Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I would love to get persective of how Root is looking
Bookmark and Share
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
I would love to get persective of how Root is looking
Any students on here talk to the players on the team. I would love to know how he looks in practice. I assume he is running the scout team. Would like to hear their thoughts.
10-07-2014 08:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_instigator Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: life
RE: I would love to get persective of how Root is looking
(10-07-2014 08:04 AM)klake87 Wrote:  Any students on here talk to the players on the team. I would love to know how he looks in practice. I assume he is running the scout team. Would like to hear their thoughts.

Man crush?

I bet you he looks like a 18 year old freshman taking his first collegiate snaps. It's only the delusional few on here that have anointed him the next Joe Montana
10-07-2014 08:52 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-07-2014 08:52 AM)the_instigator Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 08:04 AM)klake87 Wrote:  Any students on here talk to the players on the team. I would love to know how he looks in practice. I assume he is running the scout team. Would like to hear their thoughts.

Man crush?

I bet you he looks like a 18 year old freshman taking his first collegiate snaps. It's only the delusional few on here that have anointed him the next Joe Montana

This will be the last time I reply to you. I just would like to hear how he is doing. I understand by your screen name you are a jag but if no info on him then your post does not matter.
10-07-2014 09:08 AM
PrideinthePack Offline
1st String

(10-07-2014 09:08 AM)klake87 Wrote:  

Man crush?

This will be the last time I reply to you. I just would like to hear how he is doing. I understand by your screen name you are a jag but if no info on him then your post does not matter.

That's all too common around here lately. It's like people try to top one another for the most outlandish remark.

If you voice your frustration about NIU barely beating Kent St it's all ...

"Oh so you think Carey should be fired?!?" Hyperbole is prevalent on this board.

I don't see the connection how asking how Root is doing correlates to thinking he's Joe Montana. The leaps people make on here make them sound idiotic.

I don't have any info on Root. No matter how good he looks he is best red-shirted this season. Hopefully someone can grab the horns of the QB job by next spring. I hope Root isn't passed over due to seniority if he is the best option.
10-07-2014 09:45 AM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

(10-07-2014 09:45 AM)PrideinthePack Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 09:08 AM)klake87 Wrote:  

Man crush?

That's all too common around here lately. It's like people try to top one another for the most outlandish remark.

If you voice your frustration about NIU barely beating Kent St it's all ...

"Oh so you think Carey should be fired?!?" Hyperbole is prevalent on this board.

I don't see the connection how asking how Root is doing correlates to thinking he's Joe Montana. The leaps people make on here make them sound idiotic.

I don't have any info on Root. No matter how good he looks he is best red-shirted this season. Hopefully someone can grab the horns of the QB job by next spring. I hope Root isn't passed over due to seniority if he is the best option.

I didn't attend any of the summer camp practices, but based off of what many were saying that attended, Root was playing very well even compared to our top 3 guys. He is build much better than the other 3 as well. Would not be surprised one bit if he is starting next season if Mac, Hare, or Maddie cannot take the QB job by the horns.
10-07-2014 09:58 AM
PrideinthePack Offline
1st String

My fear is that NIU wins 10+ games with a terribly easy MAC schedule and Carey is afraid to make a change to Root (if he is the best) because of how this season turned out.
10-07-2014 10:13 AM
Advertisement

NIU8484 Offline
All American

(10-07-2014 10:13 AM)PrideinthePack Wrote:  My fear is that NIU wins 10+ games with a terribly easy MAC schedule and Carey is afraid to make a change to Root (if he is the best) because of how this season turned out.

I think if the QB flip flopping has taught us anything Carey isn't fully vested in Hare or Maddie, so If roots play is worthy of starting next season, I think he will get the nod
10-07-2014 10:14 AM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

For what it is worth, Graham is the emergency QB instead of Root. We know that Carey will burn a red shirt if he thinks it will help the team win. Maybe Root isn't coming along as fast as they would like, or Carey would rather save him for the future.

It's like they say, the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team. No one knows how good Root really is, but I am hoping he is better than the three QBs that are playing now. Why? Because that must mean he's pretty damn good to win the job as a RS Freshman. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I do not want Root to play this year.
10-07-2014 10:26 AM
1st String

(10-07-2014 10:26 AM)timxlydon Wrote:  For what it is worth, Graham is the emergency QB instead of Root. We know that Carey will burn a red shirt if he thinks it will help the team win. Maybe Root isn't coming along as fast as they would like, or Carey would rather save him for the future.

