UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Play calling was terrible
jj1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
After a while t got to be pretty obvious we needed to do more than just run, but we kept at it forever. Kinda a Watson Brown, let's keep it close game plan. Way to many wasted drives. By the time we did have to throw, we were all out of sorts. Of course, we had plenty of penalties, interceptions, etc. Still happy with the team as compared to last season, just really didn't understand our stuberness to stay with the run forever.
10-18-2014 06:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

iam4uab Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: Play calling was terrible
We couldn't run outside because our guys couldn't cut without slipping all over the place, they had our receivers played perfectly all day long and Clements never looked comfortable in the pocket.

It was just an ugly road game.
10-18-2014 06:20 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
(10-18-2014 06:18 PM)jj1 Wrote:  After a while t got to be pretty obvious we needed to do more than just run, but we kept at it forever. Kinda a Watson Brown, let's keep it close game plan. Way to many wasted drives. By the time we did have to throw, we were all out of sorts. Of course, we had plenty of penalties, interceptions, etc. Still happy with the team as compared to last season, just really didn't understand our stuberness to stay with the run forever.

Clements wasn't burning it up with his arm. Having said that, I would like to see Briscoe get a few more shots. Particularly would have been nice to give him some snaps when there was no pressure and we were tearing up UNT.

MTSU has one of the better secondaries I've seen all year as well. So given the success Howard had, the trouble Clements was having, and the strength of the MTSU secondary, I almost understand our overall strategy. Certainly there were some questionable calls here and there, though.
10-18-2014 06:23 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2014 06:20 PM)iam4uab Wrote:  We couldn't run outside because our guys couldn't cut without slipping all over the place, they had our receivers played perfectly all day long and Clements never looked comfortable in the pocket.

I agree. I think our guys had trouble getting traction on MTSU's turf. Not an excuse, but I do think it was something that impacted our players.
10-18-2014 06:23 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(10-18-2014 06:23 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  
(10-18-2014 06:20 PM)iam4uab Wrote:  We couldn't run outside because our guys couldn't cut without slipping all over the place, they had our receivers played perfectly all day long and Clements never looked comfortable in the pocket.

I agree. I think our guys had trouble getting traction on MTSU's turf. Not an excuse, but I do think it was something that impacted our players.

No doubt. I was just about to ask about footwear, and if anyone at the game could tell a noticable difference in their players footing versus our guys footing ?
10-18-2014 06:27 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
This thread is funny. Everybody in the game thread was wanting to run the ball more.
10-18-2014 06:29 PM
Advertisement

blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
(10-18-2014 06:23 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  
(10-18-2014 06:18 PM)jj1 Wrote:  After a while t got to be pretty obvious we needed to do more than just run, but we kept at it forever. Kinda a Watson Brown, let's keep it close game plan. Way to many wasted drives. By the time we did have to throw, we were all out of sorts. Of course, we had plenty of penalties, interceptions, etc. Still happy with the team as compared to last season, just really didn't understand our stuberness to stay with the run forever.

Clements wasn't burning it up with his arm. Having said that, I would like to see Briscoe get a few more shots. Particularly would have been nice to give him some snaps when there was no pressure and we were tearing up UNT.

MTSU has one of the better secondaries I've seen all year as well. So given the success Howard had, the trouble Clements was having, and the strength of the MTSU secondary, I almost understand our overall strategy. Certainly there were some questionable calls here and there, though.

I especially would have liked to have saw Briscoe on that last drive. We needed 2 scores so would have liked Briscoe throwing long for quick scores... then trying the onside kick.
10-18-2014 06:31 PM
iam4uab Offline
All American

(10-18-2014 06:29 PM)Smaug Wrote:  This thread is funny. Everybody in the game thread was wanting to run the ball more.

Haha! I haven't even looked at the game thread except for the last page.

