Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does the MAC champ have a small shot at Peach Bowl?
Bookmark and Share
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Does the MAC champ have a small shot at Peach Bowl?
It may seem ridiculous at face value, but is there a small chance?
11-07-2014 07:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
RE: Does the MAC champ have a small shot at Peach Bowl?
Quote:It may seem ridiculous at face value, but is there a small chance?

I talked about this early -- but YES. Well, depends WHO. Pretty much, they'll need 10+ wins, to have a considerable shot. Remember, it's a battle of G5 Conference Champs -- not the highest ranked in all of G5. :)

NEEDS:
1. San Diego State (4-4) to win the MW West, as they're tied for 1st -- then take out Boise or CSU. San Diego State being 7-6 MW Champs.
2. Marshall to lose in their CUSAC game to LA-Tech, and LA-Tech to lose 1+ more game(s). LA-Tech being 9-4 CUSA Champs (they lost to a D1AA; Stomped by two power P5 teams)
3. AAC to beat up on each other, with a multiple way tie for 1st -- and Houston being 8-4 AAC Champs (via a bad loss to a low team hurting ranking but beating competitors for title)
4. Georgia Southern winning out or not -- CANNOT GO. Still in interim period in D1A. LouisLaf or Ark State officially wins it being 8-4 Sun Belt Champs

Who, who from the MAC can be better than LA-Tech (9-4) or Houston (8-4)?

MAC TEAM WOULD NEED TO WIN OUT:
1. Toledo? 10-3 Toledo has good SoS -- but crushed by Missouri & Cinci, while also losing to Iowa State. GOOD CHANCE!
2. NIU? 11-2 NIU would go. Poor SoS, but beating Toledo and a now good-mid-major @WMU + former MAC Champs BGSU -- good enough to be better than others. YES.
3. WMU? 10-3 WMU has a good SoS -- but solidly beat by VaTech, but Ohio State also lost to them early on, too. Loss to non-bowl Purdue hurts. If they win big out, YES. Otherwise, POSSIBLY.

4. BGSU? 10-3 BGSU has a fair SoS -- but got POUNDED by W. Kentucky. Sure, it was away, but was in Bowling Green, KY and W.Ky is not going bowling. Plus they got raped by Wisconsin embarassingly. HOWEVER, they beat Indiana, Toledo, and 10-3 NIU In the MACC game. Only other loss was respectable one to now-good-mid-maj WMU. YES.

So: Other 3 conferences to all drop the ball, and the MAC Champ to go undefeated from RIGHT NOW 'till the end.
11-07-2014 08:05 PM
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
No
11-07-2014 09:59 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-07-2014 08:05 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:It may seem ridiculous at face value, but is there a small chance?

I talked about this early -- but YES. Well, depends WHO. Pretty much, they'll need 10+ wins, to have a considerable shot. Remember, it's a battle of G5 Conference Champs -- not the highest ranked in all of G5. :)

NEEDS:
1. San Diego State (4-4) to win the MW West, as they're tied for 1st -- then take out Boise or CSU. San Diego State being 7-6 MW Champs.
2. Marshall to lose in their CUSAC game to LA-Tech, and LA-Tech to lose 1+ more game(s). LA-Tech being 9-4 CUSA Champs (they lost to a D1AA; Stomped by two power P5 teams)
3. AAC to beat up on each other, with a multiple way tie for 1st -- and Houston being 8-4 AAC Champs (via a bad loss to a low team hurting ranking but beating competitors for title)
4. Georgia Southern winning out or not -- CANNOT GO. Still in interim period in D1A. LouisLaf or Ark State officially wins it being 8-4 Sun Belt Champs

Who, who from the MAC can be better than LA-Tech (9-4) or Houston (8-4)?

MAC TEAM WOULD NEED TO WIN OUT:
1. Toledo? 10-3 Toledo has good SoS -- but crushed by Missouri & Cinci, while also losing to Iowa State. GOOD CHANCE!
2. NIU? 11-2 NIU would go. Poor SoS, but beating Toledo and a now good-mid-major @WMU + former MAC Champs BGSU -- good enough to be better than others. YES.
3. WMU? 10-3 WMU has a good SoS -- but solidly beat by VaTech, but Ohio State also lost to them early on, too. Loss to non-bowl Purdue hurts. If they win big out, YES. Otherwise, POSSIBLY.

4. BGSU? 10-3 BGSU has a fair SoS -- but got POUNDED by W. Kentucky. Sure, it was away, but was in Bowling Green, KY and W.Ky is not going bowling. Plus they got raped by Wisconsin embarassingly. HOWEVER, they beat Indiana, Toledo, and 10-3 NIU In the MACC game. Only other loss was respectable one to now-good-mid-maj WMU. YES.

