Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Partial Qualifiers
Bookmark and Share
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
Partial Qualifiers
How much of an advantage does this give Marshall over everyone else? I know when we were in the Sun Belt Troy and Arkansas State always did well with this advantage. Should CUSA put a stop to it and get everyone on the same playing field?
10-07-2014 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ARandomHerdFan Offline
User Banned

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Partial Qualifiers
In before the shitstorm.
10-07-2014 09:42 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
It would be a good policy for more schools in CUSA to adopt if they want to compete at a level that can make them nationally relevant.

Sure other message board fans may give **** about it, but the general public has no idea. They just know that if you have a # beside your name, you're a good team.
10-07-2014 09:46 AM
Surbadger Offline
1st String

It is the only thing that helps us smaller schools against the P-5 conferences. It isn't an unfair advantage because any school in the conference can do so if they choose. Doc knows what he is doing and what non-qualifiers to choose. Our system works the same as JUCOs do. The only difference is they are enrolled at our school instead of a smaller feeder school.
10-07-2014 09:49 AM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(10-07-2014 09:42 AM)ARandomHerdFan Wrote:  In before the shitstorm.

+1
10-07-2014 09:56 AM
herdftblfan1 Offline
Bench Warmer

There is no such thing as a partial qualifier. You are either qualified or you are not.

Non-qualifiers are permitted to lift with the strength and conditioning coach and that's about it. They are neither guaranteed a scholarship nor assure a place on the team. They pay their own way, can't practice with the team, receive no other benefits of being a student-athlete and are required to gain eligibility before they can play. It's on them to make things right.

Many pan out but many are a bust. It's a big gamble and why Marshall will only accept those that made the grades but missed the test scores. That shows work ethic.

There's no "putting a stop" to anything. If your University would like to do the same; they are welcome to do it but don't criticize Marshall for leveraging one of the few opportunities they have available to them to level the playing field.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 10:06 AM by herdftblfan1.)
10-07-2014 10:05 AM
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
I'm in favor of allowing it on a case-by-case basis.

While it's policy at MT, it was more out of necessity. We moved to I-A in 1998 and didn't get up to full number of scholarships until 2010. After the previous regime's philosophy of recruiting marginally academically ready kids (many of whom never even made it to campus) followed by the APR scholarship reductions, our program was nearly destroyed as a result.

Now that we have a full roster and are an example nationally on APR I have no problem taking a one or a two a year based on the circumstances, but they kid should be fully investigated to make sure we have a good sense that he's going to put the work in to make the grades.
10-07-2014 10:05 AM
herdftblfan1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-07-2014 10:05 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  I'm in favor of allowing it on a case-by-case basis.

While it's policy at MT, it was more out of necessity. We moved to I-A in 1998 and didn't get up to full number of scholarships until 2010. After the previous regime's philosophy of recruiting marginally academically ready kids (many of whom never even made it to campus) followed by the APR scholarship reductions, our program was nearly destroyed as a result.

Now that we have a full roster and are an example nationally on APR I have no problem taking a one or a two a year based on the circumstances, but they kid should be fully investigated to make sure we have a good sense that he's going to put the work in to make the grades.

Which is what Doc is fantastic at doing. He knows how to evaluate kids and turns down many.
10-07-2014 10:10 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: Partial Qualifiers
No such thing as a partial anymore. A NQ is simply a kid that qualifies for general admittance to a school but may not have a high enough GPA or Test scores coming out of high school to participate in athletics. He or she has the option to go to school and can only participate if he or she gets their grades up high enough to qualify. The individual cannot practice with the team until fully qualified. Some make it but most don't. You have to be really picky on the kids you allow for this. Our Administration caps it off at 4 potential Non Q's a year. The P5 schools do essentially the same thing with the exception that they place these kids in a separate prep school instead.
10-07-2014 10:40 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(10-07-2014 09:41 AM)MT FAN Wrote:  How much of an advantage does this give Marshall over everyone else? I know when we were in the Sun Belt Troy and Arkansas State always did well with this advantage. Should CUSA put a stop to it and get everyone on the same playing field?

Get used to it. Marshall takes it to another level with an academic program designed to keep these losers eligible. They have no standards regarding JUCO transfers either. I'm glad that ECU no longer takes these flunkies.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/ma...-next-year

Quote:PROPS: Before the recruitaholics get into their five-star hysteria, remember Marshall had eight academic non-qualifiers sitting out last season.

Two of them -- Angelo Jean-Louis and Deontay McManus -- are eligible now and will participate in spring practices. Considering both are outside wide receivers and were big-time prospects, they could be impact players.

The other props include running backs Tony Pittman and Brandon Byrd, wide receiver Rodney Allen, cornerback Chocolate Wilson, linebacker Raheim Huskey and defensive end Jalen Stevenson.

8 in one season. 03-lmfao And before any turd fans say they didn't all get in the intent was clear.
Quote: TRANSFERS: Don't forget about defensive end Ricardo Williams and cornerback Donaldven Manning, who practiced last season after transferring from Miami (Fla.) and Virginia Tech respectively.

Both should be impact players for Marshall.

For all CUSA newbies the admissions requirements for Marshall football players is easy. Just fog a mirror and have a pulse and you're good to go.
10-07-2014 10:57 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

Re: RE: Partial Qualifiers
(10-07-2014 10:57 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 09:41 AM)MT FAN Wrote:  How much of an advantage does this give Marshall over everyone else? I know when we were in the Sun Belt Troy and Arkansas State always did well with this advantage. Should CUSA put a stop to it and get everyone on the same playing field?

Get used to it. Marshall takes it to another level with an academic program designed to keep these losers eligible. They have no standards regarding JUCO transfers either. I'm glad that ECU no longer takes these flunkies.

