Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Random Thoughts
Bookmark and Share
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
Random Thoughts
I wonder what the record for least amount of interceptions thrown by a starting QB with say a minimum of 200 attempts is? Hare's thrown 1 pick this season as a first year QB, even his biggest critic has to admit that's impressive. What's even more impressive is the fact he's had hardly any near misses too. He had one last week when Maxwell quit on his route, but that wasn't his fault. He had one against CMU as well. It's very rare he makes a throw where you think it wasn't a ball he should have thrown. His decision making has been fantastic. Now if we can just work on that accuracy.

Whether it's talent, coaching, or the system (probbaly a combination of the 3), NIU's QBs have been amazingly efficent. Going back to Harnish's senior year, NIU's passers have completed 62% of their passes for 97 TDs and only 22 INTs. That is unbelievably efficent, especially when you consider it doesn't include the huge rushing yardages and TDs they've put up. I think what this year has proven more than anything is that if you run the ball and don't turn the ball over, you'll win a lot more games than you'll lose.

It's getting pretty old watching other fanbases try to tear down NIU before every game. I understand there's a bit of a Yankees/Patriots effect going on right now where everyone is tired of getting curb stomped by NIU, but Christ. These are schools where being 8-2 are dream seasons and NIU is 8-2 in a "down year" and we have to hear about how "beatable" NIU is every week before NIU goes out an inevitably beats them.

The coaching job done by Carey this year is incredibly underrated.

If you would have told the 16 year old version of myself a day would come where NIU would beat Toledo 5 straight times I might have literally **** myself.

You know your program has made it when your main rival in the division is talking about moral victories after you beat them. I've seen multiple posts on the Toledo board talking about how it's a positive they only lost by 3 with their 4th string QB playing.

Since being hired, Rod Carey has as many or more Big Ten victories (3) as Pat Fitzgerald (3), Kevin Wilson (3), Tim Beckman (2), and Darrell Hazell (1).

It's going to take less help for NIU to get into a BCS/Access Bowl now than it did when NIU made it to the Orange Bowl.

With (hopefully) 4 games left, there's a possibility NIU will have 2 1,000 yard rushers (Cam 706, Hare 687) in back to back years.

How much do you love Christian Hagan already?

It's really a shame the students and alumni in the area have missed out on the absolute pleasure it's been rooting for this team for the last 5 years.

I've had a vacation day for MAC Championship Friday put in since the summer.

I want to see an NIU/Bowling Green rematch if for no other reason to see how many plays are run. 200+ might not be out of the question.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 10:50 AM by 7.)
11-14-2014 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

clcfball11 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!!!
RE: Random Thoughts
All good stuff and couldn't agree more.

The help we need to make an access bowl is SO much less than we needed in 12/13. It's literally a matter of 2 or 3 games going our way (in addition to us winning out obviously). I'm skeptical of our ability to compete if we do make that game, but that's not to be worried about right now.

Great numbers on Hare. Hard to believe he's been that good on paper when the eye test sometimes tells a different story. The NIU offensive system has to be one of the crispest in the country. A QB's dream.
11-14-2014 10:41 AM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
I agree, great post. We all need to read this from time to time, hard facts are usually right in front of us but we (me) tend to read the eye test more and ride the emotional roller-coaster. I think Bebe is going to be huge, when he caught the ball one handed on a hard hope sure to be an endzone ball I knew this kid was going to be special. Why I like him so much, he makes really good moves after the catch, does not seem to just make the catch, he makes the catch and starts swimming up stream fast. love it
11-14-2014 11:42 AM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Every week Coach Carey begins his press conference saying "Well we have a lot to clean up". And it's true. Every game we kill 2 or 3 drives with self inflicted stuff like dumb penalties, blown assignments and dropped passes. Easy stuff to fix. Imagine how many points we'll put on the board once we stop doing that. It's amazing that we've won 8 games while giving away possessions like that.