So: Other 3 conferences to all drop the ball, and the MAC Champ to go undefeated from RIGHT NOW 'till the end.

Good analysis, I think you make a great point about the battle between G5 conference champions. If you think about it large scale it seems insurmountable when you have Boise, CSU, Marshalll, ECU, Cincinatti in the landscape, but by no means have they assured themselves of championships. I cant believe I forgot that CUSA had divisions and that there is a conf championship game! That gives me a faint glimmer of hope. If Marshall loses a game, I just cant see any team coming out of CUSA, it is just too weak of a conference. WMU's emergence could really benefit the MAC as a whole down the stretch, if not directly a benefit to WMU. Right now I think the biggest points you mentioned are 1) Marshall losing 1 game 2) the MW champ NOT being Boise or Colo St and 3) Cincinatti beating ECU. If all those 3 happen, its one big flustercuck and up for grabs. What kind of story would that be for WMU to be the worst team in FBS last year and a Peach Bowl participant a year after. The PJ statue would be constructed.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 11:53 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
11-07-2014 11:52 PM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
WMU has not emerged... There only ooc fbs win is idaho and there other wins are vs ohio, bsu, miami oh, and bgsu.

WMU has 0 chance of making the access bowl even if they win out in comparison to the other 4 g5 conferences. Marshall even with 1 loss looks better than WMU since they crushed 3 MAC schools in OOC.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 12:08 AM by NIUSox10.)
11-08-2014 12:07 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(11-08-2014 12:07 AM)NIUSox10 Wrote:  WMU has not emerged... There only ooc fbs win is idaho and there other wins are vs ohio, bsu, miami oh, and bgsu.

WMU has 0 chance of making the access bowl even if they win out in comparison to the other 4 g5 conferences. Marshall even with 1 loss looks better than WMU since they crushed 3 MAC schools in OOC.

Ehh, WMU could have BG beat twice on their resume, and only conference loss to Toledo by 1 point in OT on a missed PAT. They would certainly have the "hot streak" thing going for them. WMU crushed Miami, OU, and BG. Something NIU hasn't really done to anyone in MAC play yet. I'm playing devils advocate but their loss to VT isn't that bad. Franklin ran all over them, and has a case for freshman of the year in NCAA.
11-08-2014 12:25 AM
Advertisement

spanky Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
(11-08-2014 12:07 AM)NIUSox10 Wrote:  WMU has not emerged... There only ooc fbs win is idaho and there other wins are vs ohio, bsu, miami oh, and bgsu.

Agree that WMU has ZERO chance at the Peach. But they really have "emerged" when you think about what they've been the last few years. They aren't a good team nationally yet, but they are clearly the next MAC team to make national noise in the near future, IMO.
11-08-2014 12:27 AM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

(11-08-2014 12:27 AM)spanky Wrote:  

Agree that WMU has ZERO chance at the Peach. But they really have "emerged" when you think about what they've been the last few years. They aren't a good team nationally yet, but they are clearly the next MAC team to make national noise in the near future, IMO.

I agree WMU is the most improved team in the MAC, so emerging up within MAC teams I would agree. Though emerging as a contender for the access bowl is not in the same stratosphere given their own OOC resume and the poor showing by the MAC in general. We went 4-10 vs our peer G5 schools and some of our teams got butchered by some P5 schools to the degree it looked like it was high school vs nfl.

Those points do not lend well to conference equity when the committee is assessing the access bowl g5 rep.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 12:47 AM by NIUSox10.)
11-08-2014 12:45 AM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

No
11-08-2014 01:04 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:WMU has not emerged... There only ooc fbs win is idaho and there other wins are vs ohio, bsu, miami oh, and bgsu.

Wait -- what?! Not emerged? Yeah, NIU, just relax -- WMU is no contender - LOL. OKAY, the OOC -- So? Yeah, we controlled that game against Idaho -- and to be fair -- many teams would to one extent or another. But WMU's MOV is good, and, they beat the MAC champs in their home field well, crushed Ohio, Miami OH moreso than Marshall (and NIU) did, lost to current Mac West leaders Toledo by 1, in a storm.... their "only other" win was vs BGSU? Does anyone remember last year when BG beat NIU in the MACC game (and my dad [Illini guy] loved it to feel better)? SUCK IT and all those jealous types! :)

To say that WMU has "not emerged" is Laughable. I bet against WMU against teams and I'm still shocked that we are winning. Not winning "'cause" -- but WOW. Winning with authority. Our RB broke Marshall Faulk's record of Freshman RB TD's in a season. We ain't done yet! Plus, about to beat his Forsh record of a RB point scoring (all Franky needs is 2 TDs, and he beats his scoring amt; Faulk had 2pt conversion + 2 TDs receiving). Holy sh!t.

