Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How did you become a fan?
Bookmark and Share
BlueRaider0x0 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Middle Tenn.
Ok this thread is going on currently on the Sun Belt board and thought it was cool. How did you become a fan of your school?

Me? I had no interest in football for the first 13 years of my life. The first football game I watched intensely I was 13 and it was the Titans vs. Bills and after my dad and brothers left disheartened I watched the Music City Miracle live. I will never forget that. I wasn't interested in college ball until I started MT in 2004 as a freshman and joined the Band of Blue. That first game we played FAU and lost (again) but I was hooked on Blue Raider football. I didn't miss my first home game until 2011 and was heartbroken. Now I listen to the WGNS app (Blue Raider radio) on my iPhone or watch on tv for all games. I do my best to go back for a home game once a year. This year isn't looking good but was able to see my team in Memphis.
10-13-2014 07:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: How did you become a fan?
Alum, same as my dad and my step grandfather went there and walked on to basketball team before going g to uva.

But it was just a piece of paper for me until after I graduated, moved away, and then moved back. Then I started going to bball games. Got season tix for that. Then we got football and the rest is history.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 07:51 PM by bit_9.)
10-13-2014 07:50 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
August 31, 1996. UAB's first night of D1 football.

Paul Finebaum did a parody song for the occasion.

(to the tune of the Beatles' Let It Be)
UAB
UAB
UAB
UAB
Tigers beat the Blazers, 90-3.

I was a UAB student and Auburn fan, until the moment I saw those gold helmets come charging out of the visitors' tunnel at Jordan-Hare.

UAB took about 60 scholarship football players and went toe-to-toe with them for about 3 quarters (trailed 9-0 at the half) before running out of gas. Final, 29-0.

That was the weekend I threw out all my Auburn gear.

I took my daughter to games when she was a wee sprat, and now she's in the marching band.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 08:04 PM by Smaug.)
10-13-2014 08:00 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
I'm pretty sure I was tricked.
10-13-2014 08:01 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
I was but a wee teen watching the UAB v LSU game on television (kick at 9 seconds)

That's the moment I started to cleanse the Crimson poison from my blood.
10-13-2014 08:05 PM
RonBurgundy Offline
Channel 4 News Team

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I was originally a LSU fan for my entire life and time at Tech during my first degree. It was the the 2008 Independence Bowl and I had just graduated from Tech. After the game and a Bulldawg victory I had a moment of clarity like an alcoholic or drug addict when they hit rock bottom. I realized to support a school (LSU) that had done absolutely nothing for me and not support my alma mater who provided me indirectly with a job was the craziest thing ever. Shed my purple and gold and bled red and blue after that. From that moment I was hooked and even went back to Tech the next year for another go around and degree number 2.

"Saturday Night" Livas from the 2008 I-Bowl.

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 08:20 PM by RonBurgundy.)
10-13-2014 08:18 PM
Advertisement

AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
UAB gets the credit.

Having just moved to Norfolk, and knowing very few people, a generous co-worker in January, 1986, invited me to go with him to an ODU men's basketball game at Scope Arena versus Sunbelt opponent UAB.

At some point during the game, some ODU students (allegedly) started throwing ice at the UAB bench, causing Coach Gene Bartow to go into the stands. Several of his players followed him (although they looked none too happy about it). It was a madhouse.

Just as I was recounting the excitement later that evening to my young (and still beautiful) wife, a clip from the incident came up on national Headline News. Although I am not an ODU alum, I've been hooked ever since.
10-13-2014 08:20 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
I had just moved to bowling green ky in 95 and had been a UK fan most of my life and just overall a fan of basketball. I heard that Karem Abdul Jabbar son was playing at the local university and I thought it would be neat to go see him play. I truthfully knew nothing about WKU at that time and had never been to a WKU game before. After that night I fell in love with WKU and have only missed a couple of games over the past 17-18 years. WKU turned out to be a fun environment and a high quality program that I was proud to be part of. I have since built an incredible archive of WKU memberiala and donate and advertise with WKU..........also married a WKU grad later which never hurts
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 08:23 PM by wkuhilltopperfan.)
10-13-2014 08:21 PM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I didn't know much of anything about ODU, let alone their sports until late in my junior year of high school. My (ex now) girlfriend wanted to go to ODU, but I didn't think much of it. By that time, I had my mind set on going to VCU ( I'm sorry), because I lived blocks away from the main campus growing up, but I didn't get in.

