Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Selection Committees and their bias against MAC teams.
Bookmark and Share
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC
NCAA Selection Committees and their bias against MAC teams.
It happens nearly every year in one sport or another.

This time the Akron Men's Soccer team has been summarily dismissed. Despite having a clearly superior record, a better RPI, and defeating Ohio State in Columbus; guess where their first-round game will be played?

At Ohio State. Huh?

Over the years, I've become convinced the NCAA is able to dismiss the MAC because we have no powerful advocates. Basically no one in the press, athletics, or government that can effectively "call out" these playoff committees during the instances when they blatantly undervalue our member schools.
11-18-2014 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: NCAA Selection Committees and their bias against MAC teams.
I knew college football was dysfunctional, I had hoped that soccer would be a little more fair. I guess not.
11-18-2014 03:21 PM
El Grande Flippero Offline
1st String

I Root For: BG!! SU!!
[Image: ncaa.jpg]

The Bozzzzzzz......
11-18-2014 08:19 PM
Advertisement

Rocket Man Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I'm tired of it as well. Anyone interested in proposing a G5 playoff for football? Maybe we could pit the G5 winner against the P5 winner. Kind of like how the nfl came together. I hate the p5 bias.
11-19-2014 01:17 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
That's why when the playoff expands to 8 with all P5 champs being AQ---it is absolutely imperative that the G5 access bowl slot becomes a G5 AQ playoff slot.

If its up to the committee to decide when a G5 is worthy of inclusion in the playoff---their anti-G5 bias virtually precludes that ever happening. However, if a G5 slot is REQUIRED----then the basic anti G5 bias included in the "are they worthy" question is eliminated. I suspect the selection committee is more than capable of doing a solid job of simply selecting the best of the 5 G5 champions.
11-19-2014 01:40 AM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
We need an 8 or 16 team with one or more of those slots going to P5 schools. Anything less is a maneuvered rip-off of the so called P5 institutions. Dear lord I hate ESPN, Saban, the Pig10....
11-19-2014 11:20 AM
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC
Even if the football playoffs were expanded to 16, I'd be very surprised if a G5 team was selected. Look at this year: Marshall and Colorado State are both ranked in the AP and Coaches Polls, but NO WHERE to be found in the "High and Mighty" committee Top 25 ranking.
11-19-2014 01:04 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(11-19-2014 11:20 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  We need an 8 or 16 team with one or more of those slots going to P5 schools. Anything less is a maneuvered rip-off of the so called P5 institutions. Dear lord I hate ESPN, Saban, the Pig10....

Did you mean G5?

I would like a 16 team playoff and the season SHORTENED to 11 games.

I would guarantee 2 slots to G5 teams.

IF 8 team playoff, G5 guaranteed 1 slot.

Or how about these potatoes:

Ten teams: 5 P5 champs + 1 at large from non-conference schools = 6 and then 4 G5 would play a 'play in' game for the other 2 slots.

OR: 32 teams (again a 11 game season) with 24 from the P5 conferences and 8 from the rest.

OR 24 teams: 8 first round byes and the other 16 play a play-in game = 16 teams for the '2nd round'.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 01:18 PM by emu steve.)
11-19-2014 01:14 PM
dfn2006 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Here is a look at the bias (in college football) against the non-Power 5 teams as a whole, specifically Marshall and Colorado State this season.

Marshall and Colorado State show us the future of college football - the little guys are going to get screwed - http://www.collegesports-fans.com/articl...11814.html

This is a perception issue across the board in college athletics.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 01:41 PM by dfn2006.)
11-19-2014 01:40 PM
Advertisement

OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
(11-19-2014 01:14 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Did you mean G5?

Ten teams: 5 P5 champs + 1 at large from non-conference schools = 6 and then 4 G5 would play a 'play in' game for the other 2 slots.

OR: 32 teams (again a 11 game season) with 24 from the P5 conferences and 8 from the rest.

OR 24 teams: 8 first round byes and the other 16 play a play-in game = 16 teams for the '2nd round'.

Why not 16 teams with automatic qualifiers for the champions of each of the 10 FBS conferences and the remaining 6 slots going to at-large candidates. That gives the big boys 11 slots and it also gives every team in the country a fair shot.
11-19-2014 03:14 PM
dfn2006 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(11-18-2014 08:19 PM)El Grande Flippero Wrote:  [Image: ncaa.jpg]

The Bozzzzzzz......

(11-19-2014 03:14 PM)OUVan Wrote:  
(11-19-2014 01:14 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Did you mean G5?

Why not 16 teams with automatic qualifiers for the champions of each of the 10 FBS conferences and the remaining 6 slots going to at-large candidates. That gives the big boys 11 slots and it also gives every team in the country a fair shot.

Since when did "fair" matter?
11-19-2014 08:55 PM
BullBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo
(11-18-2014 02:02 PM)Okie Chippewa Wrote:  It happens nearly every year in one sport or another.

This time the Akron Men's Soccer team has been summarily dismissed. Despite having a clearly superior record, a better RPI, and defeating Ohio State in Columbus; guess where their first-round game will be played?

At Ohio State. Huh?

Over the years, I've become convinced the NCAA is able to dismiss the MAC because we have no powerful advocates. Basically no one in the press, athletics, or government that can effectively "call out" these playoff committees during the instances when they blatantly undervalue our member schools.

Our women's soccer team got the shaft by the NCAA as well. We finished with an RPI of 32 in the regular season, but had to travel to Penn State, one of the top five teams in the country, because they felt the need to regionalize all matchups. I women went 16-2-3 and deserved to face a team they matched up better with.
11-19-2014 10:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.