Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Here comes the flood of P5 dominance. ..
Bookmark and Share
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
Here comes the flood of P5 dominance. ..
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/j...holarships

"The Big Ten became the first major college conference to guarantee scholarships across all sports through the duration of an athlete’s enrollment at a university.

In a statement released Wednesday, the Big Ten said scholarships won’t be reduced or cancelled as long as an athlete "remains a member in good standing with the community, the university and the athletics department." The Big Ten did not specify what conditions its athletic departments can set for players to remain in good standing.

The Big Ten also said it would guarantee an athlete may return to school at any time on an athletic scholarship if the athlete’s pursuit for an undergraduate degree is "interrupted for a bona fide reason."

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-09-2014 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FranklinTNTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Here comes the flood of P5 dominance. ..
(10-09-2014 11:42 AM)thagr82008 Wrote:  http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/j...holarships

"The Big Ten became the first major college conference to guarantee scholarships across all sports through the duration of an athlete’s enrollment at a university.

In a statement released Wednesday, the Big Ten said scholarships won’t be reduced or cancelled as long as an athlete "remains a member in good standing with the community, the university and the athletics department." The Big Ten did not specify what conditions its athletic departments can set for players to remain in good standing.

The Big Ten also said it would guarantee an athlete may return to school at any time on an athletic scholarship if the athlete’s pursuit for an undergraduate degree is "interrupted for a bona fide reason."

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

No problem. Should be an easy one to match!

We signed up over a year and half ago to play with the big boys in football conference wise. I believe that the administration and big boosters realized their financial commitment will have to substantially increase in the future to cover bigger requirements including salaries, facilities, etc. Money should not be a problem in my opinion.
10-09-2014 12:11 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Yep...we should 'see' their straight across-the-board life-time schollies and raise them another lifetime or two.

Seriously, though, that does seem easy enough to match. Who would not be able to do so, I wonder?
10-09-2014 12:19 PM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Online
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(10-09-2014 12:19 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  Yep...we should 'see' their straight across-the-board life-time schollies and raise them another lifetime or two.

Seriously, though, that does seem easy enough to match. Who would not be able to do so, I wonder?

Boise State, I hope. (and the like)
10-09-2014 12:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
So is going professional a 'bona fide' reason to interrupt a student athletes undergraduate degree?

Like a Big 10 football player goes pro early, hangs around the league for 6-7 years and then is cut. He then decides he wants to finish his degree and still wants to play sports and rejoins his college team at age 27 on an athletic scholarship?
10-09-2014 12:37 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
LOL...This actually hurts the B1G10 Competitively...But it is the RIGHT thing to do.

You can no longer essentially cut non-performers...They are on scholly for 4 years, if you mis-evaluate you are stuck with them unless they decide to leave. Doubt others will follow suit
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 01:14 PM by macgar32.)
10-09-2014 01:13 PM
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

(10-09-2014 01:13 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  LOL...This actually hurts the B1G10 Competitively...But it is the RIGHT thing to do.

You can no longer essentially cut non-performers...They are on scholly for 4 years, if you mis-evaluate you are stuck with them unless they decide to leave. Doubt others will follow suit

Surely, they've figured out how not to count these as sports scholarships/team members (or whatever might bump up on an NCAA limit).
10-09-2014 01:20 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(10-09-2014 01:20 PM)roundhouse74 Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 01:13 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  LOL...This actually hurts the B1G10 Competitively...But it is the RIGHT thing to do.

Surely, they've figured out how not to count these as sports scholarships/team members (or whatever might bump up on an NCAA limit).

I guess they can get away with kicking them off the team but keeping them on scholarship.
10-09-2014 01:29 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

(10-09-2014 01:29 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 01:20 PM)roundhouse74 Wrote:  

I guess they can get away with kicking them off the team but keeping them on scholarship.

Probably. But I think Pastner has this method down to a tee. Join the tigers. If you don't get the playing time you want, or if we both agree you'd be better off somewhere else, we'll use the pushed out rule so that you can go be on scholarship somewhere else, and be immediately eligible to play.
10-09-2014 02:38 PM
Advertisement

CTIGER Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think you are missing the point. As I see it this is their attempt to help recruit against the SEC. It doesn't cost them more money, because when a scholarship is pulled it is because they are giving it to someone else. With this move they can tell a recruit you won't be recruited over and lose your scholarship like could happen at, say, Alabama.
10-09-2014 03:11 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(10-09-2014 03:11 PM)CTIGER Wrote:  I think you are missing the point. As I see it this is their attempt to help recruit against the SEC. It doesn't cost them more money, because when a scholarship is pulled it is because they are giving it to someone else. With this move they can tell a recruit you won't be recruited over and lose your scholarship like could happen at, say, Alabama.

No that is not the point...

Yes that is a recruiting tool, but if they do not have a method of weeding out non-performers they are stuck with them for 4 years. Every coach will recruit over a player if they can, but if their hands are tied because they cannot pull schollies then they are going to have a less talented team.
10-09-2014 04:35 PM
CTIGER Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-09-2014 04:35 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 03:11 PM)CTIGER Wrote:  I think you are missing the point. As I see it this is their attempt to help recruit against the SEC. It doesn't cost them more money, because when a scholarship is pulled it is because they are giving it to someone else. With this move they can tell a recruit you won't be recruited over and lose your scholarship like could happen at, say, Alabama.

No that is not the point...

Yes that is a recruiting tool, but if they do not have a method of weeding out non-performers they are stuck with them for 4 years. Every coach will recruit over a player if they can, but if their hands are tied because they cannot pull schollies then they are going to have a less talented team.

I didn't say it would necessarily work, but I believe they are betting that the ability to recruit more 4 and 5 star recruits will more than compensate for the ones that don't pan out. This is their "Hail Mary" to stay relevant in football.
10-09-2014 07:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.