Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Talk about unprepared to play...
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Texans are giving a clinic on it at Reliant. 17-0 half way through the 1Q.
10-09-2014 07:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Woodlands Owl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice
They look pathetic

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-09-2014 07:59 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: OT - Talk about unprepared to play...
Is there a run rule in the NFL? They may need it tonight.

Colts have converted every 3rd down but one tonight.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 08:11 PM by Tomball Owl.)
10-09-2014 08:08 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
Well, they've averaged almost 30 point blowouts so far in the first 5 Thursday night games. But Houston starting to make it a touch more interesting.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 08:33 PM by gsloth.)
10-09-2014 08:33 PM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

As bad as the Texans looked in the 1Q, it's now 24-14 with 8+ minutes to play in the 2Q.
10-09-2014 08:38 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
They shouldn't have let Arian Foster give the Texans team pregame pep talk. Actually the team has played pretty well after its horrible start (now 27-21 after being down 24-0 after 1 quarter). And Foster has played well - he just was the guy bad-mouthing Thursday night games in general.

I like Bill O'Brien from what I've seen. If they can get a real QB and upgrade the offensive line, I think he can do some decent things.

And I do think Foster is right for the most part. If the NFL wants to have a Thursday game every week, they should extend the season to 18 weeks (16 games in 18 weeks) and try to have teams coming off of byes play in those Thursday night games every time if possible.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 09:43 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
10-09-2014 09:41 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

Donators
Yeah, they've got to give bye weeks before these games to the teams - it's only fair. That way the 2 teams (or more on Thanksgiving) have an extended break before the game, and then an extended break before their next game.

The only problem with that approach is what about those first couple of weeks. The opening week guys get the extended break afterward, but when do they get a bye week? Or do they play on Thursday twice? And same with the week 2 and maybe 3 teams, who are having a bye week so early.

And someone did a study last season of the Thursday night games and they weren't any more turnover, injury or blowout prone than a regular game. But these just don't feel decent quality this year, for whatever reason.
10-09-2014 10:02 PM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Colts had a short week as well. They were ready to play.

And Fitz just fumbled to end the Texans comeback.
10-09-2014 10:40 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Wasn't JJ Watt's fault. Watt is probably the best Houston pro athlete since Hakeem Olajuwon? Maybe Earl Campbell?
10-09-2014 10:41 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(10-09-2014 09:41 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I like Bill O'Brien from what I've seen. If they can get a real QB and upgrade the offensive line, I think he can do some decent things.

Might want to work on their secondary too.
10-09-2014 10:49 PM
Advertisement

gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

Donators
(10-09-2014 10:40 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  The Colts had a short week as well. They were ready to play.

And that's why these blowouts (last night excepted, though it certainly seemed headed that way in the first quarter) don't make sense. Why is essentially only 1 team showing up ready to play? You would think both would be similarly worn down/unfocused.

Maybe it's just the teams being selected to face off with each other.

Here's the original analysis I was thinking of.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/sloppy...ess-again/

And then found one more recent example.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpagels/20...-blowouts/

And while the results may be a statistical anomaly, part of me wonders if it's not fair to build the built in bye weeks (or add another one to the season as part of chopping 2 pre-season games) into the timing of a Thursday night game.
10-10-2014 07:05 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-10-2014 07:05 AM)gsloth Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 10:40 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  The Colts had a short week as well. They were ready to play.

And that's why these blowouts (last night excepted, though it certainly seemed headed that way in the first quarter) don't make sense. Why is essentially only 1 team showing up ready to play? You would think both would be similarly worn down/unfocused.

Maybe it's just the teams being selected to face off with each other.

Here's the original analysis I was thinking of.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/sloppy...ess-again/

And then found one more recent example.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpagels/20...-blowouts/

And while the results may be a statistical anomaly, part of me wonders if it's not fair to build the built in bye weeks (or add another one to the season as part of chopping 2 pre-season games) into the timing of a Thursday night game.

If you made the situation analogous to boxing, you would probably find that two tired fighters will still probably end the fight with a KO.

The preparation isn't the problem, IMO, but the fact that there is less time for the players to recover following a gruesome game the Sunday before. I don't think the issue is anything mental (sure an extra day or two of prep would help), but rather physical fatigue that can't always be cured by preseason conditioning.
10-10-2014 08:34 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

It's simple. Coaching!

The Colts came out last night and knew exactly what they were going to do. The Texans looked lost for the entire 1Q. Best example is the successful onside kick. The Colts are the only team in the league to successfully execute on OS kick this year, yet the Texans were totally caught off guard. That's coaching, or better said, the lack of it.
10-10-2014 08:47 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(10-10-2014 08:47 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

It's simple. Coaching!

The Colts came out last night and knew exactly what they were going to do. The Texans looked lost for the entire 1Q. Best example is the successful onside kick. The Colts are the only team in the league to successfully execute on OS kick this year, yet the Texans were totally caught off guard. That's coaching, or better said, the lack of it.

I wonder if a new FG kicker would do as much or more for them as a new coach.
10-10-2014 09:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.