Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Overstated Weather Excuse
Bookmark and Share
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Georgia State is a pass-happy team and it was snowy and cold two weeks ago. I get it. I love Boone weather and it provides us with a great home field advantage, especially against teams used to playing in the deep south.

HOWEVER, we just beat a very good ULM team on a clear, sunny, mild, afternoon. I'm a little annoyed that I'm still seeing so many predictions starts with "Well Jonesboro isn't snowy blah blah blah." Our team has vastly improved, and The Rock is a tough place to play when the fans are rocking.

Here's a clip from the last ULM touchdown. (great play by the way)

https://vine.co/v/OeVlIp9XlAM

Do you hear that noise?

I guess my point is this: there's more to App's home success than bad weather. We have a talented team and rowdy stadium when we want to.

Carry on. Go Apps
11-11-2014 12:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: The Overstated Weather Excuse
(11-11-2014 12:51 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  Georgia State is a pass-happy team and it was snowy and cold two weeks ago. I get it. I love Boone weather and it provides us with a great home field advantage, especially against teams used to playing in the deep south.

HOWEVER, we just beat a very good ULM team on a clear, sunny, mild, afternoon. I'm a little annoyed that I'm still seeing so many predictions starts with "Well Jonesboro isn't snowy blah blah blah." Our team has vastly improved, and The Rock is a tough place to play when the fans are rocking.

Do you hear that noise?

I guess my point is this: there's more to App's home success than bad weather. We have a talented team and rowdy stadium when we want to.

Carry on. Go Apps

There is a lot more to it than bad weather, BUT there is a big difference whenever you play a Georgia State team that plays in a dome in the snow.

You've got several SBC teams who might see an inch or two of snow in a year... That's a big advantage that is compounded by the crowd and the travel and every other advantage App has up there.
11-11-2014 12:55 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I like it! The cold weather mystique is already getting into the heads of these warm weather teams.
11-11-2014 12:55 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(11-11-2014 12:51 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  Georgia State is a pass-happy team and it was snowy and cold two weeks ago. I get it. I love Boone weather and it provides us with a great home field advantage, especially against teams used to playing in the deep south.

Do you hear that noise?

Carry on. Go Apps

I agree

We didnt lose because of weather

We lost because we are as soft as butta

Carry on.
11-11-2014 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(11-11-2014 12:55 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Do you hear that noise?

Carry on. Go Apps

There is a lot more to it than bad weather, BUT there is a big difference whenever you play a Georgia State team that plays in a dome in the snow.

You've got several SBC teams who might see an inch or two of snow in a year... That's a big advantage that is compounded by the crowd and the travel and every other advantage App has up there.

It snows once every 10 years on average in S. Louisiana. Now, a decent home/home would pit the Cajuns against App State there in Nov and they play us at Cajun Field no later than 15 Sept.
11-11-2014 01:04 PM
gostAte870 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State
The rain will be more of a factor in Jonesboro than the temperatures. Kickoff is at 2:00 PM and the temperatures will be in the 40s for the whole game. Jonesboro is in a county that borders Missouri, so our guys are no stranger to the cold. All week long, I've heard Pig fans say that they'll have an advantage over LSU because of the cold...funny how this "weather advantage" thing works...
11-11-2014 01:05 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(11-11-2014 01:05 PM)gostAte870 Wrote:  The rain will be more of a factor in Jonesboro than the temperatures. Kickoff is at 2:00 PM and the temperatures will be in the 40s for the whole game. Jonesboro is in a county that borders Missouri, so our guys are no stranger to the cold. All week long, I've heard Pig fans say that they'll have an advantage over LSU because of the cold...funny how this "weather advantage" thing works...

Its like a 30 percent chance of rain currently. I'm not overly worried about it. Doesn't hurt the team, it hurts the crowd, who will see it as perfect deer hunting weather.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 01:12 PM by chiefsfan.)
11-11-2014 01:11 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
I big it up everytime I can because its a job at some App St posters that talk aboutthe weather non stop for a couple games like people have never been cold in their life.

If people sterotype different fan bases or teams (FGSU, gnats, etc) then making weather an issue is Apps for now.

