Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big wrestling prediction thread
Bookmark and Share
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Question Big wrestling prediction thread
Its getting close to that time of year again! Does Iowa have a snowballs chance in Minnesota of taking out Penn St this year? Will Maryland and Rutgers be the cellar dwellers? Lets talk some rasslin!
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 01:43 PM by billybobby777.)
10-07-2014 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Big wrestling prediction thread
Just like in football, RU is much better in wrestling than we will be given credit for. Still, as a long time fan, I hope for the best, but expect the worst. We have been trending up the last couple of years. Our recruiting is much better than just a few years ago. The next class should be even better.
10-07-2014 05:08 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-07-2014 05:08 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Just like in football, RU is much better in wrestling than we will be given credit for. Still, as a long time fan, I hope for the best, but expect the worst. We have been trending up the last couple of years. Our recruiting is much better than just a few years ago. The next class should be even better.

there is no question that you are in a recruiting hotbed. Darion Caldwell (2010 149 lb. NCAA champion) is an example. He wrestled at north Carolina st, but almost transferred to Rutgers at one point to not only wrestle but to play wide out on the football team. Trust me, I know about Rutgers wrestling potential!
10-07-2014 08:49 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
(10-07-2014 05:08 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Just like in football, RU is much better in wrestling than we will be given credit for. Still, as a long time fan, I hope for the best, but expect the worst. We have been trending up the last couple of years. Our recruiting is much better than just a few years ago. The next class should be even better.

Just a few years ago Rider would kick our asses annually and had the best in-state program. Goodale has built things up to the point where neither of those is true anymore. We've been slowly building upwards. Rutgers will surprise in wrestling as to how competitive we really are.
10-09-2014 04:36 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-09-2014 04:36 PM)brista21 Wrote:  

Just a few years ago Rider would kick our asses annually and had the best in-state program. Goodale has built things up to the point where neither of those is true anymore. We've been slowly building upwards. Rutgers will surprise in wrestling as to how competitive we really are.

I can't wait for the season to start! I go to the big 12 and big 10 wrestling tournaments when I can. Do you think Rutgers will host a big 10 tourney soon?
11-03-2014 11:08 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

Basketball is going to DC in a couple of years. With the BE locking up MSG and SH being a primary tenant at the Pru Center, I doubt we get that tourny. I would guess that the B10 would send us wrestling instead. The RAC would be perfect for it. I have a buddy with a direct line to the wrestling coach. I know for a fact Rutgers would love to host it.
11-05-2014 10:46 AM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(11-05-2014 10:46 AM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Basketball is going to DC in a couple of years. With the BE locking up MSG and SH being a primary tenant at the Pru Center, I doubt we get that tourny. I would guess that the B10 would send us wrestling instead. The RAC would be perfect for it. I have a buddy with a direct line to the wrestling coach. I know for a fact Rutgers would love to host it.

