Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNT post game thread
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
UNT post game thread
Here are some things I liked:

1. Giving Brandon Hamilton some tries when the inside running game was ineffective

2. Even though it didn't succeed, going for it on 4th down late in 2nd quarter. and running on 3rd down. We messed this up in strategy against ODU. today we had the right plan but lacked in execution.

3. Driphus in the pocket

Here is what I didn't like

1. Allowing a KO return for TD. We looked pretty clueless, like we expect a touchback.

2. The numerous timeouts after elongated meerkats.

3. dropped passes

4 lack of WR separation on plays where DJ had plenty of time.
10-25-2014 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: UNT post game thread
I agree with all those.

Would add the defenive line play as a positive.
10-25-2014 04:46 PM
greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Great to see Hamilton get meaningful reps.
Driphus had great protection today. Our run blocking had a down day, but Driohus had plenty of time and it showed.

The kick off return was surreal. Like watching a train wreck in slo-mo. Obviously we need Hairston to put in into the end zone. Or at least eliminate the line drive.
For a team that advertised in the pre-season that we were going to be more up temp we seemed to have abandoned that approach. Mostly.
I thought we had fewer drops today (?). Just my initial impression.

The biggest positive for me in today's game was the second half adjustments. Whether it was coaching or just player determination, we really came out and did what we needed to do in the second half.
10-25-2014 04:54 PM
Philoso-Owl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice, UCSD
(10-25-2014 04:54 PM)greyowl72 Wrote:  The biggest positive for me in today's game was the second half adjustments. Whether it was coaching or just player determination, we really came out and did what we needed to do in the second half.

This (and similarly improved second half against Hawaii) is a big deal for us.
10-25-2014 05:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

Just glanced at stats. One really stands out.
Going into fourth Q, we are up by 3. In the fourth, we score 17. And keep the ball for 12.5 minutes.
10-25-2014 05:11 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(10-25-2014 04:54 PM)greyowl72 Wrote:  The biggest positive for me in today's game was the second half adjustments. Whether it was coaching or just player determination, we really came out and did what we needed to do in the second half.

On defense I would agree with you; we really stiffened up in the Second Half, with the front 7 dominating. However, save for the last, game-clinching, time-consuming drive (when the Mean Green defenders were either worn down or had given up), the offense was stymied throughout the 2nd half. Once again, the offense could do nothing in the 3Q-- we had consecutive 3 and outs, with the scoring coming from a fumble recovery and pick-6.

Worst running game we've had all season (save for the Notre Dame game)-- we were averaging just 3.3 yards/rush until that last drive. And I continue not to understand why our OCs refuse to include our TE in our offensive game-calling. They have been used almost exclusively as blockers all season long. You'd think we'd mix it up every once in a while, no?

Another awful start at home against a very weak opponent-- for the third consecutive home game this season. On the positive side, our third consecutive game without a turnover-- today winning the turnover battle was really the only difference between winning and losing.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2014 05:19 PM by waltgreenberg.)
10-25-2014 05:16 PM
Advertisement

Vegas Owl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Rice Owls

New Orleans BowlDonators
(10-25-2014 05:16 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

On defense I would agree with you; we really stiffened up in the Second Half, with the front 7 dominating. However, save for the last, game-clinching, time-consuming drive (when the Mean Green defenders were either worn down or had given up), the offense was stymied throughout the 2nd half. Once again, the offense could do nothing in the 3Q-- we had consecutive 3 and outs, with the scoring coming from a fumble recovery and pick-6.

Worst running game we've had all season (save for the Notre Dame game)-- we were averaging just 3.3 yards/rush until that last drive. And I continue not to understand why our OCs refuse to include our TE in our offensive game-calling. They have been used almost exclusively as blockers all season long. You'd think we'd mix it up every once in a while, no?

+1
10-25-2014 05:18 PM
Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
"However, save for the last, game-clinching, time-consuming drive (when the Mean Green defenders were either worn down or had given up), the offense was stymied throughout the 2nd half."

Walt:

Just out of curiousity, are you talking about today's Rice-North Texas game? You know, the game where we had three eleven play scoring drives in the second half?
10-25-2014 05:21 PM
owlatheart Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice's honor
(10-25-2014 05:21 PM)Houston Owl Wrote:  "However, save for the last, game-clinching, time-consuming drive (when the Mean Green defenders were either worn down or had given up), the offense was stymied throughout the 2nd half."

Walt:

Just out of curiousity, are you talking about today's Rice-North Texas game? You know, the game where we had three eleven play scoring drives in the second half?

27 straight points is NOT my definition of stymied. Sorry
10-25-2014 06:35 PM
owl40 Offline
1st String

A variety of things for this specific game will put on separate post but what I like is the macro trend of how team plays in 2H. Last four games...

Rice 27
UNT 0

Rice 17
Army 7

Rice 21
Hawaii 0

Rice 21
USM 13

Total
Rice 86
Opponent 20

Something for those who say team does not make halftime adjustments or come out ready to play in 2H. Great trend..
10-25-2014 06:48 PM
owlatheart Offline
All American

We gained roughly 3/4 of our yards offensively in the second half
10-25-2014 06:58 PM
Advertisement

owl40 Offline
1st String

In addition to things mentioned...

