Piotrowicz: Don't blame Campbell
11-13-2014 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FtLauderdaleRocket Offline
Yet Another Florida Rocket

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Piotrowicz: Don't blame Campbell
I'm blocked from posting by our network here at work. Can somebody post this for me? LOL

Nicholas - Stop with the excuses. NIU is not the same NIU that beat Toledo the previous 4 season. They are NOT a good team.
Why didn't the coaching staff realize that Julian was simply not ready to play QB at this level?
Why didn't the coaching staff realize that Woodside is simply too injured to be effective. To make matters worse when they put him in at QB the put in strictly passing formations, thus putting him at risk for further injury via the pass rush.
Why didn't the coaching staff see that Dwight Macon is clearly a baller. The kid has great instincts running the ball and his play was the reason Toledo was in the game.
Had Dwight Macon started the game there is no doubt that Toledo would have won.
11-13-2014 09:26 AM
tolfbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo/Browns
Julian had a very good week of practice. Players told me he looked ready. So maybe that is why they started him. If Florida guy was at every practice this week then I defer to his expertise.
11-13-2014 11:15 AM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(11-13-2014 11:15 AM)tolfbfan Wrote:  Julian had a very good week of practice. Players told me he looked ready. So maybe that is why they started him. If Florida guy was at every practice this week then I defer to his expertise.

Hopefully he learns how to do it when the lights are on. I remember a few guys that I played with that we're similar...threw a great ball and were sharp in practice, but couldn't replicate it in game situations. Definitely a tough position to play...
11-13-2014 11:30 AM
therockets046 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Mud Hens
I disagree that there was 'no doubt' they would have won. The exchanges between Macon and the running backs made me cringe all game long. They were very shaky and they were just asking to have one end up on the turf. It also was very clear that Macon was operating under a very limited play selection and put in positions in which not to screw up. That wasn't going to fool NIU forever, and they were catching on in the 2nd half.

You're not supposed to need your 3rd string QB. Ever. I don't see how the coaches could have made what would really be an unprecedented determination that a wide receiver would put us better off than a #3 QB without seeing it on the field on game day. Let's not forget that the only defense available to practice against is our defense.

The game did leave me wanting more Macon though. Because how could it not? I'd like to see a couple more games before declaring him our shoulda-been savior though. If it turns out to be so, I have a good feeling that the NIU loss won't matter anyway.
11-13-2014 11:37 AM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(11-13-2014 11:30 AM)TampaRocket Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 11:15 AM)tolfbfan Wrote:  Julian had a very good week of practice. Players told me he looked ready. So maybe that is why they started him. If Florida guy was at every practice this week then I defer to his expertise.

Hopefully he learns how to do it when the lights are on. I remember a few guys that I played with that we're similar...threw a great ball and were sharp in practice, but couldn't replicate it in game situations. Definitely a tough position to play...

The thing that really surprised me about Julian, aside from the deer in the headlights look he had on his face in both games, was how slow he looked. I expected a real dual threat player... He is either. Maybe a couple years of seasoning will help him. But at this point , i don't see him seeing the field until both Ely and Woodside are gone and most likely not even then because we know how well Candle and team develop QB'sshttp://www.csnbbs.com/images/smilies/03-banghead.gif
11-13-2014 11:40 AM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
The Macon situation reminds me a lot of the Freddie Barnes situation at BG.
11-13-2014 12:18 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
(11-13-2014 09:26 AM)FtLauderdaleRocket Wrote:  I'm blocked from posting by our network here at work. Can somebody post this for me? LOL

Nicholas - Stop with the excuses. NIU is not the same NIU that beat Toledo the previous 4 season. They are NOT a good team.
Why didn't the coaching staff realize that Julian was simply not ready to play QB at this level?
Why didn't the coaching staff realize that Woodside is simply too injured to be effective. To make matters worse when they put him in at QB the put in strictly passing formations, thus putting him at risk for further injury via the pass rush.
Why didn't the coaching staff see that Dwight Macon is clearly a baller. The kid has great instincts running the ball and his play was the reason Toledo was in the game.
They're 8-2 with a win over Northwestern. People need to stop with that ****.
11-13-2014 12:44 PM
tolfbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo/Browns
(11-13-2014 11:40 AM)BDV27 Wrote:  

The thing that really surprised me about Julian, aside from the deer in the headlights look he had on his face in both games, was how slow he looked. I expected a real dual threat player... He is either. Maybe a couple years of seasoning will help him. But at this point , i don't see him seeing the field until both Ely and Woodside are gone and most likely not even then because we know how well Candle and team develop QB'sshttp://www.csnbbs.com/images/smilies/03-banghead.gif

He had Big School offers due to his size and potential. Rough diamond type thing. Give the poor kid some time. He may turn out to be big time.
11-13-2014 12:50 PM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
Let me just say, I don't agree with his article.
At all.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with "foolishly grandiose expectations".

This team has looked bad all season. Except against a lower league foe UNH.

Why can't I be disappointed in the coach even when we win? Then we lose and that is supposed to change?
11-13-2014 05:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2014 12:50 PM)tolfbfan Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 11:40 AM)BDV27 Wrote:  

He had Big School offers due to his size and potential. Rough diamond type thing. Give the poor kid some time. He may turn out to be big time.

