Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Effect of Game Time on Likliness of Traveling to See Your School Play in Atlanta
I'm a fan of App, Georgia Southern, Troy or South Alabama and I would be more likely to travel to Atlanta if there were a later start time.
I'm a fan of App, Georgia Southern, Troy or South Alabama and I would not be more likely to travel to Atlanta if there were a later start time.
I'm a fan of ULM, UL-L, or Arkansas State and I would be more likely to travel to Atlanta if there were a later start time.
I'm a fan of ULM, UL-L, or Arkansas State and I would not be more likely to travel to Atlanta if there were a later start time.
I'm a fan of Texas State, NMSU, or Idaho and I would be more likely to travel to Atlanta if there were a later start time.
I'm a fan of Texas State, NMSU, or Idaho and I would not be more likely to travel to Atlanta if there were a later start time.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
If Georgia State had later game times would you drive to see your team?
Bookmark and Share
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
If Georgia State had later game times would you drive to see your team?
Okay here is a poll. One of the things often discussed on PantherTalk is the start times of our games. I see that most Sun Belt teams play around 6 or 7 p.m. For whatever reason, Georgia State schedules its game to start at 2 p.m.

So I was curious, you fans for the visiting teams be more likely to attend Georgia State's game against their team in Atlanta if our start times were around 6 or 7 p.m.?

So please vote in the poll.
10-18-2014 01:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: If Georgia State had later game times would you drive to see your team?
I wouldn't worry about making it easier on the opposing team's fans. Figure out what time you can get the most of your fans to show up and play the game then.

(I live in Atlanta so the game time didn't really matter for our game)
10-18-2014 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
I would come regardless, but I actually prefer the afternoon time. Last year it was convenient to play the game in the afternoon and do other things in Atlanta that night.
10-18-2014 02:06 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
No. Too far.
10-18-2014 02:27 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Late Afternoon and Evening games work better for me. Jonesboro to Atlanta is driveable, but for 1:00 CT starts, that means I'm either taking off work early and spending the night in a hotel Friday Night, or leaving Saturday morning at 4am.
10-18-2014 03:08 PM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

(10-18-2014 03:08 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Late Afternoon and Evening games work better for me. Jonesboro to Atlanta is driveable, but for 1:00 CT starts, that means I'm either taking off work early and spending the night in a hotel Friday Night, or leaving Saturday morning at 4am.

That's actually the scenario I was thinking of. If it were a later start, 6 or 7 p.m. ET, you could probably leave around 8 or 9 a.m. CT, and get there by kickoff.
10-18-2014 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

(10-18-2014 01:59 PM)sidslidkid Wrote:  I wouldn't worry about making it easier on the opposing team's fans. Figure out what time you can get the most of your fans to show up and play the game then.

(I live in Atlanta so the game time didn't really matter for our game)

Oh, I agree. But I was just curious - since the driveability of away games was one of the advantages of leaving the CAA.
10-18-2014 03:29 PM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

Don't forget to respond to the poll in addition to commenting. Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2014 03:31 PM by GaStPanthers.)
10-18-2014 03:30 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(10-18-2014 03:28 PM)GaStPanthers Wrote:  
(10-18-2014 03:08 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Late Afternoon and Evening games work better for me. Jonesboro to Atlanta is driveable, but for 1:00 CT starts, that means I'm either taking off work early and spending the night in a hotel Friday Night, or leaving Saturday morning at 4am.

That's actually the scenario I was thinking of. If it were a later start, 6 or 7 p.m. ET, you could probably leave around 8 or 9 a.m. CT, and get there by kickoff.

That's the big thing I see. I don't drink, but many fans do. Assuming you are going to hit up the Atlanta spots after the game and drink, you're probably not going to want to leave right after the game, and end up staying the night. That means 2 nights in a hotel instead of 1 if the game started at 6:00 ET.
10-18-2014 03:49 PM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

I voted NOT more likely because I'll be there either way with only a 3 hour drive.
10-18-2014 04:05 PM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

(10-18-2014 04:05 PM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  I voted NOT more likely because I'll be there either way with only a 3 hour drive.

Thanks! That's how I envisioned the poll to work. If it's not going to affect your decision you wouldn't be more likely to attend because of the later start time.
10-18-2014 04:10 PM
Advertisement

Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

Not sure it makes a difference for a school like GaSt but we decided last year there would be no kickoffs prior to 6pm unless TV made it otherwise. It's usually hot until November here and evening games are just a better atmosphere.

I've said so from the beginning that GaSt will be challenged to build the kind of fan base enjoyed by GS, Troy, App, Texas St, stAte, and ULL. Being in a metro area where half the residents are from out of state and the Georgians are Dawgs and Jackets (and even Eagles) means no real "local" pride or support to provide a foundation.

Maybe like the Falcons and Braves, GaSt can count on transplants to show up to watch bigger schools who will play you to showcase their program in Georgia. That should keep you out of trouble meeting the attendance requirements as well as the occasional competitive season like your sister school UAB is having this year.
10-18-2014 05:23 PM
cmaxwellgsu Offline
Bench Warmer

I voted not more likely since I'm coming from Marietta. I'm actually happy about the 2 pm kickoff, because I can get home after the game earlier.
10-18-2014 07:48 PM
Liberty22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty
I would say no. You schedule your games late you start competing with other late games like GT, Uga, etc. It's better for attendance reasons to not schedule against other teams.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-18-2014 09:31 PM
gsu_paintballer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
I voted no. I like the afternoon games for road opponents, personally.

With that said, I would be there if it was played at 2 AM instead of 2 PM.
10-18-2014 09:45 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
3:30 is the ideal game time for all games. I enjoy one maybe two night games, but 3:30 is best.
10-18-2014 10:14 PM
Advertisement

_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
I'll be in the Nashville area for Thanksgiving and am considering making the drive to Atlanta.

Game time won't have an affect on my decision.
10-18-2014 10:19 PM
appsfan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App State
A later start than 2 or 3:30 would make it less likely for my crew to road trip down. With a 4 1/2 hour drive each way, those times would allow us to avoid hotel costs of an overnight stay.
10-18-2014 10:21 PM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
I live in Warner Robins so it's only around a 1.5 hour drive for me. I'll be there no matter what time the game is so i'm not more likely to go just because of a late game time.
10-18-2014 11:43 PM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

We need some UL-L and ULM fans to vote in the poll!
10-19-2014 06:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.