Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Day: Oakland
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Kind of a big game, already?

Oakland has played more games (and a top 25 team) then us and seem a little further along.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/oakl...116aaa.pdf

Believe they have 10 kids from Michigan. I believe 4 will start. Steve Bell probably could do a good scouting report on Oakland.

As Dennis mentions they are very strong at PG and C.

Too bad Bond isn't healthy. I'd love to see him go up against a PG, Felder, who appears to be a rising star. That would be a 6' 6" PG vs. say a 5' 8" PG. PGs come in different sizes. Alvano is kind of in between.

So, as I see it, Oakland is strongest at PG and C (Petros); we are strongest SF and SG although we have some PGs who can play. Talley vs. Felder isn't a bad matchup, esp. down the stretch if the game in on the line. I hope Alvano can stay with Felder. Alvano might get his real introduction to D-I ball tonight.

We will do center by committee and have 15 fouls to give. Ajayi vs. Petros might be better then Monday Night Football. From what I can see in photos, etc. Ajayi physically looks in very good shape.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2014 07:34 AM by emu steve.)
11-17-2014 06:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
Just glad that Bader is gone and I don't have to see deep ball after deep ball go through against the zone. That was a very impressive performance to see live last year.

6 point favorites for what that's worth, which is nothing besides home court.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2014 07:03 AM by EAGLE KING.)
11-17-2014 07:02 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

RE: Game Day: Oakland
Talley owned Felder last year, with 21 points, 9 assists, and no turnovers. It was probably his best game of the season. Hopefully he can have similar success today.

The stat from last year that stood out to me...Oakland hit 14 three pointers against us, and 10 of them came from Bader. They only played seven guys against us, and four of them are back this season. They had a pretty short bench against ISU too, so I expect similar to happen. Hopefully we can push the tempo with our depth and tire them out.

I personally don't take much from margin of victory/defeat. They played ISU decently, but at the end of the day, they lost. Last year, we beat a Green Bay team that was coming off a win against Virginia and an OT loss to Wisconsin. Good thing they play the games.

Kampe has had trouble with our zone the last two years, being bailed out by Bader's ridiculous shooting. If we can find any consistent offense, I think we win comfortably. If we struggle shooting like we did in the first game, it could be another nail biter.
11-17-2014 08:30 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Oakland came to Ames and hung with Iowa State-a legit Final 4 contender. All American Georges Niang stated in the Des Moines Register that he couldn't stop Corey Petros. I like Oakland in this one!
11-17-2014 08:58 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

(11-17-2014 08:30 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Kampe has had trouble with our zone the last two years, being bailed out by Bader's ridiculous shooting. If we can find any consistent offense, I think we win comfortably. If we struggle shooting like we did in the first game, it could be another nail biter.

I agree. We shot just 10% from beyond the arc in the first half against St. Francis, and finished at 16.7%. We'll need to better than that today. I'd like to see better ball movement inside as well.
11-17-2014 09:19 AM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
i think we'll need a big game (18-20 points) from Ray Lee or a surprise game from someone else. Scoring will be at a premium for us tonight.
11-17-2014 09:52 AM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Yes Frank, if they shoot against Oakland as they did against St Francis this will be a contest. I wasn't at all impressed with us against St Francis.
11-17-2014 09:52 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-17-2014 08:58 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Oakland came to Ames and hung with Iowa State-a legit Final 4 contender. All American Georges Niang stated in the Des Moines Register that he couldn't stop Corey Petros. I like Oakland in this one!

Interesting how things change in college sports.

Last year Oakland had Petros, but teams got killed by Bader and his three ball.

This year the Oakland three ball won't kill opponents but the inside game might?

Complete opposite game plan?
11-17-2014 10:22 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2014 06:35 AM)emu steve Wrote:  We will do center by committee and have 15 fouls to give. Ajayi vs. Petros might be better then Monday Night Football. From what I can see in photos, etc. Ajayi physically looks in very good shape.

This may be a night where we really miss Riley. I'm curious to see how Ajayi/Samuels/Hunter do against Petros. Riley did a very good job on him last year, and Petros was visibly getting frustrated. Having three legit "big men" to throw at him is nice. Bob mentioned Niang said he couldn't stop him, which isn't surprising considering Niang is a forward playing center generously listed at 6'8.

Oakland always plays the high majors tough. They hung with Gonzaga and almost beat MSU last year. Because they gave Iowa State a decent challenge doesn't mean they'll play as effectively against us, a much taller and longer team with a different defense. I agree with Aaron that someone like Lee will have to take the reins in terms of scoring. I'm hoping it's Talley...I still think he drives this team, even if he isn't starting. A good game from him usually results in a win.
11-17-2014 10:32 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2014 10:22 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(11-17-2014 08:58 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Oakland came to Ames and hung with Iowa State-a legit Final 4 contender. All American Georges Niang stated in the Des Moines Register that he couldn't stop Corey Petros. I like Oakland in this one!

This year the Oakland three ball won't kill opponents but the inside game might?

Petros has always had a decent offensive post game. When he plays undersized opponents like Iowa State, he should do well, and he did. I like our chances better to contain him with two 6'10+ guys, and a 6'9 house of a man, rotating on him.

That being said, if Petros goes for 30 on us, we are probably in trouble.
11-17-2014 10:35 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

I was impressed with the minutes I saw from Hunter on Friday. Looks to be a good defender. I'm sure we'll see some of him against Petros tonight.
11-17-2014 10:35 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-17-2014 10:35 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(11-17-2014 10:22 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Petros has always had a decent offensive post game. When he plays undersized opponents like Iowa State, he should do well, and he did. I like our chances better to contain him with two 6'10+ guys, and a 6'9 house of a man, rotating on him.

That being said, if Petros goes for 30 on us, we are probably in trouble.

