Rose Bowl: Texas-Oklahoma
10-09-2014 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: 13 media members did a mock committee for the 2008 season
Wow! So 3 G5 schools are in the Access bowls (based on the conference at the time in 2008) and how the committee placed conference champs and ranked accordingly.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 07:54 AM by MWC Tex.)
10-09-2014 02:54 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Playoff candidates

Conference champs
SEC: FLA 12-1
Big XII - Oklahoma 12-1
PAC-10: USC 11-1
BigTen: Penn State 11-1
ACC: VT 12-1
G5: Utah 12-0
(Big East gets grouped under G5)

At large candidates:
TEXAS 11-1 ( Lost to Texas Tech)
TEXAS tech 11-1 (Beat Texas)
Alabama

It is unclear to me why Texas gets a playoff spot.
10-09-2014 04:27 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-09-2014 04:27 PM)goofus Wrote:  Playoff candidates

Conference champs
Big XII - Oklahoma 12-1

At large candidates:
Alabama

The big reason why Texas gets a playoff spot is because it was a 3 way tie. I really do not see it being all that controversial. I don't think the conference champion label is going to be this requirement that you are hoping it's going to be. Nothing we've seen yet has shown that at all. I think its more a tiebreaker- but that's it.
10-09-2014 04:35 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(10-09-2014 02:54 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Wow! So 3 G5 schools are in the Access bowls (based on the conference at the time in 2008) and how the committe place conference champs and ranked accordingly.

See I told you guys it wouldn't be only 1 G5 school permitted to participate in a CFP bowls.....:) They are called Access for a reason.

There are two schools even from the MWC which is a rare situation to be in but I suppose its possible if the Win/Loss records are high enough to have 2 schools from a G5 conference.

That is why I believe if Marshall and ECU both win out they'll both find a spot in a CFP game. ECU to the Peach Bowl and Marshall to maybe the Cotton. Marshall in with the undefeated season and ECU with the quality non-conference performance.
10-09-2014 06:11 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Conference champs
Big XII - Oklahoma 12-1

At large candidates:
Alabama

You obviously don't remember that year. Texas beat OU by 10 on a neutral field. Tech beat Texas in Lubbock by 6 with a TD with 1 second left. OU beat Tech by 44 in Norman.
10-09-2014 06:46 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(10-09-2014 06:46 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Conference champs
Big XII - Oklahoma 12-1

At large candidates:
Alabama

You obviously don't remember that year. Texas beat OU by 10 on a neutral field. Tech beat Texas in Lubbock by 6 with a TD with 1 second left. OU beat Tech by 44 in Norman.

Exactly. Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech were all 1-1 against each other. Oklahoma won the tie breaker and went to conference championship game and won the conference championship, so it was 12-1.

So now Texas and TT are at-large candidates, both at 11-1 and Tech beat Texas. How can you argue that Texas deserves a spot because it finished in a 3-way tie but Tech does not?

But forget that for a second. Why should Texas get a spot over Penn State, who won its conference and texas did not?

Or why should Texas get a spot over an undefeated Utah?
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 10:24 PM by goofus.)
10-09-2014 10:22 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-09-2014 10:22 PM)goofus Wrote:  

Conference champs
Big XII - Oklahoma 12-1

At large candidates:
Alabama

Exactly. Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech were all 1-1 against each other. Oklahoma won the tie breaker and went to conference championship game and won the conference championship, so it was 12-1.

So now Texas and TT are at-large candidates, both at 11-1 and Tech beat Texas. How can you argue that Texas deserves a spot because it finished in a 3-way tie but Tech does not?

But forget that for a second. Why should Texas get a spot over Penn State, who won its conference and texas did not?

One major thing to remember- if this type of scenario happened now- Oklahoma would NOT have been automatically winning the tiebreaker. The week before the Big 12 title game-
AP- Texas up 8 votes on Oklahoma
Coaches- Oklahoma up 1 vote on Texas
Harris- Texas up 6 votes on Oklahoma

So if it was up to the committee prior to the game- I think it's VERY possible- if not probable that Texas would have gotten the tiebreaker.

Oklahoma got the BCS spot because of the computers. But once again- the computers very possibly won't play anywhere near as big of a factor as they did before.
10-09-2014 10:36 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(10-09-2014 10:22 PM)goofus Wrote:  

Conference champs
Big XII - Oklahoma 12-1

At large candidates:
Alabama

As Steve said, Texas probably should have gotten the spot over Oklahoma. Although Oklahoma did have a better ooc. Texas Tech just wasn't seriously in the conversation after losing 65-21. Texas and OU had the toughest schedules that year of the contenders. And Texas and OU had the "best losses." PSU lost at Iowa late. Florida lost to Ole Miss at home. USC lost at Oregon St.

In reality, Texas did "win" its conference. It was just involved in a tiebreak which didn't involve head-to-head.
10-10-2014 12:34 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college...-of-it.ece

Interesting quotes:
The real selection committee had also chosen the 2008 season as mock exercise.

“I don’t know if I should go there,” said Long, when asked how the two efforts compared. “It was a different four teams in a different order.”
At least the media had a couple of things going for it.

“You guys remember 2008 far better than what the committee did,” Hancock said. “You guys got after each other a lot more than the committee did, too.”
10-10-2014 12:44 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

Another article from one of the participants:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/inside-look...35291.html

In the process of making the sausage, we changed our minds a bit. Some of our original beliefs were altered and swayed, the more we examined numbers and listened to arguments. Some teams rose in the rankings, some fell. (The biggest differences from the final BCS rankings of 2008: We did not rank BYU, which was No. 16 in the BCS; we ranked Oregon State No. 18, while the Beavers were unranked by the BCS; we ranked Virginia Tech six spots higher than the BCS, at No. 13.)

