Open TigerLinks

Today's Silver Lining: The 2009-2010 Syracuse team
Bookmark and Share
Johnny Betts Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Today's Silver Lining: The 2009-2010 Syracuse team
Syracuse loses exhibition to Div 2 team

On November 4, Syracuse was stunned by Division II Le Moyne College, 82-79, in its final exhibition game before opening the regular season. The loss was Syracuse's first exhibition loss in six years.

They started the season outside of the top 25, and then they proceeded to win their first 13 games, eventually achieving the #1 ranking on March 2 with a 28-2 record.

They finished the regular season ranked #3 and earned a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament where they lost in the Sweet 16 to Butler, who eventually lost in the championship game by 2 points to Duke.

Am I saying Memphis is built to follow this same path? No. I'm simply suggesting that while last night's loss WAS embarrassing and unacceptable, it wasn't exactly uncharted territory in the NCAA and that perhaps not ALL hope is lost.

If we begin the season 0-13, well, then yes, it will have turned into a dumpster fire.
11-13-2014 12:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Today's Silver Lining: The 2009-2010 Syracuse team
(11-13-2014 12:07 PM)Johnny Betts Wrote:  Syracuse loses exhibition to Div 2 team

On November 4, Syracuse was stunned by Division II Le Moyne College, 82-79, in its final exhibition game before opening the regular season. The loss was Syracuse's first exhibition loss in six years.

They started the season outside of the top 25, and then they proceeded to win their first 13 games, eventually achieving the #1 ranking on March 2 with a 28-2 record.

They finished the regular season ranked #3 and earned a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament where they lost in the Sweet 16 to Butler, who eventually lost in the championship game by 2 points to Duke.

Am I saying Memphis is built to follow this same path? No. I'm simply suggesting that while last night's loss WAS embarrassing and unacceptable, it wasn't exactly uncharted territory in the NCAA and that perhaps not ALL hope is lost.

If we begin the season 0-13, well, then yes, it will have turned into a dumpster fire.

Losses that shouldn't happen, that is why in the pro's they play a series...Heck the NBA champions loss to a team in Europe in the pre-season.

But we seem to be trending the wrong way...Something needs to change.
11-13-2014 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
Digging up an obvious exception is just that.........
11-13-2014 12:13 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
I think everyone understands it's just an exhibition game, and no one is writing the season off. there are these anecdotes of Syracuse and UT losing exhibition games and then having great seasons. But everyone's also got to admit that it's okay to talk about the loss, why it happened and what it could mean for the season.
11-13-2014 12:14 PM
Tigerbluesky Offline
Banned

(11-13-2014 12:07 PM)Johnny Betts Wrote:  Syracuse loses exhibition to Div 2 team

Lol..this is some of the hardest trolling I've seen in awhile. You left out the obvious point in all of this- Syracuse had and still has a future HOF coach in Boeheim. We have Pastner :(
11-13-2014 12:23 PM
Advertisement

tigersroll Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Jim Boeheim
11-13-2014 12:23 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(11-13-2014 12:23 PM)Tigerbluesky Wrote:  

Lol..this is some of the hardest trolling I've seen in awhile. You left out the obvious point in all of this- Syracuse had and still has a future HOF coach in Boeheim. We have Pastner :(

It's possible that Pastner ends up in the HOF
11-13-2014 12:24 PM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(11-13-2014 12:23 PM)tigersroll Wrote:  Jim Boeheim

^This. So, so much ... This.
11-13-2014 12:24 PM
Johnny Betts Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-13-2014 12:14 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  I think everyone understands it's just an exhibition game, and no one is writing the season off. there are these anecdotes of Syracuse and UT losing exhibition games and then having great seasons. But everyone's also got to admit that it's okay to talk about the loss, why it happened and what it could mean for the season.

I never said it wasn't OK, but you know as well as I that the majority of comments today aren't within the context of reasonable discourse.

