Wisconsin.

true, my scenario assumes a 12-1 Bama team beats Georgia in the SEC CCG to give them a 3rd loss, but there are multiple teams that could be #8 depending on where the cards fell, I just picked one
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 05:46 PM by 10thMountain.)
11-19-2014 05:45 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(11-19-2014 05:40 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I think we'll get 8 teams but no AQ so that the G5 doesn't have (legal) room to complain (since 8 actually opens up the possibility for multiple G5 conferences to place teams such as the years Boise, Utah and TCU were all in the Top 10)
You are definitely correct that giving the shaft to G5 is an important part of the process. We'll have to see how the P5 handles that.

Quote:there have been several years in recent memory where the ACC and B1G champ didn't even finish in the Top 10 and so would have no right to be automatically included [in an 8-team field]
Isn't that a very powerful incentive for those two leagues to oppose the kind of set-up you are proposing?

Quote:And for the whiners, it would be very rare for ANY conference to get more than 2 teams.
Any conference other than the SEC. I won't say the SEC would nab 3 out of 8 slots in a "typical" season, but it would happen quite a bit. And it would almost never happen for any other league.
11-19-2014 06:00 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(11-19-2014 05:25 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-19-2014 04:58 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

1. Alabama (SEC)
8. Ole Miss (SEC)

5. TCU (Big XII)

2. Oregon (PAC12)
7. Baylor (Big XII)

3. Florida State (ACC)
6. Ohio State (B1G)

Except look at the polls...
9 UCLA would still have to play Oregon
10 Georgia(another SEC team)
11 Michigan St
12 Kansas St would still have to play Baylor

So if Oregon and Baylor held serve- Georgia would sneak up in there. Esp in Baylor's case- a loss, and they're out.
Alabama may finally get to play Georgia after beating Missouri in the SEC Championship game.
11-19-2014 06:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.