Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Need a ruling - are megaphones "artificial noisemakers?"
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Need a ruling - are megaphones "artificial noisemakers?"
At the game this week, the security staff refused to let me into the game with my plastic cone megaphone, similar to what is pictured.

[Image: 35871.jpg]

They told me they were considered "artificial noisemakers" and not allowed in the stadium. I ran it by someone in the athletic department and told them I had been bringing it into games for years and had never been stopped before. They told me it was an American Athletic Conference rule that these sorts of "artificial noisemakers" were not allowed at conference games.

Anyone else think it's BS? Do you consider this an artificial noisemaker?
10-21-2014 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

airbornepirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
RE: Need a ruling - are megaphones "artificial noisemakers?"
(10-21-2014 01:37 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  At the game this week, the security staff refused to let me into the game with my plastic cone megaphone, similar to what is pictured.

They told me they were considered "artificial noisemakers" and not allowed in the stadium. I ran it by someone in the athletic department and told them I had been bringing it into games for years and had never been stopped before. They told me it was an American Athletic Conference rule that these sorts of "artificial noisemakers" were not allowed at conference games.

No idea, but buy a program and then turn it in to a "megaphone." Problem solved.
10-21-2014 01:47 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
According to the NCAA it is. 07-coffee3
10-21-2014 01:52 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Seems like really twisting the intention of the rule. I would think air horns, whistles, bells, etc would be considered artificial noise not your own voice in a plastic tube.

I did see BYU students turned their phone flash lights on during the game. Genius! That would be awesome to see at ucf events on a field goal attempt. Waving the lights back and forth.
10-21-2014 01:53 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(10-21-2014 01:52 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  According to the NCAA it is. 07-coffee3

Link? It's not in any rulebook I've seen.
10-21-2014 01:53 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ

How does Mississippi State get away with a stadium full of cow bells?
10-21-2014 01:54 PM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(10-21-2014 01:53 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Seems like really twisting the intention of the rule. I would think air horns, whistles, bells, etc would be considered artificial noise not your own voice in a plastic tube.

I did see BYU students turned their phone flash lights on during the game. Genius! That would be awesome to see at ucf events on a field goal attempt. Waving the lights back and forth.

I remember going to an ECU/UCF game at the Citrus Bowl, and there were several fans there with Air Horns. Man I hate those things.

Can Missy State no longer bring in the cow bells?
10-21-2014 01:55 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Yet MSU is allowed to have 70K fans ring cow bells.

Rules are rules. Except for the SEC.
10-21-2014 01:57 PM
MemphisTigerFreak Offline
Fear God, Not Man

I Root For: Memphis
Sounds like BS to me. Like others said, your own voice is not an artificial noise maker. Probably a newb who takes his job too seriously.
10-21-2014 02:03 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Technically it’s a device with the expressed design to make or amplify a loud noise so I can see why they would have a problem.

Does it seem picky or trivial….yes but if they permit one school to do something like this then it will allow other schools to take advantage of the gray area or lack of enforcement.
During the early days of the program, USF fans were allowed to bring in Bull Bells to Tampa Stadium and the first couple years at RJS. That made for some really loud environment during big games…and while it was a fun time I can see why it was an unfair home field advantage. When we joined C-USA in 2003 they started clamping down on enforcement and folks were ejected from games for sneaking bells into the game.
10-21-2014 02:05 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(10-21-2014 01:54 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

That's the first think I thought about. Those things were loud as crap on TV. I can't believe the SEC permits it.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2014 02:16 PM by blunderbuss.)
10-21-2014 02:14 PM
Advertisement

ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
That's a miniphone, lol. ECU is famous for the leftfield megaphones in baseball. And I know the school is going to allow us to continue. The only time we've been told no is during the 09 Greenville regional. Think you just ran into some newbs.
10-21-2014 02:17 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(10-21-2014 02:05 PM)CyberBull Wrote:  Technically it’s a device with the expressed design to make or amplify a loud noise so I can see why they would have a problem.

Does it seem picky or trivial….yes but if they permit one school to do something like this then it will allow other schools to take advantage of the gray area or lack of enforcement.
During the early days of the program, USF fans were allowed to bring in Bull Bells to Tampa Stadium and the first couple years at RJS. That made for some really loud environment during big games…and while it was a fun time I can see why it was an unfair home field advantage. When we joined C-USA in 2003 they started clamping down on enforcement and folks were ejected from games for sneaking bells into the game.

I wouldn't be so pissed, but they sell the damn things IN THE STADIUM for crying out loud.
10-21-2014 02:19 PM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
(10-21-2014 02:19 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(10-21-2014 02:05 PM)CyberBull Wrote:  Technically it’s a device with the expressed design to make or amplify a loud noise so I can see why they would have a problem.

I wouldn't be so pissed, but they sell the damn things IN THE STADIUM for crying out loud.

Next time just tell them that you bought it at the Stadium and that it doesn't work. So you're returning it as a defective item for replacement or your money back. They'll look at you oddly but, I'm sure they'll appreciate the genius behind your plot. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2014 02:34 PM by USFRamenu.)
10-21-2014 02:33 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(10-21-2014 02:14 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

That's the first think I thought about. Those things were loud as crap on TV. I can't believe the SEC permits it.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...-etiquette

They were banned at one time, but the SEC voted to allow them at home games, provided they didn't interfere with the visiting teams' offensive signals.

The link above details a request by the AD to use proper decorum with those artificial noisemakers.
10-21-2014 02:36 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(10-21-2014 02:36 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

They were banned at one time, but the SEC voted to allow them at home games, provided they didn't interfere with the visiting teams' offensive signals.

The link above details a request by the AD to use proper decorum with those artificial noisemakers.

That's interesting, in that it implies that the officials calling the games at the Mississippi State games are SEC officials. If they played Notre Dame, and to level the playing field ND insisted that the visiting team supplies the officiating crew, that crew could call penalties. Correct?

EDIT: What about bowl games? Do they bring them to bowl games?
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2014 02:56 PM by SublimeKnight.)
10-21-2014 02:54 PM
Advertisement

UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
What about Thunder Sticks? Are they allowed? They are easy to sneak in.

I can's see how they are banned as Louisville in the past two years has SUPPLIED them to fans.
http://www.thecardinalconnect.com/2012/0...-saturday/
10-21-2014 03:32 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(10-21-2014 02:54 PM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  
(10-21-2014 02:36 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

That's interesting, in that it implies that the officials calling the games at the Mississippi State games are SEC officials. If they played Notre Dame, and to level the playing field ND insisted that the visiting team supplies the officiating crew, that crew could call penalties. Correct?

EDIT: What about bowl games? Do they bring them to bowl games?

Well, they brought/bring them everywhere, even during the ban; it just wasn't as obvious. You could still hear them scattered throughout the stadiums on TV.

I don't know what it's like at all stadiums, but at the LB, you can sneak a dozen 5ths of Jack Daniels, a case of beer, etc in your clothing, but you can't get 1 small folding umbrella past the eagle eye guys at the gates. :)

It's amazing what they put emphasis on.
10-21-2014 03:44 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: Need a ruling - are megaphones "artificial noisemakers?"
(10-21-2014 01:37 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  At the game this week, the security staff refused to let me into the game with my plastic cone megaphone, similar to what is pictured.

You take a megaphone to the game. Am I the only one that snickered

Are you 12 years old or something?
10-21-2014 04:02 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(10-21-2014 02:19 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

Ok...now I see why you are pissed. That is some crazy crap if they are selling them at the stadium and then telling you can't bring them in. Obviously someone missed the memo...
10-21-2014 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.