Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oh please Huckabee. Please do. Take them all with you.
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Oh please Huckabee. Please do. Take them all with you.
Quote:"If the Republicans want to lose guys like me and a whole bunch of still God-fearing, Bible-believing people, go ahead and just abdicate on this issue [gay marriage] — and go ahead and say abortion doesn't matter, either," Mr. Huckabee said, during an interview on the American Family Association's "Today's Issues" radio show. "Because at that point, you lose me. I'm gone. I'll become an independent. I'll start finding people that have guts to stand. I'm tired of this."

http://reason.com/blog/2014/10/13/huckab...-gop-backs
10-13-2014 10:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Oh please Huckabee. Please do. Take them all with you.
I agree with the Governor. These are issues and important ones and the people who care about them should have a voice within the party.

The Dems played the hand perfectly and as long as the Republican party is split they will control the White House.
10-13-2014 10:46 AM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
A big Republican dilemma to be sure.
10-13-2014 10:54 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(10-13-2014 10:46 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I agree with the Governor. These are issues and important ones and the people who care about them should have a voice within the party.

The Dems played the hand perfectly and as long as the Republican party is split they will control the White House.

The dems aren't playing a hand. This is what they believe in.

This is all on the Republicans. They're holding onto a position that has long since left.

Go watch the video of Ted Olson and Chris Wallace (on Fox 'news' no less) where they pretty much double-team and take down the FRC guy. Perkins can in no way articulate how gay marriage harms him in any way...because it just doesn't.

Until the Republicans figure out that the legal definition of gay marriage does not have to equal their biblical definition of it, they will continually lose on this issue.
10-13-2014 11:16 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
So a Woman can abort a baby at 7-8 months and Liberals are ecstatic , but same Woman has delivered a baby and dumps it in trash bin, Then it's Murder. That's every bit as Fuced up as the late term abortion but it's the Womans choice to abort by Liberal set law. Neither are good outcomes. Babies never should be killed off. Most are for convenience of Mother not wanting kid to begin with. Contraceptives are to prevent pregnancy. Use Them.
10-13-2014 11:31 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I think it's time for republicans to tell the Religious Right, "Look, we're not going to be hostage to you any longer. We're still going to be a lot closer to your position than the other guys are going to be, so if you have any sense you'll stay with us."

This is where the left is smarter than the right. They're always just nudging the ball a little left with each election. They'll vote enthusiastically for someone who is just slightly left of his/her opponent. The religious right is all "my way or the highway." They are chasing away the 50% who don't believe in either side's extreme positions, and that's the 50% they need to win elections.

Democrats campaign in the middle and operate far left when in office. Republicans campaign on the right and then govern in the middle. Democrats will always win out in the end based on those parameters.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 11:35 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
10-13-2014 11:33 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(10-13-2014 11:33 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think it's time for republicans to tell the Religious Right, "Look, we're not going to be hostage to you any longer. We're still going to be a lot closer to your position than the other guys are going to be, so if you have any sense you'll stay with us."

This is where the left is smarter than the right. They're always just nudging the ball a little left with each election. They'll vote enthusiastically for someone who is just slightly left of his/her opponent. The religious right is all "my way or the highway." They are chasing away the 50% who don't believe in either side's extreme positions, and that's the 50% they need to win elections.

Democrats campaign in the middle and operate far left when in office. Republicans campaign on the right and then govern in the middle. Democrats will always win out in the end based on those parameters.

This. Let them leave. My guess is that a ton of independents that are conservative leaning will take their place.
10-13-2014 11:36 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-13-2014 11:16 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(10-13-2014 10:46 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I agree with the Governor. These are issues and important ones and the people who care about them should have a voice within the party.

Until the Republicans figure out that the legal definition of gay marriage does not have to equal their biblical definition of it, they will continually lose on this issue.

Here's my problem with this Tom.. I would wager MOST (not all!) Conservatives (and I'd say Libertarians) would say "it's a states' right issue".

But it's the FEDERAL courts (the 9th court in particular) that are saying: "It's not a states' choice, you have to approve gay marriage". Why do you think the Supreme Court has issues in taking up almost any case on gay marriage?

Not because they agree with the Federal court, but that the federal govt. shouldn't be involved on that issue.

