WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bronco Hockey vs. Denver - Saturday 11/08/14
Lunatic Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bronco Hockey
Broncos up 4-1 with one minute left in the 1st, including goals by Muir and Morrison, and the refs are letting them play tonight.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 10:00 PM by Lunatic.)
11-08-2014 09:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BroncoFever Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W Michigan
RE: Bronco Hockey vs. Denver - Saturday 11/08/14
ya should not of start this thread......were doomed now, its all down hill from here
11-08-2014 10:07 PM
Lunatic Offline
Water Engineer

5-2 -- Novak's looked great lately, 2 tonight, Tiffels w assist
11-08-2014 10:43 PM
Bronco2000 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WMU
Great win tonight! The feed from Denver is was beautiful, I wish all the games streamed that good.
11-08-2014 11:47 PM
BroncoFever Offline
Special Teams

Lunitic is official allowed to start all games threads from here on out
11-09-2014 12:01 AM
Advertisement

BroncoFever Offline
Special Teams

(11-08-2014 10:43 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  5-2 -- Novak's looked great lately, 2 tonight, Tiffels w assist

Not bad for his first 2 games of the year :)
11-09-2014 12:02 AM
BroncoFever Offline
Special Teams

Frank played well tonight

I really hope I don't have to listen to these DU guys again, clueless and very much homers.

Speaking of homers, score keeper and shot count? OMG, I actually might re-watch this game and record a more accurate shot count

Would like to come home with a sweep, but will settle with a split, as long as we take care of business next weekend @ Lawson vs the Cloud.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2014 12:12 AM by BroncoFever.)
11-09-2014 12:06 AM
BroncoFever Offline
Special Teams

(11-08-2014 11:47 PM)Bronco2000 Wrote:  Great win tonight! The feed from Denver is was beautiful, I wish all the games streamed that good.

agreed. We should send our crew out their to figure what we need to do
11-09-2014 12:14 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Back from the game. Broncos played a much stronger game tonight. Finally earned their first points in the NCHC.

Ran into a nice number of Bronco fans, including some family members of players. Fun time tonight.

02-13-banana

Trust me - you won't find a classier and nicer bunch of fans than DU fans. For real. Even their ushers and security people were saying "congrats" to DB and myself as we were leaving.
11-09-2014 12:30 AM
Advertisement

stdatwmu Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(11-09-2014 12:01 AM)BroncoFever Wrote:  Lunitic is official allowed to start all games threads from here on out

I second this motion.

Glad to see a tickmark in the W column against a ranked team, on the road no less.

Seems like we're slowly starting to click this season.
11-09-2014 12:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lunatic Offline
Water Engineer

Wow we're lucky to have Andy Murray. We have enough talent to do really well this year. Playing at high altitude vs. a #10 Denver team, we were able to dictate much of the game to them, and could've taken both games. Gladly, the refs let the boys play, and despite the usual zebra flubs (Dries "crosscheck" comes to mind), they were pretty fair overall. There's a lot to learn from these two games if you look at the tape: I think the team took more risks (long stretch passes for example), we got rewarded with goals, and we got burned a bit and saw more volatility.

We're lucky to have two starting-caliber goalies on the roster. I had to fast-forward through a lot of last night's game prior to this one, but Hafner really is a nutcase with his style, and it's awesome to watch when he skates out! His stickhandling in traffic is ******* world-class, and Murray probably lays awake at night worrying about Hafner's shenanigans. Of the three or four goals I watched that he allowed, he was screened on two or three, but the last one he let in was about as soft of a goal as we'll see from him, so he sits. As he should when we have two great goalies.

Morrison is sick, just sick. Watch and see what it looks like to have an NHL player playing in the NCHC. It looks like Morrison. Several offensive players also stood out in individual situations (Muir, Kovacs, Novak, others), but admittedly, a lot of times it's the little-noticed things that make a great forward great: How well is the forward playing when he doesn't have the puck? I can't answer this question without watching the game in slow motion, but Fever might be able to.

Coach Murray will watch the game in slow- or regular-mo tomorrow. He'll see what worked and what didn't. Life is good. Glad to take one on the road vs a top-10 team, and damn it feels good to be a Bronco!
11-09-2014 12:39 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

(11-09-2014 12:14 AM)BroncoFever Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 11:47 PM)Bronco2000 Wrote:  Great win tonight! The feed from Denver is was beautiful, I wish all the games streamed that good.

No, we should hire their crew. WMU sure is embarrassing in their ineptitude at media, especially for a public University that has a communications program. 03-banghead

For those that are not aware, many of DU's big benefactors are the titans and innovators that started the cable TV revolution years ago. Lots of expertise and deep pockets, too.
11-09-2014 12:39 AM
BroncoFever Offline
Special Teams

(11-09-2014 12:39 AM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 12:14 AM)BroncoFever Wrote:  

No, we should hire their crew. WMU sure is embarrassing in their ineptitude at media, especially for a public University that has a communications program. 03-banghead

For those that are not aware, many of DU's big benefactors are the titans and innovators that started the cable TV revolution years ago. Lots of expertise and deep pockets, too.

