Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background?
Lord Stanley Offline
L'√Čtoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background?
In the spirit of civility, familiarity and fraternity leading to genuine engagement, here is a thread where posters can share details about themselves. There is no agenda, just a desire to get to know other passengers on this handbasket to hell.

Should you find it appropriate, tell us who you are, what you do, and give some family and life background details that can help other posters find common ground with each other. Details could include your name, family status, where you are from, where you live, school, teams, cars, houses, hobbies, travel - whatever you feel would be of interest to other posters. Include what you feel is appropriate, and leave out what you feel you would like to keep private.

This thread will be moderated, heavily if needed, if there are peanut gallery comments about anyone, anything, or any detail. Please respect the idea of what this thread is trying to accomplish.

10-14-2014 09:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background?
I'm Joey, Navy Vet, coming from a rough background growing up in a tough area. I'm parleying my GI Bill into earning my degree at Pitt. My goal is to be a sports writer.

pc
10-14-2014 10:00 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'√Čtoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background?
My name is Lord Stanley.

I was born in Alabama. I have lived at over 30 residences in Alabama, Illinois (x4) Pennsylvania, Singapore, Delaware, Maryland, Indonesia, California, and now Minnesota. Yes, I move a lot. Travel wise I've been everywhere except Antarctica. I now live in the City of Minneapolis with my wife, two tow-headed boys, a big old lazy American Bulldog, and now some fvcking mice that will. not. die in an old-ass house with lots of character but not nearly enough bathrooms. I do a lot of local volunteering and I have been appointed by the City to two different city councils / committees. I am very proud of this and I am happy to say I brought some sanity to a city that can feel just to the left of Mao sometimes. My hobbies are mid-80s German automobiles, wood working, and DIY. Recently I have taken up tobacco pipe smoking on rare occasions to go along with my enjoyment of American bourbons and blended scotches.

I grew up in Singapore and spent a lot of my college year summers in Jakarta. My father was an oil engineer who helped open up new markets in Asia, specifically SE Asia, starting in the early 80s. He was one of the first American businessmen to successfully close oil deals of any substance in China and in Burma (it's Burma to me until the Junta is overthrown) and all parts in-between. This international expat lifestyle lead me to what I do today, which is Human Resources / Talent Management / Talent Mobility leadership both on the vendor side and the Fortune 500 corporate side. Now I am with a small boutique firm specializing in Talent Mobility Strategic Thought. Small industry, not terribly hard to master, and it has lead me to all corners of the globe. It could be worse.

Lord Stanley is a bar I worked at in DeKalb, IL where I attended Northern Illinois University on an Athletics scholarship. I was pretty good at what I did, and almost qualified for NCAAs. But in my sport, a tenth of a second could be a proverbial mile, so while close time wise, I really wasn't thaaat close. Still, good times were had and the school and the sport remain pretty close to my heart. It has been fun watching NIU jump to national football prominence and NIU is a school on the rise. Finally.

I am thinking of upping the family and exploring heartily encouraging my wife to apply for overseas teaching jobs at private schools. I can work remotely or get a job in my industry just about anywhere on the planet, so hopefully in 2-3 years I'll update this post and tell you all about how cool it is to live in Ulaan Baatar or Perth or Bratislava or Reykjavik or somewhere in between.

I am a Conservative. I believe in fiscal responsibility, a strong national defense, and keeping the government out of people's lives. This is why I do not support limits on marriage, and I with heavy heart support limited choice for abortion. That was a tough one to reconcile but there it is.... I firmly believe in the 2nd Amendment and I am an active conceal and carry permit supporter. I carry when appropriate, leave it at home when appropriate, and never tell anyone except my wife if I am carrying. I have never drawn my weapon and actively find myself avoiding situations where I could get into trouble - which is a good skill to have regardless of my carry status.

When I retire I want a summer cabin up in the Apostles in Wisconsin, a small condo in downtown Chicago, and hopefully some land and a western style cabin in Wyoming in the Bighorn Mountains. And when I die, I want to die quietly, not screaming like the passengers in grandpa's car (almost true story.)
10-14-2014 10:57 PM
DexterDevil Away
The Question

I Root For: EMU
I'm Trenton, I'm from Westland but call Grass Lake, Michigan home (Much prefer the country to crowds). My father is a high school dropout/entrepreneur, owns 6 collision shops with plans to expand larger as well as having spent 5 years owning NASCAR teams (K-Automotive co-owner and Whitney Motorsports) so I work for him pretty much doing everything (slow and with help but learning).

