10-26-2014 01:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Photodan Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: UMass falls to Toledo on late TD
"Whipple said he instructed his defense to allow Toledo to score" ... the winning touchdown.

Can you imagine ever saying that to your defense? How demoralizing.
10-26-2014 10:48 PM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Didn't we do the exact same thing during one of the recent shoot out games with NIU so that we could get the ball one last time?
10-27-2014 05:20 AM
BigBigRocketFan Offline
Special Teams

The only difference: UT's game-winning touchdown came after the defense called a time out to conserve time.

Maybe I should let this go :)
10-27-2014 05:35 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(10-27-2014 05:35 AM)BigBigRocketFan Wrote:  The only difference: UT's game-winning touchdown came after the defense called a time out to conserve time.

Maybe I should let this go :)

No, keep it alive, please.
10-27-2014 06:47 AM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Well it was more that the coach didnt believe jd would miss a chipshot as time expired. 40some seconds left toledo is going to run the ball and kick a chipshot. The coach had a lot if faith in the offense to score in a short period of time... They got close but someone ran the wrong route.
10-27-2014 10:07 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-27-2014 10:07 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Well it was more that the coach didnt believe jd would miss a chipshot as time expired. 40some seconds left toledo is going to run the ball and kick a chipshot. The coach had a lot if faith in the offense to score in a short period of time... They got close but someone ran the wrong route.

I think UMass made the right call on giving up the score. I think that UMass's chances of scoring a TD with 34 seconds left with two time outs was a little better than JD missing a chip shot with no time left on the clock. Whether you lose by 7 or lose by 3 doesn't really matter.
10-27-2014 11:40 AM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(10-27-2014 11:40 AM)T-Town Wrote:  
(10-27-2014 10:07 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Well it was more that the coach didnt believe jd would miss a chipshot as time expired. 40some seconds left toledo is going to run the ball and kick a chipshot. The coach had a lot if faith in the offense to score in a short period of time... They got close but someone ran the wrong route.

I think UMass made the right call on giving up the score. I think that UMass's chances of scoring a TD with 34 seconds left with two time outs was a little better than JD missing a chip shot with no time left on the clock. Whether you lose by 7 or lose by 3 doesn't really matter.

The decision by the Umass HC just underscores how he felt of UT's pass defense. In any other game, I would think there is a greater percentage chance of missing a FG than trying to score a TD in 34 seconds.
10-27-2014 02:13 PM
B4b Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Toledo; Akron
(10-26-2014 10:48 PM)Photodan Wrote:  "Whipple said he instructed his defense to allow Toledo to score" ... the winning touchdown.

Can you imagine ever saying that to your defense? How demoralizing.

It happened in the Super Bowl some time back. I think it was a Packers-Broncos game, although I could be mistaken. I do remember that one team allowed an uncontested short TD run with about a minute left in order to get the ball back and have one last possession rather than let the other team kick a 17 yard field goal (for all practical purposes, an extra point) with time expiring. The strategy didn't work then either. You have to be desperate to try it, but sometimes you find yourself in a desperate situation.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 06:00 PM by B4b.)
10-27-2014 05:54 PM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

At the game I thought our back should have stopped at the one. Our coaches did not prepare him for that. So it did not happen. But our coaches apparently had faith in the D. No one else in the stadium did

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
10-27-2014 06:21 PM
lovedagame Offline
Water Engineer

(10-27-2014 06:21 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  At the game I thought our back should have stopped at the one. Our coaches did not prepare him for that. So it did not happen. But our coaches apparently had faith in the D. No one else in the stadium did

Those who think Matt Campbell is doing such a bad job can feel free to call Brady Hoke. The criticism of our coach, justifiable or not, is way too harsh when you put his whole body of work against most coaches.
10-27-2014 07:26 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-27-2014 07:26 PM)lovedagame Wrote:  
(10-27-2014 06:21 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  At the game I thought our back should have stopped at the one. Our coaches did not prepare him for that. So it did not happen. But our coaches apparently had faith in the D. No one else in the stadium did

Those who think Matt Campbell is doing such a bad job can feel free to call Brady Hoke. The criticism of our coach, justifiable or not, is way too harsh when you put his whole body of work against most coaches.

I don't think "most" coaches matter to most of us. MAC coaches matter. It's fair criticism when recruiting rankings and salary are balanced against results. Could be worse, his name could be "Solich."
10-27-2014 08:03 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-27-2014 02:13 PM)BDV27 Wrote:  The decision by the Umass HC just underscores how he felt of UT's pass defense. In any other game, I would think there is a greater percentage chance of missing a FG than trying to score a TD in 34 seconds.

Agreed. The fact his QB already had around 400 yards passing at that point and the last UMass TD was a 1 play drive for 76 yards that only took 13 seconds had to be a major consideration in his decision, but how he felt about our kicker probably also factored into his decision.

