11-19-2014 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: NCAA FB Coaches Salaries
Yep.

82nd highest salary... and we perform a bit above there. Also, second highest in CUSA. Marshall seems to be getting more for their money... SMU clearly got far less.

A case can be made in either direction... but it's really pointless. We aren't going to pay millions. We just aren't. We have to find ways to win against 'better' teams that don't involve having higher paid coaches.
11-19-2014 01:11 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Actually more like 90th, if you assume the schools with no info at the bottom of the list pay more than Rice.

Marshall's getting bang for its buck!
11-19-2014 01:19 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
AAC coaches:
44, 48, 58, 62, 67, 68, 69, 70, 75, 83

CUSA coaches:
79, 82, 84, 86, 88, 89, 93, 96, 98, 100, 101, 102, 110
11-19-2014 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
The five highest paying AAC schools are 8-12 OOC, with two FCS wins; and they have no team in the running for an access bowl slot.

I'm still not feeling the envy.
11-19-2014 01:33 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
This goes to ya's gets what's ya's pay for. The amazing one (without detailed analysis-just saw it) is UL-Lafayette-geesh.....
11-19-2014 01:42 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Look at Notre Dame
11-19-2014 02:03 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(11-19-2014 02:03 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Look at Notre Dame

I noticed that as well. That seems like an aberration.
11-19-2014 02:04 PM
Advertisement

Converted Rice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice/Baylor
Pretty sure that Baylor is now paying Briles north of $4 million. He got two raises before the Fiesta Bowl last year.
11-19-2014 05:09 PM
Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

I Root For: The Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
I know this will never work because of revenue sharing and what not, but here is a crazy idea: Base salary of 250K or whatever. Now here is the kicker, depending on what bowl you get the team to that is where the rest of your salary comes from. The coach and staff would get a nice fat slice of that paycheck. IOW, the better you play, the better your pay! How's that for incentive?
11-20-2014 02:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(11-20-2014 02:16 AM)Chef Owl Wrote:  I know this will never work because of revenue sharing and what not, but here is a crazy idea: Base salary of 250K or whatever. Now here is the kicker, depending on what bowl you get the team to that is where the rest of your salary comes from. The coach and staff would get a nice fat slice of that paycheck. IOW, the better you play, the better your pay! How's that for incentive?

Are you suggesting this just for Rice, or for every G5 school, or for every Division 1 school?

The answer doesn't really matter. But the reason that kind of system won't work is a little different for each frame of reference, and the frame of reference wasn't clear from your post.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 07:30 AM by Rick Gerlach.)
11-20-2014 07:28 AM
Barrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice, SJS

New Orleans Bowl
Incentive compensation makes sense, but you don't want to go overboard with it, especially with the incentive tied to one particular milestone. Because incentive compensation creates a lot of, um, incentive to have the end justify the means. I'm not talking about Rice or Bailiff in particular; I'm just speaking generally.
11-20-2014 10:29 AM
Advertisement

Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(11-20-2014 10:29 AM)Barrett Wrote:  Incentive compensation makes sense, but you don't want to go overboard with it, especially with the incentive tied to one particular milestone. Because incentive compensation creates a lot of, um, incentive to have the end justify the means. I'm not talking about Rice or Bailiff in particular; I'm just speaking generally.

Plus if there are 125+ jobs available, and you have a unique contract structure that could limit your compensation (and you feel that some factors - i.e. facilities, recruiting restrictions, limitations on assistants salaries - are out of your control), you are going to limit the available pool of coaching applicants. Yes, someone will be willing to take a shot, but a truly hot commodity, up and coming young assistant will be able to wait for a better contract/offer. And guys like the recently canned Florida coach would never even consider it (not that I think he would be a fit here anyway).
11-20-2014 10:25 PM
owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
Some major discrepancies between usatoday and coacheshotseat. For example, Notre Dame and Mich St have very different rankings.. Assuming it comes down to how you calculate comp as there are many components...

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CFBCoachesSalaries.htm
11-21-2014 02:01 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(11-20-2014 10:25 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  
(11-20-2014 10:29 AM)Barrett Wrote:  Incentive compensation makes sense, but you don't want to go overboard with it, especially with the incentive tied to one particular milestone. Because incentive compensation creates a lot of, um, incentive to have the end justify the means. I'm not talking about Rice or Bailiff in particular; I'm just speaking generally.

Plus if there are 125+ jobs available, and you have a unique contract structure that could limit your compensation (and you feel that some factors - i.e. facilities, recruiting restrictions, limitations on assistants salaries - are out of your control), you are going to limit the available pool of coaching applicants. Yes, someone will be willing to take a shot, but a truly hot commodity, up and coming young assistant will be able to wait for a better contract/offer. And guys like the recently canned Florida coach would never even consider it (not that I think he would be a fit here anyway).

I think this is a good point, even if the contract structure applied across the board. There would be a reverse incentive to go to schools where it's easier to place in a bowl game - if 80% of the conference goes to bowl games (with higher payouts because of P5 contracts), versus maybe 50% in low paying bowls, how would you hire a coach that would leverage the school from G5 to P5? You would be less able to compete for high quality coaches than you are now.
11-21-2014 09:40 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(11-21-2014 09:40 AM)I45owl Wrote:  
(11-20-2014 10:25 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  

I think this is a good point, even if the contract structure applied across the board. There would be a reverse incentive to go to schools where it's easier to place in a bowl game - if 80% of the conference goes to bowl games (with higher payouts because of P5 contracts), versus maybe 50% in low paying bowls, how would you hire a coach that would leverage the school from G5 to P5? You would be less able to compete for high quality coaches than you are now.

I think y'all have pretty much settled this, but I'll pile on with one more: Too much of the bowl selection process is out of the coach's hands. In many cases, your record only gains you access to the post-season. From there the ADs, Conference Commissioners, and Bowl Reps do the horse trading to decide who goes where. Hard to imagine a coach agreeing to assign a significant portion of his compensation to such an arbitrary process.
11-21-2014 12:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.