UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GET A GRIP!
AnimeBlazer Away
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB
GET A GRIP!
I shall henceforth call this whole affair the 'chicken little putsch'.

I realize that every so often you people give in to your psychosis (like that rich acceptance of another year of Call Away), but it's time to reach down deep, take a breath and calm down.

Turning the attendance at the albeit important (but in the grand scheme rather mundane) La Tech game into some existential referendum on our program is a no-win scenario.

If we were one or two poorly attended football games away from some administrative axe then a couple extra sold hot dogs in November weren't going to do anything about it anyway.

Attendance is up this year.
Team performance is up this year.

We might have a chance at a bowl if you people will get a grip, go somewhere and deal with yourself and/or otherwise stop distracting the team.

I am not worried. If something were to move on our football program I would be enraged, but not worried.

TO ANYONE THAT MAY BE PLANNING such a move on our program I strongly suggest you dot every "i" and cross every "T" because I can assure you a lawsuit will be heading your way if you eliminate or otherwise unfairly attack UAB Football. I assure you that this is not an idle threat. After all, I'll have all the money I was going to donate to the building of our OCS to keep it well funded.

Calm down chicken little. It'll be OK. Because if it isn't there will be at least one well funded lawsuit for them to contend with. And it will hurt a lot more than an email.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 11:10 AM by AnimeBlazer.)
11-06-2014 11:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

backyardblazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
RE: GET A GRIP!
Good post!
11-06-2014 11:11 AM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(11-06-2014 11:05 AM)AnimeBlazer Wrote:  I shall henceforth call this whole affair the 'chicken little putsch'.

I realize that every so often you people give in to your psychosis (like that rich acceptance of another year of Call Away), but it's time to reach down deep, take a breath and calm down.

Turning the attendance at the albeit important (but in the grand scheme rather mundane) La Tech game into some existential referendum on our program is a no-win scenario.

If we were one or two poorly attended football games away from some administrative axe then a couple extra sold hot dogs in November weren't going to do anything about it anyway.

Attendance is up this year.
Team performance is up this year.

We might have a chance at a bowl if you people will get a grip, go somewhere and deal with yourself and/or otherwise stop distracting the team.

I am not worried. If something were to move on our football program I would be enraged, but not worried.

TO ANYONE THAT MAY BE PLANNING such a move on our program I strongly suggest you dot every "i" and cross every "T" because I can assure you a lawsuit will be heading your way if you eliminate or otherwise unfairly attack UAB Football. I assure you that this is not an idle threat. After all, I'll have all the money I was going to donate to the building of our OCS to keep it well funded.

Calm down chicken little. It'll be OK. Because if it isn't there will be at least one well funded lawsuit for them to contend with. And it will hurt a lot more than an email.

Go ahead and get your lawyer ready then.

By the way, having a huge crowd Saturday won't hurt us one bit.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 11:17 AM by the Dragon.)
11-06-2014 11:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nicknitro19 Offline
Special Teams

That is pretty much what my buddy just told me. Support the team and support the new Football Foundation. Stuff like this is what they are for. And it makes sense because both the President and the Athletic Director met with them.
11-06-2014 11:17 AM
AnimeBlazer Away
Special Teams

(11-06-2014 11:16 AM)the Dragon Wrote:  ...having a huge crowd Saturday won't hurt us one bit.

On that sir we are in complete accord.
11-06-2014 11:19 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2014 11:05 AM)AnimeBlazer Wrote:  TO ANYONE THAT MAY BE PLANNING such a move on our program I strongly suggest you dot every "i" and cross every "T" because I can assure you a lawsuit will be heading your way if you eliminate or otherwise unfairly attack UAB Football. I assure you that this is not an idle threat. After all, I'll have all the money I was going to donate to the building of our OCS to keep it well funded.

