I hate Todd Monken
Bookmark and Share
USM Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM | UCI
I hate Todd Monken
rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8hq7SFel_0#t=1026
It's probable that Cole Weeks will be the starting QB for USM this week because of an injury to the starting QB and what does the head coach do during Southern Miss Sports Today? He basically says he doesn't have the ability to play at this level but hey, we can win some games with him.

This, as well as forgetting the name of the player you've just recruited during signing day (out of your back yard) irks me. It irks me to a level that I have a hard time believing Todd Monken should be a head coach. You do not need to say everything that comes into your head. When you're trying to build up a kid who is likely going to start at QB for you, don't tell the world that he isn't starter material. Don't make him doubt himself before he even has a chance to prove himself. Oh, and guess what? This kid threw for 338 yards with 1 TD and 2 INT's in relief and without preparation against La Tech.

Unfortunately, Monken's motivational style is much more like Pappy Buttermilk than LFed.
/rant
10-29-2014 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USMSTUD Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: I hate Todd Monken
There's a reason Weeks is a 5th year Senior and hasn't played much until now. I like that Monken tells it like it is and doesn't talk BS.
10-30-2014 08:59 AM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
I agree w/ USMSTUD, Monken isn't gonna feed you bullsh!t, he's gonna tell it like it is. The first thing he said about Cole Weeks is something to the effect of "Cole Weeks is well respected by everyone on the team, he's a unity-leader of this team.....God may not have blessed him w/ the abilities he needs to be 1st string QB" or something like that. That's not a knock on him....Monken is telling it like he is. Nothing to see here folks, just move on.....no, seriously....some folks are looking too much into Monken's comments. Beat UTEP or UTSA or whoever we are playing this weekend.
10-30-2014 09:34 AM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I'm glad Monken is our coach. I just wish he had been hired a year earlier.
10-30-2014 09:38 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I think Monken is doing a good job, but that is a strange statement. Weeks is a talented QB. He must know what motivates him?
10-30-2014 10:06 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Weeks isn't talented. He's a serviceable backup at best. An overachiever.
10-30-2014 11:58 AM
Advertisement

cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
Should have keep Bower. 05-stirthepot
10-30-2014 12:37 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(10-30-2014 09:34 AM)TTT Wrote:  I agree w/ USMSTUD, Monken isn't gonna feed you bullsh!t, he's gonna tell it like it is. The first thing he said about Cole Weeks is something to the effect of "Cole Weeks is well respected by everyone on the team, he's a unity-leader of this team.....God may not have blessed him w/ the abilities he needs to be 1st string QB" or something like that. That's not a knock on him....Monken is telling it like he is. Nothing to see here folks, just move on.....no, seriously....some folks are looking too much into Monken's comments. Beat UTEP or UTSA or whoever we are playing this weekend.

I talked with an OSU student about Monken after we hired him. His basic comment was "If you want PC speak, you've got the wrong guy. The two things Monken hates is not telling things like it is, and dealing with stupid questions from reporters".

That being said, I would have preferred if he had given Weeks a chance last season early instead of bringing in the human statue from California.
10-30-2014 04:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(10-30-2014 12:37 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  Should have keep Bower. 05-stirthepot

What would we have done when he retired??? He wasnt gonna coach forever.
10-30-2014 05:28 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(10-30-2014 12:37 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  Should have keep Bower. 05-stirthepot

I actually think that we've finally reached the break-even point on the Bower thing. Monken's batting .444 in his last 9 games... Bower would probably be performing similarly at this point. It's wild speculation, of course, but Bower would be dealing with most of the same issues as Monken. I mean nothing against Jeff Bower, who has my complete support in anything he chooses to do.
10-30-2014 05:59 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I've said that I think USM benefits from a sunshine-pumper at HC. He has to know football too. I trust Monken on the football thing, but less so on the sunshine pumping. It falls short of Tyndall / Fedora. It's more of a Eustachy / John Brady attitude that Monken has, and people are just so bummed out that it doesn't really help. I'm behind the dude and hope he does well and stays at SM.
10-30-2014 06:08 PM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

Of course, we shouldn't expect too much from Todd in the way of soothing rhetoric. After all, he's just the warm-up act for... Ladies and Gentlemen... art aficionados of all ages... the one and only "One Funny Guy"... the only thing tighter than his defense is his mismatched blazer... my personal lifelong friend... DOC SADDLER!!!!1!!
10-30-2014 06:14 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(10-30-2014 04:45 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(10-30-2014 09:34 AM)TTT Wrote:  I agree w/ USMSTUD, Monken isn't gonna feed you bullsh!t, he's gonna tell it like it is. The first thing he said about Cole Weeks is something to the effect of "Cole Weeks is well respected by everyone on the team, he's a unity-leader of this team.....God may not have blessed him w/ the abilities he needs to be 1st string QB" or something like that. That's not a knock on him....Monken is telling it like he is. Nothing to see here folks, just move on.....no, seriously....some folks are looking too much into Monken's comments. Beat UTEP or UTSA or whoever we are playing this weekend.

I talked with an OSU student about Monken after we hired him. His basic comment was "If you want PC speak, you've got the wrong guy. The two things Monken hates is not telling things like it is, and dealing with stupid questions from reporters".

That being said, I would have preferred if he had given Weeks a chance last season early instead of bringing in the human statue from California.

XACLY! The man is from Chicago.....and I like that type of guy as our hc....
10-30-2014 06:27 PM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
Monken inherited a big steaming bowl of crap. He has had some rookie coach learning to go through, but his team is showing progress and more importantly they play hard to the last snap. He will continue to make some mistakes during this upward learning curve of being a head coach, but I am beginning to believe he will get the job done in the face of some huge obstacles he has had put in front of him. USM football self-destructed by insane decisions made by the the leaders of the University. USM fans just have to hope Monken is the man to do the rebuilding job. It is a job that won't be easy and won't happen quickly.
10-30-2014 07:13 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
USM died the day USA decided to go big time. Now they are about to leave you in the dust. The state of Mississippi looks good now, but Alabama is about to out shine you all.
10-30-2014 07:50 PM
Monarch5765 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Monken us a hell of a lot better than that ass Ellis Johnson...program killer

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
10-30-2014 07:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Monarch5765 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
I'm so glad my do decomitted from SMU when Ellis Johnson was named Head Coach...hope ODU plays Southern Miss. Next year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
10-30-2014 08:03 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

(10-30-2014 07:50 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  USM died the day USA decided to go big time. Now they are about to leave you in the dust. The state of Mississippi looks good now, but Alabama is about to out shine you all.

03-lmfao
10-30-2014 08:08 PM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
(10-30-2014 07:50 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  USM died the day USA decided to go big time. Now they are about to leave you in the dust. The state of Mississippi looks good now, but Alabama is about to out shine you all.

With all due respect, you do remember who the one team that USM actually beat from the last two years. I know your team is greatly improved this year, but the fact is UAB was the one team to lose to an absolutely horrendous USM team in 2013. As for the other two teams in Mississippi, I hope they lose every damn game they play.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 08:15 PM by EagleRockCafe.)
10-30-2014 08:14 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(10-30-2014 07:50 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  USM died the day USA decided to go big time. Now they are about to leave you in the dust. The state of Mississippi looks good now, but Alabama is about to out shine you all.[Image: crack_pipe-1.jpg]
10-30-2014 09:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.