(6) Arizona St.
(11) UCLA

(3) Florida St.
(14) Kansas St.

(7) Baylor
(10) Ole Miss

(2) Oregon
(15) Georgia

Although, I think an undefeated Marshall deserves to play as well.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2014 09:52 PM by army56mike.)
11-12-2014 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
RE: The Big College Playoff - 11 NOV
But that would cheapen the regular season and nobody would watch it, just like nobody watches the NFL.
11-12-2014 10:07 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
College football is not the NFL.

1. The amount of sports betting on college and the amount of fantasy teams impact is far smaller (these greatly help the NFL regular season).
2. The number of teams we're talking about is far bigger in college and the games across the country are smaller (regular season).
3. College sports are inherently regional. You want fans in the Midwest to care about games in Florida, in California, etc and vice-versa? You have to create some stakes and that disappears with a big playoff (I'd argue any playoff with automatic bids). Right now, if you want a Big Ten team in the playoff, you want Alabama, Florida State, Oregon, etc to lose. If you want a 2nd SEC team, you want the others to lose. If you are Arizona State and want in, you want many others to lose, etc. With 16 teams (and automatic births), the stakes are just a lot smaller. You can afford to focus a lot more on just conference play (win your conference and your in) or wait until the last few weeks to really watch (if your on the bubble at 16, there's not nearly the need to root for various losses until the very end of the season).
4. College football will not grow being NFL Lite. It's big because it's very different than the NFL.
5. (OK this one's nothing more than my opinion that I can't back up with): The college football regular season far more interesting than the NFL and it isn't even close. I'd take no national champion over a 16 team playoff any day if those were our 2 choices.

Edit: All that said, the playoff itself would be interesting to see none-the-less. With those brackets, I would much rather be a top team in the bottom half than the top half.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2014 10:20 PM by ohio1317.)
11-12-2014 10:17 PM
CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
You make a lot of good points, ohio, but I think people in the midwest would still care about football in Cal or Florida because it effects the seeding. Ohio State fans would care about Auburn/Bama because the winner of that game changes who OSU would play in a playoff.

The stakes might be smaller but everybody can say they proved it on the field. Can't say that when Marshall is sitting at home unbeaten, and Ohio State is sitting at home with 1 loss while 4 other 1 loss teams are in a playoff (hypothetically).
11-12-2014 10:45 PM
Advertisement

FargoBison Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU and MN
Chop it down to 12 and you might have something, top teams should get byes like the NFL playoffs.
11-14-2014 04:35 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(11-12-2014 10:45 PM)CoogNellie Wrote:  You make a lot of good points, ohio, but I think people in the midwest would still care about football in Cal or Florida because it effects the seeding. Ohio State fans would care about Auburn/Bama because the winner of that game changes who OSU would play in a playoff.

The stakes might be smaller but everybody can say they proved it on the field. Can't say that when Marshall is sitting at home unbeaten, and Ohio State is sitting at home with 1 loss while 4 other 1 loss teams are in a playoff (hypothetically).

I don't think the effect of seeding would matter though until the last few weeks of the season. Through the entirity of September/October and into November (where national games currently matter), there would be a lot less interest.

It will suck if Ohio State is sitting home, but at the end of the day, if they don't make it, that's their own fault. I've long been of the opinion that if you can't win all your games, don't complain if you're not competing for a title.
11-14-2014 05:37 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I agree. I am near NYC and nobody gives a lick about college up here. The only thing that keeps me in tune are the national title races, because I obviously like football and want to see the next big players. The only reason to tune into the regular season is because every week has one big elimination game for all intensive purposes. Otherwise, it will be like any other sport, and people will prioritize family and vacation over the Holidays as opposed to watching playoff games to boot. Making CF like the NFL is not the answer. The stats don't matter (outside of Heisman). Nobody plays college fantasy. The games matter. The schools matter. That's what counts. The individuals (besides HC or controversial student athletes) are irrelevant. You want every game to have as much meaning as possible. Less is more. Controversy and debate is a good thing. I honestly think more than four, it won't be college football any more. If they start taking eight teams and AQ bids, casual fans won't tune in until December and CF will always be in the shadows of the NFL in that juncture. There are too many other priorities for the casual fan during that time of year.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 07:12 PM by RUScarlets.)
11-14-2014 07:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.