Quote:Though emerging as a contender for the access bowl is not in the same stratosphere given their own OOC resume and the poor showing by the MAC in general.

Poor showing in the MAC? *LOL*. Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Coming off a 1-11 year, opening game, YES, you're right -- the Purdue loss HURTS. But the VaTech loss doesn't (OSU lost in ballpark range too). We all MAC fans saw WMU gaining steam. Hey, if they don't anymore -- OK. But again, everything's "assuming things continue in X team's favor".

NIU, though -- has the BEST chance due to their name, 4 straight double-digit wins, and they'd be 11-2. They'd be the most solid pick. But that requires Hare to grow some (hair) -- which he Needs to do -- to take out Toledo to make things going.

10-3 WMU, BGSU, or Toledo will vie for it. Again, depends on how the OTHER conferences play out.

11-2 NIU? They're the "midwest Boise" -- if NIU does it -- given my (hopeful; don't bank on it; don't pray for it, God will double-down on ya) -- they'll be right in there. And wouldn't that be sweet?

4 MAC teams CAN, if sh!t falls apart elsewhere. Remember when NIU skyrocketed up and went to the Orange Bowl? Last minute. Season ain't over. For anyone. We still have games to go. Beat Toledo like a red-headed step-child, crowd the seats -- and make that fill-in QB embarrass his mom on national TV. She deserves it. :)
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 03:46 AM by toddjnsn.)
11-08-2014 03:40 AM
yesman815 Offline
All American

(11-08-2014 03:40 AM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:WMU has not emerged... There only ooc fbs win is idaho and there other wins are vs ohio, bsu, miami oh, and bgsu.

Wait -- what?! Not emerged? Yeah, NIU, just relax -- WMU is no contender - LOL. OKAY, the OOC -- So? Yeah, we controlled that game against Idaho -- and to be fair -- many teams would to one extent or another. But WMU's MOV is good, and, they beat the MAC champs in their home field well, crushed Ohio, Miami OH moreso than Marshall (and NIU) did, lost to current Mac West leaders Toledo by 1, in a storm.... their "only other" win was vs BGSU? Does anyone remember last year when BG beat NIU in the MACC game (and my dad [Illini guy] loved it to feel better)? SUCK IT and all those jealous types! :)

To say that WMU has "not emerged" is Laughable. I bet against WMU against teams and I'm still shocked that we are winning. Not winning "'cause" -- but WOW. Winning with authority. Our RB broke Marshall Faulk's record of Freshman RB TD's in a season. We ain't done yet! Plus, about to beat his Forsh record of a RB point scoring (all Franky needs is 2 TDs, and he beats his scoring amt; Faulk had 2pt conversion + 2 TDs receiving). Holy sh!t.

Quote:Though emerging as a contender for the access bowl is not in the same stratosphere given their own OOC resume and the poor showing by the MAC in general.

Poor showing in the MAC? *LOL*. Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Coming off a 1-11 year, opening game, YES, you're right -- the Purdue loss HURTS. But the VaTech loss doesn't (OSU lost in ballpark range too). We all MAC fans saw WMU gaining steam. Hey, if they don't anymore -- OK. But again, everything's "assuming things continue in X team's favor".

NIU, though -- has the BEST chance due to their name, 4 straight double-digit wins, and they'd be 11-2. They'd be the most solid pick. But that requires Hare to grow some (hair) -- which he Needs to do -- to take out Toledo to make things going.

10-3 WMU, BGSU, or Toledo will vie for it. Again, depends on how the OTHER conferences play out.

11-2 NIU? They're the "midwest Boise" -- if NIU does it -- given my (hopeful; don't bank on it; don't pray for it, God will double-down on ya) -- they'll be right in there. And wouldn't that be sweet?

4 MAC teams CAN, if sh!t falls apart elsewhere. Remember when NIU skyrocketed up and went to the Orange Bowl? Last minute. Season ain't over. For anyone. We still have games to go. Beat Toledo like a red-headed step-child, crowd the seats -- and make that fill-in QB embarrass his mom on national TV. She deserves it. :)

NO MAC TEAM WILL GO TO THE PEACH BOWL.

GUARANTEED. The MAC is probably the worst conference in Division 1. We have about 2-3 good teams in the conference at best.

Also WMU has emerged as a MAC Contender and they will be a scary team next year and the year after.

