Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Favorite Homecoming Memories
Bookmark and Share
MissionFan73 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Huskies
Favorite Homecoming Memories
So I'm sitting here in The OC, wishing that I could afford to fly to DeKalb this weekend. But I can't, so I thought I would share some of my favorite memories of Homecoming weekend, October in DeKalb.

Eating powdered sugar donuts and drinking apple cider at a little store on Lincoln Highway.

The beautiful colors of the leaves on the trees at the lagoon.

Cool, crisp, sunny days and chilly nights. Except the year that it poured rain all weekend.

The year we elected the first male NIU homecoming queen (I think his name was Larry something?) Hey, it was the 70s.

Mixing grape juice with God-only-knows-what in a giant trash can. I think that was at a frat party, but I don't really remember. Actually, I'm surprised I can remember anything at all about that night. :)

Anybody else?
10-09-2014 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUslumo Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: Favorite Homecoming Memories
Tearing down the goalposts in 98. That was great. Then walking back from the lagoon, I ran into my friend from back home who I didn't even know was at NIU for the weekend. He was carrying the other goalpost.
10-09-2014 08:59 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
Re: RE: Favorite Homecoming Memories
(10-09-2014 08:09 PM)MissionFan73 Wrote:  So I'm sitting here in The OC, wishing that I could afford to fly to DeKalb this weekend. But I can't, so I thought I would share some of my favorite memories of Homecoming weekend, October in DeKalb.

Eating powdered sugar donuts and drinking apple cider at a little store on Lincoln Highway.

Cool, crisp, sunny days and chilly nights. Except the year that it poured rain all weekend.

The year we elected the first male NIU homecoming queen (I think his name was Larry something?) Hey, it was the 70s.

Mixing grape juice with God-only-knows-what in a giant trash can. I think that was at a frat party, but I don't really remember. Actually, I'm surprised I can remember anything at all about that night. :)

Anybody else?

There were at least three versions of the garbage can punch: Wapadoo - Hi- C with Everclear, Purple Passion - repressed memory, and the everybody bring a bottle of cheap wine and pour it in the can.

There were some impressive hangovers.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-09-2014 09:10 PM
Springfield Soxfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: White Sox
Taking the goal posts down on Homecoming in the early 90's was a blast. My roommate used to get up at 6 am to bring his Cutlas to the Tailgaiting lots to have a great spot. Fun times. BaltimoreHuskies has some Douglas Hall classics, where are you man?
10-10-2014 07:01 AM
Advertisement

huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
1998 goalposts as a freshman. Stayed in the stands under the pouring rain despite suspending the game due to lightning. There was a buzz all week that "this could be the game to end the 23 game (newbies take note!) Losing streak'. Pouring rain, pushing and pulling the endzone fence til it came down...grabbing the leg of the guy hanging off the crossbar...twisting the goalpost til it snapped. This is my FIRST NIU homecoming AND game experience
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 08:17 AM by huskiealum03.)
10-10-2014 08:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(10-09-2014 09:10 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 08:09 PM)MissionFan73 Wrote:  So I'm sitting here in The OC, wishing that I could afford to fly to DeKalb this weekend. But I can't, so I thought I would share some of my favorite memories of Homecoming weekend, October in DeKalb.

Anybody else?

There were at least three versions of the garbage can punch: Wapadoo - Hi- C with Everclear, Purple Passion - repressed memory, and the everybody bring a bottle of cheap wine and pour it in the can.

Cripes. Just get a railroad spike and drive it through your forehead. Simpler.

For me, The Dekalb Footstompers at Lord Stanley's after the game. Especially the times they played "When the Saints Go Marching In" and marched outside the bar, down Lincoln Highway, around Matthew Boone's and back into the bar through the back entrance with the whole bar's crowd in a conga line behind them.

I also remember being there in '98, the day the streak was broken and the NIU logo came on the big screen on ESPN to announce it to the world. The band quit right in the middle of their song and went right into the Huskie Fight Song.
10-10-2014 08:16 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Drinking screwdrivers at the local bars in the morning, before tailgating started.
10-10-2014 08:30 AM
Advertisement

klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Stay up all night drinking. Andys opened at 6 am day of game. drink there till 8 when McCabes would open. Drink there till 11 or so then head over to game. Drink more. Attend game(usually did not remember), go back to Apartment or dorm and pass out.
10-10-2014 08:42 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
I sure do remember Homecoming when I was living in Douglas Hall. Ah yes, Homecoming! I didn't go home, but I was sure coming.
10-10-2014 09:06 AM
HappyHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pigdog's Demise
The 73-18 win over Fresno St. It seemed like we scored every time we had the ball.
10-10-2014 09:13 AM
Advertisement

klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-10-2014 09:13 AM)HappyHuskie Wrote:  The 73-18 win over Fresno St. It seemed like we scored every time we had the ball.

I was at that game but differed from prior post. was not up all night drinking but was at Andys at 6 am.
10-10-2014 09:16 AM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(10-10-2014 08:16 AM)cawoo22 Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 09:10 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  

Anybody else?

Cripes. Just get a railroad spike and drive it through your forehead. Simpler.

For me, The Dekalb Footstompers at Lord Stanley's after the game. Especially the times they played "When the Saints Go Marching In" and marched outside the bar, down Lincoln Highway, around Matthew Boone's and back into the bar through the back entrance with the whole bar's crowd in a conga line behind them.

I also remember being there in '98, the day the streak was broken and the NIU logo came on the big screen on ESPN to announce it to the world. The band quit right in the middle of their song and went right into the Huskie Fight Song.
The Footstompers still do a great rendition of the fight song. And, you haven't lived until you hear their tuba version of Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child.
10-10-2014 12:19 PM
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Freshman year 2000. I guess you could call it hazing of some sorts, but if it's the worst thing we did and a fond memory...umm. Anyway, my pledge class had to put together a big wooden sign with our letters for tailgating. We were given screws and a military shovel and wood. We Parked the truck In the lot overnight and had to build it by morning. It was one of the coldest I've ever been but that tailgate was awesome And I made it through the game freezing stones. We destroyed buffalo. Won't ever forget it.

My senior year 03. That homecoming was awesome. #12 in the country, the parade the day before, the tailgate scene with scalpers for a sold out stadium. I can't imagine a time in history where school pride and interest in football was any higher than October of 03.
10-10-2014 03:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.