It not that App can't win in warmer weather, it's how much y'all talk about.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 01:54 PM by slycat.)
11-11-2014 01:54 PM
BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

People brought it up from every fanbase involved for the game against GSU, because it was clearly going to be a factor. A few App posters brought it up against USA, and it made no difference. It happens sometimes.

Your constant trolling is responsible for a majority of the weather talk now.
11-11-2014 02:00 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

(11-11-2014 02:00 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  People brought it up from every fanbase involved for the game against GSU, because it was clearly going to be a factor. A few App posters brought it up against USA, and it made no difference. It happens sometimes.

Your constant trolling is responsible for a majority of the weather talk now.

Are you referring to me or sly?
11-11-2014 02:04 PM
BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

Sly, my mistake.
11-11-2014 02:07 PM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

Well I guess I'll stop if its that annoying. As long as all App St fans stop using the extremly lame FGSU reference.
11-11-2014 02:18 PM
SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

As a fan I've got to admit I do not look forward to September road games in LA and ALA. I've been to games at Samford ALA, LSU, Clemson, and even ECU where the heat was really oppressive. Better have some depth on your team, especially on the lines for those contests. As a fan, can't drink to much shine or whiskey in that heat either.03-puke

I would rather play in the snow and cold.............
11-11-2014 02:25 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(11-11-2014 02:25 PM)SpeedkingATL Wrote:  As a fan I've got to admit I do not look forward to September road games in LA and ALA. I've been to games at Samford ALA, LSU, Clemson, and even ECU where the heat was really oppressive. Better have some depth on your team, especially on the lines for those contests. As a fan, can't drink to much shine or whiskey in that heat either.03-puke

I would rather play in the snow and cold.............

Not sure how I feel about it as the wind chill will be in the 30's tomorrow night. Guess if you can dress warm enough agree. Nothing is as bad as a cold steady rain.

No Belt games on tomorrow night so you could us out Wed 8PM est on ESPNU. Early pictures should look good but imagine the students will not dress for it and will leave after the 1st qtr.
11-11-2014 02:57 PM
rbarthle17 Offline
Bench Warmer

We have a more legitimate excuse than any of y'all have about weather. Try having never one west of the Mississippi. Not once.
11-11-2014 06:31 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(11-11-2014 01:11 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 01:05 PM)gostAte870 Wrote:  The rain will be more of a factor in Jonesboro than the temperatures. Kickoff is at 2:00 PM and the temperatures will be in the 40s for the whole game. Jonesboro is in a county that borders Missouri, so our guys are no stranger to the cold. All week long, I've heard Pig fans say that they'll have an advantage over LSU because of the cold...funny how this "weather advantage" thing works...

Its like a 30 percent chance of rain currently. I'm not overly worried about it. Doesn't hurt the team, it hurts the crowd, who will see it as perfect deer hunting weather.

Hated to deer hunt in the rain. Makes it hard to hear. I have done it but hated it.
11-11-2014 07:25 PM
Advertisement

ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Deer don't move much in rain so hunting during that is actually not worth it.
11-11-2014 07:35 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(11-11-2014 07:35 PM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  Deer don't move much in rain so hunting during that is actually not worth it.

True..but I have seen deer then.
11-11-2014 07:44 PM
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
I don't think the physical snow conditions had as much of an effect on GaState as much as the psychological effect. They basically said "F this, I want to go home" before the game even started.

In Statesboro we tend to look at our southern heat/humidity as an advantage which physically drains some teams that aren't conditioned for it.

JMO, but its two different approaches to having a home field advantage.
11-11-2014 07:47 PM
bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

unless you have lived in the south most of your life... you cant comprehend how much snow can be an advantage for you.

The first time I saw snow I was 19 and in Navy bootcamp. I thought I was gonna freeze to death... had never been that cold before in my life. every little bump and bruise felt like I was getting hit with a friggen hammer.

I can remember slipping and falling just walking... was in awe of how rock solid the ground felt. had bruises on my behind all winter.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 07:52 PM by bokobobcat1919.)
11-11-2014 07:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.