Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Former BCS Busters now having success
Bookmark and Share
elhombre14 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Exclamation Former BCS Busters now having success
Just thought it was cool to see Utah and TCU having so much success this year.

A pipe dream of mine is for NIU to somehow replicate their path
10-26-2014 07:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
RE: Former BCS Busters now having success
(10-26-2014 07:34 AM)elhombre14 Wrote:  Just thought it was cool to see Utah and TCU having so much success this year.

I used to have that dream too.

Looking at the fan support and stadiums of Utah and TCU makes me realize it's just a pipe dream.
10-26-2014 08:11 AM
chazb2 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(10-26-2014 08:11 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  
(10-26-2014 07:34 AM)elhombre14 Wrote:  Just thought it was cool to see Utah and TCU having so much success this year.

I used to have that dream too.

Looking at the fan support and stadiums of Utah and TCU makes me realize it's just a pipe dream.

It will always be a pipe dream. Even with the recent success we still struggle to get 18,000 into what amounts to a glorified high school stadium.
10-26-2014 11:36 AM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

If you look at Boise State, TCU, and Utah, there are some major differences in fan culture (and state sports) that NIU will never ever be able to replicate.
10-26-2014 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieFanatic Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU, MACtion
When a Saturday home game in mid-October only draws 11K, the answer is its still a pipe dream... NIU simply cannot repeat the successes of TCU, Utah, or Boise St.
10-26-2014 11:45 AM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

(10-26-2014 11:39 AM)niuguy Wrote:  If you look at Boise State, TCU, and Utah, there are some major differences in fan culture (and state sports) that NIU will never ever be able to replicate.

Exactly. A lot of it is culture. Boise and Utahs nearest pro teams are hours away. They are in cities far larger than Dekalb. I think the only possibility for NIU is with HIGHLY aggressive marketing (outside professional firm) and the hope that the Bears, NW, Iowa and U of I all have multiple down years. Aka pipe dream.
10-26-2014 11:55 AM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(10-26-2014 11:55 AM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  
(10-26-2014 11:39 AM)niuguy Wrote:  If you look at Boise State, TCU, and Utah, there are some major differences in fan culture (and state sports) that NIU will never ever be able to replicate.

Exactly. A lot of it is culture. Boise and Utahs nearest pro teams are hours away. They are in cities far larger than Dekalb. I think the only possibility for NIU is with HIGHLY aggressive marketing (outside professional firm) and the hope that the Bears, NW, Iowa and U of I all have multiple down years. Aka pipe dream.

If Dekalb/Sycamore saw some more expansion it would help a ton, they need more industry to move in to the 88 Corporate Park to bring the peeps.
10-26-2014 12:04 PM
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU

This ^... our competitive environment is very challenging from getting the butts in the seats..but let's not write off hope yet... improved home scheduling will be helpful... it's unfair, to some degree beyond the diehards, to expect a Chicagoland fan base to get excited about Kent State / Miami OH / CMU back to back to back..

MAC screwed us this year too from that back to back to back
10-26-2014 12:21 PM
Enaiu Offline
1st String

(10-26-2014 12:21 PM)jjprender Wrote:  

This ^... our competitive environment is very challenging from getting the butts in the seats..but let's not write off hope yet... improved home scheduling will be helpful... it's unfair, to some degree beyond the diehards, to expect a Chicagoland fan base to get excited about Kent State / Miami OH / CMU back to back to back..

MAC screwed us this year too from that back to back to back

me thinks it's intentional sabotage 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 12:56 PM by Enaiu.)
10-26-2014 12:56 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:A pipe dream of mine is for NIU to somehow replicate their path

FANS. That's it. That's all it takes. The only way beyond that is to have a Good FB team (like NIU has had) -- but a stellar Bball team that any conference would want to join (and have fans there).

When 20k is "stellar" for an attendance -- the B1G or B12 ain't taking ya. Never will -- even when conferences reach out to expand to 16. MAC teams have to expand their fan-base if they want more conference attention and/or for some to jump ship.
10-26-2014 01:38 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-26-2014 01:38 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  

FANS. That's it. That's all it takes. The only way beyond that is to have a Good FB team (like NIU has had) -- but a stellar Bball team that any conference would want to join (and have fans there).

When 20k is "stellar" for an attendance -- the B1G or B12 ain't taking ya. Never will -- even when conferences reach out to expand to 16. MAC teams have to expand their fan-base if they want more conference attention and/or for some to jump ship.

I seldom use words like "never". NIU has some strengths that could be leveraged to improve attendance and make us a viable candidate at some point for the Big 12. We are not there yet but with 200,000 alums mostly in the Chicago area, our improved schedule and inspired leadership we might get there someday. Meanwhile we can keep the program at a high level, compete for MAC championships most seasons and enjoy the ride. This is supposed to be fun and there is a NFL caliber talent in our conference that we are blessed to see in our stadium each year.
10-26-2014 02:20 PM
Advertisement

Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

(10-26-2014 02:20 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  

I seldom use words like "never". NIU has some strengths that could be leveraged to improve attendance and make us a viable candidate at some point for the Big 12. We are not there yet but with 200,000 alums mostly in the Chicago area, our improved schedule and inspired leadership we might get there someday. Meanwhile we can keep the program at a high level, compete for MAC championships most seasons and enjoy the ride. This is supposed to be fun and there is a NFL caliber talent in our conference that we are blessed to see in our stadium each year.
What strengths would make NIU a viable candidate to the Big 12 at some point?

