Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UCF QB question
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
UCF QB question
If you had to rely on the first QB you played before Holman for the entire season. How would you think the year would play out?

Just curious.
10-12-2014 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
RE: UCF QB question
We'd have been lucky to come out of the Bethune-Cookman game with a win, let's put it that way. I'm not one to speak in hyperbole or unfairly judge college kids for not being great or performing adequately, but that was probably the worst QB play I have ever seen at UCF. And we've had some doozies in the past.
10-12-2014 01:13 PM
Yung Knight Offline
Water Engineer

Literally the only reason Dinovo started was because he was the least prone to turnovers and better pre snap.
10-12-2014 01:21 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-12-2014 01:21 PM)Yung Knight Wrote:  Literally the only reason Dinovo started was because he was the least prone to turnovers and better pre snap.

Meaning his passes were so bad and off target that even the defenders couldn't catch them unless they were out of place.
10-12-2014 01:25 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
I dunno... I think we would be about the same. Holman isn't exactly tearing it up. 56% completion percentage (73 of 130)

The offense is sputtering along because of the skill positions around him. Defense keeping us competitive in most games. All we can hope to do is improve week to week.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 01:44 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
10-12-2014 01:39 PM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

UCF QB question
Our problem is the oline isn't settled and our run game has sucked. I think Holman will get better he jus needs to learn touch. To the op our defense couldn't have saved us as they would have been tired. I would have expected a usf season like last year. Holman threw the ball 51 times against byu. We need him to run more as well

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-12-2014 01:43 PM
Advertisement

cretv Offline
Special Teams

(10-12-2014 01:39 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  I dunno... I think we would be about the same. Holman isn't exactly tearing it up. 56% completion percentage (73 of 130)

The offense is sputtering along because of the skill positions around him. Defense keeping us competitive in most games. All we can hope to do is improve week to week.

I kind of agree. Dinovo was supposedly more consistent in fall practice. I would think he can do okay vs mediocre opponents because the skill positions are really doing most of the work. Then again, it seems like we would have beat Penn St with Holman playing all game.
10-12-2014 02:03 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-12-2014 01:39 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  I dunno... I think we would be about the same. Holman isn't exactly tearing it up. 56% completion percentage (73 of 130)

You've forgotten just how terribly DiNovo played in the Penn State game if you're comparing Holmans stats as if they're even close to comparable. QB ratings of 56.4 to 134.0 says otherwise.

DiNovo was 3-8 for 18 yards against Penn State, without a single TD thrown in 3 quarters. Holman is rough around the edges, he definitely needs polishing and an oline that can establish the rush, but they're not even close to comparable. With DiNovo, we lose the Bethune-Cookman game.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 02:20 PM by UCF08.)
10-12-2014 02:19 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I'm just saying we aren't winning games because of Holman. He sucks a little less than DiNovo. DiNovo might of had a bad case of Deer in the Headlights for all we know. Freshman start against Penn State in Ireland is pretty rough. For all we know Patti or Harris could be just as good as Holman.
10-12-2014 02:28 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

For all the poo flinging at DiNovo for completing 37.5% (3 of 8) vs Penn State

Holman has 33% completion game (6 of 18) vs Houston.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 02:58 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
10-12-2014 02:56 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-12-2014 02:56 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  For all the poo flinging at DiNovo for completing 37.5% (3 of 8) vs Penn State

Holman has 33% completion game (6 of 18) vs Houston.

Yeah, Holman also threw for 2 TD's, 100 yards, and rushed for 39 yards in that game. In the Penn State game, DiNovo threw for 18 yards, 0 touchdowns, and rushed for -3 yards. Throw aside any conjecture on your part (deer in headlights/maybe he'd be better/etc) and focus on those stats. They're not even close, and claiming they are makes you look poorly informed or irrational.

Holman isn't Bortles, and he's got a long way to go before ever touching him, but DiNovo is objectively far, far worse than Holman using his game performance as the only quantitative measurement.
10-12-2014 03:07 PM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Dinovo has excellent fieldmanship. Probably 4-1.
10-12-2014 03:30 PM
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
DiNovo was absolutely terrible and Holman is mediocre.

I'm really hoping Tyler Harris is as good a QB as he seemed when we recruited him (rank 12 pro style QB in the nation during the 2014 class per ESPN). I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that he develops well during his red shirt year.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 03:57 PM by Insane_Baboon.)
10-12-2014 03:57 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-12-2014 03:57 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  DiNovo was absolutely terrible and Holman is mediocre.

I'm really hoping Tyler Harris is as good a QB as he seemed when we recruited him (rank 12 pro style QB in the nation during the 2014 class per ESPN). I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that he develops well during his red shirt year.

I don't think we have a great finger on how good Holman is yet. Our o-line is atrocious, which allows for a sh*tty running game and little protection, but then again our WR's are some of the best in the nation and help him out a lot. He's definitely got a lot of potential, and with his arm strength/speed, he could easily be a great player. That being said, without him progressing at making reads/deciphering defenses, he could easily top out at a simply decent player.

But, as of now, Holmans QBR for this season is higher than Bortles's was in his sophomore year. Not that that is the end-all measurement, but it should give you pause.
10-12-2014 04:08 PM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
and that would be bortles' redshirt sophomore year.

holman's senior year will be equivalent to bortles last season in terms of experience.
10-12-2014 04:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Inigo Offline
You killed my father. Prepare to die.

DiNovo is right where he belongs... scout team QB.

If he were somehow the only QB we had this year we would be in serious trouble.
10-12-2014 08:21 PM
Advertisement

UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-12-2014 08:21 PM)Inigo Wrote:  DiNovo is right where he belongs... scout team QB.

If he were somehow the only QB we had this year we would be in serious trouble.

We'd be running even more jet sweeps

~
10-12-2014 08:22 PM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

UCF QB question
(10-12-2014 02:03 PM)cretv Wrote:  

I kind of agree. Dinovo was supposedly more consistent in fall practice. I would think he can do okay vs mediocre opponents because the skill positions are really doing most of the work. Then again, it seems like we would have beat Penn St with Holman playing all game.

We had 8 drops vs byu. That's 1 game. Factor those back in and you are at a healthier 62% for a first year starter. Three of this were the Frosch Aiken. If he can find his touch passes he will be ok

10-12-2014 08:30 PM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

UCF QB question
(10-12-2014 03:57 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  DiNovo was absolutely terrible and Holman is mediocre.

Btw no Schneider is killing it as well

10-12-2014 08:31 PM
Knightshift Offline
1st String

Holman clearly has potential. He just has a lot to learn. It was his job to lose heading into fall camp, and unfortunately, he flopped and lost it. Dinovo went from #1 to #3 immediately after the PSU game. That's all we need to know about him. I suspect he'll transfer after the season, considering we have Hollman, Patti, Harris (redshirting), and a QB from Texas already committed. I hope he can move on and be successful.

Hollman definitely doesn't have that "it" factor that we saw when Blake first stepped onto the field, but I think he can develop into a very good QB. It's just going to take time, and we're going to have to live through his growing pains. But as others have mentioned, he's not getting much help at all from our OL. I re-watched the BYU game, and while BYU has a solid defensive line, watching our run plays, some of our guys just look lost. Lots of missed assignments, and guys just not sustaining their blocks. I don't know if the young guys are just within a big learning curve, or if there's a talent issue, or a combination of the two. But right now, it isn't very good. I'm hoping some of these next few "easier" games (sans Temple, I think that's going to be a tough one) they can work out some of these problems, because our last two games are going to be dogfights.
10-13-2014 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.