Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State @ YSU
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Kent State @ YSU
The Flashes open the season on Saturday Night at Youngstown State University's Beeghly Physical Education Center. The Penguins are coming off of a 15-17 season that included a four point loss to Kent State at the MAC Center.

Gone for YSU are last year's leading scorers Kendrick Perry, Kamren Belin and Ryan Webber. But 6'10 junior Bobby Hain returns inside. Hain averaged 11 points and 7 rebounds last season and should provide a nice early test for the KSU bigs. The Penguins have some size on their roster with a few 6'7/6'8 types and a 7 footer from Andover Kansas who played with Oral Roberts last season.

Senior point guard DJ Cole is the leading returner in the YSU backcourt. Cole averaged around 8 points per game last year. He had 59 turnovers and 43 assists in what I assume was a backup role.

Word on the street is we have a new attitude to go along with a "new" frontcourt this season. My hope is that Thomas, Brewer, Jackson and Manley give opponents fits while the post players develop a rotation and an identity. This will be a tough one on the road, but KSU seems like the more veteran squad.

Kent State 74
YSU 67
Kris Brewer scores 17 and Ortiz scores some big points down the stretch.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 12:45 PM by fallsdog.)
11-14-2014 12:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TinManJoshua Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Kent State @ YSU
What's the video situation for this one?
11-14-2014 03:21 PM
LetsGoGuins Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: YSU
(11-14-2014 03:21 PM)TinManJoshua Wrote:  What's the video situation for this one?
ESPN3.

YSU is super young. Kent is definitely a favorite. I am an eternal optimist, but I have no read on this team. Kent by 5.

Also, no words about this game on the YSU boards because YSU has a must win football game tomorrow afternoon at home. Let's just say if we win we are likely in the playoffs, if we lose we have to beat three time defending FCS champ NDSU in Fargo next week. As you know, football reigns supreme here.
11-14-2014 10:36 PM
anti-zip Online
All American

I Root For: kent state!
I saw in the RC today that Marvin Jones is being redshirted. We've failed to redshirt some obvious candidates in recent years so I'm guessing this is a sign that the staff really does believe this team is deeper specifically in the post, than the last few years.
11-15-2014 04:38 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

Going to away games always make me appreciate the home games.
11-15-2014 06:55 PM
Advertisement

Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

69-61!
11-15-2014 09:18 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Nice start. We should know a lot in a week. Four home games next week.
11-15-2014 09:21 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(11-14-2014 12:14 PM)fallsdog Wrote:  The Flashes open the season on Saturday Night at Youngstown State University's Beeghly Physical Education Center. The Penguins are coming off of a 15-17 season that included a four point loss to Kent State at the MAC Center.

Gone for YSU are last year's leading scorers Kendrick Perry, Kamren Belin and Ryan Webber. But 6'10 junior Bobby Hain returns inside. Hain averaged 11 points and 7 rebounds last season and should provide a nice early test for the KSU bigs. The Penguins have some size on their roster with a few 6'7/6'8 types and a 7 footer from Andover Kansas who played with Oral Roberts last season.

Senior point guard DJ Cole is the leading returner in the YSU backcourt. Cole averaged around 8 points per game last year. He had 59 turnovers and 43 assists in what I assume was a backup role.

Word on the street is we have a new attitude to go along with a "new" frontcourt this season. My hope is that Thomas, Brewer, Jackson and Manley give opponents fits while the post players develop a rotation and an identity. This will be a tough one on the road, but KSU seems like the more veteran squad.

Kent State 74
YSU 67
Kris Brewer scores 17 and Ortiz scores some big points down the stretch.

