Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A DIFFERENT LOOK AT THE QB "CONTROVERSY"
Bookmark and Share
cagy cager Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
A DIFFERENT LOOK AT THE QB "CONTROVERSY"
I truly don't understand all the angst about the two QB's fighting it out. These are competitive, college athletes. That means they have fought and clawed and battled for playing time since there were in Pee Wee football. Nobody is ever handed a starting spot and these guys know this. I believe competition brings out the best in the best athletes and I don't believe this "looking over my shoulder" concept applies to guys who have not ever been "the guy" at this level before.

Since there is hardly a consensus as to who is the better guy to run the offense, let them duke it out--and may the best Huskie win. I don't care if that is this week, next week or in week 10. Playing both has allowed the Huskies to win 80% of this year's games which ain't a bad percentage.

If and when one emerges as the clear cut winner, great...if not, I will enjoy the talents and accomplishments of each. I really do not believe this competition makes the Huskies weaker, but stronger. Hopefully, each guy pushes the other to excel and we all reap the rewards.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 09:08 PM by cagy cager.)
10-06-2014 09:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: A DIFFERENT LOOK AT THE QB "CONTROVERSY"
Most teams that begin rotating QBs are not successful doing so and at least part of the reason is that it disrupts the rhythm and timing of the offense.

It did not work very well at all for Toledo last season and I do not think that it will work well for NIU this season.

Your point about having them fight for and win the job is valid but that is what preseason camp or the very early non conference games are for. By the time you reach the conference portion of your schedule you should have figured out who your starter is.

I don't think that is is bad to try to get meaningful playing time for your number 2 guy but playing them every other series or so is not the way that I would like to see that done.

On tonight's coaches show Coach Carey said that Drew is still the starter and I took that as a possible positive.
10-06-2014 09:43 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
(10-06-2014 09:43 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  Most teams that begin rotating QBs are not successful doing so and at least part of the reason is that it disrupts the rhythm and timing of the offense.

It did not work very well at all for Toledo last season and I do not think that it will work well for NIU this season.

Your point about having them fight for and win the job is valid but that is what preseason camp or the very early non conference games are for. By the time you reach the conference portion of your schedule you should have figured out who your starter is.

I don't think that is is bad to try to get meaningful playing time for your number 2 guy but playing them every other series or so is not the way that I would like to see that done.

On tonight's coaches show Coach Carey said that Drew is still the starter and I took that as a possible positive.

Yeah, except Toledo didn't use two QBs in a system last year. Owens was the starter, when he got hurt woodside played that's it.

They really only did it in 2011, a year they went 7-1 in MAC play with a 3 pt loss to NIU and 9-4 overall. Hardly a disaster or really that big of a deal at all when you look back at it.

2012 I think they did it a bit but to to the 2011 extent, but they also went 9-4 and 7-1 that year as well I believe.
10-06-2014 09:49 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-06-2014 09:49 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 09:43 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  Most teams that begin rotating QBs are not successful doing so and at least part of the reason is that it disrupts the rhythm and timing of the offense.

Yeah, except Toledo didn't use two QBs in a system last year. Owens was the starter, when he got hurt woodside played that's it.

They really only did it in 2011, a year they went 7-1 in MAC play with a 3 pt loss to NIU and 9-4 overall. Hardly a disaster or really that big of a deal at all when you look back at it.

2012 I think they did it a bit but to to the 2011 extent, but they also went 9-4 and 7-1 that year as well I believe.

Time gets away from me, I was thinking of the rotation that they had with Dantin and Owens. I never felt tat it worked very well for them.
10-06-2014 10:00 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(10-06-2014 09:07 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  I truly don't understand all the angst about the two QB's fighting it out. These are competitive, college athletes. That means they have fought and clawed and battled for playing time since there were in Pee Wee football. Nobody is ever handed a starting spot and these guys know this. I believe competition brings out the best in the best athletes and I don't believe this "looking over my shoulder" concept applies to guys who have not ever been "the guy" at this level before.

Since there is hardly a consensus as to who is the better guy to run the offense, let them duke it out--and may the best Huskie win. I don't care if that is this week, next week or in week 10. Playing both has allowed the Huskies to win 80% of this year's games which ain't a bad percentage.

If and when one emerges as the clear cut winner, great...if not, I will enjoy the talents and accomplishments of each. I really do not believe this competition makes the Huskies weaker, but stronger. Hopefully, each guy pushes the other to excel and we all reap the rewards.

