Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulane Fans to Fly a "Fire Rick Dickson" banner
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
Tulane Fans to Fly a "Fire Rick Dickson" banner
It will be flown during the tailgate approximately 1 hour before game time. Thoughts? He has been at TU for 15 years. 2 crappy bowls and no NCAA tourney's.
11-13-2014 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: Tulane Fans to Fly a "Fire Rick Dickson" banner
I assume that's your AD? I'll be there. Maybe I'll get to see it.
11-13-2014 02:06 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(11-13-2014 02:06 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I assume that's your AD? I'll be there. Maybe I'll get to see it.

Yes it is.....tailgating should be great and TU folks are welcoming.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 02:07 PM by wavefan12.)
11-13-2014 02:06 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(11-13-2014 02:06 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 02:06 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I assume that's your AD? I'll be there. Maybe I'll get to see it.

Great. My group is driving down Saturday morning, and meeting up at the tailgate area a couple of hours before game time. Where is the best place for us to go, and not get beaten up, lol?
11-13-2014 02:18 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(11-13-2014 02:04 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  He has been at TU for 15 years. 2 crappy bowls and no NCAA tourney's.
I have mixed feelings about him, and all in all I think the next year or two would be a good time for Tulane athletics to have a fresh start. But if we're going to lay his record out on the table, shouldn't the Katrina factor be mentioned somewhere? And the "Review" of 2002-03… are we supposed to think that Dickson should've somehow made that go away, or that Tulane athletics shouldn't have been affected by it?
11-13-2014 02:21 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(11-13-2014 02:21 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 02:04 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  He has been at TU for 15 years. 2 crappy bowls and no NCAA tourney's.
I have mixed feelings about him, and all in all I think the next year or two would be a good time for Tulane athletics to have a fresh start. But if we're going to lay his record out on the table, shouldn't the Katrina factor be mentioned somewhere? And the "Review" of 2002-03… are we supposed to think that Dickson should've somehow made that go away, or that Tulane athletics shouldn't have been affected by it?

You just did. The city has recovered very well and is in better shape. Katrina was almost a decade ago as well. It certainly hurt alot, but I do believe it's well past time for new leadership.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 02:46 PM by wavefan12.)
11-13-2014 02:33 PM
Advertisement

wavefan12 Offline
All American

(11-13-2014 02:18 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 02:06 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

Great. My group is driving down Saturday morning, and meeting up at the tailgate area a couple of hours before game time. Where is the best place for us to go, and not get beaten up, lol?

Honestly, it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe some students will give you some crap but this is far far far from LSU territory.
11-13-2014 02:35 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Yea, I'd say it's time for a new AD. Good Luck with that
11-13-2014 02:44 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(11-13-2014 02:33 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

You just did.
Seems a bit snide to me, but whatever.

I agree he'll probably be gone by June 2016 and maybe sooner than that. Dragging the banner from an airplane at homecoming = classless.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 03:20 PM by Native Georgian.)
11-13-2014 03:19 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(11-13-2014 03:19 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

You just did.

I agree he'll probably be gone by June 2016 and maybe sooner than that. Dragging the banner from an airplane at homecoming = classless.

It was, I apologize, long day.
11-13-2014 03:27 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(11-13-2014 03:19 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

You just did.

I have mixed feelings, but nothing else has worked and our combo of FBall and Bball is one of the worst in the country over the last 15 years. I look at it as more desperate. I just don't think things can get much worse with how he operates. SC built the stadium via board seats. He communicates horribly, his fundraising stinks, his teams largely stink, his coaching hires have been bad.....his saving grace is fighting to not have our sports cancelled (which is his job and also would have resulted in him losing said job), Katrina and building a 23k stadium largely funded by a few board members. If I am wrong, please elaborate on his tenure.
11-13-2014 03:31 PM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

The stadium construction, the basketball training facility, and the fieldhouse upgrades are all things that he has in his corner.

He also got the school into the AAC despite some really poor on-field performance.

Let's see 2 years of Dickson in the AAC before we decide what to do.
11-13-2014 03:34 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(11-13-2014 03:34 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  The stadium construction, the basketball training facility, and the fieldhouse upgrades are all things that he has in his corner.