One thing we were solid on: the top four. We voted on that three separate times, and each time the result was the same, in the same order: Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, USC.

When the real committee did its mock exercise using the same season, Long said it produced a different Final Four, and in a different order. We asked him what the differences were between theirs and ours. He thought about answering, then got a pre-emptive shake of the head from College Football Playoff CFO Reid Sigmon and declined to divulge.

Yes, even mock committee results from bygone seasons are confidential. So transparency clearly is a relative term.

Our first three were Florida, Oklahoma and Texas, with plenty of debate about the Sooners and Longhorns. If you recall, the Big 12 South was both the best and most controversial division in college football that year, with Texas beating Oklahoma head-to-head but later losing to Texas Tech and losing the Big 12 divisional tiebreaker. I voted Texas ahead of Oklahoma. I was in the minority.

Ranking the next three was perhaps the most-debated part of the process, given the importance of that fourth spot. Cases were stated for each of the three: USC, Penn State and Alabama. I made the case for the Crimson Tide to be No. 4 and was the only person to rank 'Bama that high. USC ended up being ahead of Penn State by a wide margin for fourth.
10-10-2014 01:00 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

One thing that should be put to rest by this is the notion that the Orange has any flexibility in choosing their team. It's the top team from SEC/Big Ten/ND period(unless it creates a rematch)
10-10-2014 08:13 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Ok. Let's see what the matchup would be if the other bowls were hosting? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm doing this more to see the G5 outcomes.

Next year the Orange and Cotton host the playoffs.
Rose: #17 Oregon vs #5 Penn St. (Pac12 champ repl vs B1G champ)
Sugar: #6 Alabama vs #8 Texas Tech (SEC champ repl vs Big12 champ repl)
Fiesta: #7 Utah vs #9 Ohio St. (Using Utah as G5 auto bid vs at large)
Peach: #13 VA Tech vs #10 TCU (ACC displaced champ vs at-large)
Boise St gets left out.

When Peach/Fiesta host
Rose: #17 Oregon vs #5 Penn St. (Pac12 champ repl vs B1G champ)
Sugar: #6 Alabama vs #8 Texas Tech (SEC champ repl vs Big12 champ repl)
Orange: #13 VA Tech vs #9 Ohio St (ACC champ vs highest SEC/B1G/ND team)
Cotton: #7 Utah vs #10 TCU (G5 auto bid vs at-large)

This forces Utah and TCU to play against each other due to the bowl contracts.
Even though this would be a rematch would they be required to take TCU before BSU? BSU would make a compelling matchup with two 12-0 teams vs a 10-2 TCU.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 09:52 AM by MWC Tex.)
10-10-2014 09:34 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(10-10-2014 01:00 AM)bullet Wrote:  Another article from one of the participants:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/inside-look...35291.html

In the process of making the sausage, we changed our minds a bit. Some of our original beliefs were altered and swayed, the more we examined numbers and listened to arguments. Some teams rose in the rankings, some fell. (The biggest differences from the final BCS rankings of 2008: We did not rank BYU, which was No. 16 in the BCS; we ranked Oregon State No. 18, while the Beavers were unranked by the BCS; we ranked Virginia Tech six spots higher than the BCS, at No. 13.)

One thing we were solid on: the top four. We voted on that three separate times, and each time the result was the same, in the same order: Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, USC.

When the real committee did its mock exercise using the same season, Long said it produced a different Final Four, and in a different order. We asked him what the differences were between theirs and ours. He thought about answering, then got a pre-emptive shake of the head from College Football Playoff CFO Reid Sigmon and declined to divulge.

Yes, even mock committee results from bygone seasons are confidential. So transparency clearly is a relative term.

Our first three were Florida, Oklahoma and Texas, with plenty of debate about the Sooners and Longhorns. If you recall, the Big 12 South was both the best and most controversial division in college football that year, with Texas beating Oklahoma head-to-head but later losing to Texas Tech and losing the Big 12 divisional tiebreaker. I voted Texas ahead of Oklahoma. I was in the minority.

Ranking the next three was perhaps the most-debated part of the process, given the importance of that fourth spot. Cases were stated for each of the three: USC, Penn State and Alabama. I made the case for the Crimson Tide to be No. 4 and was the only person to rank 'Bama that high. USC ended up being ahead of Penn State by a wide margin for fourth.

The actual committee's remarks make me wonder to what extent they will be swayed by public opinion - that is to say the AP and Coaches' Polls. We may get an inkling in a couple of weeks. They have already backtracked from their initial intent to not make their early deliberations public, saying that the public has come to expect weekly poll results during the season.
10-10-2014 12:18 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I think the one thing is that they will initially put in a top 3 and then debate the 4th team. I think that is going to be really good. Just thinking from a few years ago(2012)- just going by the polls- had Notre Dame, Alabama, and Oregon as top 3. That 4th spot would have been real interesting with Florida, Georgia, and Kansas St as the next 3 teams in the polls. I think with that- very real chance that Georgia could have gotten in over Florida(even with the 1 mre loss) due to head to head.
10-10-2014 12:21 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

Conference champs
Big XII - Oklahoma 12-1

At large candidates:
Alabama

Were you following college football that year? Texas barely missed out on a rematch vs Oklahoma in the BCS title game. They were ranked #3 just behind UF by everyone.
10-10-2014 04:15 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(10-10-2014 08:13 AM)stever20 Wrote:  One thing that should be put to rest by this is the notion that the Orange has any flexibility in choosing their team. It's the top team from SEC/Big Ten/ND period(unless it creates a rematch)

Nobody with a brain ever thought the Orange had any flexibility other than the rematch provision.
10-10-2014 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.