Mike, That would be huge! Are you a really big college wrestling fan, or just a nominal fan? Do you go to college meets and tourneys? I've gone to wrestling meets all over the country (including NCAA's tournaments) and have noticed the increased attendance up east, especially in Philly area. Even North Carolina has had some growth. I went to a NC St meet 3 years ago when they had the legend, Darion Caldwell, a product of New Jersey. ECU doesn't have an official wrestling program, but youth and high school wrestling in Greenville is growing. Penn St has been getting almost Iowa like crowds lately since Sanderson became coach. You have no idea how huge it is for Rutgers getting into the big 10 until you watch a Rutgers/Iowa meet!! I grew up going to Carver Hawkeye meets with 15k in the seats at least a dozen times! One thing for sure: Rutgers having wrestling didn't hurt when it came to Big expansion candidates....every single Big 10 (14) school has a program. Hope to talk wrestling with you this year!!
11-05-2014 08:37 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
I still think something is being worked out for the 2018 Big Ten tournament in regards to MSG. A creative out of the box solution would be the Big Ten and Big East using both the Rock and MSG together that year. Both conferences' finals and semi-finals would be at the Garden. Imagine a Saturday where the Big Ten holds its semi-finals in the afternoon and then the Big East holds its final in the evening at the Garden. Sunday early afternoon the Big Ten holds its final at the Garden. Friday would shape up to have the conferences using both the Rock and the Garden. The Big Ten would send two quarterfinal games to each arena while the Big East holds its semi-finals at the Garden. Thursday would see each conference send two of its games each arena. Wednesday the conferences combine for 4 games and all would be at the Garden. The tougher sell in that setup probably isn't the Big East agreeing to move 2 games to the Rock, so much as the Rock not getting anyone's semis or final.
11-05-2014 08:49 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(11-05-2014 08:49 PM)brista21 Wrote:  I still think something is being worked out for the 2018 Big Ten tournament in regards to MSG. A creative out of the box solution would be the Big Ten and Big East using both the Rock and MSG together that year. Both conferences' finals and semi-finals would be at the Garden. Imagine a Saturday where the Big Ten holds its semi-finals in the afternoon and then the Big East holds its final in the evening at the Garden. Sunday early afternoon the Big Ten holds its final at the Garden. Friday would shape up to have the conferences using both the Rock and the Garden. The Big Ten would send two quarterfinal games to each arena while the Big East holds its semi-finals at the Garden. Thursday would see each conference send two of its games each arena. Wednesday the conferences combine for 4 games and all would be at the Garden. The tougher sell in that setup probably isn't the Big East agreeing to move 2 games to the Rock, so much as the Rock not getting anyone's semis or final.

Brista21, I like your MSG idea. I think if Rutgers can have a top 10/15 team by 2018, and be at least in the top 5 of the Big 10, plus Penn St stays number 1, Maryland gets in top 20, the chances of a Big 10 tournament at MSG is a possibility! Trust me, Iowa fans would love to go there for that event....2 to 3k min, plus Minnesota and Nebraska with another 3k combined. Now imagine if Big invited Cornell as wrestling only??--they did it for lacrosse so there's precedent for a 1 sport only BIG member. MSG would be close to sold out!
11-05-2014 08:56 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

(11-05-2014 08:37 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(11-05-2014 10:46 AM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Basketball is going to DC in a couple of years. With the BE locking up MSG and SH being a primary tenant at the Pru Center, I doubt we get that tourny. I would guess that the B10 would send us wrestling instead. The RAC would be perfect for it. I have a buddy with a direct line to the wrestling coach. I know for a fact Rutgers would love to host it.

Mike, That would be huge! Are you a really big college wrestling fan, or just a nominal fan? Do you go to college meets and tourneys? I've gone to wrestling meets all over the country (including NCAA's tournaments) and have noticed the increased attendance up east, especially in Philly area. Even North Carolina has had some growth. I went to a NC St meet 3 years ago when they had the legend, Darion Caldwell, a product of New Jersey. ECU doesn't have an official wrestling program, but youth and high school wrestling in Greenville is growing. Penn St has been getting almost Iowa like crowds lately since Sanderson became coach. You have no idea how huge it is for Rutgers getting into the big 10 until you watch a Rutgers/Iowa meet!! I grew up going to Carver Hawkeye meets with 15k in the seats at least a dozen times! One thing for sure: Rutgers having wrestling didn't hurt when it came to Big expansion candidates....every single Big 10 (14) school has a program. Hope to talk wrestling with you this year!!

I never was a big fan. But both my boys wrestle and I'm in on helping the local programs getting back to their former prominence. We are trying to get the entire program (rec through high school) to go to a RU meet. It would be great for the high school kids to get some time at a BIG program. NJ high school wrestling is quite good. By far the best is Blair Academy. Check out how many of their graduates were on B10 rosters last year. RU needs to crack into the wrestling belt out in West Jersey. That is really still PSU territory.
11-07-2014 02:43 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(11-07-2014 02:43 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  
(11-05-2014 08:37 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

I never was a big fan. But both my boys wrestle and I'm in on helping the local programs getting back to their former prominence. We are trying to get the entire program (rec through high school) to go to a RU meet. It would be great for the high school kids to get some time at a BIG program. NJ high school wrestling is quite good. By far the best is Blair Academy. Check out how many of their graduates were on B10 rosters last year. RU needs to crack into the wrestling belt out in West Jersey. That is really still PSU territory.

