RE: Ron Leary
Bump to get it over all the NTR Ole Miss and UT threads
10-20-2014 07:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Phillip26r Offline
Deceptively Slow

I Root For: wile e coyote
It's getting boring in big D. DeMarco rushes for 100 yards, Dez can't be covered, and Romo plays better than any QB in the NFL. Snooze....
10-20-2014 08:02 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
I guess it is up to me to be negative Nellie LOL.
As well as the line has played this far, it can be better. There have been too many stupid lineman penalties that have hurt drives, or have had the opportunity kill drives (as in Seattle last week facing a 3rd and 20, or the week before....the line killed some drives in the 3rd quarter with a silly penalty or two).
Leary has been one of the culprits...so I hope they can get their stuff together.
I've been VERY impressed with their play this year...its ALMOST like what we witnessed in the 90's under Jimmy Johnson...we just don't have that kind of depth anymore (and that is because of free agency). You'll NEVER see a team that deep with talent ever again I don't think. (They lost 30 players due to free agency when it was instituted in the 90's. Backup players on offense and defense that Johnson had drafted that could have been starters anywhere else...but were backups in Dallas).
If Johnson had never left...that could have been the greatest football dynasty ever. He could have won 5 Super Bowls easily with the depth they had then.
10-20-2014 08:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
IMO a lot of the false starts are because of the audibles. And that's with everyone. Those big hosses can't stay in a stance for that long.
10-20-2014 08:39 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

(10-20-2014 08:39 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  IMO a lot of the false starts are because of the audibles. And that's with everyone. Those big hosses can't stay in a stance for that long.

In the San Fran game....and the Rams game it was because of the silent counts that they use.
The guard will tap the center's leg when it is time to hike the ball...and invariably someone will jump off sometime.
I cannot remember how often they used to jump offsides during the Johnson years.
He was a very tough taskmaster.
He once cut a reserve running back as they were about to enter the playoffs because he fumbled the football during a game.
The NFL told him that he would still have to pay that player nonetheless. Johnson said he didn't care...he couldn't trust him...and the team didn't need someone it couldn't trust.
He was sending a message to Dallas' other players that this crazy sob doesn't care...stay on your toes.
10-20-2014 08:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(10-20-2014 08:15 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  I guess it is up to me to be negative Nellie LOL.
As well as the line has played this far, it can be better. There have been too many stupid lineman penalties that have hurt drives, or have had the opportunity kill drives (as in Seattle last week facing a 3rd and 20, or the week before....the line killed some drives in the 3rd quarter with a silly penalty or two).
Leary has been one of the culprits...so I hope they can get their stuff together.
I've been VERY impressed with their play this year...its ALMOST like what we witnessed in the 90's under Jimmy Johnson...we just don't have that kind of depth anymore (and that is because of free agency). You'll NEVER see a team that deep with talent ever again I don't think. (They lost 30 players due to free agency when it was instituted in the 90's. Backup players on offense and defense that Johnson had drafted that could have been starters anywhere else...but were backups in Dallas).
If Johnson had never left...that could have been the greatest football dynasty ever. He could have won 5 Super Bowls easily with the depth they had then.

Herchel Walker and Minnesota created all that depth.
10-20-2014 09:32 AM
450bench Offline

(10-20-2014 07:07 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Bump to get it over all the NTR Ole Miss and UT threads

Good move. This should be the official thread from here on out to bump over that stuff.
10-20-2014 09:42 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(10-20-2014 09:32 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(10-20-2014 08:15 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  I guess it is up to me to be negative Nellie LOL.

Jerry Jones gets a lot of grief for some of his moves but he deserves credit for this current roster as well. The line the acquisition of McClain etc.
10-20-2014 09:52 AM
Mickavelli Offline
Special Teams

(10-20-2014 09:52 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(10-20-2014 09:32 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Jerry Jones gets a lot of grief for some of his moves but he deserves credit for this current roster as well. The line the acquisition of McClain etc.

I agree, McClain is a steal.
10-20-2014 09:57 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
Cowboys drafts have been off the charts the last 4-5 years. Plus they are finding undrafted gems like Leary and maximizing the abilities of several cast offs and "misfit toy" types.

