Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU men's basketball preview by Hustlebelt
Bookmark and Share
niuaccy1976 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
MyBB NIU men's basketball preview by Hustlebelt
http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-basketball...is-huskies

"NIU basketball has become the thorn in the Mid-American Conference's side. The team that can take another out of its system...frustrate them, annoy them, piss them the hell off. The team that you dread to see. The team you don't want to see if you absolutely need to win. You know how the rest of the MAC fans feel about the football program? NIU basketball is inching closer to that."
11-04-2014 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
RE: NIU men's basketball preview by Hustlebelt
There is a real disdain for by pundits, experts, and even other in basketball for a team that concentrates on defense. This was experienced by Wisconsin in the early 2000's during the Dick Bennett era. Teams despised Wisconsin for playing their style, and I think part of that lack of respect for NIU this preseason is because people hate watching that style and view it as illegitimate basketball, that is basketball where defense is played.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 12:00 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
11-04-2014 12:00 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

I Root For: NIU
(11-04-2014 12:00 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  There is a real disdain for by pundits, experts, and even other in basketball for a team that concentrates on defense. This was experienced by Wisconsin in the early 2000's during the Dick Bennett era. Teams despised Wisconsin for playing their style, and I think part of that lack of respect for NIU this preseason is because people hate watching that style and view it as illegitimate basketball, that is basketball where defense is played.

I don't know, the Bulls are a defensive minded team and they get a lot of respect and are loved throughout the NBA. Now if you are just speaking of college basketball, then that may be true. I don't follow college basketball, so I couldn't comment.
11-04-2014 12:06 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-04-2014 12:06 PM)timxlydon Wrote:  
(11-04-2014 12:00 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  There is a real disdain for by pundits, experts, and even other in basketball for a team that concentrates on defense. This was experienced by Wisconsin in the early 2000's during the Dick Bennett era. Teams despised Wisconsin for playing their style, and I think part of that lack of respect for NIU this preseason is because people hate watching that style and view it as illegitimate basketball, that is basketball where defense is played.

I don't know, the Bulls are a defensive minded team and they get a lot of respect and are loved throughout the NBA. Now if you are just speaking of college basketball, then that may be true. I don't follow college basketball, so I couldn't comment.

Even with the Bulls though, most never consider them a true title contender. There could be a little bit of truth in it, as a team with NIU's offense last year probably can't win a conference. I think they will be better this year, but a lot of these pundits are not taking that into account and penalizing NIU for its defensive past. Time to prove it on the court. Probably some growing pains in the non-conf season assimiliating all these new parts, but come conference season I think NIU will be one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the conference.
11-04-2014 12:19 PM
beachboy Offline
1st String

I Root For: huskies

Dick Bennett with Wisconsin-Green Bay predates that hatred. That team ALWAYS beat the Huskies with their big, slow, sharpshooting Scandinavian post players who played killer defense. Jeremy Ludvigson, Jeff Norgaard, Logan Vander Velden, Dean Vander Plas. They drove you nuts!
11-04-2014 12:21 PM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
Nah, if you win with defense, people fight to slobber over the coach and his "toughness." If you win with offense, the coach gets slobbered on for his or her "system."

People just don't pay attention to NIU because they haven't made any noise in almost forever. It's ignorance, not disdain.
11-04-2014 12:22 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-04-2014 12:22 PM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  Nah, if you win with defense, people fight to slobber over the coach and his "toughness." If you win with offense, the coach gets slobbered on for his or her "system."

People just don't pay attention to NIU because they haven't made any noise in almost forever. It's ignorance, not disdain.

I disagree with that. Wisconsin was a final four team in 2000 and people shot that team down over and over and over again. It doesn't make for great TV, and people really resent that. I think its a bit of both, ignorance and disdain
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 12:28 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
11-04-2014 12:28 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I find it strange that anyone would be confused why people wouldn't enjoy watching low scoring, low possesion games.

I personally enjoy 44-40 college basketball games, but I know I'm in the extreme minority there.
11-04-2014 12:40 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(11-04-2014 12:40 PM)7 Wrote:  I find it strange that anyone would be confused why people wouldn't enjoy watching low scoring, low possesion games.

I personally enjoy 44-40 college basketball games, but I know I'm in the extreme minority there.