Not going to lie though whoever is saying there schedule is weak and they haven't beat anyone.

Who have we beat? Northwestern? They are 3-5 in a down Big 10. That isn't a good win. Yes a good win for Chicago and Illinois but not a good win for paper.

We played Presbyterian (who is that)

Got crushed by Arkansas who is bottom feeder in a real conference.

I am all for NIU but when someone bashes a team that is actually having a good season i find it funny. Give them props where they are needed
11-08-2014 08:10 AM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-08-2014 08:10 AM)yesman815 Wrote:  

NO MAC TEAM WILL GO TO THE PEACH BOWL.

GUARANTEED. The MAC is probably the worst conference in Division 1. We have about 2-3 good teams in the conference at best.

Also WMU has emerged as a MAC Contender and they will be a scary team next year and the year after.

Not going to lie though whoever is saying there schedule is weak and they haven't beat anyone.

Who have we beat? Northwestern? They are 3-5 in a down Big 10. That isn't a good win. Yes a good win for Chicago and Illinois but not a good win for paper.

We played Presbyterian (who is that)

Got crushed by Arkansas who is bottom feeder in a real conference.

I am all for NIU but when someone bashes a team that is actually having a good season i find it funny. Give them props where they are needed

Look at Marshall though, even though they haven't lost, they have the most embarrassing schedule Ive ever seen for an FBS team. And they are considered the Peach Bowl frontrunner right now
11-08-2014 09:57 AM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

All your points are targeted at comments you took out of context. Let me clarify for you.

(Yesterday 11:45 PM) NIUSox10 Wrote:

"I agree WMU is the most improved team in the MAC, so emerging up within MAC teams I would agree. Though emerging as a contender for the access bowl is not in the same stratosphere given their own OOC resume and the poor showing by the MAC in general. We went 4-10 vs our peer G5 schools and some of our teams got butchered by some P5 schools to the degree it looked like it was high school vs nfl."

-WMU is the most improved team in the MAC, doesnt mean they emerged in the PEACH bowl race.
-Poor showing BY THE MAC, not WMU having a poor showing in MAC play
-NIU Skyrocketed up in 2012 because 4 MAC teams were at one point ranked that year and the MAC had a very good OOC record. This is not the same situation.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 11:55 AM by NIUSox10.)
11-08-2014 11:41 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-08-2014 08:10 AM)yesman815 Wrote:  We played Presbyterian (who is that)

Actually pretty good game on SEC network right now 2nd qtr Ole Miss 14 Presby 0. Presby very competitive with the #11 Rebels
11-08-2014 12:55 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

NIUSox,

You don't have to be ranked -- at all -- to make the Peach Bowl / Access Bowl.

It's just a measurement to see who of the 5 G5 Conf Champs -- is the best.

If Marshall loses in the CUSAC game and LA-Tech goes 9-4, who lost to a D1AA team -- how would they compare to a 11-2 NIU or 10-3 WMU/BGSU?

Also -- no, the MAC is not the worst conference. Conferences broken up into divisions has the MAC West rated just fine in the mid-majors.

It's not the same thing as yesteryear when you had to be in the Top 16 + ranked higher than a P5 conference champ! It's easier now, technically. You just have to be the best CONFERENCE CHAMP.

If teams fall apart in the conf champ game -- and a far-behind 2nd place or 3rd place team wins the conference -- they represent the possibility -- not the "highest ranked" in their conference.
11-08-2014 01:02 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-08-2014 01:02 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  NIUSox,

If Marshall loses in the CUSAC game and LA-Tech goes 9-4, who lost to a D1AA team -- how would they compare to a 11-2 NIU or 10-3 WMU/BGSU?

Also -- no, the MAC is not the worst conference. Conferences broken up into divisions has the MAC West rated just fine in the mid-majors.

It's not the same thing as yesteryear when you had to be in the Top 16 + ranked higher than a P5 conference champ! It's easier now, technically. You just have to be the best CONFERENCE CHAMP.

If teams fall apart in the conf champ game -- and a far-behind 2nd place or 3rd place team wins the conference -- they represent the possibility -- not the "highest ranked" in their conference.

WMU, NIU, Toledo, pretty darn good division.

Its becoming clear mid majors are not going to be ranked much at all with this committee.
11-08-2014 01:10 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:Its becoming clear mid majors are not going to be ranked much at all with this committee.

Yeah... but getting ranked has nothing to do with it. Before, you needed to be an Elite Exception to get into a BCS Bowl.

Now, it's NOT like that. If the top-tier teams of each G5 fall apart and don't win their conference -- BOOM. Opening for a MAC team.