I just can't watch the game and do the forum at the same time. Heck, I can't even pay attention to my kids and watch the game at the same time (as evidenced by the fact that my 8 year old left with a friend during the game and I didn't even know...)
10-18-2014 06:32 PM
jj1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
We didn't even try to pass more than occasionally until later in the second half. Mixing it up could have kept their D guessing and we might have got in a rhythm. I think most of us knew 22 points wasn't going to win this game. Defense had a few lapses, but I thought overall they played well.
10-18-2014 06:33 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB

We couldn't throw it, you saw the picks at the end. Then our other problem we have two good backs when you need a third. Jet sweeps work but you know when they're coming. I knew Whatley would get us sooner or later some thing from last year. I starting to look at the Oline harder, all of Jordans big gains has been called back since FIU. We really need a change of pace back. Also I dont remember Everett getting targeted.
10-18-2014 06:41 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2014 06:41 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  

We couldn't throw it, you saw the picks at the end. Then our other problem we have two good backs when you need a third. Jet sweeps work but you know when they're coming. I knew Whatley would get us sooner or later some thing from last year. I starting to look at the Oline harder, all of Jordans big gains has been called back since FIU. We really need a change of pace back. Also I dont remember Everett getting targeted.

I wonder about getting Backman or Everett involved in some run plays. They may not be as quick as Nelson, but they are fast enough and also not going down on first contact nor as likely to get near-decapitated.
10-18-2014 06:46 PM
Advertisement

jj1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
No we couldn't pass when we were forced too and they knew the run wasn't going to hurt them. We never tried to establish a passing game until it was too late. Just like you want to establish a running game to help the passing, you need to establish a pass threat to continue success with the run. IMHO
10-18-2014 06:46 PM
AnimeBlazer Away
Special Teams

Yes, the play calling for La Tech in their 11am game against the RoadRunner Internet service from Brighthouse was indeed terrible.
10-18-2014 06:49 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
MT had one of the worst pass defenses in the nation. We couldn't take advantage of it. I couldn't watch the whole game. Was Clements just off, Oline not giving him time?
10-18-2014 06:50 PM
AnimeBlazer Away
Special Teams

(10-18-2014 06:50 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  MT had one of the worst pass defenses in the nation. We couldn't take advantage of it. I couldn't watch the whole game. Was Clements just off, Oline not giving him time?

MTSU coaching staff did their homework.
10-18-2014 06:51 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
(10-18-2014 06:50 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  MT had one of the worst pass defenses in the nation. We couldn't take advantage of it. I couldn't watch the whole game. Was Clements just off, Oline not giving him time?

Some of all of it.

We only passed in obvious passing situations, all game.

But in the 1st half, why pass when you can run ?

We regained the the lead in the 3rd and had a strong chance to salt the game away with more continued running. We ran Howard out of gas IMHO.
10-18-2014 06:58 PM
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
(10-18-2014 06:51 PM)AnimeBlazer Wrote:  

MTSU coaching staff did their homework.

agreed. and made better halftime adjustments than we did too.
10-18-2014 06:59 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Thanks.

Their players and coaches have been in these types of games more often. We'll get there. It's always tough to win on the road.
10-18-2014 07:01 PM
kdblazer Offline
All American

Plus base on the commentators the temperature was dropping and Cody has small hands so cold or cool temps plus small hands equal to less than optimal passing.
10-18-2014 07:08 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(10-18-2014 06:58 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  

Some of all of it.

We only passed in obvious passing situations, all game.

But in the 1st half, why pass when you can run ?

We regained the the lead in the 3rd and had a strong chance to salt the game away with more continued running. We ran Howard out of gas IMHO.

We also had untimely penalties. How many times did we go from 3rd and short to 3rd and medium or long? You can be a little aggressive on 3rd and 2. The defense pretty much knows what's coming on 3rd and 7.

Clements showed he can throw a deep ball on that play to staples. There is no consistency with it though, as the int showed.
10-18-2014 07:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.