I don't mind low scoring, defensive college games. It's when the low scoring is due to ineptitude on offense that bothers me.
11-04-2014 12:42 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
(11-04-2014 12:42 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(11-04-2014 12:40 PM)7 Wrote:  I find it strange that anyone would be confused why people wouldn't enjoy watching low scoring, low possesion games.

I don't mind low scoring, defensive college games. It's when the low scoring is due to ineptitude on offense that bothers me.
What he said. If there are charges, blocks, and steals, that is a great game. Just a bunch of missed shots is boring.
11-04-2014 12:53 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Usually low scoring college games are more missed shots and turnovers than great defense though, especially in the MAC.

The EMU-NIU games have to be unwatchable for anyone else.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 01:01 PM by 7.)
11-04-2014 01:01 PM
Advertisement

Who You Crappin'? Offline
1st String

(11-04-2014 12:28 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(11-04-2014 12:22 PM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  Nah, if you win with defense, people fight to slobber over the coach and his "toughness." If you win with offense, the coach gets slobbered on for his or her "system."

I disagree with that. Wisconsin was a final four team in 2000 and people shot that team down over and over and over again. It doesn't make for great TV, and people really resent that. I think its a bit of both, ignorance and disdain

It's because our Huskies beat them right before their run to the Final Four. Best game I ever attended at Chick Evans! I miss that team! Whatever happened to "Downtown" Mike Brown? Dude could shoot the lights out. I know TJ and I believe Rodgers ended up Europe.
11-04-2014 01:07 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
NIU men's basketball preview by Hustlebelt
EMU has low scoring games because it takes multiple passes to find someone open. And on offense, they basically run a 3 man weave until there is 12 seconds left on the shot clock, then someone penetrates or dishes. Both offensive and defensive styles eat up clock. To murphys credit, he's gone away from the 3 man weave more and more every year. Also, he's had better players every year and his win total has increased.

NIU has engaged in low scoring affairs under Monty for two reasons. Absolute lock down defense that makes it really hard to get open and score. And, being young/inexperienced and/or inept on offense while being really patient at the same time. Very disciplined but lacking talent would be a better way to put it. And likewise, Monty has increased his talent level every year at NIU. And wins have gone up too.
11-04-2014 02:22 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(11-04-2014 12:53 PM)HuskieJ Wrote:  
(11-04-2014 12:42 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

What he said. If there are charges, blocks, and steals, that is a great game. Just a bunch of missed shots is boring.

True. I remember enjoying the games against Wisconsin-Green Bay, other than the final score usually. Not a lot of points but the execution was there.
11-04-2014 02:53 PM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu

the important thing for Monty is to make up his mind on a point guard right away and not start the season rotating point guards.
11-04-2014 03:33 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(11-04-2014 03:33 PM)GCD70 Wrote:  

the important thing for Monty is to make up his mind on a point guard right away and not start the season rotating point guards.
Did you make a funny again, GCD?
11-04-2014 04:33 PM
Advertisement

niu79 Offline
All American

(11-04-2014 12:21 PM)beachboy Wrote:  

Dick Bennett with Wisconsin-Green Bay predates that hatred. That team ALWAYS beat the Huskies with their big, slow, sharpshooting Scandinavian post players who played killer defense. Jeremy Ludvigson, Jeff Norgaard, Logan Vander Velden, Dean Vander Plas. They drove you nuts!

LOL, They are Belgian surnames, not Scandinavian. Lots of Belgians settled in the Green Bay area, including Curly Lambeau.
11-04-2014 04:35 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(11-04-2014 04:35 PM)niu79 Wrote:  

LOL, They are Belgian surnames, not Scandinavian. Lots of Belgians settled in the Green Bay area, including Curly Lambeau.

They must have great waffles and chocolate in Green Bay.
11-04-2014 04:39 PM
niuaccy1976 Offline
1st String

I hated those guys but it was a great rivalry, one that I miss.

I think UWGB beat us three times in our 25-6 NCAA season. They held us to 39 points in the conference tournament but we got an at large NCAA bid (!).
11-04-2014 04:53 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

When you exert that much energy on the defensive end though...that alone will hurt fg percentage of your offense
11-04-2014 05:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.