They are in a zone.

I've been arguing the last few years that they were doing things the right way, and that it adds up eventually if Jerry didn't chop it all down before the fruit could ripen and mature. But the constant 8-8 finishes made it hard to find anyone willing to listen. lol
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2014 07:01 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
10-20-2014 06:53 PM
Advertisement

EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

Going in to this season...I was convinced Dallas would go 8-8. Just in case we all get too ahead of ourselves....that can still happen...
Anyways...I was convinced the defense would do us in this year.
They let several key guys from the line go...Hatcher, Ware...then they lose Sean Lee in preseason (starting to think McClain may be our middle linebacker for awhile. I'd cut Lee as a business decision....he can't seem to stay healthy anymore)
After last year with Kiffin as defensive coordinator..I was skeptical as to what Rod Marinelli could do in such a short time.
I have to say he has made a believer out of me. Marinelli is the real deal...and I believe that he and Scott Linehan will be given head coaching jobs again very, very soon.
10-20-2014 07:17 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I thought going into the year we would have a SB caliber offense but the worst defense in the NFL.

Instead the offense is not only SB caliber but may be the best in the NFL. You can say Denver might be the best O, but they can't run the ball and that matters in the playoffs. Great QB's like Manning and Marino have always been vulnerable to physical teams that can run the ball and control the time of possession.

I thought they should have ran the ball more last year, but we didn't. Add Zach Martin in and now a good line becomes dominant.

The defense is off the charts better than they should be.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2014 09:50 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
10-20-2014 09:46 PM
Phillip26r Offline
Deceptively Slow

I don't know how smart it would be to cut Sean Lee just because he can't stay healthy. But at the end of the year, assuming McClain doesn't retire again like he has twice before, I'd like to see all the implications of such a move. My guess is the cap hit would be too great and the lure of seeing him and McClain on the field together is pretty enticing.
10-21-2014 08:10 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

(10-21-2014 08:10 AM)Phillip26r Wrote:  I don't know how smart it would be to cut Sean Lee just because he can't stay healthy. But at the end of the year, assuming McClain doesn't retire again like he has twice before, I'd like to see all the implications of such a move. My guess is the cap hit would be too great and the lure of seeing him and McClain on the field together is pretty enticing.

they cut one of Romo's favorite receivers (Austin) who is now in Cleveland for not being able to stay healthy....
10-21-2014 10:53 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(10-21-2014 10:53 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(10-21-2014 08:10 AM)Phillip26r Wrote:  I don't know how smart it would be to cut Sean Lee just because he can't stay healthy. But at the end of the year, assuming McClain doesn't retire again like he has twice before, I'd like to see all the implications of such a move. My guess is the cap hit would be too great and the lure of seeing him and McClain on the field together is pretty enticing.

they cut one of Romo's favorite receivers (Austin) who is now in Cleveland for not being able to stay healthy....

Well that plus his declining production. No comparison between these two. He became the invisible man last year, even when he was healthy.

Players like Austin are a dime a dozen. Sean Lee is one of the most talented linebackers of this era.

If anyone is expecting Sean Lee to get cut, don't hold your breath.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2014 01:36 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
10-21-2014 01:31 PM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I'm glad they got rid of Arod (Austin)
10-21-2014 01:59 PM
U of M/ND fan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers & Irish
Back to Leary..... He is the real deal.
10-21-2014 09:01 PM
Phillip26r Offline
Deceptively Slow

(10-21-2014 09:01 PM)U of M/ND fan Wrote:  Back to Leary..... He is the real deal.

Yes, he is. Proud to see him out there wearing the star.
10-22-2014 09:10 AM
Mickavelli Offline
Special Teams

(10-22-2014 09:10 AM)Phillip26r Wrote:  
(10-21-2014 09:01 PM)U of M/ND fan Wrote:  Back to Leary..... He is the real deal.

Yes, he is. Proud to see him out there wearing the star.

He is a restricted free agent this year, wonder if he will get a 2nd round tender?
10-22-2014 11:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.