Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

fun little Pitt story
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
fun little Pitt story
http://www.pittnews.com/specials/homecom...b2370.html

Quote:In Pitt’s 125 years of collegiate football, the University had two major rivalries — Penn State and West Virginia — it played on a yearly basis.

Then, college football realignment happened.

While both of Pitt’s major rivalries have enjoyed longevity, neither started well for the Panthers, who scored zero points in their first game against both Penn State and West Virginia.

The Pitt and Penn State rivalry started on Nov. 6, 1893, with their first-ever matchup resulting in a 32-0 Penn State victory. The teams have since played each other 96 times, with Penn State holding a 48-42-8 lead in the series (two wins were vacated due to NCAA sanctions). The teams meet will again on the field on Sept. 10, 2016.
10-24-2014 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
RE: fun little Pitt story
No way long time WVU fans have forgotten Pitt either.

On a bus full of fans after losing to LSU a few years ago.... the chant began - ____ on Pitt! _____ on Pitt!

I already miss that rivalry myself and the sort of rival with VT as well, but nothing topped Pitt. PSU had WVU's number so long it almost didn't feel like like a rival, but it sure was nice running the score up on Joe Pa with Major Harris and watching him squirm and get pissed at Nehlen for letting it happen. Like he never did that to WVU.......ha!

I am sure the hatred for PSU runs deeper for Pitt fans than WVU.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2014 02:54 PM by Tigeer.)
10-24-2014 02:47 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
No doubt brotha... So many memories of the years....

I'm proud of this article... Best thing I've ever written...
10-24-2014 02:51 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2014 02:51 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  No doubt brotha... So many memories of the years....

Good luck with PSU in 2016 and I cannot wait for the next "Backyard Brawl". It will happen home and home again some time. Just hope in my lifetime.
10-24-2014 02:55 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(10-24-2014 02:55 PM)Tigeer Wrote:  
(10-24-2014 02:51 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  No doubt brotha... So many memories of the years....

Good luck with PSU in 2016 and I cannot wait for the next "Backyard Brawl". It will happen home and home again some time. Just hope in my lifetime.

It'll happen post Pederson. I doubt that the PSU series will be permanent. It could get extended soon, but I don't think this will be a long time series. I foresee WVU & PSU rotating on/off Pitt's schedule.
10-24-2014 02:57 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
If Pitt could pull off long term deals with both PSU and WVU to go along with their renewed access to Notre Dame, I would think they would be in scheduling heaven.
10-24-2014 03:25 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players

As a kid new to Pennsylvania, I had no idea that Pitt had held a big lead in the series. And as long as I lived in PA, Penn State was crushing Pitt, but I could tell that everyone was into the rivalry.

I still think it's a shame that the old eastern independents didn't form a league that included Penn State, Pitt, Temple, West Virginia, Rutgers, and Syracuse.
10-24-2014 03:56 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(10-24-2014 03:56 PM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  

As a kid new to Pennsylvania, I had no idea that Pitt had held a big lead in the series. And as long as I lived in PA, Penn State was crushing Pitt, but I could tell that everyone was into the rivalry.

I still think it's a shame that the old eastern independents didn't form a league that included Penn State, Pitt, Temple, West Virginia, Rutgers, and Syracuse.
There were too many strong personalities at each of the universities involved, each with their own agenda, for that to ever happen. There was one time when it could have happened, had it not been for agendas. But once that time passed, it was too late.
10-24-2014 04:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2014 04:52 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

There were too many strong personalities at each of the universities involved, each with their own agenda, for that to ever happen. There was one time when it could have happened, had it not been for agendas. But once that time passed, it was too late.

Agreed
10-24-2014 09:18 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I don't think there's any doubt that is true.
10-24-2014 09:39 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(10-24-2014 04:52 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

The funny thing is, if they did it right now, today, it would get them all more money and exposure than they have now. PSU, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Maryland, Rutgers, BC, and UConn gives you 8. Miami might join if asked, and I honestly think that Michigan and OSU would consider joining that group if it ever got started.

If Penn State led the charge, the rest of those core teams would follow like dominos. But it would take a true visionary at Penn State to have the balls to do it.
10-24-2014 11:31 PM
CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
(10-24-2014 11:31 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  PSU, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Maryland, Rutgers, BC, and UConn gives you 8. Miami might join

That conference would make good money and would monopolize the Northeast, but competitively speaking, the champ from that conference would have to be unbeaten to make the playoff.