I'm a Eastern Michigan fan (Sparty when it comes to the Big Ten), I love hockey and rugby, drive a 2002 Monte Carlo. Have been to almost every state East of the Mississippi plus Texas, California, and Hawaii.
10-14-2014 11:10 PM

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
I'm gdunn. Born and raised in South Mississippi. I'm a USM grad. My first year out of school I bounced all over the country. I lived in Key West, New Orleans, Staten Island, and Portland-- The one in Oregon. At one point in that year I was on the FBI/ATF pass list to have over 3000 lbs of explosives in my possession. Made for real interesting plane rides when bomb residue was found on my laptops or hard hats. When that job was over, I went to work for another company and I've been at Ft. Bragg, NC; built a Max Security Prison in Mississippi; and currently I'm in Missouri doing another government project.
10-14-2014 11:37 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
My name is Nomad2u2001, a name I first picked for an old yahoo email account in the seventh grade.

Besides having lived in two countries, I come from incredibly average background. My dad was a factory worker before he got the inspiration to go into building and then investing. My mom was an ECON major who didn't know what to do with it until about a year ago. In the meantime she taught government in Canada and NC History in NC before becoming a principal. My average background translated into average grades and such in school, but I've traditionally rocked any test I've ever taken and was actually recognized by the College Board when I got my scores back from the first 2400 SAT session.

I ended up at ECU (the fourth person in my family to attend) and, after realizing that I didn't want to finish with debt, I enlisted in the Coast Guard and went reserve after my initial contract. Visited some pretty cool places in the process. After finally graduating from ECU, I went to work for my dad at his business before moving on to my current job as one of "The IT GUYS" at a call center owned by a large corporation. I want to get a Masters of Accounting to go into IT consulting--I wouldn't call it a dream job, but I really want to do it.

Now I live very near Raleigh with my wife and no kids. I'm an ECU fan all the way and nothing disappoints me more than the lack of a varsity wrestling team. Wrestling is my FAVOURITE sport BTW. My wife is hardcore into cricket and missing a West Indies T20 isn't gonna happen with her around. I also spend a few days a week playing rugby after work.

I'm currently knee deep into writing. I've only shown my stuff to my wife and people in the local meetup group. There's something cool about being able to make your own stories and get on the mic. Maybe I'll seek to be published one day.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2014 11:41 PM by nomad2u2001.)
10-14-2014 11:37 PM
gobluebigjon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: basketball?
Jon, from Toledo OH. 3rd oldest of 17 kids, most adopted. Went to a small college in Ohio, got a piece of paper that said i put my time in, and had a great time there. Have been a UM fan since I was old enough to think for myself thanks to my grandpa on my mom's side, even though there are pictures of me in O$U outfits prior to that. Now live in the Phoenix area and while I enjoy it, I doubt this is where I will retire.
10-15-2014 12:02 AM

TomorrowHerd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pie!!!!

Donators
TomorrowHerd: Born and raised in Germantown, Ohio.
Graduated From Marshall in 1990.
Lived all over the Southeast (8 states and 23 cities) as a regional manager for Applebee's before I went back to college and got my Nursing degree.
Been a Critical Care nurse since 1996.
Lived on the island of Saipan for 13 years, until moving to my present home of Anchorage, Alaska.
Traveled all over SE Asia and Micronesia while there. I am actually leaving in the morning for another 2 week stay in the Philippines.
Working in ANC to financially make up for the time I played on the islands. 03-wink
10-15-2014 04:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BucFyre Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
BucFyre, 32, Female, currently residing in a suburb of Atlanta.

I grew up in Northeast Tennessee and went to East Tennessee State University. My heart bleeds blue and gold for my Bucs but I also grew up a fan of the University of Georgia (sorry GTS), my parent's went there and my dad was on the football team from 1966-69. I've been attending football games in Athens since I was 5.

I've been married twice and I'm in the process of getting divorced from my 2nd husband. I don't think that it's necessarily a secret on this board that my current spouse is a combat veteran who suffers from PTSD and a nasty drinking problem. It was an unhappy and unhealthy situation so I finally decided to get out.

I work in the employee benefits/health insurance world so I have seen a lot of changes in the nature of my business since the ACA has become a reality but it's a needed field and I generally enjoy what I do.
10-15-2014 07:30 AM
49RFootballNow Offline
Kwisatz Haderach

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
My name is 49RFootballNow but my friends call me Muad'dib. I am a Constitutionalist, Conservative and Christian. I have some Libertarian stances on some social issues. I am the Kwisatz Haderach and I ride Shai Hulud on the weekends for fun.

Bless the water!
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2014 09:28 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
10-15-2014 09:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.