Here are some examples from the Toledo game:

-We had 6 three and outs. One was a four and out when we couldn't convert 3rd and 3 and 4th and 2.

-On our first possession we had 3rd and 1 at the Toledo 45 when a false start killed the drive.

-On our second possession we had 2nd and 10 at the Toledo 26 when a substitution penalty pushed us back and we ended up settling for a field goal.

-We had first and goal at the Toledo 2 and had to settle for a field goal.

-Our first possession of the second half featured a DaRon drop and a false start which resulted in a 3 and out.

-The offensive pass interference penalty wiped out a touchdown.

Somehow we still managed to put up 27 points and win the game. Cut those mistakes in half and its about 45 points. This team will be really nasty if they can just clean it up a little bit.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 11:58 AM by NIU1981.)
11-14-2014 11:48 AM
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Int stat is intriguing.

Forde always does his last QB to throw an int watch in his column and some guys go late every year.

Considering Hare locks on to guys like few I've seen, it's amazing he hasn't thrown more.

Our system is conducive for efficiency. Very simple route combos...lots of go, post, quick outs, bubbles, curl and slants.
11-14-2014 12:10 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(11-14-2014 10:28 AM)7 Wrote:  I wonder what the record for least amount of interceptions thrown by a starting QB with say a minimum of 200 attempts is? Hare's thrown 1 pick this season as a first year QB, even his biggest critic has to admit that's impressive. What's even more impressive is the fact he's had hardly any near misses too. He had one last week when Maxwell quit on his route, but that wasn't his fault. He had one against CMU as well. It's very rare he makes a throw where you think it wasn't a ball he should have thrown. His decision making has been fantastic. Now if we can just work on that accuracy.

Whether it's talent, coaching, or the system (probbaly a combination of the 3), NIU's QBs have been amazingly efficent. Going back to Harnish's senior year, NIU's passers have completed 62% of their passes for 97 TDs and only 22 INTs. That is unbelievably efficent, especially when you consider it doesn't include the huge rushing yardages and TDs they've put up. I think what this year has proven more than anything is that if you run the ball and don't turn the ball over, you'll win a lot more games than you'll lose.

It's getting pretty old watching other fanbases try to tear down NIU before every game. I understand there's a bit of a Yankees/Patriots effect going on right now where everyone is tired of getting curb stomped by NIU, but Christ. These are schools where being 8-2 are dream seasons and NIU is 8-2 in a "down year" and we have to hear about how "beatable" NIU is every week before NIU goes out an inevitably beats them.

If you would have told the 16 year old version of myself a day would come where NIU would beat Toledo 5 straight times I might have literally **** myself.

You know your program has made it when your main rival in the division is talking about moral victories after you beat them. I've seen multiple posts on the Toledo board talking about how it's a positive they only lost by 3 with their 4th string QB playing.

Since being hired, Rod Carey has as many or more Big Ten victories (3) as Pat Fitzgerald (3), Kevin Wilson (3), Tim Beckman (2), and Darrell Hazell (1).

It's going to take less help for NIU to get into a BCS/Access Bowl now than it did when NIU made it to the Orange Bowl.

With (hopefully) 4 games left, there's a possibility NIU will have 2 1,000 yard rushers (Cam 706, Hare 687) in back to back years.

It's really a shame the students and alumni in the area have missed out on the absolute pleasure it's been rooting for this team for the last 5 years.

I want to see an NIU/Bowling Green rematch if for no other reason to see how many plays are run. 200+ might not be out of the question.

I can see the Toledo fans' point about trying to win with your 4th string QB against one of the best (or the best) team in the conference on the road. But other than that, I agree.
11-14-2014 12:43 PM
Advertisement

The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
I don't think the other fanbases are wrong for saying NIU is beatable. They are. NIU is one turnover or missed tackle from losing a few more games. Which, yeah yeah, I know, you could say that about a lot of teams/games, but I think it's important to note because it shows how well coached the team is.