Isn't there some histrory with kalamazoo and a national cable company? Now I remember, John Fetzer. I know WMU has that big endowment 400 mil plus for the Fetzer Institute, but with Fetzer's history/background, why does WMU not have a strong communication program???
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2014 12:11 PM by BroncoFever.)
11-09-2014 11:12 AM
Advertisement

BroncoFever Offline
Special Teams

(11-09-2014 12:39 AM)Lunatic Wrote:  Wow we're lucky to have Andy Murray. We have enough talent to do really well this year. Playing at high altitude vs. a #10 Denver team, we were able to dictate much of the game to them, and could've taken both games. Gladly, the refs let the boys play, and despite the usual zebra flubs (Dries "crosscheck" comes to mind), they were pretty fair overall. There's a lot to learn from these two games if you look at the tape: I think the team took more risks (long stretch passes for example), we got rewarded with goals, and we got burned a bit and saw more volatility.

We're lucky to have two starting-caliber goalies on the roster. I had to fast-forward through a lot of last night's game prior to this one, but Hafner really is a nutcase with his style, and it's awesome to watch when he skates out! His stickhandling in traffic is ******* world-class, and Murray probably lays awake at night worrying about Hafner's shenanigans. Of the three or four goals I watched that he allowed, he was screened on two or three, but the last one he let in was about as soft of a goal as we'll see from him, so he sits. As he should when we have two great goalies.

Morrison is sick, just sick. Watch and see what it looks like to have an NHL player playing in the NCHC. It looks like Morrison. Several offensive players also stood out in individual situations (Muir, Kovacs, Novak, others), but admittedly, a lot of times it's the little-noticed things that make a great forward great: How well is the forward playing when he doesn't have the puck? I can't answer this question without watching the game in slow motion, but Fever might be able to.

Coach Murray will watch the game in slow- or regular-mo tomorrow. He'll see what worked and what didn't. Life is good. Glad to take one on the road vs a top-10 team, and damn it feels good to be a Bronco!

I think we are very talented and not even clicking on all 8 cylinders yet. We still have some bugs that need to be worked out and I'm telling you we will see some more line combinations in the next couple of weeks. I know every one misses Bailisy and Berchbeck, but this group of forwards is very deep and collectively we are more talented up front than last year.

I was pleased with the overall officiating. Didn't see what happened with the Dienes call, but it was great to see the refs figure out the DU player took Dienes stick to the bench and later, they tried to pretend that they didn't have it. Who was holding who???

Lunitic, your on to something here and picked up on what I thought were some of keys on the weekend:

1) Novak in the line up now gives this team another dimension this team was missing earlier this year and Murray has even more options now. He's our Birchbeck

2) The stretch pass was a great strategy, they started doing a little of this in the Alaska series and they are having some success, though it comes with it's share of icing calls

3) Also WMU forecheck and neutral zone trap. How many time did you see a DU player make that first pass from their DZ only to watch them cough it up at the blue line, resulting in quick transition attacks, often odd man advantages resulting in scoring chances and 10 goals this weekend!!!!!! This is the "structure" that Murray teaches/preaches. Let the other teams try to dangle and make cute plays as more times then not, will result in a turn over. This is why we "match up" so well with teams like Miami and SCSU. UMD and ND play a little more structured game. This was the difference in the series this weekend.

4) I don't think Hafner had a good weekend, and I would agree that 2-3 of those goals you can't fault him for. But Frank played a very solid game, consistently making the first save and limiting DU's rebound/second chance opportunities.

5) Out playing a top ranked team on the road in "high altitude" is very impressive. Broncos are even a better team at sea level. If anyone doubts the effects of high altitude on athletes, just drive you car from Michigan to Colorado and you will see the difference in your car's performance. It has the same effect on athletes. There was a close up of our bench early on in the first period of the first game were you could see several of the Broncos gasping for air. They were not tired or out of shape, as the Broncos are always a well conditioned team.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2014 11:59 AM by BroncoFever.)
11-09-2014 11:47 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

DU Pioneers' rally falls short in loss to Western Michigan

Quote:Denver (5-3, 2-2 NCHC) outshot the visitors 38-26 but could not overcome another poor start. Western Michigan (3-5, 1-3 NCHC), which led 4-1 before the first period ended, is much better than its record might indicate.

I'm beginning to believe this, as well. Played their structure much better last night. Remember how Andy always says he wants us to be miserable to play against? Part of that is making the opponent play the first 30 seconds of a shift in their own zone. We're not there quite yet. We'll know about this team's buy-in to Andy's system when the execution of that plan is seen more consistently. It was markedly better last night than Friday. Was great to see the Big Slubowski back to form again, too.

At the game it was difficult to hear what the issue was regarding the stick incident. The Bronco bench was quite animated over it.

