Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Medical advices needed
Bookmark and Share
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Medical advices needed
Growing up i played every sport you could think of. Used to run from summer twin to fairgrounds twice a week. Unfortunately between baseball, football and wrestling i ended up with several injuries which never quite healed properly. Thirteen years ago a racing accident left me with a injured back which i have never been able to recover. Due to this i have slowly added far too much weight and am unable to stand more than couple of minutes at a time without severe pain. The weight gain has gotten to point where it is impossible to even walk to mailbox without pain.

Dr has recommended stomach bypass surgery. Issue is i really do not know if this is best option and the few people i know who have had it were not completely satisfied. So many unanswered questions in my mind. Like what happens when i get down to desired weight, how do i stop losing weight since it is irreversible. What are the health risk involved., Is lap band better, even though there is concern with belt slippage some times?

Last Tiger game i attended security had to bring chair out to gate for me to sit while waiting for gates to open and then to walkway entering the seating area so could rest and get enough energy to climb to seats.

Weird part is my blood pressure and cholesterol numbers are great.
10-16-2014 10:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
RE: Medical advices needed
DDP Yoga, check it out. a guy all beat up (parajumper) who in turn put on a ton of weight. Couldn't walk anymore without braces and support.

as for the bypass, I know a few who have had it. You will eventually stop losing weight as you get down to the level that your new caloric intake matches up with. As far as risks, that is for your doctor to tell you about. It's antectodal, but if your doc recommends it, I'd go for it. I had a friend who should have done it years earlier, but his mom was afraid of it. By the time he finally came around to get it done he had gotten too big and unhealthy so the docs/insurance wouldn't do it. He died about 1.5 years ago at 34.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2014 08:42 AM by MemTigerFan.)
10-17-2014 07:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
There is a movie you need to see.

http://www.crackle.com/c/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead

It can change your life man...really.
You have to change your eating habits. It is a total lifestyle change. You have to find something in your life that is worth changing for...and do it.
No one else can do it for you....
I might recommend something like the Adkins Diet to start off.
I did a variation of it.
For one month I stared off eating nothing but tuna fish...and carrots 3 times a day. (After the first month I started grilling other meats...grilling not frying)
I called it the 'scientific starvation' diet. The tuna was for protein....and the carrots were for fiber and carbohydrates. At some point my body started eating the fat reserves to make up for the decreased amount of sugar that I was missing.
Adkins wants you to take in 30 grams of carbs a day. I did 60.
Avoided the 'brain fuzz' you get early on from Adkins. (Your brain will crave carbs...that is where that fuzziness comes in)
I lost 60 pounds the first month...and was able to get out and walk more.

For knee pains you might have...start taking fish oil and vitamin e.
It works....trust me.
10-17-2014 07:28 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(10-17-2014 07:28 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  There is a movie you need to see.

http://www.crackle.com/c/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead

It can change your life man...really.
You have to change your eating habits. It is a total lifestyle change. You have to find something in your life that is worth changing for...and do it.
No one else can do it for you....
I might recommend something like the Adkins Diet to start off.
I did a variation of it.
For one month I stared off eating nothing but tuna fish...and carrots 3 times a day. (After the first month I started grilling other meats...grilling not frying)
I called it the 'scientific starvation' diet. The tuna was for protein....and the carrots were for fiber and carbohydrates. At some point my body started eating the fat reserves to make up for the decreased amount of sugar that I was missing.
Adkins wants you to take in 30 grams of carbs a day. I did 60.
Avoided the 'brain fuzz' you get early on from Adkins. (Your brain will crave carbs...that is where that fuzziness comes in)
I lost 60 pounds the first month...and was able to get out and walk more.

For knee pains you might have...start taking fish oil and vitamin e.
It works....trust me.

About six years ago I asked the doctor that I was going to what I needed to do to get off blood pressure medicine, that I had been on for five years at that time.

She told me if I could lose 25-30 lbs she would take me off the BP meds. Then she took a piece of paper and wrote down things not to eat; potatoes, pasta, white bread, fried foods, processed foods and just pretty much all the carbs and the sodas, etc.

A week or so later I ran into her at the grocery store and she took me to a couple of aisles and showed me which breads and some snacks that would be OK. I took that info and made up my own diet which was pretty much a high protein diet with cooked greens. I didn't eat junk at lunch and once or twice a week my wife and I would eat out and share a meal.

I lost 30 lbs in four months. I maintained that weight for about five years and it has started to creep back in the last year as I got away from that diet. I bike or walk about three times a week and am trying to get back on that diet but it's hard to do.
10-17-2014 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mphstiger79 Offline
All American

Do what you can. I know you said walking to the mailbox is difficult. Just try doing it a couple of times a day and make slow changes in your diet. Start cutting one thig out at time so you aren't in shock and are less likely to go back to it. Just do small things at a time and it will become more comfortable
10-17-2014 04:50 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
Cut sugary drinks like sodas.
I know experts caution against diet sodas...but they can help wean you off sodas.
I still drink Tab....which uses saccharin as opposed to Nutrasweet...and suffer no harmful effects as a result.
Carbs are your enemy....not calories.
On my diet...I could eat a lot of meat..and balance it with carrots or something with a lot of fiber.
Fiber is important....helps cut down on your sugar you eat. As in 1 gram of carbs will neutralize 1 carb of sugars.

When you lose enough to be able to get out and walk...do it.
Start off small. I know the temptation will be there as a man to push yourself a little bit harder...but do not overdo it.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2014 05:58 PM by EarthBoundMisfit.)
10-18-2014 05:56 PM
Tiger1992 Offline
Special Teams

Water, water, water and more water. It's such a simple thing. We're conditioned that whenever we get pangs, it's hunger and go straight for the carbs/sugar, when most of the time our body is actually thirsty. Start each day with a big glass, 20+ oz, of water and drink steadily throughout the day.

Then, as others have noted, cut out carbs, refined sugars & fried foods.
10-18-2014 06:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.