It was a long shot at best but it was still probably a better choice than hoping for JD to mess up on a chip shot. Now if UT had the UMass kicker instead of JD, he may have taken his chances with the kick.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 09:19 PM by T-Town.)
10-27-2014 09:18 PM
Advertisement

Photodan Offline
All American

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(10-27-2014 02:13 PM)BDV27 Wrote:  The decision by the Umass HC just underscores how he felt of UT's pass defense.

More than that, I think it showed how much confidence he has in his QB and receivers. These guys have been able to pass like crazy on just about everybody.

This was not a fair game to judge the progress of our defensive backs.
10-27-2014 11:14 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
(10-27-2014 11:14 PM)Photodan Wrote:  
(10-27-2014 02:13 PM)BDV27 Wrote:  The decision by the Umass HC just underscores how he felt of UT's pass defense.

More than that, I think it showed how much confidence he has in his QB and receivers. These guys have been able to pass like crazy on just about everybody.

This was not a fair game to judge the progress of our defensive backs.

I disagree but I do understand if you're referring to the 6-7 TE that no one could cover. That kid will be playing on Sundays in the future
10-27-2014 11:20 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
They had 3 unbelievable catches closely guarded, two for TD's. I asked the video guy of UMass if they were an uptempo team before the game. He said not at all, they get most of their offense on 3rd and long, and tricky plays with their offense that barely repeats formations. Not only is 3rd down our bugaboo, it's what UMASS does best.

Can we hold Kent under 14 is my question? This is a team that hasn't been productive thus far. Toledo needs to make this next one a confidence booster at Kent State. 48-10 would be sufficient to me. Really any win would...but hey. I'm a glass half full kind of guy 04-cheers
10-28-2014 12:11 AM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(10-28-2014 12:11 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  They had 3 unbelievable catches closely guarded, two for TD's. I asked the video guy of UMass if they were an uptempo team before the game. He said not at all, they get most of their offense on 3rd and long, and tricky plays with their offense that barely repeats formations. Not only is 3rd down our bugaboo, it's what UMASS does best.

Can we hold Kent under 14 is my question? This is a team that hasn't been productive thus far. Toledo needs to make this next one a confidence booster at Kent State. 48-10 would be sufficient to me. Really any win would...but hey. I'm a glass half full kind of guy 04-cheers

Would love to finally see us finally win a game going away and allow Julian a chance to see the field. You never know what you have until you see the field in a real game.
10-28-2014 10:30 AM
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Agree. I want to play a game where we put our foot on the gas and keep going. Really steamroll someone so like you said we can get Julian some minutes. Tired of coming up with excuses why that particular week we got a teams best, this and that. Just play Rocket football and finally put together a complete game. I think that is where all the negativity is coming from, including myself. Glad we're 4-0 in the MAC, but nothing we've seen so far leads me to believe we're going to run the table the rest of he season and come out smoking in a bowl game. Somehow we'll figure out a way to make it interesting like EMU from two years ago when we made them look like Hershel Walker and Bo Jackson suited up for them. Or like Akron from last year where we just wilted.
10-28-2014 10:50 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(10-28-2014 10:50 AM)emanoh Wrote:  Agree. I want to play a game where we put our foot on the gas and keep going. Really steamroll someone so like you said we can get Julian some minutes. Tired of coming up with excuses why that particular week we got a teams best, this and that. Just play Rocket football and finally put together a complete game. I think that is where all the negativity is coming from, including myself. Glad we're 4-0 in the MAC, but nothing we've seen so far leads me to believe we're going to run the table the rest of he season and come out smoking in a bowl game. Somehow we'll figure out a way to make it interesting like EMU from two years ago when we made them look like Hershel Walker and Bo Jackson suited up for them. Or like Akron from last year where we just wilted.

I agree with this. In our last 3 games, we won because WMU missed an XP in OT (the way that game was going back & forth, if they make the kick we may still have been playing), lost the lead and game at Iowa State, and then won when UMass let us score a TD with less than 60 seconds left on the clock (yes--Detmer most likely could have made that FG blindfolded--but strange things can happen, ala WMU's missed XP). I'll feel a lot more confident if we beat Kent by at least 2 TDs.
10-28-2014 12:24 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(10-28-2014 10:50 AM)emanoh Wrote:  Agree. I want to play a game where we put our foot on the gas and keep going. Really steamroll someone so like you said we can get Julian some minutes. Tired of coming up with excuses why that particular week we got a teams best, this and that. Just play Rocket football and finally put together a complete game. I think that is where all the negativity is coming from, including myself. Glad we're 4-0 in the MAC, but nothing we've seen so far leads me to believe we're going to run the table the rest of he season and come out smoking in a bowl game. Somehow we'll figure out a way to make it interesting like EMU from two years ago when we made them look like Hershel Walker and Bo Jackson suited up for them. Or like Akron from last year where we just wilted.

Remember, Toledo gets everybody's best in the MAC. Toledo is the measuring stick for the other programs. A win over Toledo makes everybody's season.
10-28-2014 06:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.