UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Birdsong: Longtime Blazers supporter announces launch of UAB Football Foundation
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Birdsong: Longtime Blazers supporter announces launch of UAB Football Foundation
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2014 12:56 PM by WesternBlazer.)
10-28-2014 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

RE: Birdsong: Longtime Blazers supporter announces launch of UAB Football Foundation
GN, brace yourself.
10-28-2014 12:59 PM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

RE: Birdsong: Longtime Blazers supporter announces launch of UAB Football Foundation
Post a comment! Let the good vibes continue!
10-28-2014 01:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
Now if we can get a Emanuel Byrd story.....
10-28-2014 01:21 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

That would be 1 week & 5 days into the future.
10-28-2014 01:30 PM
Cole Offline
2nd String

San Antonio, Texas (UTEP) . . . . uh, am I missing something?
10-28-2014 01:33 PM
Advertisement

bladhmadh Offline
All American

I talked to the athletic department 15 years ago about starting something similar and was told they would rather I didn't. Times have changed
10-28-2014 01:33 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(10-28-2014 01:33 PM)Cole Wrote:  San Antonio, Texas (UTEP) . . . . uh, am I missing something?

Nope. You caught it.
10-28-2014 01:38 PM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2014 01:33 PM)bladhmadh Wrote:  I talked to the athletic department 15 years ago about starting something similar and was told they would rather I didn't. Times have changed

Filler didn't ask them. He just did it.

The only thing that has changed recently is that we have a coach that we can rally around.
10-28-2014 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

When do they start the "Keep Coach Clark" foundation?
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2014 02:50 PM by BlazeN'Bham.)
10-28-2014 02:49 PM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2014 02:49 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  When do they start the "Keep Coach Clark" foundation?

How do we keep Coach Clark?

Give him what he wants in order to be successful.

What does Coach Clark want?

Better players

How do you get better players?

Get better facilities

How do you improve facilities?

Borrow the money which requires approval from the trustees

How else can you improve facilities (since the other way has failed)?

Raise the money up front in a foundation separate from the university (and the clutches of the BOT)

So, to answer your question, this is it.
10-28-2014 03:00 PM
Advertisement

bladhmadh Offline
All American

(10-28-2014 02:06 PM)the Dragon Wrote:  
(10-28-2014 01:33 PM)bladhmadh Wrote:  I talked to the athletic department 15 years ago about starting something similar and was told they would rather I didn't. Times have changed

The only thing that has changed recently is that we have a coach that we can rally around.

We have an athletic department that's more progressive instead of worrying about covering their ass
10-28-2014 03:01 PM
AnimeBlazer Away
Special Teams

This is good news.

But personally all I want to know is where to send the check and how much it'll cost me for my founder's seat in our OCS.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2014 03:10 PM by AnimeBlazer.)
10-28-2014 03:07 PM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2014 03:01 PM)bladhmadh Wrote:  

We have an athletic department that's more progressive instead of worrying about covering their ass

You think so?

Here is the pitfall of this foundation, and we have to be careful. By the way, I'm excited about this foundation, but here's the reason why the athletic department is likely not thrilled by it:

If people who have donated money to the Athletic Department for the scholarship fund decide to pull their money and put it in this foundation, then the Athletic department will be in trouble, and the trustees will strike when that happens. They will say, "UAB Athletics is too expensive and now your funds are dwindling, so let's cut football and focus on basketball."

Of course, we know that is the worst thing that can happen because our athletic program will suffer mightily if that happens, but that is what the opposition wants.

We had better be careful. Support the athletic department AND support the foundation. Both are vital.

I doubt seriously the athletic department is thrilled that donations are being collected that are out of their hands.

However, I am thrilled that some heavy hitters are willing to fight for what is best for UAB, and they don't have the trustees to answer to.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2014 03:10 PM by the Dragon.)
10-28-2014 03:08 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2014 03:08 PM)the Dragon Wrote:  
(10-28-2014 03:01 PM)bladhmadh Wrote:  

You think so?

Here is the pitfall of this foundation, and we have to be careful. By the way, I'm excited about this foundation, but here's the reason why the athletic department is likely not thrilled by it:

If people who have donated money to the Athletic Department for the scholarship fund decide to pull their money and put it in this foundation, then the Athletic department will be in trouble, and the trustees will strike when that happens. They will say, "UAB Athletics is too expensive and now your funds are dwindling, so let's cut football and focus on basketball."

Of course, we know that is the worst thing that can happen because our athletic program will suffer mightily if that happens, but that is what the opposition wants.

We had better be careful. Support the athletic department AND support the foundation. Both are vital.

I doubt seriously the athletic department is thrilled that donations are being collected that are out of their hands.

However, I am thrilled that some heavy hitters are willing to fight for what is best for UAB, and they don't have the trustees to answer to.

I haven't seen any indication that this group is going after the same donors that UAB athletics has. I suspect, those donors who were lined up for the stadium project are the major targets in this foundation. Those are not your and/or donors.
10-28-2014 03:13 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
That was my first thought...do people simply move their money from BlazerBoosters to this foundation? (I won't)
10-28-2014 03:13 PM
Advertisement

hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I don't think this foundation will be going after mine or any other "normal" fan's blazer booster donation. I think they're gonna be solely focused on the heavy hitters in Bham that either aren't currently boosters or ones who have enough money to donate tens of thousands annually to both the foundation and the athletic department.
10-28-2014 03:24 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I'd say that objective number one is going to be an indoor practice facility. Clark will use that both to improve our team and as a recruiting tool. Once things are moving in the right direction we start working on the OCS.

Walk before you run.

As to keeping Clark, getting him the tools he needs is a big first step.
10-28-2014 04:32 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I would think that many, especially the biggies (which this is targeting), will just put money in both places as they've been holding money aside just for this due to BOT problems. Might some of the little fish switch that can only afford to put it in one place, yes but the financial amts would be small so of little impact.
10-28-2014 04:39 PM
CourtsideBlazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BlazerBall !
La Tech is in Ruston, La (approximately halfway between Monro & Shreveport)....but we all knew that
10-28-2014 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.