Temple 1
10-18-2014 10:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Coaches vote on which G5 is most worthy of P5 inclusion
Houston's level of respect will chap the asses of some fans who find themselves slightly lower.

Still, the only thing that matters is money.
10-18-2014 10:13 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
This poll is very confusing as to reasoning.
10-18-2014 10:55 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
The results are mostly based on previous years reputations.
10-18-2014 10:58 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Thirty four coaches didn't vote. That is a quarter of the eligible votes. My guess is that a very large majority of those "missing" votes come from P5 coaches.
10-18-2014 11:01 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-18-2014 11:01 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Thirty four coaches didn't vote. That is a quarter of the eligible votes. My guess is that a very large majority of those "missing" votes come from P5 coaches.

I'd actually think it'd come from a lot of SBC, MAC, and CUSA coaches quite frankly. Why elevate other G5 programs?
10-18-2014 11:49 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(10-18-2014 11:49 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(10-18-2014 11:01 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Thirty four coaches didn't vote. That is a quarter of the eligible votes. My guess is that a very large majority of those "missing" votes come from P5 coaches.

I'd actually think it'd come from a lot of SBC, MAC, and CUSA coaches quite frankly. Why elevate other G5 programs?

Why not? It's not like this poll actually has any meaning or anything will come of it. I am pretty sure they are sensible enough to realize that.

Not voting is more likely to come from a lack of giving a ****. Every G5 coach and school gives a **** about stuff like this.

You may be right, who knows. We never will and this poll will be forgotten, rather quickly.
10-18-2014 11:52 PM
CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
Every G5 team is worthy because if we had the financial resources that the P5s had we could compete.

There are really only a handful of programs that truly can't compete at the highest level.
10-18-2014 11:58 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
^^^^^^^^
THIS
10-19-2014 12:02 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(10-18-2014 11:58 PM)CoogNellie Wrote:  Every G5 team is worthy because if we had the financial resources that the P5s had we could compete.

There are really only a handful of programs that truly can't compete at the highest level.

I disagree.

A lot of the schools in the G5 don't win because they have crappy game atmospheres and limited recruiting base. Compare UTEP to how well Houston has performed over the years. Houston has the local recruiting base and UTEP doesn't.

Georgia Southern is doing more in its first year in FBS ball than some programs have done in 20 years. Look at their recruiting state and their tradition.

Boise State was on ESPN a LOT back before many programs were on TV. They say tradition never dies and they are on pace to win another MW championship.
10-19-2014 12:28 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
I think it's just as telling that no one school got more than 24 per cent of the votes. You would think that if there was a school that was truly deserving, there would be a majority that would pick that particular school. It says to me that no school warrants much consideration for inclusion into the club and there is no compelling reason to bring anyone else in.

But like Heinous said, the poll means nothing. If a conference somehow determines that it wants to add members, neither this poll nor the opinions of the public in general will have a bearing on who makes the short list.
10-19-2014 12:32 AM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(10-19-2014 12:32 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  I think it's just as telling that no one school got more than 24 per cent of the votes. You would think that if there was a school that was truly deserving, there would be a majority that would pick that particular school. It says to me that no school warrants much consideration for inclusion into the club and there is no compelling reason to bring anyone else in.

But like Heinous said, the poll means nothing. If a conference somehow determines that it wants to add members, neither this poll nor the opinions of the public in general will have a bearing on who makes the short list.

uconn getting just 2% is pretty telling IMO
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 12:36 AM by john01992.)
10-19-2014 12:36 AM
CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

There will probably always be some bitterness towards UConn since they got into a BCS conference without 'earning it.'
10-19-2014 12:40 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Not saying the talk is coming from you but I'd say being a charter member of a conference that happened to be in the club is earning it. Without the conference they started, the entire original Big East minus Temple wouldn't be where they are today.

If anything, it was South Florida that should draw the ire of the best of the G5, as some G5 members were having players win Heismans, going to major bowls and winning national championships long before USF ever played a game of football, let alone at the highest level.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 01:14 AM by C2__.)
10-19-2014 01:14 AM
CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

(10-19-2014 01:14 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Not saying the talk is coming from you but I'd say being a charter member of a conference that happened to be in the club is earning it.

Well if I said the sky was blue you'd probably argue that it was actually an off-shade of purple. If you believe that UConn earned their spot at the BCS table then I think we have very different definitions of the word 'earn.'
10-19-2014 01:45 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
To be argumentative about UConn getting a spot in the old Big East (and thus an AQ league) is like being mad at a child that was born to wealthy parents. It's just life, they didn't "earn" it but they inherited it and no one in their position would turn it down or feel much remorse.

Anyways, I know you didn't say it one way or the other, just making a point.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 02:53 AM by C2__.)
10-19-2014 02:41 AM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(10-19-2014 12:36 AM)john01992 Wrote:  
(10-19-2014 12:32 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  I think it's just as telling that no one school got more than 24 per cent of the votes. You would think that if there was a school that was truly deserving, there would be a majority that would pick that particular school. It says to me that no school warrants much consideration for inclusion into the club and there is no compelling reason to bring anyone else in.

So is having a losing record to that unworthy team...
10-19-2014 07:28 AM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
These are the same people with built in biases that voted Texas and Florida into the top 25 preseseason poll. They obviously don't know squat about who is deserving of anything.
10-19-2014 07:43 AM
PIRATE TERP Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU / MARYLAND
(10-19-2014 01:45 AM)CoogNellie Wrote:  
(10-19-2014 01:14 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Not saying the talk is coming from you but I'd say being a charter member of a conference that happened to be in the club is earning it.

Well if I said the sky was blue you'd probably argue that it was actually an off-shade of purple. If you believe that UConn earned their spot at the BCS table then I think we have very different definitions of the word 'earn.'

COOG: of course the sky is purple 05-mafia 05-stirthepot 04-rock ... aaarrrggghhh!!!
10-19-2014 09:10 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(10-19-2014 07:28 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(10-19-2014 12:36 AM)john01992 Wrote:  

So is having a losing record to that unworthy team...

you always have to be a bitter berry
10-19-2014 09:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.