I graduated in 08 and went to community college for a year and realized I didn't want to be home anymore. My ex gf didn't get into ODU and I had just found out after a year of not marching, that ODU was starting a Marching Band and there was going to be a new football team. I've been here since Fall of 09. I was part of the first ODU marching band, witness to our first game vs. Chowan. I had the great opportunity of going to New Orleans to see our basketball team beat Notre Dame and almost beat Baylor in the NCAA tournmanet. It was a great time for me to become an ODU fan and I wouldn't change it for anything.
10-13-2014 08:27 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
My parents are both USM grads and they would take my brothers and myself to games all the time for football, basketball and baseball from the time I was old enough to walk. It also helped that my best friend's dad was the PA announcer for football and basketball at USM so I would go with them if my parents couldn't go.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2014 11:04 AM by usm99.)
10-13-2014 08:33 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(10-13-2014 08:01 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  I'm pretty sure I was tricked.

03-lmfao
10-13-2014 08:41 PM
Advertisement

nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
My father took me when I was very young...
10-13-2014 08:57 PM
herdfan2013 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
My first sporting event was Sept 7, 1991 when Marshall played New Hampshire. I was just short of 9 months old. That was the first game at Joan C Edwards Stadium. Haven't missed many games since. Current MU student on the 10-year plan (which is why my name has changed a few times until I got tired of changing it).
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 09:06 PM by herdfan2013.)
10-13-2014 09:05 PM
Timo99 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte
I grew up a NC State fan due to both my parents and older brother graduating and attending there. I started off at community college, then ended up transferring to Charlotte. I fell in love with our athletics and university immediately, despite the decline in our basketball program. With the promise of football, it was very exciting to attend Charlotte. I am a proud alumni, and a die hard fan. Once I have a little more money to spare, I plan on donating to our athletic program, and look forward to attending more games. I also plan on having lots of little Niners to take to games with me 03-2thumbsup
10-13-2014 09:08 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
grew up walking distance to campus. older neighborhood kid was a western fan. had no money. we'd go to every football game. stare through the fence until halftime and get in free to watch rest of game.

listened to every western hoops game on the radio. pretended to be western players in backyard games.

enlisted in marine corps out of hs instead of western. have taken several classes of interest on the hill.

oldest son graduated western in 09. his wife in 11.

youngest son will graduate in spring of 15.

all in laws are western grads. i've been a western fan through more highs than lows but a western fan even through the worst times.

i still keep in touch with the neighborhood kid that made me a western fan. he works at western now.

having spent 4 years in military towns i never underestimate what western brings to bowling green. much better being a university town.
10-13-2014 09:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
Father was a student at Marshall during the time of the plane crash. Met my mother there as well and my older brother also went there. I have been a fan since i was a kid in the 90's. Was a student at marshall from 03 to 07, and a big green member for several years. I have missed maybe 3 games in the last 13 years. Ihave been in the joan on satudays (and tuesdays etc) through thick and thin, the golden years and the dark ages (snyder) and now that is why it means so much to be coming back into the light once again. Go Herd!
10-13-2014 09:32 PM
Advertisement

DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
Never really had a team growing up. I was a casual Texas longhorn fan.

I really have to thank the coaches that recruited me for getting me to go to UAB. uAB was a blessing in disguise. I got an awesome degree which only a handful of schools offer and had a great experience and multiple offers before I graduated.

I have bled Green and Gold ever since I stepped foot on campus. I see only good things happening at UAB with athletics and also partnering with the city to help revitalize downtown Birmingham.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-13-2014 09:34 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
My stepfather followed Bradshaw from Woodlawn High School, to Tech, to the Steelers. He used to take me to Tech's homecoming games every year when I was a kid. Then it worked out that they had the degree program I wanted so I ended up getting my degree from Tech.
10-13-2014 09:45 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
I grew up going to MT sports events, since my family works at the university. I have blue blood through and through and I remember going to each and every MT football game until I moved to Miami. Some MT fans would recognize me I'm sure as I am very very vocal at basketball games and a longtime season ticket holder for both the ladies and the men. Now I try to go to one football game a year (usually can make it to basketball games in wintertime since I have time off then). I went to the U of Miami and I am also a die-hard Canes fan because of that. It's great to be a Miami Hurricane and a Blue Raider!!
10-13-2014 11:12 PM
keebler645 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
Both parents Marshall alums. Grew up near Huntington. Started going to home games regularly in 1991 when I was 6, which happened to be the first year of our current stadium and beginning of the run that saw us become the winningest team of the 90's. Didn't have to endure a losing season until I was 20.

Never missed a home game from the ages of 6 to 17 until my Senior Homecoming. She wasn't worth it.
10-14-2014 03:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.