So it's kind of hard to fight when you've got the Federal court system sticking their nose in something that should never have been a federal issue, so it furthers the "spin" that Republicans are opposed to gay marriage.

As for Mr. Compassionate Conservative Huckabee.. if you hated Bush for being known as a "Compassionate conservative", Huckabee would be a million times worse.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 11:38 AM by DaSaintFan.)
10-13-2014 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
If the republicans want to be more attractive to the increasingly secular United States, they need to distance themselves from people like Huckabee.
10-13-2014 11:38 AM
BobL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
Socially the center has shifted...gay marriage, legalizing pot, etc. once considered extreme are now issues that the majority of Americans support.

Of all my republican friends all but one that I can think of support Gay Marriage and legalizing pot.

The GOP would help itself if in fact they would move to the center on social issues even if it meant losing the religious right.

Equal rights for all American is a federal issue not a state issue. The Court wont take on this issue because they dont want to rule in favor of equality as the US Constitution would require.
10-13-2014 12:13 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(10-13-2014 11:33 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think it's time for republicans to tell the Religious Right, "Look, we're not going to be hostage to you any longer. We're still going to be a lot closer to your position than the other guys are going to be, so if you have any sense you'll stay with us."

LMAO - you are so far wrong on that.

Dems like Clinton, Obama are right of center - and the Republicans in power claim to be moderate but are far-right extremists.
10-13-2014 12:16 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-13-2014 11:36 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

This. Let them leave. My guess is that a ton of independents that are conservative leaning will take their place.

And here's the election math. Swapping 10 million Jesus freaks for 10 million fiscally conservative independents is a huge gain. Because a lot of the latter group count as 2 votes, 1 more for republicans and 1 less for democrats.

And after one election cycle, a lot of those Jesus freaks are going to figure out that nobody who is 100% aligned with them is EVER going to win a national election, so it's probably a lot better for them to vote for somebody who agrees with them 60% of the time than to let someone who agrees with them 0% of the time get elected.

I think it's incredibly important to republicans to retake the senate this year, so I wouldn't go changing things now. But I think it would be worth 4 years of Hillary to get this change made in 2016.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 12:21 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
10-13-2014 12:17 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

(10-13-2014 11:31 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  So a Woman can abort a baby at 7-8 months and Liberals are ecstatic , but same Woman has delivered a baby and dumps it in trash bin, Then it's Murder. That's every bit as Fuced up as the late term abortion but it's the Womans choice to abort by Liberal set law. Neither are good outcomes. Babies never should be killed off. Most are for convenience of Mother not wanting kid to begin with. Contraceptives are to prevent pregnancy. Use Them.

You'll be hard pressed to find ANYONE pro 8 month abortion bro.
10-13-2014 12:27 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(10-13-2014 11:31 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  So a Woman can abort a baby at 7-8 months and Liberals are ecstatic, but same Woman has delivered a baby and dumps it in trash bin, Then it's Murder. That's every bit as Fuced up as the late term abortion but it's the Womans choice to abort by Liberal set law. Neither are good outcomes. Babies never should be killed off. Most are for convenience of Mother not wanting kid to begin with. Contraceptives are to prevent pregnancy. Use Them.

That's patently ridiculous.

I know of no liberal in favor of that. But since you said it, what basis are you using for that? Who has said they're in favor of that or would be ecstatic for it? You have to some evidence to base that opinion on don't you?

For me, I've stated my position on this issue many times...you can so search if you don't believe me.

But again, I want abortion to stay legal as it is now. That being said, I would never counsel a woman to have an abortion except for the cases of rape or incest or for the life/health of the mother or baby.

And I want a consensus arrived at for when a fetus is viable and all abortions beyond that point should be illegal, other than in the exception cases I laid out above, unless those cases were known and nothing was done before the viability date.

So, you should either retract that comment of provide a legitimate basis for it.

Thanks.
10-13-2014 12:52 PM
BobL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
(10-13-2014 11:31 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  So a Woman can abort a baby at 7-8 months and Liberals are ecstatic , but same Woman has delivered a baby and dumps it in trash bin, Then it's Murder. That's every bit as Fuced up as the late term abortion but it's the Womans choice to abort by Liberal set law. Neither are good outcomes. Babies never should be killed off. Most are for convenience of Mother not wanting kid to begin with. Contraceptives are to prevent pregnancy. Use Them.