Quote:PROPS: Before the recruitaholics get into their five-star hysteria, remember Marshall had eight academic non-qualifiers sitting out last season.

Two of them -- Angelo Jean-Louis and Deontay McManus -- are eligible now and will participate in spring practices. Considering both are outside wide receivers and were big-time prospects, they could be impact players.

The other props include running backs Tony Pittman and Brandon Byrd, wide receiver Rodney Allen, cornerback Chocolate Wilson, linebacker Raheim Huskey and defensive end Jalen Stevenson.

8 in one season. 03-lmfao And before any turd fans say they didn't all get in the intent was clear.
Quote: TRANSFERS: Don't forget about defensive end Ricardo Williams and cornerback Donaldven Manning, who practiced last season after transferring from Miami (Fla.) and Virginia Tech respectively.

For all CUSA newbies the admissions requirements for Marshall football players is easy. Just fog a mirror and have a pulse and you're good to go.

Here comes Blunderpuss with his jealousy and weird infatuation with Marshall.

Truth is, (as proven time and time again) Landon didnt report it correctly so you have knuckleheads like Blunderpuss spinning the story. Some of these guys were transfers and not non Q's. And before ECU starts pretending to take the high road to academics, lets remember that ECU took Non Q's while being in CUSA as well.

As far as it being an advantage?....Out of all those players listed, only one of them is a starter. Jean Louis. And no he wasnt a Non Q player like Landon falsely reported. The kid attended prep school at Fork Union prep school before coming to Marshall.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sandiegostate/fo...uis-143586

Same with McManus. Didnt qualify out of high school but went and got qualified in prep school in Atlanta before coming to Marshall. Just setting the record straight.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/LSU/football/re...nus-143371

The six kids that were Non Q's were kids from two different recruiting classes.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 11:36 AM by MUHERD76.)
10-07-2014 11:29 AM
Advertisement

ARandomHerdFan Offline
User Banned

I'm not one to say that a person is obsessed, but...
10-07-2014 11:41 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(10-07-2014 11:29 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

[Image: inigo.png]
10-07-2014 11:42 AM
herdftblfan1 Offline
Bench Warmer

ECU admits 73.4% of their applicants. Marshall admits a startling 78.7%. You can look it up on US News if you like.

Marshall was built and designed to serve one of the poorest areas in all of Appalachia and the United States. While the bulk of the student population is typical college students, the University also provides opportunity for kids that may not otherwise have one. You are talking about children with median household incomes less that 20K a year total and often two parents that didn't graduate from high school. These are coal field kids; some of which have no clue how to study or prepare. As a result Marshall has one of the most respected and modeled academic H.E.L.P. programs in America. It is specifically designed help at risk students or those with learning disabilities.

Many of our non-qualifiers come from some of the toughest neighborhoods in this county. I am not ashamed that the H.E.L.P. program is a huge benefit to them as well.

I am proud of my University for doing what they do. Turning these students away is the easy choice. Giving them a chance and dedicating resources to them requires, effort, compassion and resources.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 11:47 AM by herdftblfan1.)
10-07-2014 11:44 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(10-07-2014 11:42 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  

Oh its exactly what I meant Kruciff. You see, ECU can no longer take Non Q's like they used to now that they are in the American.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 11:51 AM by MUHERD76.)
10-07-2014 11:50 AM
TheFIUtheproud Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FIU
(10-07-2014 11:50 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 11:42 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  

Oh its exactly what I meant Kruciff. You see, ECU can no longer take Non Q's like they used to now that they are in the American.

Just a guess here but I think he means that jealousy is the wrong word choice. I think he is trying to say you should have used the word "envy."
10-07-2014 12:53 PM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(10-07-2014 11:50 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  Oh its exactly what I meant Kruciff. You see, ECU can no longer take Non Q's like they used to now that they are in the American.

I wish we'd NEVER taken them to be brutally honest. They don't belong on a college campus and all it did was give us a bad reputation with other schools in NC.
10-07-2014 01:07 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Survivor Runner-up
Doesn't bother me personally. If that's what Marshall wants to do as a school, that's their prerogative. At least they don't flaunt the **** like other schools. How many guys at every year's NBA or NFL draft do we really think could pass a college class, let alone multiple years? The system is all sorts of jacked up, and Marshall is doing no more harm than any of those other schools.

You say you got a bad name in North Carolina, but the average sports fan heard about UNCs scandal and doesn't know crap about ECU admission policies.
10-07-2014 01:34 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Here comes the EZWhoville train again. I will just say this to the EZWho people. In your starting line up in the 2001 GMAC bowl 18 of your 22 starters started out as NQers. Marshall has never had that many on the field at one time.

Now GTFO you are on the wrong board...

Let me ask you this....What is the difference between a NQer and Juco/Prep kid, the answer is nothing, except for maybe a a few years of eligibility.
10-07-2014 01:56 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(10-07-2014 01:07 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 11:50 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  Oh its exactly what I meant Kruciff. You see, ECU can no longer take Non Q's like they used to now that they are in the American.

I wish we'd NEVER taken them to be brutally honest. They don't belong on a college campus and all it did was give us a bad reputation with other schools in NC.

100% ******* False Blunderpuss. How can you say that and be happy about it? Just because a kid has a qualifying GPA but might have a bad test score does not mean that kid should be denied a college education. You are way out of line with those comments. I'd much rather see a kid get a college education and the chance to be a good citizen vs living the street life selling drugs or killing somebody. Just because a kid did bad on a test score doesnt necessarily mean he or she is a bad person or should be denied an education. Did you ever stop to think that maybe some kids just arent brought up in conditions like we are? Some of these kids make it but most never do. For those that do, I'm very happy for them.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 02:53 PM by MTPiKapp.)
10-07-2014 01:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.