Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Week 8: Open thread
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Week 8: Open thread
Some thoughts to get things started..

What TV time slot do you prefer (home or away)? Our game against SMU didn't draw stellar ratings in the 12:00 slot. It will be interesting to see the ratings this week. Our game this week followed Clemson/UL match. Anyone think a few casual football fans linger for games?

AAC is a very fun league, lots of parity. Any team here really can win a conference game on any given Saturday. Sucks that some teams have very tough OOC or didn't "click" from the beginning. Although, how often does that happen? Would be nice to see more mid-season matchups against the P5 instead of playing them right out of the gate.

6 teams undefeated. Very hard to do. For us to win out means winning 10 games in a row...

bye week coming up so I'm looking forward to the extra time to watch AAC games. 04-cheers
10-13-2014 05:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

RE: Week 8: Open thread
"Open thread"? So I can post ANYTHING here?

Great - random note. Breon Allen is averaging 8.3 yards per carry this season, the same as his average yards per catch. I just think that's interesting.

As for game time, I like 7pm if it's hot out and 3 or 3:30 once it cools off.
10-13-2014 05:45 PM
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
Definitely the 8pm Saturday night slot! It doesn't get better than that. Beautiful 70 degree weather, no sun, and a day full of tailgating.
10-13-2014 05:52 PM
Advertisement

Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
I prefer Saturday games. And late Saturday games 3:30 or even 7:30-8 ish games once and a while.

The AAC is an upgrade for ECU without a doubt. I love this league. I expect to see less P5 match-ups as the P5 does more scheduling alliances with each other since its getting quite expensive for OOC games. Also fewer OOC for the P5 as they play bigger conference schedules. I expect to see more scheduling among G5s.
10-13-2014 06:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ECU_Pirate Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
(10-13-2014 06:58 PM)Danger in Carolina Wrote:  I prefer Saturday games. And late Saturday games 3:30 or even 7:30-8 ish games once and a while.

The AAC is an upgrade for ECU without a doubt. I love this league. I expect to see less P5 match-ups as the P5 does more scheduling alliances with each other since its getting quite expensive for OOC games. Also fewer OOC for the P5 as they play bigger conference schedules. I expect to see more scheduling among G5s.

i dont. I think we are fortunate to be surrounded by a plethora of P5 schools who will schedule us. VT, WVU, UNC. I think we need to continuing scheduling the way we do. I like the 1 FCS game and 3 FBS games. If we do change maybe schedule a peer FBS program home and home long term and two cartel schools home and home.
10-13-2014 07:46 PM
Advertisement

fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
This week we find out about Temple. (v. Houston)

10-14-2014 09:57 AM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
I prefer Saturday games, but will take the reality of Thursday and Friday games.

Once this conference stabilizes, I expect to see 3-4 teams rise to a nationally-competitive level. We don't need (and I don't want) parity. Parity does not lead to national respect. Every P5 conference has 2-3 top teams. Even the SEC is finding out that conference parity leads to cannibalism.

In Basketball, I see 7 teams (UC, UConn, Temple, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Tulsa) in the NCAA tourney every year with the AAC winning our share of men's and women's titles.

In Baseball, we need to improve the conference. Houston is there, but the overall quality of play needs to improve across the conference.

Football's had a rough start, but UCF and ECU have represented the AAC well and the rest of the programs will improve.
10-14-2014 11:51 AM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(10-14-2014 11:51 AM)mac6115cd Wrote:  I prefer Saturday games, but will take the reality of Thursday and Friday games.

Once this conference stabilizes, I expect to see 3-4 teams rise to a nationally-competitive level. We don't need (and I don't want) parity. Parity does not lead to national respect. Every P5 conference has 2-3 top teams. Even the SEC is finding out that conference parity leads to cannibalism.

In Basketball, I see 7 teams (UC, UConn, Temple, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Tulsa) in the NCAA tourney every year with the UCONN winning our share of men's and women's titles.

In Baseball, we need to improve the conference. Houston is there, but the overall quality of play needs to improve across the conference.

Football's had a rough start, but UCF and ECU have represented the AAC well and the rest of the programs will improve.

FIFY 04-cheers
10-14-2014 12:00 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(10-13-2014 07:46 PM)ECU_Pirate Wrote:  
(10-13-2014 06:58 PM)Danger in Carolina Wrote:  I prefer Saturday games. And late Saturday games 3:30 or even 7:30-8 ish games once and a while.

i dont. I think we are fortunate to be surrounded by a plethora of P5 schools who will schedule us. VT, WVU, UNC. I think we need to continuing scheduling the way we do. I like the 1 FCS game and 3 FBS games. If we do change maybe schedule a peer FBS program home and home long term and two cartel schools home and home.

The committees first rankings are going to be very interesting to see. What if they came out and ranked Marshall above ECU just simply because they were undefeated? Not that I expect it, but if something like that were to happen I think all of us would need to reevaluate what we are doing OOC scheduling wise. Conversely, if like I'd expect ECU is rated above Marshall you might see more of the "better" G5's playing more P5 games because the gain from winning is greater than the harm from losing.
10-14-2014 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Knightshift Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
Nothing beats a Saturday night game, 6 or 7 PM, IMO. I guess its because that is pretty much all UCF played in our earlier years in the 80's and 90's, so that's what I'm used to. But, TV.......and GOL to a lesser degree.......changed all that. I accept it for what it is, but I will always prefer Saturday night. Friday night game I don't mind that much. If we have a Friday night game at home at all, it's usually just one, so people who whine about Friday being for high school football need to get over it. Any other night just plain sucks. I deal with it because there's no other choice, but I don't like it, and never will. Playing weeknight games can be a double-edged sword, too. If win a weeknight game, I will still want to watch other games on Saturday. If we lose, I will be in a far too pissy mood to watch anything else all weekend.

Even though we're on CBSSN next week for Temple, I'm happy as a clam to have the Saturday 5pm time slot. I'm cringing at what the attendance will be like this Saturday for Tulane. Unless its a popular opponent, we just don't draw well for noon games. Heck, even some of the die-hards I know can't make it this week. Pi$$es me off, knowing how many noon games we'll have in this league, but that's the way it is.
10-14-2014 12:26 PM
Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
(10-13-2014 07:46 PM)ECU_Pirate Wrote:  

I'm not suggesting we stop trying to schedule P5 teams, I'm suggesting its going to get harder and harder to do what we've done this year with 3 good P5 teams. Its going to be harder to get these teams for a home and home series because market value of OOC games is going sky high. That's why tOSU was willing to pay Cincy so much for a home game...they recouped the cost on ticket sales. It's a sad byproduct of the division in football.

In the long run...while I love the AAC...I hope we do move up to P5.
10-14-2014 01:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.