He also got the school into the AAC despite some really poor on-field performance.

Yes the Bball facility was nice, another sold board seat? IDK, seems SC played a large role in the AAC membership and selling of board seats. Perhaps, I am being bias. Not to mention these assets just caught us up with peers (in reality we are actually still behind).

One thing he and his staff got right is the pre-game tailgate (I was shocked how cool the GT game was) but if the stadium size was closer to our peers, parking could become a nightmare.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 03:46 PM by wavefan12.)
11-13-2014 03:38 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

Nightmarish parking is a GOOD problem to have these days. It means that you're actually making some money on gameday.
11-13-2014 03:52 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(11-13-2014 03:31 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  SC built the stadium via board seats.
(11-13-2014 03:38 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  Yes the Bball facility was nice, another sold board seat? IDK, seems SC played a large role in the AAC membership and selling of board seats.

So what is it about the board seats? Is Dickson supposed to do something about that? Frankly, is he even supposed to care about that? If so, why? If not, why keep bringing it up?
11-13-2014 03:53 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(11-13-2014 03:52 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  Nightmarish parking is a GOOD problem to have these days. It means that you're actually making some money on gameday.

Not if u are forcing people to have to park at the Dome or Oschner. TU fandom is too fickle right now to force that inconvenience.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 03:58 PM by wavefan12.)
11-13-2014 03:54 PM
Advertisement

wavefan12 Offline
All American

(11-13-2014 03:53 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 03:38 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  Yes the Bball facility was nice, another sold board seat? IDK, seems SC played a large role in the AAC membership and selling of board seats.

So what is it about the board seats? Is Dickson supposed to do something about that? Frankly, is he even supposed to care about that? If so, why? If not, why keep bringing it up?

Because you want an unbiased board who are hired on merit, not because the seat was sold. TMK, no highly successful organization sells so many board seats to the highest bidder. The president now potentially owes the board member something and the board member might owe the president for selecting him or her. This is why board members should primarily be hired by the stockholders (alums and students). Academics and athletics have been putrid under SC/RD and this board, putrid. The Katrina excuse can only be used for so long.

But in the end I bring it up because that isn't RD doing this bang up job, it's getting donation for more than just naming rights and love for the school. Not to mention, it's arguably SC doing the heavy lifting. I wish I knew more of the facts but they don't communicate with alums.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 04:03 PM by wavefan12.)
11-13-2014 04:02 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(11-13-2014 04:02 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

Because you want an unbiased board who are hired on merit, not because the seat was sold. TMK, no highly successful organization sells so many board seats to the highest bidder. The president now potentially owes the board member something and the board member might owe the president for selecting him or her. This is why board members should primarily be hired by the stockholders (alums and students). Academics and athletics have been putrid under SC/RD and this board, putrid. The Katrina excuse can only be used for so long.

But in the end I bring it up because that isn't RD doing this bang up job, it's getting donation for more than just naming rights and love for the school. Not to mention, it's arguably SC doing the heavy lifting. I wish I knew more of the facts but they don't communicate with alums.

In a perfect world...that would be correct...but almost every Univ selects some board members (those that can appointed) that are often some of their largest contributors/donors (academically and/or athletically).

Don't think that will change at all in the near or distant future.
11-13-2014 04:20 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(11-13-2014 04:20 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 04:02 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

In a perfect world...that would be correct...but almost every Univ selects some board members (those that can appointed) that are often some of their largest contributors/donors (academically and/or athletically).

Don't think that will change at all in the near or distant future.

I get that, but it's one thing to provide a seat to someone with a long standing tradition of giving for no other reason but they want the school to do well, it's another to get the donation and give them a seat the next month. It's a conflict of interest.

The point is I have my doubts whether RD was the most intrical part of securing the large donations for any of the projects to date. But again, I think the guy should be fired so there's that as well.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 04:26 PM by wavefan12.)
11-13-2014 04:23 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(11-13-2014 03:34 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  The stadium construction, the basketball training facility, and the fieldhouse upgrades are all things that he has in his corner.

The above are more than enough reason to thank him...not fire him.
11-13-2014 05:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.