Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
UC-East Carolina scouting report
UC-East Carolina scouting report
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com 3:38 p.m. EST November 12, 2014

[Image: 635514031426390009-USATSI-8158988.jpg]
East Carolina running back Breon Allen carries the ball against Connecticut on Oct. 24.(Photo: James Guillory-USA TODAY Sports)

When UC runs

It took a while, but UC has found a running game. True freshman Mike Boone has rushed for 325 yards over his last two games. Boone and Rod Moore each topped 100 yards in UC's last game, a 38-14 win over Tulane (Oct. 31). It was the first time UC had two 100-plus rushers in one game since 2003.

When UC passes

Gunner Kiel (ribs/back) appears healthy enough to start at QB. UC coach Tommy Tuberville says Kiel and Munchie Legaux both will play, with third QB Jarred Evans still suspended indefinitely. Kiel leads the AAC with 20 TD passes. Shaq Washington leads UC in catches (43) and yards (468), with three TD catches.

When East Carolina runs

Breon Allen averages 7.0 yards per carry and is fourth in the AAC in rushing, at 75.6 yards per game. Allen fumbled twice in ECU's last game, a 20-10 loss to Temple in a driving rain. Chris Hairston rushed for 153 yards against Temple but also fumbled once. Overall, ECU averages a healthy 5.6 yards per carry.

When East Carolina passes

QB Shane Carden ranks No. 3 nationally in passing yards per game (348.9). Justin Hardy has 65 catches for 814 yards and six TDs. Hardy needs 19 catches to set the NCAA career record. ECU has a solid No. 2 receiver in Isaiah Jones, who has 55 catches and four TDs. Tall task for UC's 106th-ranked passing defense.

Special teams

UC PK Andrew Gantz (10-for-11 on FGs) is one of 20 semifinalists for the Lou Groza Award. Gantz's ECU counterpart, Warren Harvey is 7-for-12 on FGs. ECU has the stronger punting game, but UC is better on kickoff and punt returns. With an expectedly tight game, special teams ultimately could decide things.

GRESH'S GAMEPLAN: FIVE KEYS TO VICTORY

1. Quick getaway

UC often likes to strike early with a long pass, and the Bearcats are at their best when they grab a quick lead. UC is 4-0 when leading after one quarter and 5-0 when leading at halftime. Conversely, UC is 0-3 when trailing after both one quarter and at half. A fast start will be crucial on a cold night.

2. Contain Carden and Co.

UC faces the top quarterback in the AAC, Carden, and his receivers Hardy and Jones. Carden also is rated one of the top six NFL QB prospects for the 2015 draft. Defensive ends Terrell Hartsfield and Silverberry Mouhon must pressure Carden, and the Bearcats' secondary simply cannot get beaten deep.

3. Create space for Moore and Boone

UC RBs Moore and Boone face a big challenge. ECU ranks No. 8 nationally in run defense, with 353-pound nose tackle Terry Williams clogging the middle. The upside for UC is that the offensive line (Eric Lefeld, Ryan Leahy, Deyshawn Bond, Parker Ehinger, Justin Murray) has been playing its best ball.

4. Force some turnovers

Good teams can overcome turnovers, but ball security especially looms large in close matchups such as this. UC has forced nine turnovers in its last three games (all wins), and a timely pick or forced fumble could swing the game. LB Jeff Luc (89 tackles, 3 forced fumbles) is the top UC playmaker.

5. Manage the cold

"You won't recognize me," Tuberville said, when asked about his game attire. Temperatures will be in the 20s, which could make lesser men weep. ECU visits from warmer climes but UC may not have the advantage, having practiced mostly in warm weather recently. Toughness and endurance will be paramount.

Prediction: UC 34, East Carolina 32

The Bearcats are on their best roll of the season. Three straight wins, Kiel back near 100 percent, plenty of confidence. East Carolina comes in on a downer, having just been upset by Temple. The Pirates are still dangerous and oddsmakers rate them a slight favorite, but UC holds on to win at freezing PBS.

