10-30-2014 11:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Unnecessary roughness? Players question NCAA's record on concussions
I understand the parent's anger. But, how can the NCAA possibly monitor every practice at every institution?
10-30-2014 12:08 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I'm sorry, but if that happened to my kid, those coaches would never have to worry about seeing the inside of a courtroom. What a bunch of f'ing scumbags that think they are coaching in the NFL - in the 60's. Pathetic.
10-30-2014 06:14 PM
northrocket43 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Toledo
Changes to the game are certain. The motivation will be driven by the neuroscience on head injury and the litigation risk which will become financially debilitating at the youth, high school and college levels. The only uncertainty is how long it will take and how extensive the changes will be.
10-30-2014 09:33 PM
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Injuries in sports are unfortunately part of the game. My father was a HS athletic trainer for 30 years and is actually in the Ohio HS Athletic Trainer Hall of Fame. I remember him asking players if they were hurt or injured, those are two different things. Injured, you're not going back in. If hurt, is it something that can be taped, wrapped, band aided, stretched, etc,, a player can shake it off and continue playing.

He still thanks his lucky stars in 30 years of football games, wrestling matches, soccer, etc. he never had to cart a kid off the field with a serious neck injury, heat stroke, etc. Even now he knows he was lucky. Even as recent as 10 years ago there was no real protocol for head Injuries other than "yes he really got his bell rung," he or she needs to sit out a couple of series. Or maybe follow a pen tip with your eyes. I'm sure he had concussions slip through is radar, but again did the kid just get his bell rung or did he have a concussion? The OHHS Trainers association had a lot to do with setting protocols for coaches and providing training. He self admittedly was on the forefront of hydrating kids in the 70's when coaches were using no water as a motivator, that didn't happen on his watch. He was a big advocate of HS's having a team doctor who would be the real final say in if a kid was going back on the field.

He was in the first wave of official HS athletic trainers who started in the 70's who specialized in looking out for the well being of the kids. Before his group, there would be a coach with a tool box of band aids, maybe an hour or two of first aid training and "rubbing dirt in it" was the best medical advice they could suggest. My dad's group of HS trainers were the first one's pushing for required CPR certification for all coaches, rehabbing injuries, vs just having them play injured. He had a say if the kid was going back into a game. I know he didn't make some coaches happy over the years, but he was an impartial party who didn't care about wins and loses, he was there for the kids. I remember him in the Late 70's and early 80's developing soft casts that other trainers used for kids with broken wrists. They had to submit their design to OHSAA for approval so those kids could play, safely for themselves and others.

I don't envy anyone in the position to make judgment calls on the abilities of youth athletes. Coaches are supposed to motivate, encourage and push you past what you think your limits might be. Yes, some coaches go way over the line, but how many players also attribute that same or similar hard nosed coach for making them push past where they think they could go and being a role model in their lives. We all know W/L also determine occupational status and coaches see it as their job to get the most out of their players. I have young kids who are leaning towards athletics and I cross my fingers they have fun, will continue to have fun and remain injury free. I have no issue with pulling the plug or mincing words with a coach if I think a line has been crossed. My heart goes out to any parent who's lost a child related to a game.

Head injuries are such a moving target and it might be the only time I defend the NCAA. One kid can be a human battering ram and have no issues, another kid might get hit just right and from that point forward be a concussion waiting to happen. Is it the gear, is it the way we teach tackling, is it not having the right protocols in place and then monitoring who's following them? Are the kids just bigger and faster, thus the impacts are larger? It's such a huge issue, especially when a former player might not see the impact until 40 years down the road.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2014 09:28 AM by emanoh.)
10-31-2014 09:23 AM
northrocket43 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Toledo
An excellent study was conducted by the North Carolina Medical School a couple of years ago on head injuries at high school level. They fitted helmets of two high school teams with sensors and monitored players for force applied to the head throughout the season, practices and games included. Brain scans were completed on all players before and after the season. Their research documented brain lesions in a significant number of players in spite of the fact that only 3-4 players were diagnosed with concussions during the observation period.

This landmark research project validated that neurological risk is real for players who participate at all levels of the game. The data strongly suggests that neurological deficit can be the result of hits to the head whether or not their is a concussion. If this important work is indicative of long term health risk to players then it is imperative that major changes are made at least at youth and high school level. And, as I mentioned earlier in this string, this type of data will eventually drive changes to the way the game is played at all levels.
11-03-2014 07:33 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Toledo wears what I call their "Marshmallow" heads during practice. Outer padded gear to prevent against concussions. We only have so many to go around but Linemen, some WR's and RB's wear them. I love the idea. Better safe than sorry.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 11:06 AM by UofToledoFans.)
11-03-2014 11:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.