Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Preseason Basketball Poll
Bookmark and Share
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Preseason Basketball Poll
EMU was picked to finish 3rd in the MAC West.

http://emueagles.com/news/2014/10/28/MBB...ath=mbball

Quote:2014-15 MAC East Division Predicted Order of Finish
1. Akron – 117 points (17 First Place)
2. Ohio – 92 (2)
3. Kent State – 66
4. Buffalo – 58
5. Bowling Green – 52 (1)
6. Miami – 35

2014-15 MAC West Division Predicted Order of Finish
1. Toledo – 118 points (18 First Place)
2. Western Michigan – 94 (1)
3. Eastern Michigan – 68
4. Northern Illinois – 63
5. Central Michigan – 49 (1)
6. Ball State – 28

Sounds about right to me. I think Toledo is the heavy favorite in the west, but I'm curious to see how WMU does without Whittington. Though they bring back pretty much everyone else, they relied on him heavily. And what genius picked CMU to win the division? Can we revoke his voting rights?

Karrington Ward was also picked to their "First Team MAC West".
10-28-2014 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
RE: Preseason Basketball Poll
yup. that ranking makes sense until we know what we have in the newcomers. the CMU and BGSU first place votes are confounding. maybe one of the voters knew he was getting fired that day, so he wanted to screw with the rankings a bit? nothing else makes sense.
10-28-2014 11:54 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Also, the West should be much stronger than the East this year. After Akron and Ohio, the East looks pretty weak.
10-28-2014 11:59 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(10-28-2014 11:47 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  EMU was picked to finish 3rd in the MAC West.

2. Ohio – 92 (2)
3. Kent State – 66
4. Buffalo – 58
6. Miami – 35

3. Eastern Michigan – 68
6. Ball State – 28

Sounds about right to me. I think Toledo is the heavy favorite in the west, but I'm curious to see how WMU does without Whittington. Though they bring back pretty much everyone else, they relied on him heavily. And what genius picked CMU to win the division? Can we revoke his voting rights?

And Toledo has a transfer newcomer who could be a top player, Dre Applewhite (elig. 2nd sememster):

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbm...M_ID=18000

They are loaded again this year. What a great job of building a team with h.s players + transfers (transfers are Dummond, Whitherspoon and Applewhite).

I think EMU and WMU fight for 2nd. NIU will be in there also.
10-28-2014 12:13 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2014 12:13 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(10-28-2014 11:47 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  EMU was picked to finish 3rd in the MAC West.

2. Ohio – 92 (2)
3. Kent State – 66
4. Buffalo – 58
6. Miami – 35

3. Eastern Michigan – 68
6. Ball State – 28

And Toledo has a transfer newcomer who could be a top player, Dre Applewhite (elig. 2nd sememster):

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbm...M_ID=18000

They are loaded again this year. What a great job of building a team with h.s players + transfers (transfers are Dummond, Whitherspoon and Applewhite).

I think EMU and WMU fight for 2nd. NIU will be in there also.

Losing Rian Pearson (another transfer) will hurt Toledo a little, but if Dre Applewhite is as advertised, they may not miss a beat. Juice and Drummond comprise the best back court in the conference. It's a shame they have another OOC schedule that isn't very strong. @VCU and @Duke are the only games of consequence, and both are likely losses. I would love to have an at-large contender in this conference, but it'll be quite a surprise if Toledo can do it this year.
10-28-2014 12:20 PM
Advertisement

KPJ Offline
1st String

Weren't we picked to finish 5th last year?
10-28-2014 12:49 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(10-28-2014 12:49 PM)KPJ Wrote:  Weren't we picked to finish 5th last year?

Posters here know more than the paid pundits.
10-28-2014 12:54 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Nope, we were picked to finish third, with a first place vote. They had NIU finishing last though, which was a bit off, I'd say.

http://www.hustlebelt.com/2013/10/29/504...ball-polls
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2014 12:57 PM by EagleSam.)
10-28-2014 12:55 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2014 12:54 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Love the Earl avatar!
10-28-2014 12:58 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(10-28-2014 12:58 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(10-28-2014 12:54 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Love the Earl avatar!