TEAM AVERAGES

Total Offense UC 465.9 ECU 550.0

Run Offense UC 157.4 ECU 188.8

Pass Offense UC 308.5 ECU 361.2

Points scored UC 34.8 ECU 35.9

Total defense UC 475.6 ECU 339.4

Run defense UC 208.9 ECU 96.8

Pass defense UC 266.8 ECU 242.6

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/c.../18923995/

11-12-2014 07:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: UC-East Carolina scouting report
Sad to say, but this is the least energy and excitement around a season defining home game I can remember in a long time. Of course any on this board who can be @ PBS will be there I know.

But the lack of buzz is disappointing. A prerecorded sports report on WLW this morning had SEG sharing the opponent and kickoff time only; wow, that's exciting coverage. Cincinnati.com featured a Reds offseason photo and story as the lead on their sports page this morning. So business as usual in the local media.

A far cry from "Light Up Cincinnati" and the weeklong hype for a Bengals weeknight game on national TV.

All that said, I expect a great game and believe the Bearcats will take these guys down tonight to stay in the conference race and secure bowl eligibility. And I think the scouting report is right--get several scores early against the Pirates and they'll just want to huddle by their heaters and think about a warm plane ride home. That's a formula UC has used successfully against USF in past cold weather games.

11-13-2014 08:09 AM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
Fortunately, UC has improved over time - even though against lesser teams. The Bearcats have looked like a complete team the past 3 weeks and I expect them to be up for this game for the following reasons:

- Gunnar's back
- Bowl eligibility
- First place in conference

UC has momentum and the crowd will be there. Hope to see the Pirate shivering their timbers tonight!

GO BEARCATS!

11-13-2014 08:19 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-13-2014 08:09 AM)indycat Wrote:  Sad to say, but this is the least energy and excitement around a season defining home game I can remember in a long time. Of course any on this board who can be @ PBS will be there I know.

But the lack of buzz is disappointing. A prerecorded sports report on WLW this morning had SEG sharing the opponent and kickoff time only; wow, that's exciting coverage. Cincinnati.com featured a Reds offseason photo and story as the lead on their sports page this morning. So business as usual in the local media.

A far cry from "Light Up Cincinnati" and the weeklong hype for a Bengals weeknight game on national TV.

All that said, I expect a great game and believe the Bearcats will take these guys down tonight to stay in the conference race and secure bowl eligibility. And I think the scouting report is right--get several scores early against the Pirates and they'll just want to huddle by their heaters and think about a warm plane ride home. That's a formula UC has used successfully against USF in past cold weather games.

I was talking to the security guard at work the other day about the game (I work downtown). He didn't know UC was playing and was not aware UC had been playing at PBS this season. He then began talking to me about being at Nippert to watch the Bengals in their first season and cited play by play of the game.

This town just does not care. The school and the athletic department/programs deserve better.

11-13-2014 09:02 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

(11-13-2014 09:02 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 08:09 AM)indycat Wrote:  Sad to say, but this is the least energy and excitement around a season defining home game I can remember in a long time. Of course any on this board who can be @ PBS will be there I know.

I was talking to the security guard at work the other day about the game (I work downtown). He didn't know UC was playing and was not aware UC had been playing at PBS this season. He then began talking to me about being at Nippert to watch the Bengals in their first season and cited play by play of the game.

This town just does not care. The school and the athletic department/programs deserve better.

This is so true. It's a real credit to the University, our alumni and the loyal Bearcat fans that the football program has had such a successful decade in spite of disregard by the local media and general population. Not to get too philosophical here but I believe after a quarter century of futility by the pro franchises (no real championships) the locals are resigned to a defeatist attitude toward all with "Cincinnati" on their jerseys.

11-13-2014 09:15 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

I think it's a combination of things. For fans in this town, everything needs to line up exactly 'right.' The weather, the opponent, the success of the team, the night, the time, the tilt of the earth's axis, etc. I think there was a buzz to start the season but then once we got blown out in three straight weeks most casual fans tuned out. Even though we've won the last three weeks, I think many fans see this season as already over with nothing left to play for. Combine that with playing teams that the general population has no care for and the air is out of the balloon.

