Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice v FIU Watch Parties!
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
Rice v FIU Watch Parties!
Quote:Date: Today, 01:00:00 PM CDT
Subject: Find a Rice vs. FIU watch party near you!

Regional Football Watch Parties
Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014
11 a.m. CDT
American Sports Network

Join fellow Rice fans in your area to cheer the Owls on to victory as they take on the FIU Panthers.

Miami
Sarussi
10600 Southwest 8th Street
Miami, FL 33174
Meet for a pre-game breakfast before you head to the game, or stay and cheer the team on with fellow Rice fans.

Austin
UPDATED LOCATION!
Cover 3
2700 West Anderson Lane, Suite 202
Austin, TX 78757

Houston
Jake's/Bigg's
2944 Chimney Rock
Houston, TX 77056

An updated list of cities hosting watch parties for the Rice vs. FIU game can be found at alumni.rice.edu/events.

If you are interested in organizing or promoting watch parties in your area, please contact us at alumni@rice.edu.

Heading to Homecoming? Don't miss the Rice vs. UTSA game on Saturday, Nov. 8. All Rice alumni are invited to take advantage of an exclusive advance ticket sale discount. Click here to purchase your tickets (promo code: homecoming) or call 713-522-OWLS.

Rice Fight Never Dies!

Follow on Twitter | Like on Facebook
10-31-2014 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Rice v FIU Watch Parties!
I'll host a watch party if someone can get the game on TV in New Orleans! (not really, my daughter has a soccer game, but I'd like to DVR the game)
10-31-2014 01:14 PM
Owl97 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice/Pitt

New Orleans Bowl
I couldn't figure out whether the game would be on here early enough to schedule an official San Antonio watch party, but I'll be at Cover 3 on 1604 (1806 NW Loop 1604) at 11 am tomorrow in a Rice polo shirt to watch. Any other San Antonio-area Owl backers are encouraged to join me!
10-31-2014 08:09 PM
Advertisement

DFW Owl Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
Quote:Miami
Sarussi
10600 Southwest 8th Street
Miami, FL 33174
Meet for a pre-game breakfast before you head to the game, or stay and cheer the team on with fellow Rice fans.

I sure hope any Rice fans in Miami would actually go to the game after eating at this restaurant next to the FIU campus.
11-01-2014 05:59 AM
rice-76-03-06 Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
There are a bunch of us here at cover3in Austin. Unfortunately the game is blacked out.

Edit to add: no joy--the channel is available but the game is explicitly blacked out in Austin.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2014 11:38 AM by rice-76-03-06.)
11-01-2014 11:27 AM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(11-01-2014 11:27 AM)rice-76-03-06 Wrote:  There are a bunch of us here at cover3in Austin. Unfortunately the game is blacked out.

Edit to add: no joy--the channel is available but the game is explicitly blacked out in Austin.

Arrgghh! I had a a similar experience at a Palo Alto watch party several years ago. We had gone to extraordinary lengths to verify the feed, and then we were hosed. Sometimes, no matter how much due diligence you do, you still get shut out by the esoterica of TV contracts.
11-01-2014 08:37 PM
rice-76-03-06 Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(11-01-2014 08:37 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(11-01-2014 11:27 AM)rice-76-03-06 Wrote:  There are a bunch of us here at cover3in Austin. Unfortunately the game is blacked out.

Arrgghh! I had a a similar experience at a Palo Alto watch party several years ago. We had gone to extraordinary lengths to verify the feed, and then we were hosed. Sometimes, no matter how much due diligence you do, you still get shut out by the esoterica of TV contracts.
Just to make it clear: Cover 3 was excellent---They were expecting us, had a block of tables set aside for us, and were prepared to set multiple screens to show the Rice game. The Rice-FIU game was listed on the Direct TV channel guide at the expected channel, but at 11:00 the channel switched over to a blackout notice. The manager at Cover 3 called Direct TV to see why it was blacked out and attempted to get it authorized. No luck. Eventually, they switched over the screens to the A&M/LaMo game.

So....we had the bizarre image of a group of Rice fans (10 or so) sitting in a nice sports bar listening to the game call on an iPhone while watching the gametracker/statistics feed on other smart phones. On a positive note, it was great to see Taylor McHargue and his family.

We remain very curious as to why/how the specific Rice-FIU game got blacked out in the specific Austin area.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2014 08:50 PM by rice-76-03-06.)
11-01-2014 08:48 PM
Advertisement

YOwl Ming Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Re: RE: Rice v FIU Watch Parties!
[quote='rice-76-03-06' pid='11319204'

We remain very curious as to why/how the specific Rice-FIU game got blacked out in the specific Austin area.
[/quote]

Personally I blame the Longhorn Network
11-01-2014 09:27 PM
greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

(11-01-2014 09:27 PM)YOwl Ming Wrote:  [quote='rice-76-03-06' pid='11319204'

Personally I blame the Longhorn Network
[/quote]
Yeah. I agree. My family was in Austin this weekend and suffered thru the game being blacked out.
What is the reasoning behind blacking out a game televised in Austin between team from Houston and Miami?
11-01-2014 09:57 PM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(11-01-2014 08:48 PM)rice-76-03-06 Wrote:  
(11-01-2014 08:37 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  

Just to make it clear: Cover 3 was excellent---They were expecting us, had a block of tables set aside for us, and were prepared to set multiple screens to show the Rice game. The Rice-FIU game was listed on the Direct TV channel guide at the expected channel, but at 11:00 the channel switched over to a blackout notice. The manager at Cover 3 called Direct TV to see why it was blacked out and attempted to get it authorized. No luck. Eventually, they switched over the screens to the A&M/LaMo game.

So....we had the bizarre image of a group of Rice fans (10 or so) sitting in a nice sports bar listening to the game call on an iPhone while watching the gametracker/statistics feed on other smart phones.

That really is deja vu. At my Palo Alto debacle, we had 8-10 fans huddled around my laptop watching the game (baseball regional) on Owlvision. As in your case, the pub had done all they could; it was just one of those frustrating things that happens especially (seemingly almost uniquely) to Rice. I mention all this not to minimize your plight but to say that I COMPLETELY empathize.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2014 10:41 PM by georgewebb.)
11-01-2014 10:40 PM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(11-01-2014 08:48 PM)rice-76-03-06 Wrote:  We remain very curious as to why/how the specific Rice-FIU game got blacked out in the specific Austin area.

Austin's weird.
11-02-2014 11:29 AM
owl95 Offline
1st String

(11-02-2014 11:29 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  
(11-01-2014 08:48 PM)rice-76-03-06 Wrote:  We remain very curious as to why/how the specific Rice-FIU game got blacked out in the specific Austin area.

Austin's weird.

Keep Austin weird.
11-02-2014 11:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.