Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ollie wants UConn to play at MSG Annually
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
MyBB Ollie wants UConn to play at MSG Annually
http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2014/10...lo-goodbye

This would be great for UConn and I've been saying we need to do this for a while now. I think UConn should have one game at MSG every year. I don't care if it's old Big East rivals or not. I'd prefer marquee matchups. I think UConn should even consider playing some games at Boston's TD Garden.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 04:33 PM by HartfordHusky.)
10-30-2014 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: Ollie wants UConn to plat at MSG Annually
ok...
10-30-2014 01:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
(10-30-2014 01:02 PM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2014/10...lo-goodbye

This would be great for UConn and I've been saying we need to do this for a while now. I think UConn should have one game at MSG every year. I don't care if it's old Big East rivals or not. I'd prefer marquee matchups. I think UConn should even consider playing some games at Boston's TD Garden.

As for old Big East rivals, the only ones deserving of playing us at MSG are Georgetown, St.John's, and Villanova. If not one of those three schools, go with a marquee name like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, or Michigan State. Or, showcase the AAC by taking on a remaining conference mate who used to be in the Big East with us (Cincinnati) or a school that is solid in hoop that isn't too far away from NYC either (Temple).
10-30-2014 01:22 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-30-2014 01:22 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  
(10-30-2014 01:02 PM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2014/10...lo-goodbye

As for old Big East rivals, the only ones deserving of playing us at MSG are Georgetown, St.John's, and Villanova. If not one of those three schools, go with a marquee name like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, or Michigan State. Or, showcase the AAC by taking on a remaining conference mate who used to be in the Big East with us (Cincinnati) or a school that is solid in hoop that isn't too far away from NYC either (Temple).

what about Syracuse?

Also playing at MSG could be as simple as one of those early season tournaments.
10-30-2014 01:27 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps

Its actually a GREAT idea and the rest of the league should look into similar stuff. I actually think that Cinci, Memphis and Uconn should look into their games being played in a large venue outside of their homecourt. Make a huge spectacle of it and get some buzz going.

We might not be respected in football...yet, but we do have some elite assets in Basketball and I think more should be done with it.

I can see a Memphis vs Uconn game at Madison selling very well.
10-30-2014 01:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(10-30-2014 01:27 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

what about Syracuse?

Also playing at MSG could be as simple as one of those early season tournaments.

UCONN has been trying to schedule Syracuse for a while now. It doesn't fit their OOC scheduling MO. Time to try someone else...
10-30-2014 01:31 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(10-30-2014 01:28 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  

Its actually a GREAT idea and the rest of the league should look into similar stuff. I actually think that Cinci, Memphis and Uconn should look into their games being played in a large venue outside of their homecourt. Make a huge spectacle of it and get some buzz going.

We might not be respected in football...yet, but we do have some elite assets in Basketball and I think more should be done with it.

Memphis played Florida @MSG last season...
10-30-2014 01:36 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

Memphis vs. UConn at MSG would be great in about three years. We need a little more time to establish a conference rivalry and develop some bad blood with them. After a few more regular season barnburners and some AAC Tournament showdowns, our fanbases should resent each other enough to make that worthwhile.
04-cheers
10-30-2014 01:55 PM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(10-30-2014 01:36 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

Memphis played Florida @MSG last season...

ok...
10-30-2014 02:01 PM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

(10-30-2014 01:55 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  

Memphis vs. UConn at MSG would be great in about three years. We need a little more time to establish a conference rivalry and develop some bad blood with them. After a few more regular season barnburners and some AAC Tournament showdowns, our fanbases should resent each other enough to make that worthwhile.
04-cheers

The issue with this is someone would have to give up a conference home game for this. I'd prefer nonconference.
10-30-2014 02:12 PM
kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(10-30-2014 02:12 PM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  
(10-30-2014 01:28 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  [quote='HartfordHusky' pid='11308552' dateline='1414692158']
http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2014/10...lo-goodbye

04-cheers
[/quote

The issue with this is someone would have to give up a conference home game for this. I'd prefer nonconference.