11-13-2014 09:45 AM
Advertisement

Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Reds, FCC
(11-13-2014 09:15 AM)indycat Wrote:  

This is so true. It's a real credit to the University, our alumni and the loyal Bearcat fans that the football program has had such a successful decade in spite of disregard by the local media and general population. Not to get too philosophical here but I believe after a quarter century of futility by the pro franchises (no real championships) the locals are resigned to a defeatist attitude toward all with "Cincinnati" on their jerseys.

Sad, but very true, statement there. I don't see everything as gloom and doom when it comes to Cincinnati sports but I know I'm in the minority. I know the media isn't paid to be cheerleaders for the city or the university but it would be nice to have some positivity every now and then.

As for buzz, this was a bad week for Mo Egger to be out of the country. He at least would have had some quality UC guests on to talk about this matchup. I haven't listened all week because the hack guest hosts are flat out unbearable to put up with.

11-13-2014 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(11-13-2014 09:46 AM)Jchuges7 Wrote:  Sad, but very true, statement there. I don't see everything as gloom and doom when it comes to Cincinnati sports but I know I'm in the minority. I know the media isn't paid to be cheerleaders for the city or the university but it would be nice to have some positivity every now and then.

As for buzz, this was a bad week for Mo Egger to be out of the country. He at least would have had some quality UC guests on to talk about this matchup. I haven't listened all week because the hack guest hosts are flat out unbearable to put up with.

I had it on Tuesday or yesterday, can't remember which on a 20 minutes drive. Chick spent the whole time talking Ohio State football and how OSU was one of the best teams in the country and how people should ignore the VT loss. Not going to listen until Mo comes back at this point.

Someone in the thread mentioned that the pro teams haven't had a championship in X years. True when you are talking winning the entire thing which is the goal. Bearcats have not had one either if that is the goal. I still take pride in the Bearcats conference titles, NCAA births and BCS births. I still take pride in the Bengals AFC North Titles as Baltimore and Pittsburgh have been consistently good franchises as well as the Bengals playoff births. The reds have been solid the last 5 years as well. It sucks not having any teams that have won the big championship since 90, but Cincinnati as a sports town really hasn't been that bad in the recent past.

11-13-2014 10:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2014 09:46 AM)Jchuges7 Wrote:  

Sad, but very true, statement there. I don't see everything as gloom and doom when it comes to Cincinnati sports but I know I'm in the minority. I know the media isn't paid to be cheerleaders for the city or the university but it would be nice to have some positivity every now and then.

They aren't cheerleaders for UC, but they are cheerleaders for the Bengals and Reds. Last night I was driving home and WLW had Lance and Rocky Boiman doing a Bengals Show for 3 hours and 1530 had Dan Hoard and Dave Lapham doing a show for 3 hours. That leaves no possible room for anything UC related.

When the Bengals and Reds have had piss poor attendance, I have heard Lance and Mo call out the listeners for not showing up. When the Bengals and Reds have lost a number of games, I have heard Lance and Mo tell tell the audience not to give up and then go on to explain how and why they will turn the season around (even when it is apparent there is no turn around). When it comes to UC they just say we are awful and leave it at that.

You are right though, Mo would have at least had some guests on and mentioned the game a few times during his show. Its not much but compared to what we got it would have been something.

11-13-2014 10:14 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(11-13-2014 10:14 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

They aren't cheerleaders for UC, but they are cheerleaders for the Bengals and Reds. Last night I was driving home and WLW had Lance and Rocky Boiman doing a Bengals Show for 3 hours and 1530 had Dan Hoard and Dave Lapham doing a show for 3 hours. That leaves no possible room for anything UC related.

