Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NY Times-Tallahassee police ignore crimes by fb players
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
NY Times-Tallahassee police ignore crimes by fb players
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/us/flo....html?_r=0

Small part of the article is copied below:
Certainly, Florida State football players have not always sidestepped prosecution. Over the last three years, at least nine players have been arrested on charges ranging from sexual assault to being an accessory to a fatal shooting.

But on other occasions, despite strong evidence, investigations have been delayed and sometimes derailed.

When Jesus (Bobo) Wilson, an up-and-coming wide receiver, was stopped by the Tallahassee police in June while riding a stolen Bintelli Sprint motor scooter, his story was dubious: He claimed he had borrowed it from a student whose last name he did not know. But for Officer Michael Petroczky, it was convincing enough to forestall an arrest.

The officer, noting in his report that Mr. Wilson was a Florida State football player, wrote: “Wilson was not arrested today because he cooperated, showed no signs of guilt and provided a plausible story that needs to be investigated.”

According to the scooter’s owner, Mr. Wilson’s football connections weighed heavily on the case. After letting Mr. Wilson go, the officer arranged to meet the owner, a Florida State student, in a campus parking lot at night and “questioned if I was mentally stable or if I had forgotten that I lent him the scooter,” the student said in an email interview. The officer seemed deeply reluctant to charge Mr. Wilson, saying he did not want his name on the arrest report, according to the student.

At least 13 football players have been implicated in a string of wild public shootouts with CO2-powered BB and pellet guns, causing thousands of dollars in property damage, endangering bystanders and eliciting a police response. Yet until the most recent case — a previously unreported shootout in June that caused such a commotion that a sheriff’s helicopter was called in to search for suspects — none of the episodes led to charges, even though elsewhere in Florida suspects as young as 12 have been arrested for doing the same things.
10-10-2014 09:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
RE: NY Times-Tallahassee police ignore crimes by fb players
A ny times article on something everybody already knew. Who wrote it captain obvious.
10-10-2014 10:46 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
A story about nothing that says nothing. Fascinating. NYT has spent hours many months on Tallahassee and all they keep coming up with is bb gun fights. Bad police. Bad school. blah blah. Tremendous work by your Pulitzer prize winning journalist. Not.
10-11-2014 12:13 AM
Sparkster Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCLA
Death penalty is in order
10-11-2014 08:22 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Extremely sordid. It's astonishing how FSU covered up for Winston and how the whole town covers for the football team generally.
10-11-2014 08:27 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
I wonder where the NYT was when the Gainesville PD and state attorney were doing the same thing under Urban Meyer. And there you had football players with AK-47s not pellet guns!
10-11-2014 08:43 AM
Advertisement

lofi Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
The Fox Sports story is just flat out brutal. Something tells me this may not be a good week for Winston and FSU.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footbal...nts-101014
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2014 09:45 AM by lofi.)
10-11-2014 08:44 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(10-11-2014 12:13 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  A story about nothing that says nothing. Fascinating. NYT has spent hours many months on Tallahassee and all they keep coming up with is bb gun fights. Bad police. Bad school. blah blah. Tremendous work by your Pulitzer prize winning journalist. Not.

Sounds like you didn't read the article. It WAS pretty long. There was more than bb gun fights. Police are pretty corrupt there, harassing victims, ignoring procedures....
10-11-2014 09:02 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(10-11-2014 08:44 AM)lofi Wrote:  The Fox Sports story is just flat out brutal. Something tells me may not be a good week for Winston and FSU.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footbal...nts-101014

Wow.

If I was the governor, I would tell the FSU president he gets nothing in appropriations unless the entire leadership of the campus police and athletics department is gone.
10-11-2014 09:20 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Wow. Sounds like semi-pro football is more important than anything else going on around town. Seems a lot like Columbus.
10-11-2014 09:32 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Yeah, right. The NYT has all kinds of motivation to smear FSU's good name. It's not like they have bigger fish to fry or anything like that. There is nothing to see here, just keep moving along.