And an AP photo of Ward...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/.../18057881/
10-28-2014 02:10 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Fits in with my pre season pick, also note that in the points NIU is very close to EMU so they could exchange places.
10-30-2014 06:17 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(10-30-2014 06:17 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Fits in with my pre season pick, also note that in the points NIU is very close to EMU so they could exchange places.

I see, as do others, Toledo the class of the MAC West and then it is a mad dash for #2.

Whittington, as I believe another poster mentioned, will be missed greatly by WMU. Will WMU become like a donut - a hole in the middle.

According to Blue Ribbon Yearbook he came to WMU as a 6' 11" 207 lbs. player and developed into all-conference post player.

Much easier to find a Timmy Bond who can play early on then find another Whittington.

IF the kid Dieng develops it might be several years down the road. That is why I like graduate eligible transfer big men. Lace up the shoes and get out there and play. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 08:22 AM by emu steve.)
10-30-2014 08:17 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

WMU posters believe they will finish 18-19 wins this year, we have bodies in the middle but of unknown quality in my opinion. Dieng is not the only option they have (Dieng is out for a significant time with injury and likely redshirt). We could have gotten either Samuels/or Hunter and then Dieng for a redshirt year.

The big unknown is the extent of Lee's injury and how long will he be out?

While I believe both our frosh guards are talented I believe their inexperience may lead to increased turnovers and who knows if they can play defense?

Should be an interesting year, of course each MAC team has some interesting newcomers and transfers and while scrimmages are fun and great for PR I can't wait to see how things shake out this season , hopefully better than I expect.
10-31-2014 07:25 AM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

A WMU poster posted this on MAC West transfers (he didn't do the MAC East yet):

Guys that are eligible this year...

Dre Applewhite - Toledo -6'5" forward who started for Mississippi St (yes, the one in the SEC) last year. He is eligible once the second semester starts. 2 years of eligibility left after this season.

Anthony Johnson - NIU -6'3" guard who started 6 games for Purdue two years ago. He is eligible this season only. Played 19 minutes and scored 5 points against WMU 3 years ago when we had the ridiculous non conference schedule and played at Purdue immediately following the tournament in Puerto Rico.

Jeremiah Davis - Ball St -6'4" guard who arrives at Muncie with two years of eligibility left starting this year. Played at Cincinnati and was a regular in the rotation. Played 6 games for them last year and transferred out. From Muncie originally.

Jerome Hunter - EMU -6'9" forward who transferred in from Alabama A&M. Played 3 years and had a redshirt year there. One year remaining eligibility.

Jordan Price - EMU - 6'7" guard/forward who played one year at DePaul, sat out last year and now has 3 years eligibility at EMU. Get used to his name. His credentials are solid and I have a feeling he's going to be very good for EMU. Played at Detroit Country Day and was ranked as a top 25 3 point shooter coming out of high school as well as a top 200 ranking overall if I remember correctly.

Anali Okoloji - EMU -6'8" forward with one year of eligibility left as a grad student. Originally started his collegiate career at Seton Hall his frosh year, then transferred to George Mason and spent two years eligibility there along with a RS year. He came off the bench for the GM team we lost to in the CBI tournament 18 months ago. Played 12 minutes and scored 4 points for them against us.

Mike Samuals - EMU -6'11" Center who transferred in from Indiana St. Sat out two years there because of injuries. Played two years previously at a juco. Apparently has 2 years eligibility left although I am not completely clear on the NCAA ruling on this young man. EMU fans? He's automatically eligible for a 6th year?

Michael Orris - NIU -6'2" guard who originally signed and played one season at Kansas St. Played sparingly his frosh year by only appearing in 15 games. If you are keeping tabs at home, NIU's back court got really crowded. Highsmith, Armstead, Orris, Johnson and Baker will all see heavy minutes IMO this year. NIU will be sporting some 3 guard lineups with Armstead and/or Johnson playing the SF spot.

I believe that concludes the MAC West. If I missed anyone, let me know. I'll post the East another time.