Quote:But after sending WMU defenseman Chris Dienes to the penalty box for holding — after hearing Dienes' animated complaint that a DU player stole his stick — referee Todd Anderson saw Dienes' stick emerge from the Pioneers' bench and whistled Zac Larraza for an unsportsmanlike conduct minor.

That wiped out the DU power play, and 25 seconds later Doremus skated off for interference and Western Michigan had a 4-on-3 advantage of its own. The sequence seemed to zap Denver's momentum and the Broncos outshot DU 12-7 in the third period while protecting its lead.

"With the tradition and history of Denver hockey, I'm embarrassed that that happened on our bench," Montogmery said of the stick-stealing incident. "It's a reflection of leadership and it starts with me."

I believe that it was Novaks' goal that was the pretty one. We were laughing that we rarely score those pretty ones. Was a thing of beauty that you could see coming and it happened right in front of us.

What is illuminating is that against a team that was giving up an average of something like 1.8 goals per game, we scored 10 goals in two games. That ought to make Bronco fans sit up and realize that this team has some serious potential. Over the years, I've been to 6 WMU-DU games here in Denver. This is the first time I came away happy because we won. 04-rock
11-09-2014 01:31 PM
BroncoDetroit Offline
Bench Warmer

Don't know which goal you are talking about. Novak's goal was excellent. On Friday...Kovacs' goal was truly awesome! As our blog site said....he suckered the defense man right out of his pants! Undressed him completely!
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2014 02:36 PM by BroncoDetroit.)
11-09-2014 02:34 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

(11-09-2014 11:47 AM)BroncoFever Wrote:  5) Out playing a top ranked team on the road in "high altitude" is very impressive. Broncos are even a better team at sea level. If anyone doubts the effects of high altitude on athletes, just drive you car from Michigan to Colorado and you will see the difference in your car's performance. It has the same effect on athletes. There was a close up of our bench early on in the first period of the first game were you could see several of the Broncos gasping for air. They were not tired or out of shape, as the Broncos are always a well conditioned team.

I saw it clearly, especially on Friday. When you see guys reaching with their stick without moving their feet, it's a clue that they are gassed, not getting enough oxygen.
11-09-2014 02:37 PM
Advertisement

BroncoFever Offline
Special Teams

(11-09-2014 02:34 PM)BroncoDetroit Wrote:  On Friday...Kovacs' goal was truly awesome! As our blog site said....he suckered the defense man right out of his pants! Undressed him completely!

And Van Vories was a healthy scratch on Sat., wonder why 02-13-banana

Pretty sure that goal will make the NCHC high light reel as one of the goals of the week.
11-09-2014 09:43 PM
Ubish Offline
All American

Sick goal. . Great to see our team dominate from the start again on Saturday and actually close it down. This team has a very high ceiling if they keep playing like that
11-09-2014 09:52 PM
BroncoFever Offline
Special Teams

"Sophomore goalie Evan Cowley was among nine DU players to battle stomach illnesses during the week, and the Evergreen product lost 10 pounds"

I really got tired of listen to the announcer talk about this alll weekend long. It's was interesting that everytime he inverviewed a player in between periods and brought this up, the players weren't using this excuse. And everyone one of those guys were sick last weekend.

And Cowley losing 10#'s is BS. Maybe he lost a pound or two, but you don't lose 10# from the flue. Sure, when you are sick with the flue you can become dehyradted and if you are not replenising your water weight, it may appear you lost 10#. And if he lost any body weight, it probably is body fat.

"Definitely, (Cowley) is not at 100 percent and not at his normal strength," Montgomery said.

Again, I call BS!!! If he was not a 100 percent, why the F--- would Montgomery start him? If he was still dehydrated and 10# lighter as a result, why the H---would Montgomery start him? Either you believe Montgomery and then can say he made a horrible decision to play Cowley or you don't believe him and call BS!

And just which of the four Bronco goals would a "healthy" Cowley had saved? The first one by Muir, when the DU defenders failed to get possion of the puck in thier offensive zone off a face off creating a break away attempt for Muir, who shelfed a back hand wrister in close of the cross bar in the top left corner and into the net? He would not of stop that shot even if he was healthey. Was if the second goal by Dries? The puck was bouncing around in between players like a pin ball machine in front of the net, when Dries gets a shot attempt as Cowley was screened, shooting low on the ice to the far post. A healthy Cowley doesn't make that save either. Or how about the 3rd goal by Morrison from the blue line who got a wrsiter off while changing directions and got through traiffic in front of the net, not 1 player, not 2 players, not 3 players but 4 players screened Cowley off. A healthy Cowley doesn't make that save either. Or was it the 4th goal by Novak who walked in on the short side slipping the puck through Cowleys 5 hole. Ok, maybe the 4th goal is a save he would normally make.

This is was all BS and I hope I don't have to listen to those DU announcers again for the rest of the year, or I may puke
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2014 09:36 AM by BroncoFever.)
11-10-2014 09:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.