Out of all the crap that has been going around the past week, this is the craziest thing I've heard. On what basis would you ever have to sue anyone over this? First, you can't sue the University of Alabama System because it's a state entity. Second, the Board of Trustees can do whatever they want. They're the governing board of the university. That's exactly their charge--to manage the university. I don't want to see UAB football go anywhere but expecting to be able to 1) sue the Board 2) win 3) get any money out of it is just nutty and shows that you don't have any idea of what you're talking about.
11-06-2014 11:51 AM
Advertisement

AnimeBlazer Away
Special Teams

(11-06-2014 11:51 AM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 11:05 AM)AnimeBlazer Wrote:  TO ANYONE THAT MAY BE PLANNING such a move on our program I strongly suggest you dot every "i" and cross every "T" because I can assure you a lawsuit will be heading your way if you eliminate or otherwise unfairly attack UAB Football. I assure you that this is not an idle threat. After all, I'll have all the money I was going to donate to the building of our OCS to keep it well funded.

Out of all the crap that has been going around the past week, this is the craziest thing I've heard. On what basis would you ever have to sue anyone over this? First, you can't sue the University of Alabama System because it's a state entity. Second, the Board of Trustees can do whatever they want. They're the governing board of the university. That's exactly their charge--to manage the university. I don't want to see UAB football go anywhere but expecting to be able to 1) sue the Board 2) win 3) get any money out of it is just nutty and shows that you don't have any idea of what you're talking about.

This ain't no personal injury case. Nor is it a threat to sue "the board".
11-06-2014 11:55 AM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

That's fine and all, but withholding your threat now - because you just want to celebrate this group of hardworking overachievers - about a lawsuit that could happen after the fact makes everything you said moot. If we don't get in front of this, the damage will be permanent and irreversible...and you should enjoy our bowl game because it would be the last football game ever played by UAB. Zero percent of that is hyperbole.
11-06-2014 11:56 AM
AnimeBlazer Away
Special Teams

(11-06-2014 11:56 AM)blazr Wrote:  

That's fine and all, but withholding your threat now - because you just want to celebrate this group of hardworking overachievers - about a lawsuit that could happen after the fact makes everything you said moot. If we don't get in front of this, the damage will be permanent and irreversible...and you should enjoy our bowl game because it would be the last football game ever played by UAB. Zero percent of that is hyperbole.

I've been "in front of this" buying tickets and going to games since we were Division III.

I've even been around long enough to remember the last time that the world was going to end.

What you people need to do is start acting like we are a FBS program. Half the job is the attire...

Stop acting like you don't deserve to be here. Get OVER your inferiority complex!
11-06-2014 12:01 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2014 11:55 AM)AnimeBlazer Wrote:  

Then who exactly would you sue? And for what cause? FYI by suing UAB you'd be suing "the Board" because UAB *is* "the Board". Anyone who *could* shut down UAB football is fully within their rights and abilities to do so. We might not like it, but I fail to see what you would sue them for.
11-06-2014 12:02 PM
AnimeBlazer Away
Special Teams

(11-06-2014 12:02 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 11:55 AM)AnimeBlazer Wrote:  

Then who exactly would you sue? And for what cause? FYI by suing UAB you'd be suing "the Board" because UAB *is* "the Board". Anyone who *could* shut down UAB football is fully within their rights and abilities to do so. We might not like it, but I fail to see what you would sue them for.

Individuals in positions of responsibility who behave irresponsibly invite trouble upon themselves.
11-06-2014 12:11 PM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
That was my general thought when people were suggesting that the OCS was going to get illegally pulled off the agenda and buried, for no reason whatsoever. Come on...they can't/wont do that without a basis...they know there would be consequences...

OOPS
11-06-2014 12:17 PM
AnimeBlazer Away
Special Teams

(11-06-2014 12:17 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  That was my general thought when people were suggesting that the OCS was going to get illegally pulled off the agenda and buried, for no reason whatsoever. Come on...they can't/wont do that without a basis...they know there would be consequences...

OOPS

Killing a program leaves a much larger paper trail.
11-06-2014 12:22 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(11-06-2014 11:11 AM)backyardblazer Wrote:  Good post!