The northeast just doesn't produce enough good programs to be their own conference and I think that's why all of those teams are dispersed throughout the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, and AAC.
10-25-2014 12:11 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(10-25-2014 12:11 AM)CoogNellie Wrote:  
(10-24-2014 11:31 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  PSU, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Maryland, Rutgers, BC, and UConn gives you 8. Miami might join

That conference would make good money and would monopolize the Northeast, but competitively speaking, the champ from that conference would have to be unbeaten to make the playoff.

The northeast just doesn't produce enough good programs to be their own conference and I think that's why all of those teams are dispersed throughout the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, and AAC.

But with the exception of UConn, they were all considered peers back then. Now you have Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers in the Big 10 and they aren't going to leave that gravy train for the hope of good things in a regional conference. In the 60's or 70's, a conference like that would have set a firm foundation that would have stood over time IMO. There would have been no incursion northward by the ACC. Virginia Tech may have aligned with that conference rather than the ACC. There would have been a potential landing spot for schools like UConn, UMass and Cincinnati as they progressed. The conference wouldn't have threatened the Big 10, but it most certainly would have challenged the ACC for supremacy in the east.
10-25-2014 01:33 AM
Advertisement

CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
(10-25-2014 01:33 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  The conference wouldn't have threatened the Big 10, but it most certainly would have challenged the ACC for supremacy in the east.

A stiff breeze would challenge the ACC. All the ACC schools should say a prayer to Florida State before they go to bed at night.
10-25-2014 01:56 AM
lofi Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
(10-24-2014 02:32 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  http://www.pittnews.com/specials/homecom...b2370.html

Quote:In Pitt’s 125 years of collegiate football, the University had two major rivalries — Penn State and West Virginia — it played on a yearly basis.

While both of Pitt’s major rivalries have enjoyed longevity, neither started well for the Panthers, who scored zero points in their first game against both Penn State and West Virginia.

The Pitt and Penn State rivalry started on Nov. 6, 1893, with their first-ever matchup resulting in a 32-0 Penn State victory. The teams have since played each other 96 times, with Penn State holding a 48-42-8 lead in the series (two wins were vacated due to NCAA sanctions). The teams meet will again on the field on Sept. 10, 2016.
Nice article.
It's obvious there is bad blood between Pederson and Oliver Luck that will put the game on hold for the forseeable future.
It's a shame but it is what it is.
10-25-2014 10:10 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(10-25-2014 10:10 AM)lofi Wrote:  
(10-24-2014 02:32 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  http://www.pittnews.com/specials/homecom...b2370.html

Nice article.
It's obvious there is bad blood between Pederson and Oliver Luck that will put the game on hold for the forseeable future.
It's a shame but it is what it is.
Luck is a good enough businessman to not let any personal feelings effect what would be a great business opportunity for both universities. However, Pederson isn't. He nearly destroyed Nebraska's football program with his decisions, and got fired for it. He's currently doing the same thing at Pitt.
10-25-2014 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(10-25-2014 01:33 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  
(10-25-2014 12:11 AM)CoogNellie Wrote:  

But with the exception of UConn, they were all considered peers back then. Now you have Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers in the Big 10 and they aren't going to leave that gravy train for the hope of good things in a regional conference. In the 60's or 70's, a conference like that would have set a firm foundation that would have stood over time IMO. There would have been no incursion northward by the ACC. Virginia Tech may have aligned with that conference rather than the ACC. There would have been a potential landing spot for schools like UConn, UMass and Cincinnati as they progressed. The conference wouldn't have threatened the Big 10, but it most certainly would have challenged the ACC for supremacy in the east.

That's my point - that conference would BE a gravy train. It would have the largest population footprint of any conference, and only 8 teams to split the proceeds.

Just take a look at the current Big 10 to see how unimportant national championships and postseason performance is to a conference's revenue. It's all about brand names and regional domination. This conference would have both in spades, especially if OSU, Michigan, and Miami joined (which I think they would; OSU and Michigan both have more alums in NYC than Chicago).
10-25-2014 12:21 PM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:
A) great article by Clairton Panther

B) agree completely that there will be no games until there is a new AD at Pitt. However once that happens I think the two schools will work something out. Can't get a much uglier divorce then WVU/va tech but now the two schools are going to play in football a couple times in the future and every year in every other sport. No reason Pitt and WVU can't do something similar in the future.

Jackson
10-25-2014 07:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.