People are free - as ridiculous as the premise is - to suggest we need to go ahead and fire Pastner now and blah, blah, blah, but I know there are a few despondent souls out there who, while disappointed, are trying to avoid immersing themselves in a quagmire of despair and negativity, looking for that one small glimmer of hope.
11-13-2014 12:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerFan386 Offline
1st String

I'm tired of people bringing this up. You know why Syracuse lost that game? They played man to man defense. They never play man to man, hadn't practiced man to man, and never played man to man after that game. They are a zone defense team, Boeheim just wanted to see what it would look like if they played man. 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead
11-13-2014 12:28 PM
Johnny Betts Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-13-2014 12:23 PM)Tigerbluesky Wrote:  Lol..this is some of the hardest trolling I've seen in awhile. You left out the obvious point in all of this- Syracuse had and still has a future HOF coach in Boeheim. We have Pastner :(

Trolling? Please, enlighten us all and show me where I've made deliberately offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Oh wait, that's your MO, and your lack of comfort in your own skin suggests a paradoxical understanding of basic message board concepts.
11-13-2014 12:29 PM
Johnny Betts Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-13-2014 12:28 PM)TigerFan386 Wrote:  I'm tired of people bringing this up. You know why Syracuse lost that game? They played man to man defense. They never play man to man, hadn't practiced man to man, and never played man to man after that game. They are a zone defense team, Boeheim just wanted to see what it would look like if they played man. 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

All hail TigerFan386 and his superior knowledge and understanding of the history of NCAA basketball. If you're tired of people bringing this up then I'm sure the entire Internet will be complicit in following your set of topics that we are allowed to bring up and those which should never be mentioned again.
11-13-2014 12:31 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
I'm still waiting for the Cal lost to Louisiana Tech and Austin Peay thread
11-13-2014 12:34 PM
Advertisement

oldmangrizz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
Another silver lining is that we don't have to play CBU home-and-home this year.
11-13-2014 12:35 PM
TigerFan386 Offline
1st String

(11-13-2014 12:31 PM)Johnny Betts Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 12:28 PM)TigerFan386 Wrote:  I'm tired of people bringing this up. You know why Syracuse lost that game? They played man to man defense. They never play man to man, hadn't practiced man to man, and never played man to man after that game. They are a zone defense team, Boeheim just wanted to see what it would look like if they played man. 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

All hail TigerFan386 and his superior knowledge and understanding of the history of NCAA basketball. If you're tired of people bringing this up then I'm sure the entire Internet will be complicit in following your set of topics that we are allowed to bring up and those which should never be mentioned again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0DlyqaoAd0
11-13-2014 01:07 PM
Tigerbluesky Offline
Banned

(11-13-2014 12:29 PM)Johnny Betts Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 12:23 PM)Tigerbluesky Wrote:  Lol..this is some of the hardest trolling I've seen in awhile. You left out the obvious point in all of this- Syracuse had and still has a future HOF coach in Boeheim. We have Pastner :(

Trolling? Please, enlighten us all and show me where I've made deliberately offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Oh wait, that's your MO, and your lack of comfort in your own skin suggests a paradoxical understanding of basic message board concepts.

That's a nice copy and paste you did from a psychoanalytic site. However, Boehim is still the difference and its not even close.
11-13-2014 01:17 PM
Johnny Betts Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-13-2014 01:07 PM)TigerFan386 Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0DlyqaoAd0

You must be a true joy to be around. A stereotypical keyboard warrior. You have Johnny Tyler from Tombstone written all over you.
11-13-2014 01:35 PM
Johnny Betts Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-13-2014 01:17 PM)Tigerbluesky Wrote:  That's a nice copy and paste you did from a psychoanalytic site. However, Boehim is still the difference and its not even close.

Trolling 101: When you don't have a legitimate response to a call-out then deflect, deflect, deflect.

If you could spell "Boeheim" or use contractions correctly then I might be more inclined to take you seriously. Probably not, considering your track record, but it couldn't hurt.

In the future I will try to use "less complicated" terms such as "paradoxical" so you don't have to spend so much time asking your mama what they mean.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 01:40 PM by Johnny Betts.)
11-13-2014 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.