Again, the Big12 does not have s conference network, so being close to Chicago means little. It is good to have goals, but the Big 12 would fold rather than take NIU. The P5 conferences are not going to add more schools to their club.
10-26-2014 03:06 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:NIU has some strengths that could be leveraged to improve attendance and make us a viable candidate at some point for the Big 12.

If you get the attendance UP closer to the 40s and not the 20s, yes, of course. That's "all" any team needs. It's not about how good you are -- it's about how many fans you'll Consistently have on an average day (which usually requires you to be consistently good or have a big name). If you're borderline on fans or on the lower end of acceptability (20-25k is NOT acceptable, even for icky weather) -- then how good you are plays a role.

But even if a MAC team's going to the MACC 2 out of 3 years, and even going 2-1 every year against P5 opponents, they're going NOWHERE if they "bump" up attendance on a REGULAR home game from 18k->25k.

IMO, a MAC team would need 35k on a DRAB day AND consistently win, to start even thinking about being picked up by a P5.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 03:09 PM by toddjnsn.)
10-26-2014 03:07 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
This bigger conference talk makes me laugh. Look at who and what we are. In addition to draw power, look at our athletic budget. Look at the records of the other NIU teams. If you were a bigger conference commissioner, would you be beating a path to the phone to call us?
10-26-2014 04:01 PM
pjfleck82 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, XFL 2001
(10-26-2014 11:45 AM)HuskieFanatic Wrote:  When a Saturday home game in mid-October only draws 11K, the answer is its still a pipe dream... NIU simply cannot repeat the successes of TCU, Utah, or Boise St.

+1
I can understand a poor crowd vs the Blue Hoes on a Thursday, but to only have 11K for a Saturday with decent weather is a shame. But I guess it could be worse, NIU could be Hawaii, they had about 10K for Homecoming yesterday.
10-26-2014 08:57 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
(10-26-2014 03:06 PM)Big 12 fan too Wrote:  

Again, the Big12 does not have s conference network, so being close to Chicago means little. It is good to have goals, but the Big 12 would fold rather than take NIU. The P5 conferences are not going to add more schools to their club.

That is the strength. NIU is in a goldmine for conferences and TV networks. Big 12 will want a network. Cable companies can charge the millions of households in the Chicago area for a new network. Doesn't matter if they actually watch it. That part only matters for advertisers which would never be lacking anyways.

Business of college sports trumps all other logic.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 09:16 PM by HuskieRak.)
10-26-2014 09:15 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
NIU's move up to a bigger conference is a big big dillema. The support and money has the potential to flow, it really does. NIU has the potential to be a bigger program. Just look at the Northwestern game, NIU traveled as well or better than any team in the Big 10 to Evanston. The whole problem for NIU in this discussion is that this growth would only occur simultaneously and after a move to a conference like the Big 12 and not before. Its a question if this growth potential can be realized by those who decide such things to include NIU, because I have no doubt if given say a Big 12 membership, NIU would be a respectable member.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 09:20 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
10-26-2014 09:20 PM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

(10-26-2014 09:15 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  

That is the strength. NIU is in a goldmine for conferences and TV networks. Big 12 will want a network. Cable companies can charge the millions of households in the Chicago area for a new network. Doesn't matter if they actually watch it. That part only matters for advertisers which would never be lacking anyways.

The Big 12 does not have s conference network- that is what trumps all. Without one, NIU offers the Big 12 nothing. If there comes a time when Texas and OU want to give up their Tier 3 rights to a conference network, the Big 12 will cease to exist.

NIU's only chance at P5 is the SEC, as they not only have the needed revenue mechanism but the power to welfare NIU to the P5 level. The BIG taking 4 NC and VA schools from the ACC really the only move that could make things unfold in a manner that NIU has a chance at getting even a look from a P5 in the next 10 years.
10-26-2014 11:50 PM
COHUSKIE Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU/ColoState

Why is it a pipe dream? It just takes commitment, drive and not being afraid to make the tough decisions. As well as getting the naysayers out.
10-27-2014 07:01 AM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
(10-26-2014 11:50 PM)Big 12 fan too Wrote:  
(10-26-2014 09:15 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  
(10-26-2014 01:38 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  FANS. That's it. That's all it takes. The only way beyond that is to have a Good FB team (like NIU has had) -- but a stellar Bball team that any conference would want to join (and have fans there).

The Big 12 does not have s conference network- that is what trumps all. Without one, NIU offers the Big 12 nothing. If there comes a time when Texas and OU want to give up their Tier 3 rights to a conference network, the Big 12 will cease to exist.

NIU's only chance at P5 is the SEC, as they not only have the needed revenue mechanism but the power to welfare NIU to the P5 level. The BIG taking 4 NC and VA schools from the ACC really the only move that could make things unfold in a manner that NIU has a chance at getting even a look from a P5 in the next 10 years.

Yes I know that big 12 doesn't have a network. In order for that conference to survive, they're going to need to create a network and expand. That's where NIU comes in due to the market they're in.

The conference imploded because everyone was sick of Texas' power. Let them have their own network. OU has a pretty good tv deal too. But in the interest of the other 8 teams in that conference, they NEED a network and they need a conference championship game. Each school is losing out on millions a year. And not having championship game is going to be a big problem when b12 teams aren't making the playoffs
10-27-2014 07:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.