Julian held offers from Wisconsin, Arizona, NC State, Boston College, and Cincinnati among others. Not bad. I wonder what all those schools saw in him.
11-13-2014 06:33 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I don't know what the other schools saw in him either, but it has happened before where highly touted HS players just don't work out at the next level. I'd rather have football players that can make plays than guys with great 40 times that can throw the ball 70 yards in the air off their back foot. He threw how many passes at the ankles of our receivers - if even that far. That is not a kid that needs to develop a throwing arm. It could be nerves - maybe. I would question how much he really wants to play at the D1 level - even if is a mid-major schedule. If I was a betting person, I would bet that he takes himself out of the equation by the end of the school year. Unless he has more heart and competitive spirit than he showed in the games, he is not going to fight for to be a starter. Hope I'm wrong. I also said Magic Johnson was never going to be much of a college player after watching him play a high school all-star game. No speed up and down the court, couldn't jump all that well, and had a funky stroke on his outside shots... I still felt that way after I found out he scored a very quiet 42 points in that game. Seemed like about 14.
11-13-2014 07:08 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-13-2014 12:44 PM)7 Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 09:26 AM)FtLauderdaleRocket Wrote:  I'm blocked from posting by our network here at work. Can somebody post this for me? LOL

They're 8-2 with a win over Northwestern. People need to stop with that ****.

NIU is not very good despite a 7-2 record and a win over Northwestern. Hell we aren't very good and we have a lot more players sitting out than NIU (starters - not just players) and we still almost win on your field with a 4th string QB and a back-up to our All-MAC center. The only difference is that NIU has confidence and a viable coach - and we have neither. We'll see more when they go up against Western. That will be for WMU's chance for the MAC West. They are counting on us losing to BG - and I would say that is likely at this point. Beat Western, and I would only say you have improved to a decent team - and a good MAC team, but nothing beyond that.
11-13-2014 07:13 PM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
i'm not going to evaluate or criticize Julian. He got his first career start in the most important game of the year. However, if Darryl and Darryl of the Blah feel that Campbell should be free of scrutiny, they're going to be stuck at that rag for a long time. If this were Columbus, the press would be all over the coaching staff. I'm sorry, but Northern is average, even if average might be good enough to win the MAC. No, Northwestern is not good. They have fallen faster this fall than the old Clarion by Southwyk. Why can't fans be upset? With O-line graduating and Western improving, I'm not seeing MAC titles in the near future.
11-13-2014 07:55 PM
MiamiRocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!
(11-13-2014 07:55 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  i'm not going to evaluate or criticize Julian. He got his first career start in the most important game of the year. However, if Darryl and Darryl of the Blah feel that Campbell should be free of scrutiny, they're going to be stuck at that rag for a long time. If this were Columbus, the press would be all over the coaching staff. I'm sorry, but Northern is average, even if average might be good enough to win the MAC. No, Northwestern is not good. They have fallen faster this fall than the old Clarion by Southwyk. Why can't fans be upset? With O-line graduating and Western improving, I'm not seeing MAC titles in the near future.

I think we'll be better next year because we get both of our starting corners back and we'll hold opponents to a lower percentage on 4th & 3 (or whatever) playing 10 - 12 yards off of the line of scrimmage. Additionally, they will occasionally turn around to look for the ball so I think we'll move up from dead last to second to last in opponent pass yards per game. Possibly even fifth to last in FBS.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 08:18 PM by MiamiRocket.)
11-13-2014 08:18 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2014 08:18 PM)MiamiRocket Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 07:55 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  i'm not going to evaluate or criticize Julian. He got his first career start in the most important game of the year. However, if Darryl and Darryl of the Blah feel that Campbell should be free of scrutiny, they're going to be stuck at that rag for a long time. If this were Columbus, the press would be all over the coaching staff. I'm sorry, but Northern is average, even if average might be good enough to win the MAC. No, Northwestern is not good. They have fallen faster this fall than the old Clarion by Southwyk. Why can't fans be upset? With O-line graduating and Western improving, I'm not seeing MAC titles in the near future.

I think we'll be better next year because we get both of our starting corners back and we'll hold opponents to a lower percentage on 4th & 3 (or whatever) playing 10 - 12 yards off of the line of scrimmage. Additionally, they will occasionally turn around to look for the ball so I think we'll move up from dead last to second to last in opponent pass yards per game. Possibly even fifth to last in FBS.

Unless, of course, they happen to have another season ending injury. Why did we hire a strength & conditioning coach from a school that doesn't even have a football program? Doesn't that just seem problematic?
11-13-2014 08:39 PM
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-13-2014 08:18 PM)MiamiRocket Wrote:  

I think that Mancz's inability to play at NIU was an important factor in that game, and while Hunt and Swanson are excellent backs I think the offense next year is going to feel the loss of Mancz and the other FOUR fifth year O-linemen as well. The DB may be better next year but I doubt if the way they are coached will be any different.

Furthermore, if Fleck and the WMU coaching staff can actually coach as well as recruit, then WMU should be much better next year than any team in the MAC was this year and CMU may also be better as well so I see the competition for the MAC west crown being a lot tougher next year than it was this year. I could see UT finishing 3rd in the MAC West next year even with some marginal improvement on D.
11-13-2014 08:46 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
I am afraid you are right. The west will be four teams deep next year and I see us as the 3rd best.
11-13-2014 09:10 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

He's obviously new to the beat...hasn't had the opportunity to see the same thing year after year. I'm glad people are upset...at least they still care.
11-13-2014 09:13 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

[/quote]

I agree!!!
11-13-2014 10:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.