If was even a competition that would be an entirely other thing. It is not a competition, its a philosophy that has been implemented. There is something to be said for the best player earning a spot, and what that does for morale of a player. Right now everyone knows Carey thinks Maddie and Hare both suck and does not want to commit to one or the other. I think that has had a really really damaging effect on the overall mindset of this entire team. As the Huskiewire article mentioned, no identity at all.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 10:30 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
10-06-2014 10:30 PM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

(10-06-2014 09:07 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  I truly don't understand all the angst about the two QB's fighting it out. These are competitive, college athletes. That means they have fought and clawed and battled for playing time since there were in Pee Wee football. Nobody is ever handed a starting spot and these guys know this. I believe competition brings out the best in the best athletes and I don't believe this "looking over my shoulder" concept applies to guys who have not ever been "the guy" at this level before.

from the QB perspective, yes i agree, but from the other player's perspective this is difficult. its the equivalent of having a boss one day and then having a different boss the next day. No way are you going to do your best.

Each QB has a different cadence, skill set and mannerisms. Maddie does a great job of leading a receiver with a pass, Hare is more likely to hit the target (we caught a few players run their routes, stop and turn, when Hare was in).

Its time to pull the trigger on this QB debacle (its been upgraded). We are in a good position with two decent QBs. They are young, they just need to build confidence, and this isn't helping.
10-06-2014 10:44 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(10-06-2014 10:44 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  

from the QB perspective, yes i agree, but from the other player's perspective this is difficult. its the equivalent of having a boss one day and then having a different boss the next day. No way are you going to do your best.

Each QB has a different cadence, skill set and mannerisms. Maddie does a great job of leading a receiver with a pass, Hare is more likely to hit the target (we caught a few players run their routes, stop and turn, when Hare was in).

Its time to pull the trigger on this QB debacle (its been upgraded). We are in a good position with two decent QBs. They are young, they just need to build confidence, and this isn't helping.

Very well said
10-06-2014 10:50 PM
Advertisement

17Huskies Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2014 10:00 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  

Time gets away from me, I was thinking of the rotation that they had with Dantin and Owens. I never felt tat it worked very well for them.

We always use that example...because they had a 3 point loss to NIU, 66-63...considering their offense scored 63 points in the game...doesn't seem like the best example. Toledo didn't win the MAC that year because of their D, not the QB situation.
10-07-2014 09:00 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(10-06-2014 10:00 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  

I think we probably thought that because NIU beat them and it seemed odd they rotated in that game, but overall when I looked back at record and obviously not evey game so I can't elaborate on that but I don't think it was that detrimental.

I think their losses that year came to NIU Ohio state Boise and someone else. Not a bad season for a QB issue IMO.
10-07-2014 09:28 AM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
(10-06-2014 10:44 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  

+ 1,000 good post
10-07-2014 11:15 AM
Advertisement

Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
I remember when Harnish was the starting QB, Kill/Doeren would sometimes throw Lynch in for a drive or two, and this would be long before garbage time in key games.

Carey is doing something similar with Hare playing the role of Harnish and Maddie playing Lynch. I just know that Carey has seen a while lot more of his QBs than I have, so in Carey I trust.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 08:32 AM by Huskie_Jon.)
10-07-2014 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shack66 Offline
2nd String

Usually when Lynch came in, it wasn't for a complete series. It was for one play here or there. Anytime he got extended time was garbage time.
10-07-2014 04:07 PM
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

This is completely different than other examples cited where a qb with a different skill set (typically a runner) enters a game as a change of pace to throw a new wrinkle at an opposing defense. What Carey is doing is a product of the coaching staff's indecision about which qb to play. And it's THREE players who have been in the mix.

Why l strongly dislike it isn't so much the games - it's the practices. This offensive unit has not had the opportunity to gel because three quarterbacks have been splitting reps with the first unit since spring training camp. Anyone who has played football knows how important timing is to an offense. Something as simple as a different cadence can have an effect on the success of a play. The NIU offense looks out of sync and ineffective right now and it's because there is no continuity behind center.

The Huskies have a tremendous offensive line yet they are not running the ball well, let alone throwing it. I'm puzzled how anyone could support Carey and his indecision on the most important position.
10-07-2014 04:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.