Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This week showed why CFP is better than BCS was
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
This week showed why CFP is better than BCS was
Just think about if we had the BCS right now..

Florida St would be in practically in the title game right now...

SEC champ would be a heavy favorite for the other spot. Very heavy.

With 7 weeks to go- it would be extremely anti-climatic at this point. Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12 would be out of the title chase at this point. ND would be out. It would take either a FSU upset or for a very unusual trek in the SEC to not have it be FSU/SEC in the title game.
10-19-2014 01:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
RE: This week showed why CFP is better than BCS was
You are right. People were so worried that a playoff would devalue the regular season but it has made it even more exciting.
10-19-2014 01:49 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
With the rankings tomorrow likely to be

1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. Ole Miss
4. Auburn
5. Alabama

the title game would be all but set. Michigan State would be hoping that they won out and that multiple upsets occurred in the SEC West, not including the Egg Bowl and Iron Bowl falling their way. No one else would really have a chance.

That said, I'm one of the old timers who believes that there was nothing wrong with not having a title game at all. Let the polls name their own champions and let the arguments begin. We will still have arguments this season about who isn't included in the playoff that people feel should be included. If a team is chosen that didn't win its conference, there will be arguments. If a "less deserving" conference champion is chosen for the playoff, there will be arguments. Even if they go to a 6-8 team playoff, there will be arguments (though not being chosen as the #8 team is less of big deal). So if we are still going to have arguments, I'd rather let the regular season and the subsequent bowls speak for themselves.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 02:11 AM by Zombiewoof.)
10-19-2014 02:10 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-19-2014 02:10 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  With the rankings tomorrow likely to be

1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. Ole Miss
4. Auburn
5. Alabama

the title game would be all but set. Michigan State would be hoping that they won out and that multiple upsets occurred in the SEC West, not including the Egg Bowl and Iron Bowl falling their way. No one else would really have a chance.

That said, I'm one of the old timers who believes that there was nothing wrong with not having a title game at all. Let the polls name their own champions and let the arguments begin. We will still have arguments this season about who isn't included in the playoff that people feel should be included. If a team is chosen that didn't win its conference, there will be arguments. If a "less deserving" conference champion is chosen for the playoff, there will be arguments. Even if they go to a 6-8 team playoff, there will be arguments (though not being chosen as the #8 team is less of big deal). So if we are still going to have arguments, I'd rather let the regular season and the subsequent bowls speak for themselves.

yeah and Georgia may be 6 or 7. Do think Alabama will be ahead of Auburn after today....

I think having the title games have made the sport much more national. wait until we see the rating for tonight's game.
10-19-2014 02:14 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(10-19-2014 02:10 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  With the rankings tomorrow likely to be

1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. Ole Miss
4. Auburn
5. Alabama

This is why rankings halfway through the season don't F'n matter.

The point of a National Championship Tournament is about bringing together teams that don't usually play together and are at the top of the pecking order for the season. That means teams from across the country and generally speaking, from different conferences.

If we were to see the Tournament full of SEC teams, then what would be the point of the Regular Season? How many of you guys are all about "preserving" the regular season and yet you would actually want to see two teams from the same division that already played during the regular season, you would want them to have a rematch that basically makes their divisional match up game pointless?

I don't think you believe that. In fact I think you see exactly what the rational choice is. Conference regular season match ups should count for something. If they cant figure it out within the conference then that is their problem.

If you cant win your division during the season then that should come with a cost. If it doesn't then who cares right? Don't be one of those SEC nutjobs that projects all of their issues in life upon football and the SEC, wanting to see the SEC "conquer". By that, I mean the South beating the North and "conquering".

Their little bubble will be popped soon enough. It is a National Championship Tournament, not a Southeastern Championship Tournament.

They can argue that the SEC Championship game means more than any of the Playoff games. That is fair but please, stop pandering to them and fueling their angry little minds.

The rankings during the middle of the season are only meant to cause controversy because that brings attention. They mean NOTHING in terms of what matters in the end. Committee members have come right out and told us that. Start holding the idiots accountable for saying idiotic ****.
10-19-2014 02:53 AM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
The whole season is a playoff!
10-19-2014 10:57 AM
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
A 4-team playoff is not enough. I am going to laugh when two "P5" conference champs sit home and watch.
10-19-2014 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
(10-19-2014 11:02 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  A 4-team playoff is not enough. I am going to laugh when two "P5" conference champs sit home and watch.

