Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Power Four?
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
Power Four?
What if the Big 12 fell apart? Here is what I thought could possibly happen:

Texas takes a similar offer as Notre Dame for ACC membership. Gets to keep Longhorn Network, 6 game scheduling alliance for football, and a full ACC invite for all sports. This leaves the ACC with 14 football schools and 16 all other sports.

In return the B1G invites both Oklahoma and Kansas to go a long with previously invited Nebraska. This moves the B1G to 16 teams.

With conferences going towards 16 teams both the SEC and PAC look to add teams from the left over Big 12. The SEC adds Kansas State and Oklahoma State to go 16 teams.

The PAC-12 also grabs Texas Tech and BYU to get to 14 teams.

That leaves Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, and West Virginia with no home. In return the Big 12 leftovers add Connecticut, East Carolina, UCF, South Florida, Memphis, Cincinnati, Boise State, SMU, Houston, Rice, Tulane, and San Diego State to get to 16 schools and becomes the Big 16.

After a couple of years of what seems like everything has played out. Texas Tech feels like they are left on an island and misses playing other Texas schools. They make a big push for the PAC to add more teams from Texas more i.e. Baylor and TCU. Also at the same time the B1G East Schools are feeling outnumbered by the Mid-Western schools and not playing enough games in the east and want to add UCONN.

The B1G starts the next round of going to 18 teams in a conference by adding Connecticut and Iowa State.

The PAC starts looking at adding TCU and Baylor to go to 16 teams. However the SEC goes after both to keep the PAC as much out of Texas as possible. TCU and Baylor both go to the SEC to play more like minded schools and to be with previous conference members OkSt, K-State, Mizzou, Ark, TA&M. This gives the SEC 18 members.

The PAC then goes to his second option of adding both Houston and SMU to go to 16 schools.

With both the B1G now at 18 teams and taking over more ACC territory by going into New England. The ACC looks to add West Virginia and Cincinnati both in the hear of the B1G country. One thing the ACC does not realize is that the SEC is also looking to add two east coast schools to please UGA, UF, USF, and UT and one of those schools is WVU. The ACC extends invitations to both Cincinnati and West Virginia and at the same the SEC offers an invitation to West Virginia and East Carolina. West Virginia takes the SEC up on its offer and so does East Carolina bringing the SEC total to 20 schools. Cincinnati takes the ACC offer however the ACC is left without WVU. In reaction to not getting WVU the ACC sends an invite to Memphis who is in the heart of SEC country to get back at the SEC for taking WVU. This gives the ACC 16 full members + ND and Texas.

Now that the Big 12 is down to just UCF, South Florida, Boise St, Rice, Tulane, and San Diego State. All seven schools start looking at moving up to one of the Power 4 conferences. With ESPN's help and ESPN not wanting to have to support another conference ESPN starts trying to work a deal to get all 7 teams into a P4 conference. Both the SEC and B1G are done adding schools and at are not looking for any leftovers. With both the B1G at 18 schools and the SEC at 20, ESPN tells the PAC-16 they need to expand their markets in order to grow. The PAC-16 adds SDSU, Rice, Tulane, and Boise State to go to 20 schools. With every conference at 20 or 18 the ACC adds both UCF and South Florida to dominate the Florida market and to go to 18 full members and ND/TX to be on par with the other conferences. This leaves the conference as follow:
ACC Atlantic
Florida State
Clemson
Louisville
Boston College
Syracuse
Wake Forest
NC State
Cincinnati
Memphis
ACC Coastal
Duke
Virginia
Pitt
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
UCF
South Florida

and Notre Dame and Texas as non-football members.

B1G WEST
Kansas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern

B1G EAST
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
Connecticut

The SEC and PAC-20 go to a four division style conference:

SEC WEST
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Missouri
Arkansas
TCU

SEC SOUTH
Baylor
Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

SEC CENTRAL
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Alabama
Auburn

SEC EAST
West Virginia
East Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida

PAC NORTHWEST
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Boise State

PAC WEST
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC
San Diego State

PAC CENTRAL
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
BYU
Colorado

PAC EAST
Texas Tech
SMU
Houston
Rice
Tulane
10-20-2014 02:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
RE: Power Four?

nope.
10-20-2014 02:40 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
How many "What happens if the Big 12 Breaks up" does a forum need?
10-20-2014 02:58 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
(10-20-2014 02:40 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  ......

nope.

Seconded.
10-20-2014 02:59 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(10-20-2014 02:58 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  How many "What happens if the Big 12 Breaks up" does a forum need?

More than likely it will be a eastern conference that's right in the middle of the B1G and SEC. 05-stirthepot

How many times do we have to go through this? The Big XII is the best place for Texas because they won't tolerate being treated as equals or just "one of the boys" in the SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12. They like to be in control and no other conference, not even the ACC will give them the same treatment the Big XII does.
10-20-2014 03:03 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Why would the destruction of the Big12 conference automatically mean that the American would also be picked apart? Wouldn't it be more logical to assume that the remaining 4 conferences pick schools from the Big12 that they would want, and there would be a legitimate chance that not all Big12 schools get any other invites?
10-20-2014 03:06 PM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
won't affect us whatsoever 07-coffee3 then again, if they need a good home we'll gladly take some travel subsidies. K.State, Baylor - come on down!
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Pac 12 will never add most of the schools you mentioned. The Pac 12 is pretty picky about academics, much like the Big Ten. Only way the Pac 12 expands is if a package including Texas and Oklahoma is on the table.
10-20-2014 03:37 PM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
(10-20-2014 03:37 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Only way the Pac 12 expands is if a package including Texas is on the table.

