Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Former UAB football players concerned the program may be shut down
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Former UAB football players concerned the program may be shut down
Some former UAB football players are concerned that the results of a study that's part of a university-wide strategic plan could lead to the elimination of the school's football program.

UAB Football
11-06-2014 04:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnoxTiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Former UAB football players concerned the program may be shut down
We'll know in 8-to-12 weeks.
11-06-2014 06:59 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
im sure uab wont be the first to look at something like this - there are a more than a handful of schools that are blowing cash they cant really afford on football and the new reality of P5/G5 is going to force the issue.
11-06-2014 07:13 AM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
I agree, I'm sure they won't be the last to look into something like this...
11-06-2014 07:38 AM
rodtheman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: *E*C*U*
Hope UAB Stays in Football. But somehow, you have to be able to get out from under the thumb of the board of trustees that only want to insure there is never any competition to Bama.
11-06-2014 07:48 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Has zero to do with blowing cash and everything to do with UAT and UAB sharing a BOT. Alabama has had their foot on UAB athletics' throat for decades. They nixed the Jimbo Fisher hire and made them hire Neil Calloway. They killed the OCS initiative by simply pulling it from the BOT agenda. Poof...gone. Bama is hilarious. UAB could never rise to their levels but their mere existence is an issue.
11-06-2014 08:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
UAB needs to be freed from Tuscaloosa (ideal) or shut down (not ideal), because they're never going to be successful with one hand tied behind their back.
11-06-2014 08:48 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
Wow, zero OOC games past 2016 seems very telling... The comment on UAB forming a PAC to get into the ACC is awesome.

Such a shame for UAB, but as long as they are under the Bama BOT things will never change. I'd say just be the best basketball program you can be, but looking at conference options I don't know what they could do... I'd lobby like hell to get into the A-10 but they'd be a extreme outlier...
11-06-2014 09:05 AM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies
I was rooting for UAB to make it, but they had all the chips stacked against them. After the Fisher incident they should have seen the writing on the wall....
11-06-2014 09:09 AM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(11-06-2014 08:27 AM)panama Wrote:  Has zero to do with blowing cash and everything to do with UAT and UAB sharing a BOT. Alabama has had their foot on UAB athletics' throat for decades. They nixed the Jimbo Fisher hire and made them hire Neil Calloway. They killed the OCS initiative by simply pulling it from the BOT agenda. Poof...gone. Bama is hilarious. UAB could never rise to their levels but their mere existence is an issue.
I wish people would just either explain or spell out what an acronym stands for. What a BOT?

In computer terms it general mean "robot" that automatically performs functions looking like a human did those functions but I don't think that's what you mean.

What's an OCS initiative?
11-06-2014 09:13 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(11-06-2014 09:13 AM)sfink16 Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 08:27 AM)panama Wrote:  Has zero to do with blowing cash and everything to do with UAT and UAB sharing a BOT. Alabama has had their foot on UAB athletics' throat for decades. They nixed the Jimbo Fisher hire and made them hire Neil Calloway. They killed the OCS initiative by simply pulling it from the BOT agenda. Poof...gone. Bama is hilarious. UAB could never rise to their levels but their mere existence is an issue.
I wish people would just either explain or spell out what an acronym stands for. What a BOT?

In computer terms it general mean "robot" that automatically performs functions looking like a human did those functions but I don't think that's what you mean.

Board of Trustees

On Campus Stadium
11-06-2014 09:17 AM
Advertisement

justin_sane15 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Texas St

BOT = Board of Trustees

OCS = On-campus stadium
11-06-2014 09:19 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(11-06-2014 09:05 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  Wow, zero OOC games past 2016 seems very telling... The comment on UAB forming a PAC to get into the ACC is awesome.

Such a shame for UAB, but as long as they are under the Bama BOT things will never change. I'd say just be the best basketball program you can be, but looking at conference options I don't know what they could do... I'd lobby like hell to get into the A-10 but they'd be a extreme outlier...

I'm thinking it's likely Atlantic Sun.

It's unfortunate, UCF and UAB moved up to FBS about the same time. If UF was able to pull the crap 'Bama does, we'd probably be in their boat too.
11-06-2014 09:22 AM
sfink16 Offline
All American

(11-06-2014 09:17 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

Board of Trustees

On Campus Stadium

Thanks! I've seen the on-campus stadium before but forgot that one.
11-06-2014 09:30 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(11-06-2014 04:50 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Some former UAB football players are concerned that the results of a study that's part of a university-wide strategic plan could lead to the elimination of the school's football program.

UAB Football

Sorry, but I think 128 FBS programs is about 30 too many. UAB should discontinue FBS football--probably football altogether...
11-06-2014 09:33 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
While I agree that there are already too many FBS schools, UAB dropping out would probably not reduce the number, because C-USA would probably replace them with a SBC team and the SBC would then probably "call up" another school to take their place.
11-06-2014 09:52 AM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(11-06-2014 09:52 AM)Chappy Wrote:  While I agree that there are already too many FBS schools, UAB dropping out would probably not reduce the number, because C-USA would probably replace them with a SBC team and the SBC would then probably "call up" another school to take their place.

No, they'll either add UMass as a football only. Or...JMU gets into CUSA.
11-06-2014 10:04 AM
sfink16 Offline
All American

(11-06-2014 09:33 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 04:50 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Some former UAB football players are concerned that the results of a study that's part of a university-wide strategic plan could lead to the elimination of the school's football program.

UAB Football

Sorry, but I think 128 FBS programs is about 30 too many. UAB should discontinue FBS football--probably football altogether...

I agree that 30 schools is probably too many. I hate to say this but the G5 probably won't survive in its current form in the future.

Subtract 30 schools and that leaves close to 35 schools from the G5 today. This could make a competitive G2 or G3 to the point where schools like Marshall have better schedules by default.

The top G2 or G3 schools playing a middle or bottom of the new G2 or G3 would be no worse the the P5 schools playing the likes of Wake Forest and Vanderbilt.

No disrespect to the bottom schools of the G5 today but they are dragging down the SOS for the rest of the G5 schools.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 10:22 AM by sfink16.)
11-06-2014 10:14 AM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
(11-06-2014 10:04 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 09:52 AM)Chappy Wrote:  While I agree that there are already too many FBS schools, UAB dropping out would probably not reduce the number, because C-USA would probably replace them with a SBC team and the SBC would then probably "call up" another school to take their place.

No, they'll either add UMass as a football only. Or...JMU gets into CUSA.

JMU would be a call-up and thus no reduction.
11-06-2014 10:22 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
(11-06-2014 10:14 AM)sfink16 Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 09:33 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

UAB Football

I agree that 30 schools is probably too many. I hate to say this but the G5 probably won't survive in its current form in the future.

Subtract 30 schools and that leaves close to 35 schools from the G5 today. This could make a competitive G2 or G3 to the point where schools like Marshall have better schedules by default.

The top G2 or G3 schools playing a middle or bottom of the new G2 or G3 would be no worse the the P5 schools playing the likes of Wake Forest and Vanderbilt.

No disrespect to the bottom schools of the G5 today but they are dragging down the SOS for the rest of the G5 schools.

Except for the fact UAB is 5-4 This year. We finally have a coach that can coach his way out of a wet paper bag. It is utterly ridiculous that everytime we have something good going the bot tries to pull the rug.

Some of our former conference mates know about our history. This has happened before back in 2004. We had a good season and things were looking up and the BOT said they might be shutting down our program.

It is almost identical situation. Not very many schools could survive that kind of tampering with.
11-06-2014 10:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.