01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle
10-13-2014 01:13 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(10-13-2014 12:52 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(10-13-2014 11:31 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  So a Woman can abort a baby at 7-8 months and Liberals are ecstatic, but same Woman has delivered a baby and dumps it in trash bin, Then it's Murder. That's every bit as Fuced up as the late term abortion but it's the Womans choice to abort by Liberal set law. Neither are good outcomes. Babies never should be killed off. Most are for convenience of Mother not wanting kid to begin with. Contraceptives are to prevent pregnancy. Use Them.

That's patently ridiculous.

I know of no liberal in favor of that. But since you said it, what basis are you using for that? Who has said they're in favor of that or would be ecstatic for it? You have to some evidence to base that opinion on don't you?

For me, I've stated my position on this issue many times...you can so search if you don't believe me.

But again, I want abortion to stay legal as it is now. That being said, I would never counsel a woman to have an abortion except for the cases of rape or incest or for the life/health of the mother or baby.

And I want a consensus arrived at for when a fetus is viable and all abortions beyond that point should be illegal, other than in the exception cases I laid out above, unless those cases were known and nothing was done before the viability date.

So, you should either retract that comment of provide a legitimate basis for it.

Thanks.

Do you so enthusiastically work as the self-appointed "enforcer" of these new guidelines when it is someone on the left side of the aisle making claims? You sure have embraced calling people out and making a fuss over things, haven't you? smh
10-13-2014 01:20 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

Trading a solid voting block for imaginary moderates is NOT a good move.

That line of thinking is a symptom of getting beat like a drum by somebody who is for all intents and purposes a knuckle dragging moron. It's desperation and clambering for anything to explain what is going on and why things have gotten so bad.

You wanna know where the problems really are? The economic system. The problem is in the fact the Republicans have supported theft and corporate greed while painting a bright smily face on it. The problem is the perception that Republicans want to push grandma off the cliff and kick every single mother on food stamps out in the cold, which, hell, they do. Well, they want to do that while handing out billions in tax cuts to the people who will pad their share price by firing 10,000 workers and shipping those jobs to Mexico. You started a war and wrecked the economy. You started a war and destroyed civil liberties.

The problems in the Republican party are a lot deeper than social issues and using Christians as a scape goat is just grotesque. It's playing into the other side's hand. Yes, please, destroy your party and the debate on important issues by self destructing over Christianity, hate, racism, and gays. Hell, it's the perfect storm that threatens to wipe away every single facet of the Conservative movement.

Gay marriage is a side issue. Abortion is a side issue. You don't make decisions about the future of your party based on side issues.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 01:44 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
10-13-2014 01:37 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(10-13-2014 01:37 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The problem is in the fact the Republicans have supported theft and corporate greed while painting a bright smily face on it.

But not the Democrats?
10-13-2014 01:45 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

Quote:Do you so enthusiastically work as the self-appointed "enforcer" of these new guidelines when it is someone on the left side of the aisle making claims? You sure have embraced calling people out and making a fuss over things, haven't you? smh

While he shouldn't necessarily HAVE to substantiate such an outrageous claim, he does look rather silly if he doesn't. No?
10-13-2014 01:45 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-13-2014 01:45 PM)RaiderATO Wrote:  
(10-13-2014 01:37 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The problem is in the fact the Republicans have supported theft and corporate greed while painting a bright smily face on it.

But not the Democrats?

Blame game.. NEXT

It's hard to lose an election when you can point to the disaster of spending, spending, loosening of regulations, and spending that was the Bush years. Add that to the economic catastrophe we are all still living it and it's an easy sell.

Have the Dems been awful? Absolutely but they have a nicer excuse. People will vote for anybody they think can help them.

It's as true now as it's ever been, people vote with their wallets.

People want to see groups they feel are out of control reigned in.

Trust me, I think it is despicable and awful that the Dems are no different but they just outright lie and that seems to work but what the Dems do and say has nothing to do, at all, with problems within the Republican party. Those problems are our own.
10-13-2014 01:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.