++1 That would be the Big Ten and Big 12 this year.

It could be three champs, Big Ten, Big 12 and ACC.
10-19-2014 11:28 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-19-2014 11:28 AM)FloridaJag Wrote:  
(10-19-2014 11:02 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  A 4-team playoff is not enough. I am going to laugh when two "P5" conference champs sit home and watch.

The Pac is more likely to not make it than the Big Ten. I live in PAC land.

Ohio State is going to roll right over the rest of the Big Ten. The PAC doesn't have a dominant power.
10-19-2014 12:25 PM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
You don't have to "laugh" at the conference champ that doesn't make it...because that team is very, very likely to have no one to blame but itself. If MSU or OSU or--yes, even--Nebraska don't win out, they won't be in as the Big Ten champ. 12-1 Big Ten champ is in. Oregon, Utah, Arizona...same thing. Win out and go 12-1...you're in. If you don't...you won't have a gripe.

There may be 1 team with a "gripe" at #5 (or a slim chance there are two of them)...but I think four teams is going to reward strong teams in the regular season and only will slight teams that have blighted resumes.
10-19-2014 12:59 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
(10-19-2014 12:25 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Ohio State is going to roll right over the rest of the Big Ten. The PAC doesn't have a dominant power.

What?? OSU is going to roll right over Mich State? In East Lansing? So when you say the PAC doesn't have a dominant power, does that include Oregon?
10-19-2014 01:48 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline

(10-19-2014 01:48 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  

What?? OSU is going to roll right over Mich State? In East Lansing? So when you say the PAC doesn't have a dominant power, does that include Oregon?

Yes, Oregon has proved that they are not dominant in the PAC this year. They are strong and they can win big but they aren't indestructible by any means.

They could lose when Stanford comes to town, they could lose at Utah and they could lose at Oregon State in the last game of the season. Any one of those happens and they have two losses.

Yes, I do think OSU could roll over MSU at East Lansing. It is also possible that MSU finally plays as they are supposed to when OSU comes to town. Both are possibilities but I have watched both play and OSU is the better team right now.
10-19-2014 01:55 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
(10-19-2014 01:55 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Yes, Oregon has proved that they are not dominant in the PAC this year. They are strong and they can win big but they aren't indestructible by any means.

They could lose when Stanford comes to town, they could lose at Utah and they could lose at Oregon State in the last game of the season. Any one of those happens and they have two losses.

Yes, I do think OSU could roll over MSU at East Lansing. It is also possible that MSU finally plays as they are supposed to when OSU comes to town. Both are possibilities but I have watched both play and OSU is the better team right now.

We will agree to disagree. I believe Oregon would beat OSU on a neutral field. Last two weeks, Oregon has won at UCLA and at one point was up 42-10. Then this past week they beat Washington by 25, and that's not good enough? Granted, OSU's offense is rolling right now. They've scored over 50 in 4 straight games, but they're having been playing against decent defenses. Let's see what they do to Penn State this week.
10-19-2014 02:16 PM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
The problem with the PSU game...is that while PSU has a strong defense (probably the best they've faced since VaTech), our offense and special teams are so inept that our defense will be playing with a hand behind its back. Give OSU a short field all game long, and they will score. A lot. I hope PSU can keep it close in the first half...but it will get ugly in the second half. 45-17 OSU is my prediction.
10-19-2014 02:21 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,

We must be watching different teams then because I think Michigan States defense could give Ohio State fits.
10-19-2014 02:40 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
nm
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 04:29 PM by Carolina_Low_Country.)
10-19-2014 02:48 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
They need a 16-team playoff -- not a 4 team playoff. A 4 team "playoff" just says "We don't know Who exactly SHOULD be in the title game, so let's have 4, not 2 teams battle for it."

I agree the regular season is a playoff in a sense. Same in basketball. Your conference season is your playoff with a guarantee to go. Should be the same in college football.

5 P5 Auto-Bids (All Conf Champs; Must have 7 FBS victories minimum or 6 w/ win over end-of-reg-season Top 25)
5 G5 Auto-Bids
6 At-Large (1 IND if in Top 14; 2 IND if 2nd is in Top 8; ONLY 2 Teams per Conference unless 3rd is in Top 8, then max ends at 3)

Some folks (in the SEC) might cry foul -- but it wouldn't be a playoff of the TOP 16 RANKED teams. It would be a playoff of the teams who WON their (conference) playoff and a smaller group of at-larges who are ranked really high to fill it out.