When the Bengals and Reds have had piss poor attendance, I have heard Lance and Mo call out the listeners for not showing up. When the Bengals and Reds have lost a number of games, I have heard Lance and Mo tell tell the audience not to give up and then go on to explain how and why they will turn the season around (even when it is apparent there is no turn around). When it comes to UC they just say we are awful and leave it at that.

You are right though, Mo would have at least had some guests on and mentioned the game a few times during his show. Its not much but compared to what we got it would have been something.

Cincy media has always been focused on the pro teams, but it would be nice if they made an effort with UC football. Yet its not the media's responsibility.

It is, however, the responsibility of the leadership at UC. They have done very little to promote this season. A few social media posts, an occasional commercial, fireworks, and their best idea - super cheap tickets at the last minute. Wow.

If there ever was an organization that needed some marketing and sales consulting, it is UC. The Lindner College of Business should be embarrassed on how poor their parent is in the promotion/sales game.

Even the biggest self promoter on campus, Dr. Ono, has spent this week promoting his first selfie with his new I-Phone 6, co-op programs at other schools, and today while wearing a purple (ECU colors) bow tie - pancreatic cancer.

If UC truly wanted to promote their athletics, then simply BUY TIME on local radio. Many urban universities do just that each week. But not UC, we want our local media types like Lance and Bill Koch to be our voice. Shame on UC for allowing that to happen.

11-13-2014 10:44 AM
Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

(11-13-2014 10:44 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 10:14 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 09:02 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I was talking to the security guard at work the other day about the game (I work downtown). He didn't know UC was playing and was not aware UC had been playing at PBS this season. He then began talking to me about being at Nippert to watch the Bengals in their first season and cited play by play of the game.

Cincy media has always been focused on the pro teams, but it would be nice if they made an effort with UC football. Yet its not the media's responsibility.

It is, however, the responsibility of the leadership at UC. They have done very little to promote this season. A few social media posts, an occasional commercial, fireworks, and their best idea - super cheap tickets at the last minute. Wow.

If there ever was an organization that needed some marketing and sales consulting, it is UC. The Lindner College of Business should be embarrassed on how poor their parent is in the promotion/sales game.

Even the biggest self promoter on campus, Dr. Ono, has spent this week promoting his first selfie with his new I-Phone 6, co-op programs at other schools, and today while wearing a purple (ECU colors) bow tie - pancreatic cancer.

If UC truly wanted to promote their athletics, then simply BUY TIME on local radio. Many urban universities do just that each week. But not UC, we want our local media types like Lance and Bill Koch to be our voice. Shame on UC for allowing that to happen.

Rag you get it. You would think that you would get some decent media attention based on demands of the fan base, positive on field performance and the like, but sadly there's just not enough attention to be had in a NFL market (which I think is bogus but media people have to pander to the lowest common denominator, sad but true). But there is the option to force your hand and buy time. Now the university can essentially have this pay for itself by selling the sponsorship to businesses throughout the community and then paying the for the air time. It's a win all around.

I will say, compared to other cities UC has a rough time because all of the radio outlets that would talk about sports are owned by one company. No competition = what we deal with now. TV is a whole different animal and the folks at FS Ohio have appeared to be good partners over the years, but how to tap into the resources of the local stations is a whole different ballgame.

11-13-2014 10:52 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

Have watched ECU multiple times this year, their MO is get the lead early and make you play catch up, role reversal would be nice. They generally pass to set up the RB Allen. Good WRs, really good QB. They dominated Temple 30 first downs to 10 for Temple, but fumbled the game away.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 11:04 AM by SuperFlyBCat.)
11-13-2014 11:04 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(11-13-2014 10:14 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  They aren't cheerleaders for UC, but they are cheerleaders for the Bengals and Reds. Last night I was driving home and WLW had Lance and Rocky Boiman doing a Bengals Show for 3 hours and 1530 had Dan Hoard and Dave Lapham doing a show for 3 hours.

First - as for the game. If Kiel plays and it looks like he will, I think they need to ease him into the long bomb passes instead of doing it right out of the gate. If he is not really at 100% with the cold weather I think he would stand a chance of aggravating the injury again.