NIU isn't LeBron James this year, they don't have a Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl type player. I'd call what NIU does precision grinding.....or maybe sculpting wins out of a huge hunk of granite. The hard way and such. They don't have dynamite or a chainsaw to do quick carving, they have to slowly scratch away with less modern tools.

Though NIU isn't as explosive and fun to watch as when they have a sexy sexy QB, people really should appreciate the hard work, precision, and will that have gone into the wins this year. Every play matters and there's nobody to bail out NIU if they make a few mistakes and get behind (CMU game). EVERY GAME and nearly EVERY PLAY are pressure packed. That's exhausting mentally and NIU has held up remarkably well and have played incredibly poised to survive and advance in this season that has become a playoff ever since the CMU loss. I think that reflects incredibly well on Carey, to get a generally young squad to play like this.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 12:48 PM by The Frisky Biscuit.)
11-14-2014 12:45 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Building off what Frisky said, it's amazing when you think about how few "impact" plays we have had this year. In the Harnish/Lynch years we had 20+ yard plays coming at a frantic pace and from tons of different players. This year we are lucky to get a few per game and they rarely go for TDs. Da'Ron has some long TD catches but we haven't gotten much of anything from the RBs and WRs. Hare has had a few long runs but nothing compared to what we've grown to expect. Everything is coming in 5-15 yard increments. Ducee's emergence could really open up some more looks for this offense though. The lack of big plays is probably another reason people are somewhat down on this team and the offense.

The info posted by 1981 is a good reminder of how bad this season could have gone. Almost every game has had similar situations to the ones posted from the Toledo game. Somehow we've managed to get wins and keep moving forward.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 01:00 PM by armour248.)
11-14-2014 12:59 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(11-14-2014 10:28 AM)7 Wrote:  I wonder what the record for least amount of interceptions thrown by a starting QB with say a minimum of 200 attempts is? Hare's thrown 1 pick this season as a first year QB, even his biggest critic has to admit that's impressive. What's even more impressive is the fact he's had hardly any near misses too. He had one last week when Maxwell quit on his route, but that wasn't his fault. He had one against CMU as well. It's very rare he makes a throw where you think it wasn't a ball he should have thrown. His decision making has been fantastic. Now if we can just work on that accuracy.

Very well said. I think it's always good to remind ourselves how young and inexperienced this team is. It just goes to show how talented our young guys are and how well we've done capitalizing on our success. I'll be the first to say i've been hard on Coach Carey this season at times, but again, we are very young team and he's done a good job. I don't think any of us really expected us to be 8-2 at this point and we are just three wins away from a possible birth in the peach bowl or at the very least another double digit win season. What can ya say, these kids have worked their asses off, and we should be excited not just for this team but for the years to follow as well.
11-14-2014 01:07 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-14-2014 01:07 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  I think it's always good to remind ourselves how young and inexperienced this team is.

Our Toledo two deep had 15 seniors on it out of 53 spots (two of them are FBs). There were 11 juniors. So basically half of our current two deep is made up of underclassmen. Add TLL/Golladay in next year and we should be looking good for at least the next two years. Sustained success is great.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 01:18 PM by armour248.)
11-14-2014 01:17 PM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

(11-14-2014 01:17 PM)armour248 Wrote:  
(11-14-2014 01:07 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  I think it's always good to remind ourselves how young and inexperienced this team is.

Our Toledo two deep had 15 seniors on it out of 53 spots (two of them are FBs). There were 11 juniors. So basically half of our current two deep is made up of underclassmen. Add TLL/Golladay in next year and we should be looking good for at least the next two years. Sustained success is great.

Other than Da'Ron, there's not a lot of seniors where I say "holy cr*p who is going to step in their place?"