Cue Dip talking about EMU's love fest with transfers.
10-31-2014 07:29 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2014 07:25 AM)emu79 Wrote:  WMU posters believe they will finish 18-19 wins this year, we have bodies in the middle but of unknown quality in my opinion. Dieng is not the only option they have (Dieng is out for a significant time with injury and likely redshirt). We could have gotten either Samuels/or Hunter and then Dieng for a redshirt year.

While I believe both our frosh guards are talented I believe their inexperience may lead to increased turnovers and who knows if they can play defense?

Should be an interesting year, of course each MAC team has some interesting newcomers and transfers and while scrimmages are fun and great for PR I can't wait to see how things shake out this season , hopefully better than I expect.

If they can't play defense, they won't play very much. I think Murphy has proved that to be the case during his tenure here. Defense trumps all. I don't see them getting huge minutes, unless Bond is just too good to keep on the bench (which might actually be the case). Merely thinking they're gonna turn the ball over a lot simply because they are freshmen is a bit short-sighted.

I don't think Lee's injury is too serious, as he hasn't mentioned anything on Twitter, nor have any of his teammates. Probably just precautionary...don't want to risk making it worse in a meaningless scrimmage.

We couldn't have gotten Dieng, as WMU offered him and he committed there. It's about the same as saying we could've got any player we've offered, but recruiting doesn't work that way.
10-31-2014 07:35 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2014 07:29 AM)emu79 Wrote:  A WMU poster posted this on MAC West transfers (he didn't do the MAC East yet):

Saw that. Funny thing is that chip dip guy, who has a complete hard-on for all things Thomas Rawls and EMU transfers, claims we only get academic losers and malcontents, when three of the four are graduate transfers. As in, they have college degrees. I couldn't help but chuckle at that statement.
10-31-2014 07:39 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(10-31-2014 07:39 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(10-31-2014 07:29 AM)emu79 Wrote:  A WMU poster posted this on MAC West transfers (he didn't do the MAC East yet):

Saw that. Funny thing is that chip dip guy, who has a complete hard-on for all things Thomas Rawls and EMU transfers, claims we only get academic losers and malcontents, when three of the four are graduate transfers. As in, they have college degrees. I couldn't help but chuckle at that statement.

Yeah, especially as he is teacher, I believe, so he should like our college graduates. Probably not, though. 05-stirthepot
10-31-2014 08:44 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(10-31-2014 07:35 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(10-31-2014 07:25 AM)emu79 Wrote:  WMU posters believe they will finish 18-19 wins this year, we have bodies in the middle but of unknown quality in my opinion. Dieng is not the only option they have (Dieng is out for a significant time with injury and likely redshirt). We could have gotten either Samuels/or Hunter and then Dieng for a redshirt year.

If they can't play defense, they won't play very much. I think Murphy has proved that to be the case during his tenure here. Defense trumps all. I don't see them getting huge minutes, unless Bond is just too good to keep on the bench (which might actually be the case). Merely thinking they're gonna turn the ball over a lot simply because they are freshmen is a bit short-sighted.

I don't think Lee's injury is too serious, as he hasn't mentioned anything on Twitter, nor have any of his teammates. Probably just precautionary...don't want to risk making it worse in a meaningless scrimmage.

We couldn't have gotten Dieng, as WMU offered him and he committed there. It's about the same as saying we could've got any player we've offered, but recruiting doesn't work that way.

Sam is right on Dieng. He is a Nigerian and resided with an American family in Grand Rapids.

I had read that he wanted to play at a university close to Grand Rapids (because of his family). I believe WMU is 50 miles from GR and has played games in GR in the past.

The school whose fans should be upset would be CMU. CMU is what about 90 miles from GR. EMU is closer to 150, I think.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2014 08:51 AM by emu steve.)
10-31-2014 08:50 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-31-2014 07:39 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  

You'd have to know the guy he rants all the time about CMU and EMU and has for years, apparently got into trouble for emailing a potential WMU recruit a few years back-I think he may have booster status.
10-31-2014 01:15 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-31-2014 07:35 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  

We did offer Dieng and you're right he choose WMU over us.
10-31-2014 01:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.