You meant Ortiz throws an elbow down the stretch and gets tossed? 03-lmfao
11-15-2014 09:38 PM
FlashPan Offline
2nd String

I was there tonight and we played just good enough to win. YSU was no pushover. Their big man star Hains got into foul trouble and finally fouled out. If he had stayed in the game Kent would have had their hands full securing the win. The officiating left a lot to be desired. At one point Thomas was pushed out of bounds and the refs decided otherwise. The YSU fans around me had a good laugh over it as it was so obvious to everyone that the refs made a wrong call. So be it on the road. We have some work to do if a MAC championship is to be secured especially the defense IMO. Manley kept us in the game in the first half with his expert three point shooting. His shot is amazing. And give Spicer credit.... he made just about every foul shot, what an improvement from last year!
11-16-2014 12:30 AM
Advertisement

Old School Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-16-2014 12:30 AM)FlashPan Wrote:  I was there tonight and we played just good enough to win. YSU was no pushover. Their big man star Hains got into foul trouble and finally fouled out. If he had stayed in the game Kent would have had their hands full securing the win. The officiating left a lot to be desired. At one point Thomas was pushed out of bounds and the refs decided otherwise. The YSU fans around me had a good laugh over it as it was so obvious to everyone that the refs made a wrong call. So be it on the road. We have some work to do if a MAC championship is to be secured especially the defense IMO. Manley kept us in the game in the first half with his expert three point shooting. His shot is amazing. And give Spicer credit.... he made just about every foul shot, what an improvement from last year!

What were your impressions of Jimmy Hall?
11-16-2014 08:36 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

Hall is a load. Hustle Belt even tweeted last night that the rest of the MAC had better study up on how to stop him.
11-16-2014 09:17 AM
FlashPan Offline
2nd String

I think last night was a shake down for Hall. I think once he finds himself and settles in that you are going to see some really great plays by this guy. He kind of sneaks up on you. By that I mean he was high scorer but it didn't seem that way at the game. I thought Akbar had a few great moves also but didn't get many minutes. I would have liked to have seen Manley cut loose in the second half like he did in the first but YSU seemed to have shut him down. He's definitely the "go to" guy when push comes to shove. The foul shooting really needs attention. 50% last night and that is going to bite Kent if it doesn't improve. Kent was lucky that Y was just as bad.
11-16-2014 10:27 AM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies
Was at the game. Youngstown has a pretty good team. They have size and quickness so we were challenged. I did not think that anyone on our side looked outstanding but I was looking for mid season form. OK, I am not very practicable. Seriously, we threw a lot of pieces and parts at them. Everyone that played made a contribution. Good win on the road.
11-16-2014 01:55 PM
Advertisement

cschierh Offline
1st String

I thought:
-- Defense left a lot to be desired especially in the first half.
-- Spicer and Hall have to avoid foul trouble. Hall played only 21 minutes.
-- Foul shooting (except for Spicer, amazingly) was awful.
-- YSU was a better team than I expected (or we're a lot worse).
-- Brown sure didn't make much of an impression.
-- Why didn't Manley try at least one shot in the second half?
-- Any idea why Lawrence didn't play?
11-16-2014 10:48 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

We need to relax on judgements after 1 game. KSU played well enough to win and while we may not shoot lights out from the line every night, I can guarantee we won't shoot 58% on the year either. We are fine and will continue to improve.
11-17-2014 12:02 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

1 game played and the same number of wins as the football team (that should infuriate some on here!).
11-17-2014 12:03 AM
Old School Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-16-2014 10:48 PM)cschierh Wrote:  I thought:
-- Defense left a lot to be desired especially in the first half.
-- Spicer and Hall have to avoid foul trouble. Hall played only 21 minutes.
-- Foul shooting (except for Spicer, amazingly) was awful.
-- YSU was a better team than I expected (or we're a lot worse).
-- Brown sure didn't make much of an impression.
-- Why didn't Manley try at least one shot in the second half?
-- Any idea why Lawrence didn't play?

Sendy reported that Lawrence was serving a 2 game sue sign for something that happened prior to fall practice.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2014 07:05 AM by Old School Flash.)
11-17-2014 07:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.