Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN: who deserves to be in the P5?
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
ESPN: who deserves to be in the P5?
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_...api_public

BYU was voted as the top non-Power 5 school that deserves to be in a Power 5 conference in ESPN's weekly college football poll of the FBS head coaches #1QFor128.

BYU received 24 percent of the votes, edging East Carolina (21 percent) and Boise State (19 percent) in the poll, conducted by ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

Cincinnati and Houston tied for fourth, each receiving 8 percent of the votes. UCF was sixth (6 percent), followed by Marshall (5 percent). Other schools receiving votes: UConn, San Diego State, Fresno State, Navy, SMU and Temple.

Of the 13 schools that received votes, there are seven American Athletic Conference members, three from the Mountain West, two independents and one from Conference USA.

Nearly one-third of the coaches from the Power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12) who voted chose BYU (30 percent), followed by Boise State (16 percent), East Carolina (11 percent), Houston (9 percent) and Cincinnati (7 percent).

Voting Breakdown
Who the Power 5 coaches voted for (by percent): BYU 30; Boise State 16; East Carolina 11; Houston 9; Cincinnati 7; Marshall 5; UCF 5.
Who the Group of 5 coaches voted for (by percent): East Carolina 30; Boise State 22; BYU 20; Cincinnati 8; UCF 8; Houston 6; Marshall 6.

The coaches from the Group of 5 conferences (American, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, Sun Belt) voted East Carolina (30 percent) as the most deserving, then Boise State (22 percent), BYU (20 percent), Cincinnati and UCF, with 8 percent each.
10-18-2014 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Scarlet Cougar Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
RE: ESPN: who deserves to be in the P5?
The usual suspects of course.
10-18-2014 10:21 AM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
well that'[/u]s very nice of them to acknowledge our existence.....now if they only had some pull with the actual people making decisions.....

07-coffee3
10-18-2014 10:24 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Really interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-18-2014 10:30 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Deserves to be in based on what? Because they are winning this year?

If you had taken the same poll last year, UCF may have been on top.
10-18-2014 10:37 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(10-18-2014 10:37 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Deserves to be in based on what? Because they are winning this year?

This.

Any poll that has Marshall more deserving of a P5 invite over UCONN is seriously flawed...
10-18-2014 10:39 AM
Advertisement

ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(10-18-2014 10:37 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Deserves to be in based on what? Because they are winning this year?

Probably right…Perception based on current performance. We all know there are a lot of other factors that would actually go into this matter.
10-18-2014 10:40 AM
KnightMan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCF

Yeah, this is pretty stupid.
10-18-2014 10:40 AM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(10-18-2014 10:39 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

This.

Any poll that has Marshall more deserving of a P5 invite over UCONN is seriously flawed...

No doubt…When I saw them listed the entire poll lost credibility in my mind.
10-18-2014 10:41 AM
SouthPhillyFall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple

Lol. I didn't consider that but it's very true
10-18-2014 10:45 AM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I guess one could argue that they could be taking attendance into consideration as well. BYU is number one in attendance outside of the P5 and ECU is number two.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2014 10:53 AM by ECU-DMB Fanatic.)
10-18-2014 10:52 AM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Mcmurphy is a turd

10-18-2014 10:55 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

3 or 4 years ago and Cincinnati may have been on top.

It is probably no mystery why BYU and ECU topped the poll. P5 crap is football driven and BYU and ECU have the largest football fan bases. Memphis will probably top polls like this in the future if they keep winning and drawing fans.
10-18-2014 10:59 AM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
the whole question is flawed. The real question should be- Why should a league with 10 equal members divide league revenue so that half of the members share 70% and the other half only get 27%?
10-18-2014 11:00 AM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
If you are talking about DESERVES how the hell is Boise St not overwhelmingly number 1?!?!?!?!?!?!
10-18-2014 11:00 AM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

While this is basically an irrelevant exercise, it seems that the coaches are giving high credence to:

1) on field performance

2) football tradition

3) fan support

BYU & ECU have a long tradition of playing solid football, both programs are still currently playing solid football, and their fan support and attendance consistently supersede all programs outside the 'power' conferences.

I don't think that CFB coaches take basketball into consideration hardly at all so that is likely skewing the statistics a bit & why UCONN is behind Marshall, etc.
10-18-2014 11:02 AM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(10-18-2014 11:02 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  

While this is basically an irrelevant exercise, it seems that the coaches are giving high credence to:

1) on field performance

2) football tradition

3) fan support

BYU & ECU have a long tradition of playing solid football, both programs are still currently playing solid football, and their fan support and attendance consistently supersede all programs outside the 'power' conferences.

I don't think that CFB coaches take basketball into consideration hardly at all so that is likely skewing the statistics a bit & why UCONN is behind Marshall, etc.

UCONN is superior to Marshall when it comes to market, athletic budget, flagship status, academics, football attendance, athletic facilities, and pretty much every sport other than football.

The only criteria Marshall leads UCONN in is football performance (the past 4 years - thanks Pasqualoni) and having been an FBS program much longer.
10-18-2014 11:28 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2014 11:28 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

1) on field performance

2) football tradition

3) fan support

UCONN is superior to Marshall when it comes to market, athletic budget, flagship status, academics, football attendance, athletic facilities, and pretty much every sport other than football.

The only criteria Marshall leads UCONN in is football performance (the past 4 years - thanks Pasqualoni) and having been an FBS program much longer.

Marshall doesn't even lead UConn in football performance. UConn has been to the Fiesta bowl after winning the Big East. Marshall has never won CUSA; in fact they rarely ever had a winning record when they were in the same conference as the current AAC teams that were in CUSA. Marshall's success right now comes from playing in an FCS conference with a roster loaded down with non-qualifiers that couldn't get into SEC schools.
10-18-2014 11:36 AM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace

1) on field performance

2) football tradition

3) fan support

ECU and BYU > Boise in game day butts in seats but you can't beat BSU on record and tradition. Dominated last 20 years of CFB
10-18-2014 11:42 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Wow. Who would've thought this would cause hurt feelings?

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2014 11:48 AM by blunderbuss.)
10-18-2014 11:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.