Why would you help a team from the ACC who left you behind and dumped on the BE by giving the a mar key game at MSG. Let the do there own work
10-30-2014 03:08 PM
Advertisement

UConnHusky Offline
All American

04-cheers

Good point. Back to this list:
Georgetown, St.John's, and Villanova, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, Michigan State
10-30-2014 03:17 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(10-30-2014 03:17 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  

04-cheers

Good point. Back to this list:
Georgetown, St.John's, and Villanova, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, Michigan State

I like the men's and women's MSG doubleheader idea of Kentucky vs UCONN.
10-30-2014 03:20 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
RE: Ollie wants UConn to play at MSG Annually
Id rather see us keep it "in conference". We need to hype the fact that were a damn good bball conference. Cinci Uconn Memphis and Temple are usually conference teams. Why not highlight that.
10-30-2014 09:55 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-30-2014 09:55 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  Id rather see us keep it "in conference". We need to hype the fact that were a damn good bball conference. Cinci Uconn Memphis and Temple are usually conference teams. Why not highlight that.

Teams aren't going to give up home conference games. That's just not going to happen.

I could see maybe an AAC doubleheader where maybe you have UConn/St John's and then Temple/someone else.
10-30-2014 10:36 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
i would rather watch monkeys throwing poop at the atlanta zoo than go to new york for anything
10-31-2014 01:47 AM
Advertisement

upstater1 Offline
1st String

(10-30-2014 01:27 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

what about Syracuse?

Unfortunately, because those tourneys do not have set opponents, typically, UConn would not fill MSG. The game would sell if you had old BE rivals or a Duke, for instance. I've been to many a holiday tourney at MSG and the attendance and the fans are typically moribund. no one is getting up for Utah or West Virginia at that time of year.

Last year, Maryland was the home team and in charge of tickets for the game at Brooklyn and the UConn crowd was only about 33%. Maryland had about 50%. it was a sellout, but that to me is typically how it goes for UConn. If the games are against familiar opponents at a normal game price, it will sell out. If the games are Feb or March, they'll sell out.

A decade ago I was in the told Continental Airlines arena in New Jersey for a game against Seton Hall in Feb. The place was packed to the gills with UConn fans.
10-31-2014 09:04 AM
upstater1 Offline
1st String

(10-31-2014 01:47 AM)shere khan Wrote:  i would rather watch monkeys throwing poop at the atlanta zoo than go to new york for anything

I think you've been infected with something. You're not supposed to eat the poop monkeys throw at you at the zoo. In Atlanta. Or anywhere else for that matter.
10-31-2014 09:06 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(10-31-2014 01:47 AM)shere khan Wrote:  i would rather watch monkeys throwing poop at the atlanta zoo than go to new york for anything

This sentiment is not shared in Cincy. We recruit NY hard and have a lot of interest in playing at MSG I'm sure. I don't know if a conference game could be worked out, but maybe something like a double header.

Just spitballing, but UC played Pitt at MSG the first year Pitt left. I wonder if UConn would help headline some kind of a DH with UConn/UC playing against Pitt/Cuse or Pitt/Gtown or something like that.
10-31-2014 09:48 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(10-31-2014 09:48 AM)uccheese Wrote:  

This sentiment is not shared in Cincy. We recruit NY hard and have a lot of interest in playing at MSG I'm sure. I don't know if a conference game could be worked out, but maybe something like a double header.

Just spitballing, but UC played Pitt at MSG the first year Pitt left. I wonder if UConn would help headline some kind of a DH with UConn/UC playing against Pitt/Cuse or Pitt/Gtown or something like that.

I like this idea. It would be like having our own mini challenge of old Big East schools:

AAC vs NBE:

UCONN vs Nova
Cincinnati vs Georgetown

AAC vs ACC:

UCONN vs Syracuse
Cincinnati vs Pitt/Louisville
10-31-2014 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.