that's neat about your kids wrestling. Also, I'm quite aware of Blair Academy! They ve produced #1 rated classes several times
11-07-2014 10:02 PM
Advertisement

hisenberg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: penn state

Does Rutgers have a football team?
01-10-2015 01:26 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
Re: RE: Big wrestling prediction thread
(01-10-2015 01:26 PM)hisenberg Wrote:  

Stop that, they did the Big Ten proud this year and added a W to our bowl column.
01-10-2015 10:32 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

What are you 12? Four posts and a 0 rating and this is what you can come up with. Pathetic. Remember this junior, we gave away a game to ttfp thanks to Gary Nova's 5 interceptions. But we finished the season 8-5. Your team finished 7-6.

And BTW, you may be the current defending national champion in wrestling, but this year you won't even win the conference.

Welcome to the board, now shut up.
01-11-2015 11:31 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

(01-11-2015 11:31 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  

What are you 12? Four posts and a 0 rating and this is what you can come up with. Pathetic. Remember this junior, we gave away a game to ttfp thanks to Gary Nova's 5 interceptions. But we finished the season 8-5. Your team finished 7-6.

And BTW, you may be the current defending national champion in wrestling, but this year you won't even win the conference.

Seriously though, on these boards were all outcasts together, we dont need any separation or else we'll be seen as weak from others who constantly attack us. Now if we have a very active board with a fair number of people then we can allow for some dirty talk between one another.
01-12-2015 08:58 AM
hisenberg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: penn state

That is 4 time defending champs, pops.

PSU's JV is wrestling this season and they are retooling for another run.

Remember this pops, the team that beat you this year was the youngest and least talented team you will ever face. The sanctions are over and PSU will steamroll you for years.
01-12-2015 05:37 PM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

(01-12-2015 05:37 PM)hisenberg Wrote:  

That is 4 time defending champs, pops.

PSU's JV is wrestling this season and they are retooling for another run.

Remember this pops, the team that beat you this year was the youngest and least talented team you will ever face. The sanctions are over and PSU will steamroll you for years.

Seriously the disrespect is not welcome, take that **** to the realignment board.
01-12-2015 10:05 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
Wrestling is the Big 10's most competitive men's sport and the sport in which the conference does best on a national level.
01-22-2015 01:48 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(01-22-2015 01:48 AM)Policiious Wrote:  Wrestling is the Big 10's most competitive men's sport and the sport in which the conference does best on a national level.

I'm not sure if that was meant as a compliment but big 10 wrestling is awesome! I'd say that that MAC wrestling is the sport in which the conference does best as well....now that mizzou is in the MAC, the league is a beast and my favorite MAC sport to watch. One of my best friends wrestled at Central Michigan in the late 90's when they were top 5/10
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2015 10:27 PM by billybobby777.)
01-23-2015 10:27 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
(01-23-2015 10:27 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(01-22-2015 01:48 AM)Policiious Wrote:  Wrestling is the Big 10's most competitive men's sport and the sport in which the conference does best on a national level.

I'm not sure if that was meant as a compliment but big 10 wrestling is awesome! I'd say that that MAC wrestling is the sport in which the conference does best as well....now that mizzou is in the MAC, the league is a beast and my favorite MAC sport to watch. One of my best friends wrestled at Central Michigan in the late 90's when they were top 5/10

It absolutely was, the Big 10 is the dominant conference in NCAA Division 1 Wrestling and there is really no disputing that. The MAC though is very solid and wisely allows affiliate members in all sports but football, basketball & baseball. West Virginia strengthens the conference in Soccer and if the Oklahoma University Wrestling HC has his way, Oklahoma, OK ST, Iowa State and West Virginia will be joining MAC Wrestling which would really make it a dynamic wrestling conference. Other affiliate MAC Wrestling programs include Northern Iowa (who has had success in the recent past) and Old Dominion who has been ranked in the top 25 this year.
01-24-2015 10:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.