I'm going to get some ideas here from my favorite basketball mag (Sam knows the one).

Oakland is a strange team - up and down the court - and try to outscore teams yet has a 260 lbs. workhorse (Petros).

Petros is a mediocre FT shooter (51% last year) which means... the post play might be better then the (FB) line play at Rynearson. We have some big boys who will probably foul the hell out of Petros tonight. I can see Murphy subbing his big men say every 4 minutes and a lot of leaning, grabbing, etc.

I assume McCune will start and isn't a good three ball shooter.

Max Hooper was brought in to be the designated 3 ball shooter for Oakland. Big shoes (Bader) to fill.

Dante Williams is another good three ball shooter.

And, finally, I get to use one of Hoopster's expressions: "Felder is the straw which stirs the drink."

(think I got the 5 starters right).
11-17-2014 10:46 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

oakland roster - exhibition stats
probable starters
no. name pos. ht./wt. yr. stats notes
20 Kahlil Felder pg 5-9, 170 so 23.0 ppg, 10.0 apg preseason all-league; dbl-dbl at #14 ISU
10 Max Hooper g 6-6, 201 jr-r 6.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg career-high 4 rebs and 2 steals in opener
2 Dante Williams f 6-6, 183 sr 7.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg went 1-for-6 from 3 at #14 ISU
23 Tommie McCune f 6-8, 200 jr-r 14.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg reached dbl figures despite foul trouble
42 Corey Petros c 6-10, 239 sr-r 16.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg 10-for-12 from floor w/25 pts at #14 ISU
11-17-2014 10:49 AM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

(11-17-2014 10:49 AM)emu steve Wrote:  oakland roster - exhibition stats
probable starters
20 Kahlil Felder pg 5-9, 170 so 23.0 ppg, 10.0 apg preseason all-league; dbl-dbl at #14 ISU
10 Max Hooper g 6-6, 201 jr-r 6.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg career-high 4 rebs and 2 steals in opener
23 Tommie McCune f 6-8, 200 jr-r 14.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg reached dbl figures despite foul trouble
42 Corey Petros c 6-10, 239 sr-r 16.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg 10-for-12 from floor w/25 pts at #14 ISU

they have a player named Max Hooper?!??!! get out of town. i'm jealous.

re: your comments about Talley having a big game, i agree. i take it for granted that we'll get 10pts from Talley and 14pts from Ward. (we're spoiled with those two) i'm looking for someone else to step up and provide big offense.
11-17-2014 10:57 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2014 10:57 AM)EMUAARON Wrote:  
(11-17-2014 10:49 AM)emu steve Wrote:  oakland roster - exhibition stats
probable starters

they have a player named Max Hooper?!??!! get out of town. i'm jealous.

re: your comments about Talley having a big game, i agree. i take it for granted that we'll get 10pts from Talley and 14pts from Ward. (we're spoiled with those two) i'm looking for someone else to step up and provide big offense.

If anyone can do it, it's Lee. We've seen him follow up quiet games with hot shooting nights (I'll never forget the UT-Arlington game where he dropped 38). I can't imagine we will go 3-18 from three again. Lee and Ward (and likely Price) are better shooters than that. First game rust, perhaps.

Question for people that saw the first game...how did Okoloji look? His box score numbers sound pretty efficient. One thing we've never had under Murphy is a stretch-4, or another forward that can hit threes outside of Ward. Could he possibly be an x-factor for us?
11-17-2014 11:02 AM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

(11-17-2014 11:02 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Question for people that saw the first game...how did Okoloji look? His box score numbers sound pretty efficient. One thing we've never had under Murphy is a stretch-4, or another forward that can hit threes outside of Ward. Could he possibly be an x-factor for us?

Okoloji is an interesting one. He did well on defense. he had a few steals and filled passing lanes nicely. there were also a few times where the St Francis big was under the hoop for an easy catch and layup. i'm not sure who missed that guy on the rotation, but i think it was Okoloji once or twice. not a big deal, just something for him to figure out.

on offense, i'm worried that he'll try to go above his ability (driving into traffic, shooting a 3 with 20 seconds left on the shot clock) and it will result in turnovers/bad shots. he reminds me of GBIII during his junior season, when he would try to beat guys 1-on-1 from 20 feet, and it would end in an awkward turnaround from 13 feet out.

Okoloji could also be a nice surprise with a lot of hustle plays and great defense. i'd say his floor is a turnover-prone hustle guy, and his ceiling is a solid defensive player who efficiently scores 8 pts/game.
11-17-2014 11:43 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I can dig that, especially if he can hit a spot up three here and there. I cringed every time GB even thought about shooting a three. Hopefully Okoloji finds a niche offensively. We have enough players that can be the "guy". Having someone that can spot up when Talley or Lee penetrate would be a valuable asset. I look forward to seeing him against D1 competition.
11-17-2014 12:02 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-17-2014 10:35 AM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  I was impressed with the minutes I saw from Hunter on Friday. Looks to be a good defender. I'm sure we'll see some of him against Petros tonight.

Let me promulgate a "Key to Victory":

EMU's three centers vs. "The Great Petros" 03-lmfao
11-17-2014 12:30 PM
Dennis Hoopster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eagles
(11-17-2014 12:30 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(11-17-2014 10:35 AM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  I was impressed with the minutes I saw from Hunter on Friday. Looks to be a good defender. I'm sure we'll see some of him against Petros tonight.

Let me promulgate a "Key to Victory":

EMU's three centers vs. "The Great Petros" 03-lmfao

Don't forget about Felder, he runs the show
11-17-2014 12:44 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Vegas odds seem to be dropping to 5 or even 4 1/2 points (EMU favored).

Must be a lot of folks from Oakland County vacationing in Vegas. Lol.
11-17-2014 03:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.