It's like they say, the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team. No one knows how good Root really is, but I am hoping he is better than the three QBs that are playing now. Why? Because that must mean he's pretty damn good to win the job as a RS Freshman. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I do not want Root to play this year.

No Root is being redshirted in order to save his eligibility for the future. Graham will never be a starter in this system, that is why he is the emergency backup with no redshirt placed on him.
10-07-2014 10:50 AM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

There are things to doubt with Carey, but I really don't doubt that he'd make a change at ANY position if the person isn't getting it done, he seems to have no problem with that.

I think that's pretty typical for the QB like Graham (not as highly touted) to be the emergency QB, and letting Root get more reps with the scout team. I wouldn't read into that too much.

I will say this, I think this offense (while simple in some ways) is fairly difficult for a QB to learn, there's a lot of reads and it takes some time to get those down. I don't care how much talent you have, if you can't make the reads in this offense and some of the easy short passes, you won't be successful in it.
10-07-2014 10:56 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(10-07-2014 10:50 AM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 10:26 AM)timxlydon Wrote:  For what it is worth, Graham is the emergency QB instead of Root. We know that Carey will burn a red shirt if he thinks it will help the team win. Maybe Root isn't coming along as fast as they would like, or Carey would rather save him for the future.

No Root is being redshirted in order to save his eligibility for the future. Graham will never be a starter in this system, that is why he is the emergency backup with no redshirt placed on him.
As long as Graham doesn't appear in a game, he redshirted. There isn't some magical tag you have to place on him before the season starts that makes him a redshirt.

As for the thread though, it's probably hard to judge Root when he's running the opposing teams offense.
10-07-2014 11:02 AM
Advertisement

BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
It's all but impossible to get an accurate perspective on a QB based on his redshirt season when all he's doing is essentially running the scout team.

Lynch was terrible in practice up through the start of 2010 and I don't think a lot of people were really enamored with Harnish during his redshirt year either.

We won't know until he sees the field.
10-07-2014 11:23 AM
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Harnish didn't really start to wow anyone until his junior year.
10-07-2014 11:37 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-07-2014 11:37 AM)Field Turf Wrote:  Harnish didn't really start to wow anyone until his junior year.

and not until game 4 (Minny) or 5 (Akron) into the season right?
10-07-2014 11:43 AM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(10-07-2014 11:43 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 11:37 AM)Field Turf Wrote:  Harnish didn't really start to wow anyone until his junior year.

I think it was the Illinois game because he almost single-handedly won us that game when the Illini held Spann to 15 yards rushing on the day.
10-07-2014 11:48 AM
1st String

(10-07-2014 11:48 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  

I think it was the Illinois game because he almost single-handedly won us that game when the Illini held Spann to 15 yards rushing on the day.

The refs held NIU from winning that game.
10-07-2014 11:51 AM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

He came out of the gate pretty well. He threw a boner of an INT against ND but had 178 yards rushing. He had 315 total yards against Illinois. He actually had less than 100 total yards against Minnesota. He played pretty much flawless the last half of the season, though.
10-07-2014 11:51 AM
shack66 Offline
2nd String

I thought Grady was the starter at first? Chandler had the injury at the end of the soph year and didn't agree with the coach to have surgery which put him in the dog house. Once he got in, he stayed in.
10-07-2014 11:55 AM
1st String

(10-07-2014 11:55 AM)shack66 Wrote:  I thought Grady was the starter at first? Chandler had the injury at the end of the soph year and didn't agree with the coach to have surgery which put him in the dog house. Once he got in, he stayed in.

That was 2009, I believe, where Grady came out as the starter. Chandler was the starter from the beginning of the season in 2010.
10-07-2014 11:56 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(10-07-2014 11:56 AM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 11:55 AM)shack66 Wrote:  I thought Grady was the starter at first? Chandler had the injury at the end of the soph year and didn't agree with the coach to have surgery which put him in the dog house. Once he got in, he stayed in.

That was 2009, I believe, where Grady came out as the starter. Chandler was the starter from the beginning of the season in 2010.
Nope it was 2010. The 2009 opener was the Wisconsin game where NIU nearly came back from 28-6 down in the 4th.

2010 was the infamous Grady Iowa State opener. Miami year.
10-07-2014 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.