As for the media - I think on Tuesday night WLW has a Reds Hot Stove League show - I have no issue with that, though talking baseball in the Winter does nothing for me.

As for the Bengals, they essentially have the same show nearly every night, saying the same thing they said in the show the previous night, and the same thing they will say the next night - they just give it a different catchy name or just use Sports Talk to talk about the Bengals.

I guess they must have listeners or they would not be doing it, but I just can't listen to people talk about the Bengals every single night.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 02:35 PM by bearcatfan.)
11-13-2014 02:00 PM
eastside cat Offline
1st String

"Shivering their timbers" Very good post. 01-ncaabbs
(11-13-2014 08:19 AM)mac6115cd Wrote:  Fortunately, UC has improved over time - even though against lesser teams. The Bearcats have looked like a complete team the past 3 weeks and I expect them to be up for this game for the following reasons:

- Gunnar's back
- Bowl eligibility
- First place in conference

UC has momentum and the crowd will be there. Hope to see the Pirate shivering their timbers tonight!

GO BEARCATS!

11-13-2014 03:36 PM
Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

(11-13-2014 02:00 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 10:14 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  They aren't cheerleaders for UC, but they are cheerleaders for the Bengals and Reds. Last night I was driving home and WLW had Lance and Rocky Boiman doing a Bengals Show for 3 hours and 1530 had Dan Hoard and Dave Lapham doing a show for 3 hours.

First - as for the game. If Kiel plays and it looks like he will, I think they need to ease him into the long bomb passes instead of doing it right out of the gate. If he is not really at 100% with the cold weather I think he would stand a chance of aggravating the injury again.

As for the media - I think on Tuesday night WLW has a Reds Hot Stove League show - I have no issue with that, though talking baseball in the Winter does nothing for me.

As for the Bengals, they essentially have the same show nearly every night, saying the same thing they said in the show the previous night, and the same thing they will say the next night - they just give it a different catchy name or just use Sports Talk to talk about the Bengals.

I guess they must have listeners or they would not be doing it, but I just can't listen to people talk about the Bengals every single night.

They likely do have listeners but the bigger key is that they have SPONSORS for that programming. It's been proven that the NFL sells and companies recognize this. With most things in life just follow the money and there's your likely reasoning for why business decisions get made.

11-13-2014 04:04 PM
FenderCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Hillsdale
Heard Chick today talk about UC BB starting up. But I admit I only listen while in the car. Cincy sports fans always seem to be given (or saying) the "wait until next year" crap, and the few times we are allowed to think this is the year, well sinkhole. With the Reds' playoff woes, the Bengals' playoff and prime time woes, and the Bearcats' two BCS bowl losses, on top of the Kenyon injury or the firing of Huggins when it looked they could contend for a FF, what does one expect? And don't get me started on the radio judging topics based on calls. I don't like to listen to nearly any calls, doesn't matter what the subject is. I agree with the early post about lack of buzz...media stinks and I'm sure there is plenty of blame to spread around as to why. Loving this RB combo, hoping for some BIG stops on D! GO CATS!

11-13-2014 05:52 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

Since we are bitching about the media in this thread...

UC has one wild game and Mark Amazon comes in and has a guest in studio to talk about the Justin Back murder/trial. So much for talk about the game...

11-14-2014 12:27 AM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(11-14-2014 12:27 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Since we are bitching about the media in this thread...

UC has one wild game and Mark Amazon comes in and has a guest in studio to talk about the Justin Back murder/trial. So much for talk about the game...

He had two sentences about the game:
"What a great game! I love sports and they're a great distraction."
Then he went into his snoozefest.

11-14-2014 12:44 AM
BearcatShane09 Offline
1st String

We don't really need Mark Amazon to talk about UC at midnight. If you've ever heard that guy really talk sports you wouldn't want him to talk about UC anyways. Extremely uninformed.

11-14-2014 01:15 AM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I was quite disappointed on the drive home not to hear talk of that fabulous game.

11-14-2014 02:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.