It is okay to be a whore to the football dollar. However, to pretend otherwise is just silly at this point. Everyone gets what FSU was all about and on some level it is cool that you don't even care to present things any differently. At least your win at all costs school actually wins. Sure, it is seedy and grimy but for many that is just the cost of doing business.

Some schools are win at all costs and they don't even win. That's the worst kind of whore; the kind that doesn't get paid for her services.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2014 10:29 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
10-11-2014 10:28 AM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It's pretty damning when you look at it from top to bottom.

BTW, there is a difference between whoring for the football dollar and committing outright crimes.
10-11-2014 10:40 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
This is nothing that people didn't already suspect about FSU. But I'm pretty sure FSU isn't the only school where things like this happen. The success of many football programs determine how much money comes into the local economy. It also gives the school a high profile platform for promoting the school to recruits, helping them to continue their success. So it's in the school's - and the community's - financial interest to protect the program.
10-12-2014 12:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
I think the NY Times needs to worry about the crimes in NYC. We can take care of ourselves in the South.
10-12-2014 12:47 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(10-12-2014 12:47 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I think the NY Times needs to worry about the crimes in NYC. We can take care of ourselves in the South.
That is clearly NOT the case here. FSU is bringing in outside people to determine Jameis Winston's status. That shows that FSU thinks they cannot handle the situation, because nobody would trust their judgement to be honest and above board.

It's a pretty sad day when you have to abdicate jurisdiction due to questions about your integrity. But that's the case at FSU.
10-12-2014 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(10-12-2014 12:50 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 12:47 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I think the NY Times needs to worry about the crimes in NYC. We can take care of ourselves in the South.
That is clearly NOT the case here. FSU is bringing in outside people to determine Jameis Winston's status. That shows that FSU thinks they cannot handle the situation, because nobody would trust their judgement to be honest and above board.

It's a pretty sad day when you have to abdicate jurisdiction due to questions about your integrity. But that's the case at FSU.
Any local jurisdiction would be questioned....even if it was handled above board. Like having your brother as the judge on your case. FSU would never win the "integrity" battle. It would be a lose-lose deal for the university. My question is this: Does the university have any more evidence of the supposed crimes than the police and DA have?
10-12-2014 12:59 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

That's what the Tallahassee police were doing. Of course, "ourselves" means FSU and the football team. They weren't interested in victims.
10-12-2014 01:13 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(10-12-2014 12:59 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 12:50 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

Any local jurisdiction would be questioned....even if it was handled above board. Like having your brother as the judge on your case. FSU would never win the "integrity" battle. It would be a lose-lose deal for the university. My question is this: Does the university have any more evidence of the supposed crimes than the police and DA have?
I'm sure you're not the only person with that question. I'd be willing to bet there are persons at the federal level with the very same question.

That is THE prime question in this whole investigation, since that would involve a violation of the Cleary Act, making it a federal crime involving university authority.
10-12-2014 05:13 PM
cuseroc Online
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(10-11-2014 09:02 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 12:13 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  A story about nothing that says nothing. Fascinating. NYT has spent hours many months on Tallahassee and all they keep coming up with is bb gun fights. Bad police. Bad school. blah blah. Tremendous work by your Pulitzer prize winning journalist. Not.

Sounds like you didn't read the article. It WAS pretty long. There was more than bb gun fights. Police are pretty corrupt there, harassing victims, ignoring procedures....

According to some of the FSU fans, when ESPN reports on FSU and Winston, its all a smear campaign so that ESPN can keep making the SEC look good. I guess now its Fox and the NY Times are all in cahoots with ESPN in a grand conspiracy to make FSU look bad so that they can keep propping up the SEC.
01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 05:26 PM by cuseroc.)
10-12-2014 05:15 PM
Sparkster Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCLA
#death penalty FSU
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 05:33 PM by Sparkster.)
10-12-2014 05:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.