FIFY.

But you are right that the PAC will never add schools like BYU or Baylor.
10-20-2014 04:00 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(10-20-2014 02:40 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  ......

nope.

I went cross-eyed just trying to look at that post, so I'll say no just like you and other posters.

(10-20-2014 03:03 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  
(10-20-2014 02:58 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  How many "What happens if the Big 12 Breaks up" does a forum need?

More than likely it will be a eastern conference that's right in the middle of the B1G and SEC. 05-stirthepot

How many times do we have to go through this? The Big XII is the best place for Texas because they won't tolerate being treated as equals or just "one of the boys" in the SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12. They like to be in control and no other conference, not even the ACC will give them the same treatment the Big XII does.

Didn't they just change their website to "one true champion" just to quell off those rumors?
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2014 04:33 PM by C2__.)
10-20-2014 04:29 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
I like the idea of Texas going to the ACC as a partial...

But I quit reading after I saw Oklahoma to the Big 10....I just don't think that would happen...

Not to mention, I don't think OU is AAU...and they don't really add a market

If Oklahoma goes anywhere, I believe it would be to the PAC 12 along with Oklahoma State
10-20-2014 04:43 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
No.

The B12 will survive forever.

-A 20 time gap in TV revenue between them and any P5 conference. You can cut the B12's revenue by 1/2 even by 1/4 and they'll get anyone to sign up including Hawaii and UConn.

-The B12 is a power conference so designed by the the new restructured NCAA. Schools would much rather have the extra voting status in the B12 than sit in a G5.

-B1G only has 3 attractive schools to other power conferences left; Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas. A few others could also be in play like WVU, TT, OSU depending on numbers but a limited amount of desirable targets now exist in that conference.
10-20-2014 05:39 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(10-20-2014 04:43 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  I like the idea of Texas going to the ACC as a partial...

But I quit reading after I saw Oklahoma to the Big 10....I just don't think that would happen...

If Oklahoma goes anywhere, I believe it would be to the PAC 12 along with Oklahoma State

The B10 would easily vote to add OU, the AAU thing is a red herring and OU brings a brand name better than Nebraska and with large following in North Texas.
10-20-2014 05:58 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

Memphis to the ACC though? Really?
10-20-2014 06:00 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(10-20-2014 05:58 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(10-20-2014 04:43 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  I like the idea of Texas going to the ACC as a partial...

The B10 would easily vote to add OU, the AAU thing is a red herring and OU brings a brand name better than Nebraska and with large following in North Texas.

I disagree with all that...

The Big 10 bylaws for expansion are AAU, contiguous state, and you've gotta bring a market...let's just say if the Big 10 was interested in Oklahoma, they'd already be in the conference
10-20-2014 06:15 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(10-20-2014 06:15 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

The Big 10 bylaws for expansion are AAU, contiguous state, and you've gotta bring a market...let's just say if the Big 10 was interested in Oklahoma, they'd already be in the conference

So why has Nebraska not been expelled? There is no requirement for B10 schools to be in the AAU, but if it's in the bylaws, by all means post them.
10-20-2014 06:26 PM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

Evil, you do realize that Nebraska was tossed out of AAU and that the B10 bylaws are amendable by the same numerical vote as it takes to add a member .75 times 14 or 10.5, meaning it takes 11 votes to amend any B10 bylaws or add a member.
10-20-2014 06:34 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(10-20-2014 06:26 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  

So why has Nebraska not been expelled? There is no requirement for B10 schools to be in the AAU, but if it's in the bylaws, by all means post them.

They'd only wave AAU for certain cases like ND...and honestly, if they'd had it to do over again, I'm not sure they'd invite Nebraska....

What the Big 10 wants is markets with large population, and like minded research institutions are VERY important to them...

They want east coast schools....North Carolina, GIT, Virginia...

Oklahoma adds nothing for them. Like I said, if OU was lucrative, they'd already be in. The BIG could have easily added Kansas and OU the last go round. Instead they added Maryland and Rutgers....why is that?
10-20-2014 06:39 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(10-20-2014 06:39 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  
(10-20-2014 06:26 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  

They'd only wave AAU for certain cases like ND...and honestly, if they'd had it to do over again, I'm not sure they'd invite Nebraska....

What the Big 10 wants is markets with large population, and like minded research institutions are VERY important to them...

They want east coast schools....North Carolina, GIT, Virginia...

Oklahoma adds nothing for them. Like I said, if OU was lucrative, they'd already be in. The BIG could have easily added Kansas and OU the last go round. Instead they added Maryland and Rutgers....why is that?

honestly, if they'd had it to do over again, I'm not sure they'd invite Nebraska....

Really?
10-20-2014 06:42 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

Evil, Kansas and OU became covered by a GOR prior to the B10 voting to add Rutgers and MD.
10-20-2014 06:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.