Yes, it is!
11-06-2014 12:30 PM
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
(11-06-2014 12:17 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  That was my general thought when people were suggesting that the OCS was going to get illegally pulled off the agenda and buried, for no reason whatsoever. Come on...they can't/wont do that without a basis...they know there would be consequences...

OOPS

Yeah... I mean they would have to do an outside feasibility study or something wouldn't they? 05-stirthepot
11-06-2014 12:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2014 12:33 PM)BTR Wrote:  

OOPS

Yeah... I mean they would have to do an outside feasibility study or something wouldn't they? 05-stirthepot

Um, no. There's no law that says "before you can close down UAB football, a feasibility study must be done". They can do whatever they want, they're in charge. That's how it works.
11-06-2014 12:43 PM
Advertisement

imjustafatkid Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama/UAB/UNA
Great post. I feel like all the news this week is a distraction and I hope the team isn't paying attention. This kind of stuff belongs in the off-season when it can't affect the mindset of the 18-21 year olds playing on the team.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 01:00 PM by imjustafatkid.)
11-06-2014 01:00 PM
KSUBlazer Offline
Special Teams

If anything, someone would have a better chance of suing them for breach of fiduciary duty if their actions could be shown to devalue your degree. Technically, the football team and staff would be "injured" by the actions of the board because it will cost them time and money to change schools, and in some situations they might not be able to do so. Proving it is hard, though, and it's an expensive proposition to pursue. Even if there was a good chance of proving injury, the board would be much more likely to settle simply by compensating players and coaches with a one time cash payment.

The only real way to impact the results henceforth is butts in seats and media attention to shady dealings. IF you can show beyond a shadow of a doubt (with real, physical proof) that members of the board are breaking the law in their dealings, it moves out of the civil arena and into a place where prosecutors can attempt to hold them accountable for their actions, or face punishment themselves for failing to do so. Doesn't mean that they won't still shut down our program, but maybe you can have the satisfaction of seeing Bear Jr and his ilk cast down in shame and do a couple of years in prison. Not likely, but one can hope.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 01:13 PM by KSUBlazer.)
11-06-2014 01:13 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(11-06-2014 01:13 PM)KSUBlazer Wrote:  If anything, someone would have a better chance of suing them for breach of fiduciary duty if their actions could be shown to devalue your degree. Technically, the football team and staff would be "injured" by the actions of the board because it will cost them time and money to change schools, and in some situations they might not be able to do so. Proving it is hard, though, and it's an expensive proposition to pursue. Even if there was a good chance of proving injury, the board would be much more likely to settle simply by compensating players and coaches with a one time cash payment.

The only real way to impact the results henceforth is butts in seats and media attention to shady dealings. IF you can show beyond a shadow of a doubt (with real, physical proof) that members of the board are breaking the law in their dealings, it moves out of the civil arena and into a place where prosecutors can attempt to hold them accountable for their actions, or face punishment themselves for failing to do so. Doesn't mean that they won't still shut down our program, but maybe you can have the satisfaction of seeing Bear Jr and his ilk cast down in shame and do a couple of years in prison. Not likely, but one can hope.

they can take their "30 pieces of silver" & shove them up their ___!!!
11-06-2014 01:19 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2014 01:13 PM)KSUBlazer Wrote:  If anything, someone would have a better chance of suing them for breach of fiduciary duty if their actions could be shown to devalue your degree. Technically, the football team and staff would be "injured" by the actions of the board because it will cost them time and money to change schools, and in some situations they might not be able to do so. Proving it is hard, though, and it's an expensive proposition to pursue. Even if there was a good chance of proving injury, the board would be much more likely to settle simply by compensating players and coaches with a one time cash payment.

Unless your degree is in football, I don't see how shutting down the program devalues your degree. In the long run maybe if it contributes to a decline of UAB overall, but I am not convinced that will happen, and even if it does that is a very long game and speculative. All UAB has to do is honor current contracts and guarantee the scholarships of existing players even after the program is closed to avoid any lawsuits on that front.
11-06-2014 01:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.