- Meehan is good, but we already have FOrd and Smaha with a good # of freshmen.
- Durante has played a lot of games for us, but I've been a little disappointed with him this year
- Santa/Bass- we've missed Bass this year, but survived, still have Boomer and Rock.
- Cam- you won't replace him, but we have enough talent at RB to be fine there.
- Pitt/Loos/Brown- scary to lose that much on the O-line I suppose, but others have had playing time
11-14-2014 01:25 PM
Advertisement

NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
(11-14-2014 01:25 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  

Other than Da'Ron, there's not a lot of seniors where I say "holy cr*p who is going to step in their place?"

- Durante has played a lot of games for us, but I've been a little disappointed with him this year
- Santa/Bass- we've missed Bass this year, but survived, still have Boomer and Rock.
- Pitt/Loos/Brown- scary to lose that much on the O-line I suppose, but others have had playing time

DaRon is great and Cam is great in his clock-killing role. The other guys (including Eakes, Sterling and Gordon who were not mentioned above) are good but you're always going to lose good players when you have a good program. If Hare takes a step forward we could be awesome next year.
11-14-2014 01:31 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(11-14-2014 01:25 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  

Yeah, and even with Brown having Tommy back is going to be such a huge bonus. He's tiny, yes, but he's shown the ability to play on the outside in his career. You're pretty much getting a #1 option back at WR. Golladay, Turner, Canada, and Bebe in addition gives you 5 more than capable WRs. Lets just hope Tommy doesn't get Akeem'd because the WRs become A LOT more iffy without him.

You do lose 3 starters on the line, but Myers has pretty much been a starter this year so you return 3 guys with ample playing time.

I think Santa has been rock solid this year, but Folliard has played a ton, Peyton has played plenty, and Bobby Jones has seen some meaningful action as well.

I have all the faith in the world than ACRB and Huff are going to make an excellent backfield.
11-14-2014 01:36 PM
niu50yrdline Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Akeem Daniels has done nothing on the field to help the team. Every time he comes in I'm like here's a wasted play. Weather it's an injury or putting on more muscle, Akeem has lost a step. I went back and watched some games from a few years ago and he was so dynamic. So in closing... get Huff and ACRB more touches.
11-14-2014 01:40 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I think the Akeem thing kind of took on a life of it's own here. He was never more than a role player at NIU. I had high hopes for him when it looked like he was finally going to get his shot, but it just wasn't meant to be.

What he did in the MAC Championship though...we don't win that game without him.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 01:44 PM by 7.)
11-14-2014 01:43 PM
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I remember the big leap that Harnish made from his sophomore year to his junior year. I'm hoping that same thing happens with Hare. Although, i don't even think Harnish had as good of a sophomore season as Hare is having.
11-14-2014 01:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

I believe Hare's ability to protect the ball is the primary reason the Huskies have been able to overcome inferior coaching and sit on an 8-2 record. This team does not have the capability to throw downfield, so it's imperative they are not chasing leads. Best way to ensure that is not turn the ball over.

Hare has played well. There are probably capacity issues with his physical abilities, so be happy with the game management and temper your expectations beyond that.

Seven, it diminishes your argument about your hero Coach Carey's brilliance when you point out that two of his three Big Ten victories are against coaches that can't beat anyone else either!
11-14-2014 03:43 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

So Carey has as many/more wins than a third of Big Ten coaches the last two years, having coached only three games, and somehow that's the viewpoint you take? My God.
11-14-2014 03:57 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
(11-14-2014 03:57 PM)7 Wrote:  So Carey has as many/more wins than a third of Big Ten coaches the last two years, having coached only three games, and somehow that's the viewpoint you take? My God.

Add to it that they were all on the road as well.
11-14-2014 04:10 PM
Premier Club Online
2nd String

I Root For:
(11-14-2014 03:57 PM)7 Wrote:  So Carey has as many/more wins than a third of Big Ten coaches the last two years, having coached only three games, and somehow that's the viewpoint you take? My God.

+1. Rod gets penalized for beating Northwestern and Purdue? It's not like he's making the schedule.
11-14-2014 04:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.