In the NCAA Tourney, it's not aimed nor supposed to be The Top 64 teams in the nation in basketball. Same with a 16-team playoff for Football. If a #9 SEC team whines about not getting in -- sorry, you came in 4th place in the SEC. There's already 3 in there. You were FAR away from making it to your conference championship, buddy -- you already "lost" in the playoff hunt.

Others will say "Hey, that's no fair that an ECU, NIU, or Boise get an easier path to it, and ranked way lower getting in!" Ummm, yes it is. You choose to be in a tougher conference bringing tons of $$ into it -- you have an bigger hill to climb to get to the Final playoffs. Don't want that? Join the MAC.
10-19-2014 04:08 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-19-2014 02:40 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  
(10-19-2014 11:28 AM)FloridaJag Wrote:  ++1 That would be the Big Ten and Big 12 this year.

We must be watching different teams then because I think Michigan States defense could give Ohio State fits.

Could? Absolutely it could but the question is whether or not it will. Yes they will be at home and yes they likely will play at a higher level than they have been playing against lesser squads but Ohio State seems to be learning less bad habits than MSU and that worries me for MSU.

At the beginning of the season I was absolutely on the MSU bandwagon. I was calling for an MSU vs Wisconsin Championship game in a battle of the 11-1 teams. Yeah well, things aren't working out that way right now. I don't think any Big Ten teams help prepare MSU for OSU. On the other hand though I don't think the MSU offense is anything special so OSU's defense will be better prepared for that game than MSU's. Barrett is proving to be pretty special.

He may even be in the Heisman talk next season.
10-19-2014 04:33 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-19-2014 04:08 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  They need a 16-team playoff -- not a 4 team playoff. A 4 team "playoff" just says "We don't know Who exactly SHOULD be in the title game, so let's have 4, not 2 teams battle for it."

I agree the regular season is a playoff in a sense. Same in basketball. Your conference season is your playoff with a guarantee to go. Should be the same in college football.

5 P5 Auto-Bids (All Conf Champs; Must have 7 FBS victories minimum or 6 w/ win over end-of-reg-season Top 25)
5 G5 Auto-Bids
6 At-Large (1 IND if in Top 14; 2 IND if 2nd is in Top 8; ONLY 2 Teams per Conference unless 3rd is in Top 8, then max ends at 3)

Some folks (in the SEC) might cry foul -- but it wouldn't be a playoff of the TOP 16 RANKED teams. It would be a playoff of the teams who WON their (conference) playoff and a smaller group of at-larges who are ranked really high to fill it out.

In the NCAA Tourney, it's not aimed nor supposed to be The Top 64 teams in the nation in basketball. Same with a 16-team playoff for Football. If a #9 SEC team whines about not getting in -- sorry, you came in 4th place in the SEC. There's already 3 in there. You were FAR away from making it to your conference championship, buddy -- you already "lost" in the playoff hunt.

Others will say "Hey, that's no fair that an ECU, NIU, or Boise get an easier path to it, and ranked way lower getting in!" Ummm, yes it is. You choose to be in a tougher conference bringing tons of $$ into it -- you have an bigger hill to climb to get to the Final playoffs. Don't want that? Join the MAC.

That will never happen. Look for quick expansion to a six team tournament but going much farther makes for redundancy. A six team tournament benefits the regular season by allowing the top two ranked teams a bye which then gives them an advantage in the Semifinal round thus setting the table in the best way possible for a #1 vs #2 Final game. When you go to 8 or more, that starts getting murky.
10-19-2014 04:35 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(10-19-2014 02:16 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  
(10-19-2014 11:28 AM)FloridaJag Wrote:  ++1 That would be the Big Ten and Big 12 this year.

We will agree to disagree. I believe Oregon would beat OSU on a neutral field. Last two weeks, Oregon has won at UCLA and at one point was up 42-10. Then this past week they beat Washington by 25, and that's not good enough? Granted, OSU's offense is rolling right now. They've scored over 50 in 4 straight games, but they're having been playing against decent defenses. Let's see what they do to Penn State this week.

Actually Rutgers defense has been "decent" until this week. Ohio State if they played VT today would hang 60 on them. They might not roll MSU but they're going to put up points only last year's MSU defense would have had a chance at stopping that machine. Rutgers showed yesterday that we are as we had thought hopelessly, hilariously outgunned for Big Ten play.
10-19-2014 06:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.