Pros
- Except Mayden, liked getting all WR's involved.
- Run D very strong; good LB play. Having Covington back is huge.
- Farrimond was like 110 in FBS in net punting before today. Had great day today to reverse that trend.
- Edmonson called a good game; execution not great at all times but play calls were solid; like vertical stretch.
- Tackling so much better than prior years
- Team just does not turnover the ball
- Team much more ready for 11 AM kick vs. ODU given heat, lack of people in stands, etc.
- Decell. Former punter with a big catch.

Cons
- Davis seems to have regressed a bit. Not same running intensity as earlier in season. Wonder if he is nursing an injury?
- TE's still invisible
- OL not a great game; lots of yards and plays by skilled position guys making plays vs. wide open holes
- DJ still favoring shoulder; obvious on runs to his right (where left shoulder is exposed).
- NT had lots of open receivers; a good QB will find them. Safety play still suspect. Same level of play today gets exposed badly against Marshall QB
- Plenty of drops. Love Taylor and look forward to seeing him on Sunday but he has ~ 6 drops this season. Not what you expect from someone of that caliber.
- Student turn-out
10-25-2014 07:03 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2014 06:58 PM)owlatheart Wrote:  We gained roughly 3/4 of our yards offensively in the second half

I was shocked when they showed the stats at the half and we had just over 200 yds, with almost 90 of those on the first play.
10-25-2014 07:35 PM
owlatheart Offline
All American

(10-25-2014 07:35 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(10-25-2014 06:58 PM)owlatheart Wrote:  We gained roughly 3/4 of our yards offensively in the second half

I was shocked when they showed the stats at the half and we had just over 200 yds, with almost 90 of those on the first play.

my bad, I miscalculated................about 60%
10-25-2014 07:57 PM
Lumberjack99 Offline
Bench Warmer

Pros
Victory - we won; will take it anytime
Second half play by defense
Ryan Pollard pick - played it aggressively
Kicking game
JT big game

Cons
Sun & Heat - had missed the last couple of home games.
Offense - looks confused at times. You would think that after gaining 88 yards on first play we would be in for a 300 yard passing game. We had 134 going into the fourth.
Offense - continue to call unnecessary timeouts. DJ is lost on certain play calls. Receivers and DJ not on the same page; DJ and running backs not on the same page.
Offense - play calling. Got that we scored 41 but honestly the opponent was not good. the middle was open all day. However we kept running up the middle.
Defense - safeties continue to get burn Finn and White. FIU is passing team. we can get exposed back there.
Folks sitting behind me - were upset with play calling; kept saying that we needed new coaches.
Firehouse sub - was warm and not tasty
10-25-2014 08:03 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I appreciate revenging one of our 2013 losses. We couldn't get that done against A&M earlier in the year. Hopefully we'll have a chance to avenge the Mississippi State loss in the bowl season ('you mean that's a chance?')

I believe (??) we're now tied for the highest 3-season win total in Rice history with 21 victories and counting from 2012-2014. We're also probably 2-3 wins away from making three consecutive bowl games for the first time ever. I'll have to wander over to the CUSA board to see how the conference postseason picture is looking but there appears to be a decent chance we won't be able to field more than 5-6 conference teams tops who will be bowl eligible.
10-26-2014 07:31 AM
Advertisement

Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
(10-25-2014 07:03 PM)owl40 Wrote:  Cons
- Student turn-out

I got a picture of the tiny group of students packed into the front rows, and then I looked over my shoulder - far more in the shade.

I also got pictures of the people in the west stands who were following the shadows of the tent-thing as the shaded area moved with the sun.

I wouldn't have had a problem with sitting in the shade myself, except that that's not a location for the role I've chosen.
Not going to fault others for having common sense.

My halftime usually starts on the west sideline, but yesterday we all started from the east side.
That small group of students closest to the opposing team's bench is fierce and creative in their taunting.
The creative aspect includes finding a way to taunt without using common vulgarities that would incur ejection from the stadium.
My hat is off to them.
04-bow
10-26-2014 07:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Forgot that I saw this earlier in the week. 02-13-banana
Quote:Rice Owls Examiner ‏@RiceExaminer Oct 22
Fun Fact Alert! If Rice football beats UNT on Saturday, it will be the first time since 1960 that Rice went undefeated in October.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 09:45 AM by dragon2owl.)
10-26-2014 09:45 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-26-2014 09:45 AM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Forgot that I saw this earlier in the week. 02-13-banana
Fun Fact Alert! If Rice football beats UNT on Saturday, it will be the first time since 1960 that Rice went undefeated in October.

Did they use to have bye weeks way back when ?
10-26-2014 10:12 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-26-2014 09:45 AM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Forgot that I saw this earlier in the week. 02-13-banana

Did they use to have bye weeks way back when ?
10-26-2014 10:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.