Now, that's a STRETCH. We'd need crazy-wacky-luck right now. But EACH YEAR there's ONLY going to be a 5-team comparison to see who goes to the BCS Bowl. *5* teams. That's IT. :)

So if the MAC has a 10-3 or 11-2 team being the MAC Champion this year -- and:

MW has a 8-5 San Diego State
CUSA has a 9-4 LA-Tech
Sun Belt has a 8-4 LouisLaf
AAC has a 8-4 Houston
MAC has a 11-2 NIU

Who would go? Nobody would be ranked, but that's Moot. 11-1 Colorado State wouldn't be considered (not winning MW). 12-1 Marshall would not be considered (not winning CUSA). 9-3 ECU wouldn't be considered (not winning AAC). 10-2 Georgia Southern wouldn't be considered (1st year into FBS; by rule can't).
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 01:16 PM by toddjnsn.)
11-08-2014 01:16 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-08-2014 01:16 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:Its becoming clear mid majors are not going to be ranked much at all with this committee.

Yeah... but getting ranked has nothing to do with it. Before, you needed to be an Elite Exception to get into a BCS Bowl.

Now, it's NOT like that. If the top-tier teams of each G5 fall apart and don't win their conference -- BOOM. Opening for a MAC team.

Now, that's a STRETCH. We'd need crazy-wacky-luck right now. But EACH YEAR there's ONLY going to be a 5-team comparison to see who goes to the BCS Bowl. *5* teams. That's IT. :)

So if the MAC has a 10-3 or 11-2 team being the MAC Champion this year -- and:

MW has a 8-5 San Diego State
CUSA has a 9-4 LA-Tech
Sun Belt has a 8-4 LouisLaf
AAC has a 8-4 Houston
MAC has a 11-2 NIU

Who would go? Nobody would be ranked, but that's Moot. 11-1 Colorado State wouldn't be considered (not winning MW). 12-1 Marshall would not be considered (not winning CUSA). 9-3 ECU wouldn't be considered (not winning AAC). 10-2 Georgia Southern wouldn't be considered (1st year into FBS; by rule can't).

You have to wonder, maybe the committee would not let Marshall go under any circumstance.
11-08-2014 01:18 PM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

(11-08-2014 01:02 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  NIUSox,

Yes I understand that.

(11-08-2014 01:02 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  If Marshall loses in the CUSAC game and LA-Tech goes 9-4, who lost to a D1AA team -- how would they compare to a 11-2 NIU or 10-3 WMU/BGSU?

I agree with the scenario if a big upset occurs in the conf champ games that it could take that conference out of the access bowl running.

(11-08-2014 01:02 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  Also -- no, the MAC is not the worst conference. Conferences broken up into divisions has the MAC West rated just fine in the mid-majors.

The MAC as a whole went 4-10 vs G5 teams and 4-21 vs the P5. I agree the MAC is not the worst conference, that accomplishment lies with the Sun Belt. But this MAC OOC record against our peer G5 schools, the record vs the P5 (no ranked wins), and several slaughters where the score was in the neighborhood of 60ish to 10ish, does not build conference equity within the eyes of the Committee when comparing to MW/CUSA/AAC.

The MAC really needs to beat the G5 when we play them so we have ground to stand on. When MAC teams beat up on the rest of the MAC, but our conference record in OOC is .286 and .160, it doesnt put as much value on those conference wins.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-710632.html

(11-08-2014 01:02 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  It's not the same thing as yesteryear when you had to be in the Top 16 + ranked higher than a P5 conference champ! It's easier now, technically. You just have to be the best CONFERENCE CHAMP.

[/b]
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 01:27 PM by NIUSox10.)
11-08-2014 01:26 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:You have to wonder, maybe the committee would not let Marshall go under any circumstance.

Now, that's ridiculous. :) Unless WMU's old coach is on the committee (when WMU & Marshall were rivals), I don't see them having a bias against Marshall to prevent them No Matter What. :)

Take my hypothetical-stretch of teams above. Nobody beat a P5 team, except NIU beating NW. Replace the LA-Tech upset and put Marshall in there at 13-0. Marshall would go above NIU. Marshall's SoS is worse, but the MOV is consistent and clear -- they'd go over NIU, hands down. If NIU didn't lose to CMU and was 12-1? Then very possibly NIU.

All the committee is positioning themselves as, is: You need WINS over tough opponents or very competitive games ("good losses") against very tough opponents to get 'up there'. But that's not the only thing, nor the overall "thing" either, of course. The wind just blows a bit heavier in that direction than some other polls, that's it.
11-08-2014 01:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.